• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DGames Summer Mafia Bash - Day 2 Begins. Deadline Day 2 begins - Deadline 8:00 A.M. CST Monday 6/24

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
There's been a lot of talk about Doop being rules lawyery and reachy with his points. When that's read badly, it's typically because they're looking to find something to pin people on that's flimsy. Scum oftentimes just want to lynch someone instead of wanting to lynch someone that is scum.

I think Doop's response to Gorf fits the same sort of ilk that others have commented on. Can you go back through that slot's posts and tell me if you think his comments give you that vibe?
What an eloquent way to, like, sum that up man. :)

DOWN WITH THE FASCIST REGIME! PEACE AND LOVE, PEACE AND LOVE!

road island
Talk about, like, a dystopian world right there! This used to be a beautiful green Earth, and now it's turned into this awful island of roads. Everyone's too busy trying to get to where they need to go and there's no reason to stop and appreciate what's around them because it's full of freakin' roads man!

you actually said a butt load of stuff so let me go find your specific question
Thank you.
I'm a burnout and even I could tell Tom wasn't being nice when he said that!

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
ran do you feel there is a lack of initiative shown in the other aspects of my play? or just when it concerns me vs you?

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Not sure, I’ll get back to you when I find out.
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
Quote dump to follow:

Ryker, you actually know(knew) me pretty well. I was TBG on AiB and NS2. I think my meta's changed a lot since then bc I've been herding cats on Mafiascum where people are ****ing dumb, but I suppose that's for you to judge.

Psa to all, I work 10-6ish Pacific time, so don't expect me during those hours. I might be able to mobile post if I'm stuck in compile hell but don't count on it.

vote marshy. It's really incongruent that his first post is both encouraging breadcrumbing and also warning against giving role info.
yeah, sure, read below

you're actually not all that wrong here, and I think I'm closer to maven's mindset than you think. I read it, it felt non-genuine, so I re-scanned it to try to poke at what made it feel off to me.

neither piece of advice is bad, but the difference between them makes the post not read to me as a natural line of logic, it reads to me as you going into it with a mindset of wanting to be seen giving advice/LAMIST.

to answer Gorf, I also really don't get why you're keeping an RVS vote on someone who's absent, and not voting me? it's weirdly cautious and I thought my post might prod you into it, but for some reason you double down that you don't like my stance on your opener and that it's different from maven, but you don't want to follow up on that. maybe you're just a less aggressive player, and it's just our styles being opposed, but I can see scum!you not wanting to look like you're omgus-ing me and settling for the tepid fos instead. why fos? why not vote?
did a brief re-read, no other real scumleans aside from some tonal issues with Ran

a bunch of townleans but I don't want to talk about those
Honestly man, as long as I know you know what you're doin, we should be totally groovy... But don't you dare sully the good name of the #HBC brother, you won't like us when we're angry man! But yea man, Maven89 Maven89 how groovy of a dude would you say Doop over here?
@Dooplissity brother, marshy just called your reason for voting him heinous and a crime against human rights. And I mean I'm all for an apathetic lifestyle but he just called your reason for suspicion total malarkey! I didn't necessarily think you were foolin' around when you said that his asking for breadcrumbs and for flower-power roles not to out themselves was off putting and whatever, but now you're sending some mixed signals. Can you, like, explain where your mind was when you called marshy out for being a narc? Do you still think he's a narc?
Okay, did some re-reading. I mean, if the lawyer-y bit was Doop outing Marshy by calling the kettle black, then I don't think it's too big of a problem. Sure, Doop was grabbing for straws really early in the game, but can you really blame him? I think it was poor reasoning to vote Marshy, yet the game progressed regardless. I think that Doop felt that Marshy was trying to influence all of the town at once by guiding how the power roles/vanillies should claim and whatnot. Do I think it's a stretch? Yeah, but the game needed to start somewhere. I'm not huge on trying to guide how others behave in the game, and neither is Doop apparently. But, it obviously isn't lynch worthy on Marshy's part, and I don't believe it to be lynch worthy on Doop's either imo. It could be stated that Marshy was trying to guide town. Doop thought he was trying to benefit himself. Null reads on both fronts; nothing too compelling here. It's early, Doop was reaching, Marshy was trying to help.

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
Man Tom has really bumped on my tier list of most entertaining players to play mafia with! Good stuff man, totally keep up the good work! :)

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Just concerning that response, so yes me at the moment. I'm fine with waiting but I'd like some elaboration on that it doesn't and why you felt the need to post that 'my post was a lot'. Then I want your updated stance on me after others touch on us.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Smart phones were a mistake. Gonna try to sleep instead of sitting here refreshing. UP, thanks, but awful timing. I'd like to talk with you some more tomorrow. You've been active so it probably won't be a problem.

If Maven shows up, someone make him do something. If Rockin shows up, that'll take care of itself. If Nabe shows up, I hope he makes me laugh.

Send my love to Kary. Good night.

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
Also, UP, if you're dumping a bunch of quotes, consider spoiler tags for readability.
Figured they were collapsable in browsers. I left it there for my own sake so I could look at the Doop/Gorf posts.

If you could take a look at my analysis, that would be pretty helpful as well.

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
I'm heading to bed soon, but bluntly:

Tom is striking me as town. I don't want to weigh that too much, but I'm feeling town for him.

I got you as null. Tom is more town than you are, and I still can't decide if the exchange was TvT or TvS.

Honestly I didn't really think that you v Tom was a huge argument that needed analysis, but I can look into it more if necessary.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
ran, if there were only one person i'd be interested in the opinion of you v me, its actually JTB re: #187 which spawned #315

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I also want him to respond to my #315.

JeXs

Smash Champion
I'm sorry, maybe I'm only focusing on myself, but I do not like this exchange at all. As far as I've seen, JTB's first read was me being town, in which I commented that it is pretty unsafe to do so too early in the game. JTB eventually prompts JeXs for reads, in which they're only comment is (paraphrased into how I interpreted it): "Funny funny; my only read is the same as your only read!" JeXs has been quick to agree and double down on many "popular" opinions immediately once they come to our attention. KevinM proposes a Rockin wagon, JeXs is the first to join without hesitation or consideration. JTB makes what JeXs first notices as an easy read and makes the same read.

Now, I didn't want to make this vote until later, because I wanted to wait for a more broad take on JeXs' posts, because they surely are going to be more wary. If I did this correctly, their next opinion is going to be a "hot take" that nobody has claimed, to go against my argument and make it meaningless. I wish I didn't have to pressure them too early, but I have been extremely indecisive in the past, so I'm going to go out on a limb with my gut call. More development would have been ideal, but I feel there is enough to make a case.

What if that's only what I wanted you to think?
You're not the only read that I have, I'm not sure where you got that as I stated in my early exchange with Ran that I have Gorf as a town lean. I didn't arrive at my read of you due to it being a popular opinion, but I'll probably have a hard time convincing you of that.

JeXs

Smash Champion
Ran, I see you in thread, talk to me. I find it hard to believe that you of all people have me as a scum lean due to me hopping onto Rockin's wagon and asking you what you felt about Gorf.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
It's a vibe and mostly your early questioning to me wrt your gorf stance. Who is scum to you, Jex? Can I have some more stances from you? Thoughts on Tom v Me?

JeXs

Smash Champion
But why though, what about that rubs you the wrong way? I don't have much of a read on Tom vs you. Tom feels townie to me in general and you're feeling fairly weird to me. Your posts are coming off as forced and I feel like you're getting anxious and flustered.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I have been calm through out all this, where do you get the feeling that I am anxious and forced? I am mobile so will go over it in a bit, but I actually want full stances from you Jex. You said you had other reads so I am curious about those. Also, why are you surprised I am scum leaning you?

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352

Votecount: 12:23 AM CST 6/12

Tom (1): Ranmaru,
Rockin (3): KevinM, JeXs, Tom
Marshy (1): Maven89,
Pythag (3): Kary, Ryker, Dooplissity,
Ranmaru (3): Gorf, JTB, marshy
FrozenFlame (1): Mac
JeXs (2): FrozenFlame, UtopianPoyzin
No Lynch (0):

Not Voting (3): Nabe, Pythag, Rockin,

Deadline June 17th 7:00pm CST. Takes 9/17 to lynch.

Proding Maven89 Maven89

JeXs

Smash Champion
From your flurry of posts after your interactions with Tom. It felt to me like you felt you had to do something, it didn't feel natural at all.
Ryker: I want full stances from you, and I especially want to know your stance on me and Tom and Jex.
Marshy: Tell me what you think of Tom, and Jex.
Macman: Talk to me.

I really don't have anything else to say at the moment, I posted my reads. If you guys got questions, let me know. Otherwise I'll just let the thread breathe.
This one in particular stands out to me, it really felt like you were trying to emulate your town play.

I have a bunch of nulls and some that I feel are townie. Nothing stands out as particularly scummy to me yet. Is there anyone specifically you'd like to know? I am surprised that you in particular are scum leaning me from those reasons you stated, considering we've played quite a bit in the past.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I know you don't have any strong pings at the moment, but what do you feel about Gorf at the moment?
.... Well that came out weird. My brain clearly does not work.
I'll explain why this rubs me the wrong way. You cared more to ask me about a town lean rather then focusing on scumhunting, which seems like you were asking simply to ask without really making a conclusion. Also, you explain to me it was because you were asking to see if my mindset lined up with yours, but you admitting that you came off as weird doesn't seem like you were confident in why you were asking me in the first place. Otherwise, if you were truly asking me to check my mindset is aligning with yours, you would be totally comfortable with the post and wouldn't state it looks weird.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Jex: I haven't had many stances in the thread, and I felt it would be important to give out my reads and a vote. Part of that was:

A: Responding to JTB
B: Responding to Tom who commented on my #315
C: Posting reads
D: Talking to others (as I feel it's important to talk things out with others and I like to interact 1v1 in the thread instead of just talking to everyone)

I don't see how any of that is forced, or anxious. I also like to comment on things in real time and it meshes with analysis or reads I make.

JeXs

Smash Champion
I'll explain why this rubs me the wrong way. You cared more to ask me about a town lean rather then focusing on scumhunting, which seems like you were asking simply to ask without really making a conclusion. Also, you explain to me it was because you were asking to see if my mindset lined up with yours, but you admitting that you came off as weird doesn't seem like you were confident in why you were asking me in the first place. Otherwise, if you were truly asking me to check my mindset is aligning with yours, you would be totally comfortable with the post and wouldn't state it looks weird.
Uhh... if you didn't notice, I said it came off weird because I used at the moment twice. And yes, I asked you that to have a feel for where your mind was.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Fair enough. It lessens my scum lean of you to a slight scum lean, that actually makes more sense for why you posted that. I'm still interested in more posting from you, though. Also, why are you on the Rockin wagon? Who would you vote (I guess an FOS) if you weren't voting Rockin?

JeXs

Smash Champion
******* be reading the thread but then they leave.
Weird I feel like this page is actually pretty good content from myself. What do you mean by airy? Also fair on the first two lines. Rockin could be scum but it's actually just a null wagon at the moment, but I'd be willing to compromise to him if need be. Please, give me an example of how I miss intent. (Seriously) It's also vibes too from them. I don't think Jex being willing to wagon Rockin should be enough for you to favor him and you know that. When you give your stances can you be a doll and give him a serious look over?
Posts like these makes me feel that you're anxious, and not natural. The first one comes off as you wanting to get responses to your posts ASAP, which honestly I don't see the hurry for. The second one I find it weird that you had to especially say that you had good content yourself, it makes your prior posts feel artificial in a sense.

JeXs

Smash Champion
Fair enough. It lessens my scum lean of you to a slight scum lean, that actually makes more sense for why you posted that. I'm still interested in more posting from you, though. Also, why are you on the Rockin wagon? Who would you vote (I guess an FOS) if you weren't voting Rockin?
My vote is better on Rockin than to be not voting. I'd just be voting on another of the current existing wagons.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
That's me being confident that I feel my posts are good, especially that page. Before, I have had no strong pings, so no good content as of yet. The first post there, I like to joke around especially if there are 8 people reading and not much posting, that's my way of getting ******* to post.

JeXs

Smash Champion
Hmm, okay. I'll take a look over your posts again when I feel better. You're still pretty null to me fwiw, it just felt really weird and forced to me. But I'll read over again later.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Marshy, I don't see the reason why you are waiting to say anything about Tom v Me, especially since you are voting me.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Re-read:

Maven: #115

Has yet to follow up on his Marshy vote, nor post at all, as he has been prodded. I'm starting to think he's scum. In our previous game together, he was obvious town, and caught scum instantly in early game. Usually when he's scum he tends to lurk. I can't blame him, as I do the same. Time to wagon Maven.

Tom:

I'm trying to re-read Tom, and I still don't like his potshots at me when I made simple reading mistakes. So far, there's one post that I can say can make my read of him go down to null-scum, but only because I'm starting to think of a different set of scum at the moment. (Therefore I'm not going to state which one it is until much later unless he really wants to know) I do note his question to Mac, but I need a little more. Seeing his responses to my #315, I just don't think it's a good post from him.

KevinM:

I'm starting to like KevinM. I can see that he's thinking about who may be scum rather then blindly tunneling.

Jex:

I was wrong on my point with him seeming to scum slip. His response is fair, as he did mention in the moment twice, which is a funny mistake. I do think he could be doing a little bit more, and I do expect him to be much more active, but my memory of his play is fuzzy. I'll also put him to null-scum.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
There were several things that caught my attention. Some were ugly, while others are more wtf.

Hi everyone! I haven't played in a long time, I feel like I've forgotten how to play mafia.

What do you mean by your playstyle is eccentric? How do you think your playstyle would differ as town and scum?
I can't tell if they were really asking them this, or maybe there was some sort of hidden ajenda with it. either way, the question felt like it wouldn't benefit much in the general sense of town, so why ask this?

One sec, getting to JeXs first.

Hmm, as I was talking with Kary in the previous game, my biggest thing is that I whenever I see something out of the ordinary, I would investigate, which is fine, but usually my interpretation of "out of the ordinary" is wrong in the end. "Oh, player A is trying to help town? Hm, looks like player A is scum trying to look like town by helping town, just to kill us later." "Player B is completely innocent? Well maybe that's just what Player B wants you to think." I advise you all to not look too far into my train of thought, as it's usually plummeting off of a bridge.

I mean, my goal as town is to make myself appear blatantly town to help town, and my goal as scum is to appear "blatantly town" to backstab town. I know that me saying this makes myself seem super suspicious, given that I try to make my scum game as close as possible to my town game, but I would be lying if I said that my goal as scum is to be the D1 lynch, if I was scum. Originally, my goal in the game, regardless if I was scum or town, was to survive for as long as possible, resorting only to self-preservation. It was a terrible mindset, especially as town trying to outlast the other townies. I dropped that mentality in the previous game, and am now committed to helping town from then forward.
I was more surprised that he answered. LOL

yeah, sure, read below

you're actually not all that wrong here, and I think I'm closer to maven's mindset than you think. I read it, it felt non-genuine, so I re-scanned it to try to poke at what made it feel off to me.

neither piece of advice is bad, but the difference between them makes the post not read to me as a natural line of logic, it reads to me as you going into it with a mindset of wanting to be seen giving advice/LAMIST.

to answer Gorf, I also really don't get why you're keeping an RVS vote on someone who's absent, and not voting me? it's weirdly cautious and I thought my post might prod you into it, but for some reason you double down that you don't like my stance on your opener and that it's different from maven, but you don't want to follow up on that. maybe you're just a less aggressive player, and it's just our styles being opposed, but I can see scum!you not wanting to look like you're omgus-ing me and settling for the tepid fos instead. why fos? why not vote?

can
I never quite understood the exchange between the two. It's been mentioned, but it was a nice reminder. Then again, I'm also biased with this cause my last game didn't have this reminder and town (myself included) flubbed on that mafia game LOL.

oh whoops I hit submit I'm tired

can someone else weigh in on this? I know i'm making a lot out of a little, given that it's like page 6, but this is weird, yes?
I wasn't a fan of this post in particular. Most of the post before this have been against Marshy, and when it seemed like he couldn't get much more out of it, he opened the door for discussion as well as anyone else willing to take a crack at it. Again, I don't think it was a particular topic needed for discussion.

After that, there's been some form of discussion between each other. Some were good points pointed out, others may need more elaboration on their stances.

At the beginning, there wasn't anything that jumped out in regards of Ranmaru's post. However, the brief exchange between Tom and Ranmaru was odd. Not because of what Tom did, but more of what Ranmaru did. It seemed he got flustered, voted Tom, and made a shoddy stance on it as well as other things.

Reads:

Maven: He posted that Marshy's first post was forced, but never followed up on this nor did he continue posting and is absent right now. So he's more of a question mark I'd consider. Null question mark.

Doop: Re-reading the posts and Marshy's FOS, I'm not really feeling scum vibes from Doop. I'm entirely null on him.

Gorf: I feel like he's posting in a way that shows he doesn't care to risk seeming willy nilly, and will mention that (and yes I will discredit his read on me) he has always pushed me and been incorrect each time, especially last game. Null-town.

KevinM: I'm not sure. I'm assuming the scum tell he is basing his read on me is incorrect, and since I know Kevin not to be one to explain, I'll assume that he either believes I'm scum for pushing a newbie, or for my playstyle (asking questions). Of which I would say: newbs can be scum too, so I push for them, and my playstyle, it's null. JTB states I don't question KevinM, but I have no questions for him and I know he wouldn't explain anyway, so it would be a waste. This is why I respond to Kevin in the way I do. If someone votes you without a reason, there really isn't much you can do but laugh it off. (Yes I know that I asked UTO about this knowing that, he's an exception because he's new and that's good content to have)

So basically, KevinM is null to me and I need a flip of association to truly read him.

Jex: Jex scumlean. He's fine with lending his vote onto Rockin without really trying to push for his own avenues. I also think he might have scum slipped, as he asked me about my gorf read knowing I had no strong feelings. (This may signify a scum connection between Jex and Gorf, but at the moment I don't feel they are connected nor do we have to buddy hunt yet until we get a scum flip)

JTB: Town lean, I liked his questioning towards Marshy on him pushing Doop but not mentioning Maven. Generally I liked his posts, and I find him wrong on me especially since he was able to garner a read on an answer from a question he asked me how I could form a read from. (I just find that funny)

Pythag: I still think that him not pushing Uto but claiming his self meta is scummy is null-scum at best but he didn't try to change anything, he stayed in the same place. (Which is why I have him as null leaning) I'm less confident about Pythag right now.

Tom: He's not trying to determine his read on me, more so point out the negatives and even use me being wrong against me. Meaning, he's not considering that I'm town that was wrong. He doesn't even follow up with my reasoning after, where I state that I was expecting Pytag to vote, and waiting is the smarter move to see how that develops. I made the mistake of expecting a much bigger post. Does that truly make me scum? No. I also feel his recent post on my large post is just more painting me scummy without considering scum / town motivation. He just wants to lynch, and that's scum indicative to me.

Marshy: He's null to me. The second most recent game, I town read him when he was scum. My most recent game I had with him, I scum read him when he was town. My hands are in the air when it comes to reading him right now. My best bet is to just push his buddy and he will hard oppose that, as he did in the game where I read him as town when he was scum. Not someone I have a concern with at the moment.

Ryker: Null, because I don't understand him voting Pytag over me but I assume I'm lower priority to him right now. I would actually like his stances. Overall I don't have a problem with him at the moment, Ryker is someone I have a hard time reading as well but would rather look into him based on connections as that would be easier for me.

Kary: I'm liking his questioning so far and his questions of Ryker. I'm actually not sure if he's seriously voting Pythag at the moment though. Null-town due to questioning and tone, mostly.

Frozenflame: He's in the same category as Kary right now, and I like his vote on Jex at the moment. I like his questioning, and I like that he brings up the point that Gorf could be postering to be read as null (I assume that's what he means). I did consider that, but again, I haven't seen him do that as scum nor do I think he's that confident at scum but I may be wrong as I have mostly seen his town games (gorf).

Macman: Null, I feel like he needs to post more and actually make a push before I have a better stance on him. Also I would like to interact with him.
So there are some key things I have issue with in regards of this post.

He feels that Jex is a scumlean, and Tom is scum in general. That's fine (as I have a similar stance on the two). The problem is that he likes Frozenflame's questioning and vote on Jex, but ranmaru himself is not voting with frozenflame in regards of Jex. It's not like there isn't going to be a wagon on Tom anytime soon (since none seem interested in him). I just find the reasoning inconsistant with his words and stances. if he wanted to question Tom and press them more for questions, he would've done it much better then this shoddy hot air he's doing on Tom.

What I'm saying is that the vote on Tom feels more like he's been personally attacked then him feeling that he's really scum.

Weird I feel like this page is actually pretty good content from myself. What do you mean by airy? Also fair on the first two lines. *Rockin could be scum* but it's actually just a null wagon at the moment, but I'd be willing to compromise to him if need be. Please, give me an example of how I miss intent. (Seriously) It's also vibes too from them. I don't think Jex being willing to wagon Rockin should be enough for you to favor him and you know that. When you give your stances can you be a doll and give him a serious look over?
I'd love to hear the reasoning behind this.

So you're willing to jump on the wagon, despite your scumlean and scum pick in the same wagon? :S

Also I'm liking my vote more than Pythag or Maven. I would appreciate anyone talking to me about Tom.
I hate this sooooo much.

Now that I got those things out the way, I'd like to talk a bit more about stuff.

As far as the wagon, I'm not scared of the person who started the wagon. However, I'm more concerned for the people who are in the wagon (Jex and Tom). I don't remember Jex saying anything of importance in regards to the topics that's been talked about. I know Tom made posts here and there, but nothing in particular hasn't offended my senses in regards to the reading.

I'd like to hear more from Kary, Dooplissity, Uptopian, JTB, Maven, and Pythag. I felt like I either didn't hear much of them, or they may have posted, but I still don't have a clear picture of where they stand in the situation. I'd like to know from each of them of their thoughts on the topic that's been going on thus far, as well as key people they might think are scummy (if there's even any).

Nabe, Python, Maven, Jexs, and Rockin... why y’all don’t have a vote on someone yet. Got a SMOOTH wagon over here to ride if you want in. Rockin you can join too don’t be scared
You know I don't like joining in on random bandwagons, KevinM. >:C

Top Bottom