• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DGames Summer Mafia Bash - Day 2 Begins. Deadline Day 2 begins - Deadline 8:00 A.M. CST Monday 6/24

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I think it's important for you to answer that question in the case my lynch does go through, because 'that's just a lot' is flimsy. Also I answered in that manner because that's how much thought I put into the early game. Why does that make me scum over town?

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
also i was totally talking to kevin and its rude of you to interrupt?
Also I understand that if you are making a push on someone it's better to wait and see how things go but interrupting your conversation with Kevin doesn't actually hurt you because you aren't really trying to develop your read on me, you just want to lynch me. Now for example, Kevin mentioning that I'm scum before Uto has the time to respond to me would be rude because it taints Uto's perception of me and his own response.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
By the way I gut read you as scum and Kevin as null.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Reads:

Maven: He posted that Marshy's first post was forced, but never followed up on this nor did he continue posting and is absent right now. So he's more of a question mark I'd consider. Null question mark.

Doop: Re-reading the posts and Marshy's FOS, I'm not really feeling scum vibes from Doop. I'm entirely null on him.

Gorf: I feel like he's posting in a way that shows he doesn't care to risk seeming willy nilly, and will mention that (and yes I will discredit his read on me) he has always pushed me and been incorrect each time, especially last game. Null-town.

KevinM: I'm not sure. I'm assuming the scum tell he is basing his read on me is incorrect, and since I know Kevin not to be one to explain, I'll assume that he either believes I'm scum for pushing a newbie, or for my playstyle (asking questions). Of which I would say: newbs can be scum too, so I push for them, and my playstyle, it's null. JTB states I don't question KevinM, but I have no questions for him and I know he wouldn't explain anyway, so it would be a waste. This is why I respond to Kevin in the way I do. If someone votes you without a reason, there really isn't much you can do but laugh it off. (Yes I know that I asked UTO about this knowing that, he's an exception because he's new and that's good content to have)

So basically, KevinM is null to me and I need a flip of association to truly read him.

Jex: Jex scumlean. He's fine with lending his vote onto Rockin without really trying to push for his own avenues. I also think he might have scum slipped, as he asked me about my gorf read knowing I had no strong feelings. (This may signify a scum connection between Jex and Gorf, but at the moment I don't feel they are connected nor do we have to buddy hunt yet until we get a scum flip)

JTB: Town lean, I liked his questioning towards Marshy on him pushing Doop but not mentioning Maven. Generally I liked his posts, and I find him wrong on me especially since he was able to garner a read on an answer from a question he asked me how I could form a read from. (I just find that funny)

Pythag: I still think that him not pushing Uto but claiming his self meta is scummy is null-scum at best but he didn't try to change anything, he stayed in the same place. (Which is why I have him as null leaning) I'm less confident about Pythag right now.

Tom: He's not trying to determine his read on me, more so point out the negatives and even use me being wrong against me. Meaning, he's not considering that I'm town that was wrong. He doesn't even follow up with my reasoning after, where I state that I was expecting Pytag to vote, and waiting is the smarter move to see how that develops. I made the mistake of expecting a much bigger post. Does that truly make me scum? No. I also feel his recent post on my large post is just more painting me scummy without considering scum / town motivation. He just wants to lynch, and that's scum indicative to me.

Marshy: He's null to me. The second most recent game, I town read him when he was scum. My most recent game I had with him, I scum read him when he was town. My hands are in the air when it comes to reading him right now. My best bet is to just push his buddy and he will hard oppose that, as he did in the game where I read him as town when he was scum. Not someone I have a concern with at the moment.

Ryker: Null, because I don't understand him voting Pytag over me but I assume I'm lower priority to him right now. I would actually like his stances. Overall I don't have a problem with him at the moment, Ryker is someone I have a hard time reading as well but would rather look into him based on connections as that would be easier for me.

Kary: I'm liking his questioning so far and his questions of Ryker. I'm actually not sure if he's seriously voting Pythag at the moment though. Null-town due to questioning and tone, mostly.

Frozenflame: He's in the same category as Kary right now, and I like his vote on Jex at the moment. I like his questioning, and I like that he brings up the point that Gorf could be postering to be read as null (I assume that's what he means). I did consider that, but again, I haven't seen him do that as scum nor do I think he's that confident at scum but I may be wrong as I have mostly seen his town games (gorf).

Macman: Null, I feel like he needs to post more and actually make a push before I have a better stance on him. Also I would like to interact with him.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
So, I think scum may be in:

[Tom, Jex, Maven, Pytag] > Kevin M most likely. So if we lynch there, we should be good but we also have to consider players like Nabe and Rockin who have yet to post content.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
HOWEVER Ran stands out far more (and this sucks being on mobile because I can't bring up the posts) but the change in how he was posted from questioning the new player UP (questioning every piece of his posts) versus how he responded to veteran player Kevin (very short responses, no questioning) makes me believe that Ran is attempting to earn town points off picking on someone that won't bite back
The reason for that is that any question I ask Kevinm would not be fruitful, this is why you see me just respond to him in a joking manner. Plus, I have no real questions to ask him. If I did have any, I would ask him. Do note that I have asked other players questions when I have the thought to. Now you see me questioning Tom, does that still make me seem like I'm afraid to question who may bite harder then a new player? I want to repeat that I like to push newer players because, new players can be scum too. I also generally am all for inactive lynches (that seem scummy) because those can yield scum as well. So if you feel I'm scum for pushing a newer player over an experienced player, you're wrong, and my early game approach would not be as fruitful because a veteran player will have more skin to handle my reaction test. Seriously, it's a thing I do every early game and I think it's good content to start with.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Ryker: I want full stances from you, and I especially want to know your stance on me and Tom and Jex.
Marshy: Tell me what you think of Tom, and Jex.
Macman: Talk to me.

I really don't have anything else to say at the moment, I posted my reads. If you guys got questions, let me know. Otherwise I'll just let the thread breathe.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
(Before I have to clarify myself, when I ask for stance, I mean explaining the reasoning behind it)

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
******* be reading the thread but then they leave.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Ryker: I want full stances from you, and I especially want to know your stance on me and Tom and Jex.
Your not getting a full list from me right now. I volunteer them constantly, so you'll almost certainly have one, if not more, by the end of the phase. It would be pointless and distracting right now.

Tom is interesting and I will refrain from further elaboration about that slot at this moment.

Your latest flurry of posts is airy and does little to allow me to read you. I disagree with the lens through which you see the game on slots like Tom and Jexs and I think you read incorrectly into intent and that you miss intent when it is not explicitly stated.

Jexs is one of my favorite people right now because he's willing to bandwagon on Rockin.

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
One, I had no scum read on him, but found his tone concerning with reference to him voting Gorf. So I wanted to ask him about it, to elaborate.

This: "At one point, I genuinely thought this was a good move D1." seemed like it was justification for voting Gorf, as if implying that Gord doing that is a bad move and that's why he is voting him for it. It's like "I used to think it was a good move, but now that I know it isn't, this makes you scum, Gord" That's why I asked him to elaborate if his vote was serious or not, it's important to know. His "I was told to watch out for you" tone seemed off, as if he didn't really care to push Gorf but did anyway. It was little to go off of, but it's early game, and I do so to get the ball rolling. Also, if he is proxying his vote "I was told to watch out for you." Then I would think it's important to know who he is following, because in that case, he would be giving up responsibility for his vote and giving it to someone else. I think this is called appeal to authority.

Obviously, I wanted to know why he didn't respond to my vote. His response was fair, and mostly correct, I was pressuring him and I like to do that in early game, as I feel it's better than a vote on Rockin or Mac (even though I voted Mac but I had nothing so I was ok with that). If I ask a person why they posted something, I am looking for their motivation for posting it, although I had to clarify my questioning as I didn't get the answer I wanted in the first place. It wasn't the scummiest thing, it was very little, I had nothing else though and I asked anyway. All in all you actually got a read from his response, and I liked his response, so I would say it did help to give me a read on him.

Now my thought process in pushing this: "Well the thread is slow right now, not much content, I might as well ask him some questions to get discussion rolling, and find out his thought process with his vote" that's it right there.

---

He's looking like newbie townie to me right now, especially with his response to me and pythag. I also like that he is forthcoming, and made a good point that even though he felt some content from the other game would not really fit here, he was asked a question and it's better to give that information to the whole town rather than withhold it to avoid looking scummy. He understood that I was trying to pressure a response out of him, and comes off as genuine. Stances kind of weak, but that's what I would expect from a newbie.

This would therefore be null.
See man, like, reading this sort of logorrhea makes my eyes totally go in like four different directions at the same time, it's like that one time my parole officer was mouthing off to me about why the ****ing government tried locking me up! Not cool man!

I'm not tryna lambaste you or anything, but that's some serious stretching to justify pressuring a new player dude. Like, to be honest, it reads to me as you trying to scramble onto something early game to pursue a narcread on, and the newbie didn't bite. Especially since, like, since that point you haven't really made any of the pursuits I'm used to seeing out of you (I know you've got a readslist on the next page but, like, I'll get to that when I get to that man). This sounds like a justification to backpedal, and from reading the interaction back I can totally see narc!ran trying to paint town!poyzin in a bad light with some wicked confusing questions.

Aside from that, like, that could've been seriously condensed man. Like, totally overexplained bro. I had to like put a pause to my hippie trance music just so I wouldn't catch some shut eye reading it.

I'm not interested in playing the meta-myself-into-a-transcendental-reality sort of game, but usually when you're town you're like a freakin' Mexican jumping bean with how sporadic your play is, even with this bit of time in the game man! Like, you haven't even annoyed me with your bombarding of dumb questions!

But what kinda puts me over the top on my read on you is the fact that my main man marshy hasn't tried making me stop pushing you. I'm not kidding dude, I was kind of curious to see him step in and tell me you're being town. Cuz in the past, like, he's tried putting the brakes on me when we've all been town in a game. And then I grumble in the corner and rip on a bleezy to try calming down. And I pack that TO THE FREAKIN BRIM with walrus before it kicks in man!

Yea :)

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Your latest flurry of posts is airy and does little to allow me to read you. I disagree with the lens through which you see the game on slots like Tom and Jexs and I think you read incorrectly into intent and that you miss intent when it is not explicitly stated.

Jexs is one of my favorite people right now because he's willing to bandwagon on Rockin.
Weird I feel like this page is actually pretty good content from myself. What do you mean by airy? Also fair on the first two lines. Rockin could be scum but it's actually just a null wagon at the moment, but I'd be willing to compromise to him if need be. Please, give me an example of how I miss intent. (Seriously) It's also vibes too from them. I don't think Jex being willing to wagon Rockin should be enough for you to favor him and you know that. When you give your stances can you be a doll and give him a serious look over?

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
See man, like, reading this sort of logorrhea makes my eyes totally go in like four different directions at the same time, it's like that one time my parole officer was mouthing off to me about why the ****ing government tried locking me up! Not cool man!

I'm not tryna lambaste you or anything, but that's some serious stretching to justify pressuring a new player dude. Like, to be honest, it reads to me as you trying to scramble onto something early game to pursue a narcread on, and the newbie didn't bite. Especially since, like, since that point you haven't really made any of the pursuits I'm used to seeing out of you (I know you've got a readslist on the next page but, like, I'll get to that when I get to that man). This sounds like a justification to backpedal, and from reading the interaction back I can totally see narc!ran trying to paint town!poyzin in a bad light with some wicked confusing questions.

Aside from that, like, that could've been seriously condensed man. Like, totally overexplained bro. I had to like put a pause to my hippie trance music just so I wouldn't catch some shut eye reading it.

I'm not interested in playing the meta-myself-into-a-transcendental-reality sort of game, but usually when you're town you're like a freakin' Mexican jumping bean with how sporadic your play is, even with this bit of time in the game man! Like, you haven't even annoyed me with your bombarding of dumb questions!

But what kinda puts me over the top on my read on you is the fact that my main man marshy hasn't tried making me stop pushing you. I'm not kidding dude, I was kind of curious to see him step in and tell me you're being town. Cuz in the past, like, he's tried putting the brakes on me when we've all been town in a game. And then I grumble in the corner and rip on a bleezy to try calming down. And I pack that TO THE FREAKIN BRIM with walrus before it kicks in man!

Yea :)
That's how I roll, I over-explain things. You know that and I know that you won't read it but you know I still do that. There's nothing for me to jump about like a Mexican my dude. Every game is different. This game is more like Mafia Sleep Over to me. (And Ryker and Marshy were both in that as well) I had the same problem in the early game. There, scum were [Dabuz, Frozenflame+Gheb, and Werekill]. I'll jump about if there are really scummymcscummypersons in the game but scum seem to be either:

1. Conservative and playing well
2. Inactive and yet to post content

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
So what is your stance on Marshy right now then? How does what you say here factor into that?

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Weird I feel like this page is actually pretty good content from myself. What do you mean by airy? Also fair on the first two lines. Rockin could be scum but it's actually just a null wagon at the moment, but I'd be willing to compromise to him if need be. Please, give me an example of how I miss intent. (Seriously) It's also vibes too from them. I don't think Jex being willing to wagon Rockin should be enough for you to favor him and you know that. When you give your stances can you be a doll and give him a serious look over?
I don't have a problem with this page existing. It is a starting point, so that's fine. The problem is that a lot of those reads are "these are the reasons that I don't actually have a read on that guy." Those are fairly unhelpful. The reads you do have, I mostly disagree with. That's not necessarily a problem. I expect to disagree with you, especially early on. I can take those reads to track and read you later, but right now they don't do very much for me at all. I don't see value in them on their own merit because I think you're mostly wrong. They have minimal value for reading you because they're just the starting point and I don't have future behavior from you, defined reads on others, or player flips to compare to it yet.

That's why I'm not posting one at the moment. I'd call like 4 slots null and tell some of the more difficult slots in the game to read how I'd intend to read them in the future.

At the moment, I essentially just have a baby scum read on Maven and a strong desire to see wagons forming that could cause people to end up as lynched if they fail in the court of public opinion or run out of time and become consolidation lynches. As such, if you gain traction with that Tom vote, I love it. Right now, it's boring.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
That's fine then, because they'll surely develop into stronger reads as the game goes on this week. The vote may be boring but it's only the second day of a ten day deadline so I'm cool with the vote right now. Plus I don't think my vote would be fruitful on Rockin right at the moment when I null read him.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Also I'm liking my vote more than Pythag or Maven. I would appreciate anyone talking to me about Tom.

#HBC | Gorf

Dude man that Jex read is freakin' jarring especially since you mention that Rockin' has like no content. Like, what's the harm in proxying his vote onto what you should be considering a joke wagon, and now you say things like this:

Narcmaru said:
There's nothing for me to jump about like a Mexican my dude.
yet you use a lack of pushing his own avenues as rationale for a scumread. It's been, like, 26 1/2 hours since the game started, and he was here for a snippet of time. Like, I dunno, what do you expect man?

I also think it's totally presumptuous to say that Tom is simply trying to lynch you instead of read you. Like, that's like trying to narrate his life story when you're not even his freakin' brain man! Like, trying to walk a mile in your shoes, I find it hard to believe based on what's been presented that you can gather that from Tom rather than Kevin.

So what is your stance on Marshy right now then? How does what you say here factor into that?
I mean, like, I'll never allow myself to feel totally comfortable calling marshy a flower child until at least Day 2, but I usually operate under the assumption that he is one on Day 1 unless something REALLY hits me man. With that said, I thought his doop catch was pretty solid and I'm sad that the court of public opinion seems to disagree with that being sus. But it's not really worth doing much with without doop around, and I like that marshy recognized that and looked elsewhere. I'd say he's ultimately null, leaning child of the flower. But I feel like his not holding me back on my read of you has, like, zero bearing on that read man. And it'd be kinda rude to hold him accountable if you wind up being town, you know what I mean man?

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
There's nothing for me to jump about like a Mexican my dude. Every game is different. This game is more like Mafia Sleep Over to me. (And Ryker and Marshy were both in that as well) I had the same problem in the early game.
can you talk more about this? like why did you have difficulty getting into this game as opposed to the hyperactive style you usually employ as town from the jump?

#HBC | Gorf

To be totally crystal, I don't mind your rationale on your Maven and Pythag reads, and I don't care much about your other reads. They're there.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
What I mean is, there hasn't been any obvious scum. That's when I just shoot from the hip. The example I gave, Mafia Sleep Over, Mafia were 1/3 inactive (Dabuz), 1/3 inactive and conservative (Gheb+FrozenFlame), and 1/3 Werekill (Werekill). Plus a lot of people have yet to post, so I just pressured a newbie, instead of waiting.

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Not sure, I’ll get back to you when I find out.
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
giraffelasergun giraffelasergun
#HBC | Red Ryu #HBC | Red Ryu

Unvote
It was a "serious" vote, which is one that I would have no doubtly changed, but given that I'm not about to hammer Gorf, a mere vote doesn't really matter. Sorry Gorf, I still love you.
You didn't count my unvote twice.

Also Vote: JeXs

Will elaborate in two posts from now. I am addressing Ran in my next post, and talking about Jex in the post after that. Stay tuned after the break

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
can you talk more about this? like why did you have difficulty getting into this game as opposed to the hyperactive style you usually employ as town from the jump?
I think my previous post answers that. I had the same problem in Mafia Sleep Over 3 (you were there, check it), and I also had the same problem in Dr. Who Mafia, and *again* Mafia were inactive *and* competent (Soup + some inactive guy who was replaced by Zen). I think it'll be easy for you and others to see I'm town here as time goes on this week.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Gorf: I have more from Tom to read by then I have on Kevin. All I have on Kevin is "Oh ran's scum cool, ran is conf scum, ran who are your buddies." I think Tom was potshotting me with flimsy statements and it shows he is not considering both sides and 'just a lot' doesn't deserve a lynch. I also get a strong scum lean from his post asking me about my stance on you. I'll go quote it.

I know you don't have any strong pings at the moment, but what do you feel about Gorf at the moment?
.... Well that came out weird. My brain clearly does not work.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Wait Ran why am i even a null read when I’m 200% confirmed town? I don’t think you’re even reading my posts I already said that earlier.

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Not sure, I’ll get back to you when I find out.
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
I wasn't sure what your thought process was in your original QnA with me, but now that I can see your full thinking, we can meet in the middle about our misunderstanding.

"At one point, I genuinely thought this was a good move D1." seemed like it was justification for voting Gorf,
Not justification, was a complete tangent. Wasn't even thinking about scumhunting in my first post ngl.

"I was told to watch out for you"
There was no better reason to vote for Gorf than there was for me to vote for you. Marshy put Gorf in a negative connotation pregame, and I was kinda annoyed at the "persona" he was putting on about walri. It was obvious at that point that I didn't know Gorf well. Now that I have seen more and more of Gorf's posts, it is more endearing and I'm not to frustrated about the lack of seriousness.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Tom and Ran interaction definitely not seeming very T v T by the way. Only thing that sucks is I’m always going to 100% sight read Tom as a handsome paragon of virtue so that’s inherently biased even if it went the other way.

Shame we can’t find out because we are killing Rockin D0.

Dooplissity

BRoomer
BRoomer
Dude man that Jex read is freakin' jarring especially since you mention that Rockin' has like no content. Like, what's the harm in proxying his vote onto what you should be considering a joke wagon, and now you say things like this:

yet you use a lack of pushing his own avenues as rationale for a scumread. It's been, like, 26 1/2 hours since the game started, and he was here for a snippet of time. Like, I dunno, what do you expect man?

I also think it's totally presumptuous to say that Tom is simply trying to lynch you instead of read you. Like, that's like trying to narrate his life story when you're not even his freakin' brain man! Like, trying to walk a mile in your shoes, I find it hard to believe based on what's been presented that you can gather that from Tom rather than Kevin.

I mean, like, I'll never allow myself to feel totally comfortable calling marshy a flower child until at least Day 2, but I usually operate under the assumption that he is one on Day 1 unless something REALLY hits me man. With that said, I thought his doop catch was pretty solid and I'm sad that the court of public opinion seems to disagree with that being sus. But it's not really worth doing much with without doop around, and I like that marshy recognized that and looked elsewhere. I'd say he's ultimately null, leaning child of the flower. But I feel like his not holding me back on my read of you has, like, zero bearing on that read man. And it'd be kinda rude to hold him accountable if you wind up being town, you know what I mean man?
ick

this is how you encourage lurking/stagnation. get this mentality tf out of the game

reread pythag/rockin (short reread lmao) since they were the leading wagons along with Ran, and I really dislike this quip. the tone is too prickly/alarmed
Not sure that straw you’ve grasped will support your weight.
I also don't like his opener - not directly because he shades Poyzin but more because it's a big neutral post without any commentary on the gamestate.

Rockin seems less-than-useful but I don't get the wagon. Meta? Joke?

Ran's tone is still weird but now that I have more posts from him I think it's genuine-weird and not scum-weird, so I'm 180ing on his slot.

still dont love marshy but I grok last his post @ me and can see the line of thought he's painting more now

vote pythag

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Ran if you were right on your Tom scum lean do you immediately go after FF?
No, not immediately, because I'd need to re-read their interaction to do so. But if there's a connection, I'd surely consider it. Also noting because I do like his opener.

Top Bottom