• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Being jaded to the education system =/= will power not existing. You're taking, in the scope of life, one REALLY small part and equating it to the whole.
I'm not jaded about will power because I became jaded with the education system. The above is a livejournal narrative about how I lost my will power by becoming jaded about how things worked. For me it's not an issue about caring, it's an issue about placing too much of a value on integrity because I was too naive to notice that there was no integrity to the system in the first place. I used this to highlight the fact that will power is a very square peg used to fill a variety of holes that exist for good reasons. And should continue to exist because they have value.

To clarify, I believe people have will power, it's just that will power often dissipates as quickly as a caffeine rush and results in people becoming complacent with their own work leading them into trouble and repeating the cycle. I think will power can be effective for some who have an immense drive to fight their own impulses. I also think they are effective in leading to self-discovery and learning how to channel said impulses to improving productivity. However, I don't think that I understand will power in its entirety, but I certainly do believe 'it' exists.

Also I don't know where I committed a parts to whole flaw. I never meant to draw my example as being representative of the world as a whole and it should not be interpreted as such. My story is a small one among many and it's message is to be wary of what the system says it is in comparison to what it is. Because when you are in such a system, your very livelihood is dependent on being successful in it. And there are many ways to twist a system with holes in order to get what you want out of it. In a curved class not everyone can get an A.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
I misinterpreted you using that example then apologies.

I disagree on will power being a quick burst for the most part but we're debating something at that point that really can't be quantified. Honestly though if you're being led astray by impulse and becoming complacent there's clearly a lack of motivation there.

Maybe I'm speaking to much from my own experience, I took a negative impact in life turned it around and saw massive gains through determination and an unwillingness to settle for failure or less then what I wanted to attain.That coupled with the fact that a lot of the "father" figures in my life instilled hard-work and a sort of "leave everything on the court at the end of the day" attitude, leads me to believe that no offense but if you're unhappy with your life a majority of the time, you're willingly allowing yourself to not succeed.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
yeah i actually missed a question on a test because of that
jokes on me for spending too much time with you guys

man sometimes reading acrostics post its like someone took my brain, taught it proper english and how to write long sentences, and then had it write posts. its just that when theres stuff in there i disagree with its hard to like the entire post ;-;

yeah i actually missed a question on a test because of that
jokes on me for spending too much time with you guys

man sometimes reading acrostics post its like someone took my brain, taught it proper english and how to write long sentences, and then had it write posts. its just that when theres stuff in there i disagree with its hard to like the entire post ;-;
Sorry you had to suffer through that comparison, Acrostic. At least you're not completely Xonar. There is hope.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
Acrostic if you value the journey more than the reward, why does it matter to you whether or not someone else cuts straight to the reward? You can enjoy the journey without them having to, is that not right?

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
Kevin, everyone has not been given the same nature/nuture you've been given. More often than not what people perceive as will is gone the next day, or next week, etc. This is especially true among those who are not raised around self-agency with regards to their life.

That being said, strong will power does exist. Like you said, you are an example.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
I hereby ban all sex talk. Any talk of sex after this post will be censored and infractions will ensue.
You do not have this power. You can merely report and hope the mods agree.

Hey rake, DSGYHT?

Orboknown

Smash Hero
This whole second half has been wtf. Bucs winning four of six? Fins beat the pats? Green bays qb. The lions bipolarness

Orboknown

Smash Hero
It's not a good day till you have made fun of rake and the family which took him in when he got exiled from the weird ass planet he originates from

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
(that joke was referring to the uniquely gross chemical mixture of Uranus's atmosphere btw guys not anuses let's keep it classy)

Top Bottom