• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
The amount of good posts and likes handed out on this page pleases me. Keep it up, plebeians!

:059:

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
i am curious how many anime related reaction pictures you actually have xonar

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
I wish I had a better work ethic when it comes to schoolwork. My senior year taught me that grade school sucks and that there's no point in working as diligently toward things that don't interest you as they make out of it (a mindset I stand by)... But the habits carried over to college which sucks :/. Easy A's I could have had went to shiz, and now my GPA blows more than I wish it did. Oh well though, it's the first semester of freshmen year and I know now that putting a bit of work goes a long way. Hopefully my now improving habits will carry on throughout.

Oh and I know you guys care so much which is why I'm posting it here.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
I wish I had a better work ethic when it comes to schoolwork. My senior year taught me that grade school sucks and that there's no point in working as diligently toward things that don't interest you as they make out of it (a mindset I stand by)... But the habits carried over to college which sucks :/. Easy A's I could have had went to shiz, and now my GPA blows more than I wish it did. Oh well though, it's the first semester of freshmen year and I know now that putting a bit of work goes a long way. Hopefully my now improving habits will carry on throughout. Oh and I know you guys care so much which is why I'm posting it here.
So you're going to use will power to make yourself become a more studious person with a higher GPA.

#HBC | Gorf

So the reason you couldn't do well was because you didn't have enough concern over doing well in the first place.
Absolutely. I hate the grade school system. I honestly think it's corrupt, and when I realized so I stopped working toward it. I was a near straight A student in my junior year in high school taking (some) AP courses. Senior year I had all AP and was doing really well to start off. Then I realized grade school wasn't worth the effort and stopped caring completely. I went from the guy people thought was a genius to the guy people couldn't believe was screwing up his high school career almost overnight, and 100% by choice. I gained bad habits, and I'd rather work toward my own goals, something college allows you to do that grade school just doesnt.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Pretty much, yes. That's accurate.
I don't believe in will power. I don't really believe people make significant changes. I believe people come to an understanding with themselves when they try to seriously change themselves. But I don't believe that there is a switch or spark that drives a person the whole nine yards to where they want to be. I use the word will power in a condoning manner because I used to believe and a part of me still gravitates towards the naive idea that putting in effort on my own end results in changes on the other end. That's not necessarily how it always works and people feel that the results gained are not representative of the effort put in. Just to note, I didn't become jaded because I felt that the effort I put in didn't pay out. I was used to low pay outs for my effort because I put long hours into things and I absorb slowly, but what I absorb it sticks. I'm used to low pay out, but I'm not used to the other face of the game. I'm not a moral person, but I am someone who values the journey taken rather than the rewards gained.

I had always applied myself. But when I decided to seriously apply myself in my second semester of my freshman year of introductory level classes I found out that special groups on campus received exclusive testing material that were identical to the test. In this case, there was one such group that received the material from the professor himself because they were for the underprivileged looking to becoming physicians. I know this directly because I was hitting the library hard and eventually came across one of them and we ended up being very close. Got a copy of the test and got the highest possible score that semester. And I realized how ridiculous the whole thing was given paper tests and their only value in an education is being able to process a massive influx of students in and out with ease rather than actually valuing the learning process in each and every one of them. When I tried talking to her about it, I realized that she felt completely entitled to her 4.0 GPA. She felt that she had put in the effort to get those scores and everyone else was not studying as hard or was not studying as intelligently. The only thing is that it's very easy to study intelligently when you have a carbon copy of the test lying on your desk a good month or two before the actual thing.

When I stopped caring about school, I still made all the easy A's. Because they were precisely easy A's. I don't know how someone misses an easy A unless there is some heavy underlying stimulus to missing the grade on those classes. It could also be because I was on academic scholarship and had too much to lose by not playing the game to their standards. However, I couldn't help valuing working my job over my education realizing the things I learned in class were oft too abstract to be applied in the work place and the application classes were too far and too varied to develop a real sense of skill in any of the techniques that were taught in any of my lab classes. I wanted to value my education because I realized that it still had some value to the outside world, but I really couldn't because I realized that my courses themselves hardly held themselves to a professional standard.

When I come to terms with myself and all my liberal feelings, I will be completely be about my paycheck. Not my future paycheck or the things I will do with my life, the massive opportunity or potential I have if I only put in the effort to achieve it. It will only be about money and you could look at my paycheck and correspond that to how I value myself currently as a human. Hard work, effort, education, and knowledge don't pay for utilities, food, and housing. Cold cash pays those things. And the marriage of the two will never meet if there isn't an employer willing to distribute his massive swag for your time in his expanding his/her brothel. Even the homeless read the New York Times. Some even live on it.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Being jaded to the education system =/= will power not existing

You're taking, in the scope of life, one REALLY small part and equating it to the whole.

#HBC | Gorf

I just stopped worrying about school and started thinking about making a life for myself with my music. I've always been smart, and to a degree I've always been lazy. I did enough to do well in school which isn't much in the first place. I always thought that I unfortunately needed to do well in school to get somewhere. And then I got to a point where I didn't need to do well anymore, so I shifted my priorities. I got really good at the piano and really knowledgable in music. By choice.

My grades were as follows:

AP Music Theory: A
Piano: A
AP Gov: C
Econ: C
AP Literature: D
AP Stats: F
AP Chem: F

Notice my two music classes were A's.

I'd skip class at school to practice, or to work on my schools musical (I was the vocal coach of the cast), or just to unwind and toast some walrus. Anything so that I wouldn't be wasting my time for two hours doing something that would NEVER MATTER TO ME AGAIN. Now that I'm new in college, it matters again. So I'm going to put my effort toward caring. The rest is easy.

Top Bottom