• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
@Acrostic
No, you're mistaking that verse for the awful Icona Pop bullcrap that influences young adults to crash their cars into the bridge just for the sake of being a ****ing moron.

#HBC | ѕoup

I forgot how much I liked Taking Back Sunday until soups last post reminded me of them out of nowhere...
and this other song I can't remember the name of but I know I like.

MakeDamnSure
Liar [It Takes One to Know One]

also Louder Now is a good album imo

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Go ahead and explain if you like. I don't see what would prevent them from being apt.

Although an agreed upon definition of "messages" in this context may help.

#HBC | ѕoup

Music is something to be interpreted, not judged. Not everyone will share the same feelings you do when it comes to it, but that's the beauty of music. I really hate sites like Pitchfork because they try and shove their lousy opinion on everyone like they're musically gifted and everyone else is a wild pack of animals who wouldn't know sublime taste if it hit them across the head. I was browsing them just so I can laugh and their latest review of Jay-z's new album literally is trying to a coin a phrase "Dad rap."

Also, Their review of CHZ is one of the most pretentious and awfully written things I've seen in a long time. Just search Burrito core and you'll understand what I mean.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Imo, there is a contradiction that something which can be viewed in many different perspective could be also be seen as being deep. For me, if something is deep is strikes at the core of a principle that holds true and can be applied despite people having many different perspectives. Ideas that lead to pragmatic solutions are deep in the way that words that can actually convey a physical value to the person who studies, understands, and applies it to their life can actually benefit from it.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Imo, there is a contradiction that something which can be viewed in many different perspective could be also be seen as being deep. For me, if something is deep is strikes at the core of a principle that holds true and can be applied despite people having many different perspectives. Ideas that lead to pragmatic solutions are deep in the way that words that can actually convey a physical value to the person who studies, understands, and applies it to their life can actually benefit from it.
I suppose it's fair to say that music isn't actually as much a matter of depth (a word usually used as a stand-in for "quality") as it is personal relevance. In fact, I think many songs benefit from being very accessible; a certain amount of subtlety is important, I think, because it forces a listener to participate a little more, but at the end of the day, an artist does want his or her audience to "get it." Usually.

I think you're right in the sense that a deep message can't really hit people universally in a song. If the message is buried deeply enough, most people won't hear it. But that doesn't change the fact that an important connection can be made with a song. A feeling that normally can't be described can be struck, and that grabs a listener in a meaningful way.

Like I said before, I think "deep" is often used as a synonym for "good," and that's probably not for the best. But songs can still be meaningful or relevant to specific people or groups of people in a way that can be difficult to explain, which makes them feel "deep." They connect deeply, on an individual basis. In my mind, that's a good way to describe "good."

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Hell yeah. I get why that would be surprising though.

It's probably the only heavy music I like. Unless you count Sleigh Bells as "heavy," but I think they're mostly just loud.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Nah, you're pretty good at contributing stuff.

Like, not all the time. But sometimes.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
I don't disagree with something being deep having something that resonates/connects deeply to people on an individual basis. I just qualify that if we're talking about a certain 'something' as being 'deep' that it will stand-out to people in a way that is universally understood and not be misinterpreted by others. If we're talking about someone playing a game such as Shadow of the Colossus and they come to strong interpretations that touch them then I would also qualify that as being deep, but the subject would be the person who plays the game and not the game itself.

I find deep to mean undercutting an issue or a topic. However, I take that a step further in that something that is deep should also have some bearing on a resolution to said issue or topic. Something that is not only theoretically a game changer but also actualizes as being relevant in changing how the game is played in real life. There is an even more pragmatic way of evaluating of how deep something is but its ironic because it strikes most people as being a shallow metric towards determining how deep an idea, thought, or concept ultimately is in the most pragmatic sense.

#HBC | Dancer

The nicest of the damned.
Hmmm, for a ****ty emo band I kinda liked that Jesus Christ song. =)

Still need to listen to more music though. I am actually making an effort to expend my musical tastes.

#HBC | ѕoup

Just try to listen to the whole album, if you don't like it then you can respectfully tell me why even though I will disregard your opinion completely.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
To be fair, if I were to recommend one song as a sampler, it would be Jesus.

I also just don't expect everybody to be enamored with the same stuff that enamors me. I've rarely gotten really into something just because someone else really, really wanted me to and told me it was really, really good.

#HBC | Nabe

Beneath it all, he had H-cups all along
Can't breathe, but the view is equal to the taste
Best Taking Back Sunday song is still Spin ssu.
These two posts one after the other made my day.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
I don't disagree with something being deep having something that resonates/connects deeply to people on an individual basis. I just qualify that if we're talking about a certain 'something' as being 'deep' that it will stand-out to people in a way that is universally understood and not be misinterpreted by others. If we're talking about someone playing a game such as Shadow of the Colossus and they come to strong interpretations that touch them then I would also qualify that as being deep, but the subject would be the person who plays the game and not the game itself
I guess I would argue that it's both. You're right in that it takes someone with a shovel and a will to dig to find buried treasure, but it works both ways. There needs to be treasure to find in the first place.

I find deep to mean undercutting an issue or a topic. However, I take that a step further in that something that is deep should also have some bearing on a resolution to said issue or topic. Something that is not only theoretically a game changer but also actualizes as being relevant in changing how the game is played in real life. There is an even more pragmatic way of evaluating of how deep something is but its ironic because it strikes most people as being a shallow metric towards determining how deep an idea, thought, or concept ultimately is in the most pragmatic sense.
When you say "relevant in changing how the game is played in real life," are you saying simply influencing the art form and affecting the course of its evolution, or are you talking about something bigger like the potential for a song to start a revolution? I'm reading it as the former, but to me that still seems more like a measurement influence/importance than of depth specifically. If you mean the latter, I'll get to that two paragraphs down.

Take Aphex Twin for example. Undoubtedly one of the most influential electronic artists of the last few decades. Has, in major ways, changed the kind of music being made today, influencing artists ranging from new millenium Radiohead to Skrillex (say what you want about him or dubstep more broadly; the point is it's a big thing and it's not going away). However, it would be nearly impossible to unearth a "deep message" in Aphex Twin's music, and I doubt even Richard David James would argue with that. They have goals; there's an intent to what kind of mood is trying to be provoked in you, but they don't convey a philosophical point. This is of course another argument for why music doesn't need to be deep to be good, but that's really a tangential topic.

If you are talking about music's effect on the world rather than just the music landscape, I guess I would agree that songs aren't ideal for igniting deep social change, but they can fuel what's already burning. A song that cries for revolution won't incite riots unless the listeners are already pretty much ready to riot. It's not that music is good for dredging up what's beneath the surface of society; it's that it's good for reflecting back what's just begun to surface.

But I mean, that's just the way I see it. I just listen to Tegan and Sara and think about gay stuff so what do I know?

Top Bottom