• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
Lol marshy.

Ryker, want portability?

Build your own desktop using a suitcase as your casing. Portability guaranteed.

:phone:

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
You'd be hard-pressed to find a laptop capable of running as high as D3 for under $800. There's some that might range around there but that's about it.

For perspective, my computer (which was just a shade under $500) cannot run D3 but it runs league at about 60 FPS just fine and jumps up to 70 or so with ease on medium settings.
Wuh? My Craptop, the one that gets ~25 FPS in League ON A GOOD DAY, can only just barely not handle Diablo. I have to put the settings down to **** tier, but it "runs." Ten more frames and it would even be "playable." I think you severely overestimate Diablo III.

L4D2, on the other hand, blue screens past the menu no matte what I try.

John2k4

The End of an Era
That is entirely possible. Only special things you would need would be a lot of fans/cooling options, shielding (for contacts on the boards), and a giant battery.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
My guess is you need to remove all fabric from the inside and add PLENTY of fans

But it's most certainly doable. I've seen cardboard box desktops before.

and even this:

this avatar.

Make it Rain!

Xonar|WashedLaundry
Wuh? My Craptop, the one that gets ~25 FPS in League ON A GOOD DAY, can only just barely not handle Diablo. I have to put the settings down to **** tier, but it "runs." Ten more frames and it would even be "playable." I think you severely overestimate Diablo III.

L4D2, on the other hand, blue screens past the menu no matte what I try.
Weird. The guys at Best Buy told me this thing couldn't do it all, I just took their word for it. I don't have the time or interest for D3 though. League already eats up so much of it just trying to get to your guys' level.

John2k4

The End of an Era
>People at Best Buy

There's your problem.

I've had horrible experiences at that place. The employees usually don't know ****, and are just told to sell things in any way possible.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
I agree that was the one I thought Ryker would be best with. I just offered alternatives in case I was wrong.

I could see him going for the third one too.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
Best Buy people don't know anything. The reason he told you the laptop couldn't handle stuff was to probably get you to buy a higher end one.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
Super late on Pandora/Spotify/Youtube discussion, but thanks for the recommendations.

On-topic: That's hilarious. I was just looking into buying a laptop because I'm going to be visiting a friend in Hawaii and we play League/other games together. I was actually considering buying this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-AS5750Z-4835-15-6-Inch-Laptop/dp/B007G7CO2C

It's an Acer model so chances are it's just fine and dandy enough, I'm guessing just by the fact that it has 4 gigs of ram that it's decent and can certainly play most games on it, but I'm not an expert.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
I also have an acer aspire and I haven't tried gaming on it yet because it seems too slow for anything.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
I'm not necessarily looking for the greatest gaming lap top in existence (those cost like 2000 dollars...), more just along the lines of something that can play games (even at the lowest settings) for a decent price.

What was horrible about it?

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
Nevermind, I have an Aspire Timeline X or something, which is a laptop and good for gaming.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
I'm not necessarily looking for the greatest gaming lap top in existence (those cost like 2000 dollars...), more just along the lines of something that can play games (even at the lowest settings) for a decent price.

What was horrible about it?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230216
wait until they're in stock and pounce on it. It has a dedicated video card and an integrated video card so you can crossfire, making it great for running games for cheap.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Okay, knowing what I want to do, specifics are what I need now.

Thinking about it.

I've essentially decided that a desktop is what I'm going to end up with. I still have this laptop which is more than enough for internet browsing, IMs, and the not resource intensive gaming that I would do anywhere other than home. That looks to be both in my price range and capable of doing what I want it to do with it, even over an extended period of time. Am I likely to run into issues with it or is there something better out there for my purposes that I should look toward?

Aside from Newegg, I don't know particular places to look online for a better deal.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
Just because this is something that needs to be reaffirmed, my Jupiter avatar is ancient as ****.

Top Bottom