• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Seeing as there is no pattern in distribution, just 50/50 per person, there is no solution. Hats should be distributed evenly then it should be able to be solved.

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
There is a solution though I'm not sure what it is. I've only seen the 4 hats problem. Though in this case the first guy has
50/50 chance of living.
That's the only thing I know for sure.

Axel

J|Zεη
Seeing as there is no pattern in distribution, just 50/50 per person, there is no solution. Hats should be distributed evenly then it should be able to be solved.
There is a solution.

OBLITERATED

I choose cyan.
Basically you are to determine a solution that will allow the maximum number of people to live. The answer wont be the color that you would choose but rather what each person should say.

And I only ask that you use spoiler tags if you have done the riddle before.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
Are people allowed to communicate through means other than words? Like, could I touch someone on the right shoulder to signify red, and the other shoulder to signify blue?

If not, here's my answer:

I would have the person at the back of the line either shout the word or say the word non-chalantly. Shouting represents that the next person to be called upon should say Red. Saying the word nonchalantly suggests that the next person's hat is Cyan.

So, hypothetically, the person at the back of the line is the only one not guaranteed to live because he has to guess his color. But even if he doesn't guess correctly, he still passes on the code.

Ex: Person at the back of the line shouts Red, implying that the next person's hat is red. The next person, knowing that their own hat is red because the last person shouted it, says "Red" nonchalantly to suggest that the person's hat in front of them is Cyan, and so on and so forth.

Axel

J|Zεη
You cannot communicate by any other means. No touching and no alteration of the voice. If the aliens find you to be altering the tone of your voice, you will be obliterated.

Rajam

Smash Champion
Man this next week is going to be hell. So much work to catch up on before the semester ends.

Brain Teaser time:

Use spoiler or collapse tags if you have already come across this riddle before. Otherwise open discussion is fine. No google of course.

You've been abducted by Aliens! Fortunately (or unfortunately) you're not alone as 9 others have been abducted along with you. The aliens are a part of an intergalactic society and would like to test if the human race is worthy of joining their confederation. If not the human race will be destroyed!

[glow]:O[/glow]

[glow]"Humans! Tomorrow we line you up in a single-file line, one in-front of the other. Each person will be able to see all of the people in front of him, but may not look any other direction. Each of you will be given a Cyan Hat or a Red Hat randomly. You may not see what color hat you are wearing, but as you can see the people in front of you, you will be able to see their hats. Starting from the back of the line and progressing forward, each person will guess out loud which color hat they believe they are wearing. You may speak only "Cyan" or "Red". If you are wrong you will be immediately obliterated a long with the country you represent on your planet. If you guess right, you will live."[/glow]

After this, the aliens left you all in a room to discuss how to go about tomorrow's event. What is the maximum number of lives you can guarantee and how?

(the distribution of hats is random. Could be 10 red, 9 cyan; 8 red, 2 cyan; 5 red, 5 cyan; etc.)

I love it
9 are guaranteed to live, 1 is random. The last in the line, aka the first saying his hat is random. Basically the last guy in line shouts "cyan" if he sees an odd amount of cyan hats in front of him. Next guy, if he sees an odd even amount of cyan hats will know his own hat is red, otherwise is cyan, and so on.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Doesn't work, hats are distributed randomly. What if everyone has cyan?
Or the 9 in front of you have cyan and you have red?

Random distribution makes this riddle impossible.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
Voice alterations and spelling aside, I can guarantee at least 5 live, but that's it.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Each number represents someone's position in line. The 10th person says what color 9 has. 9 will then say his or her color hat according to what 10 said. 8 will then say the color hat 7 is wearing, and 7 will say it. 6 will say it for 5, 4 will say it for 3, and 2 will say it for 1, guaranteeing at least 5 alive.

Rajam

Smash Champion
Doesn't work, hats are distributed randomly. What if everyone has cyan?
Or the 9 in front of you have cyan and you have red?

Random distribution makes this riddle impossible.
No, it works. The first guy guessing his hat just gives the hint to everyone else in front of him by saying which hat color he sees has an odd amount. If the last guy sees 9 cyan hats in front of him, he will shout "cyan". The 2nd guy will see 8 cyan hats in front of him, and with the hint given by the previous guy will know his own hat is cyan, and hence will say "cyan". 3rd guy will see 7 seven cyan hats in front of him, and with the hints given by the 1st and 2nd guy will know his own hat is cyan and hence will say "cyan", and so on.

The first guy will only survive if he is lucky. The other 9 in front of him will be guaranteed to live thanks to the hint the 1st guy gave plus the info every one is saying when it's their turn to guess.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Wrong, because in that case you have a pre-set system, while it is clear that that is illegal in the challenge.

How would people know what you're hinting at without conversation outside of the challenge?

Rajam

Smash Champion
Wrong, because in that case you have a pre-set system, while it is clear that that is illegal in the challenge.

How would people know what you're hinting at without conversation outside of the challenge?
People can guess their hat out loud and they have a night to plan what they'll do at the "event", that's how :p

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
Here's my answer:

It's right to the point I created it to, but I don't know if there's a better answer. You can guarantee the lives (and nations) of five of the ten people involved in the hat game as long as each one of them is true to their word to follow the plan ahead of time.

Starting with the person in the back of the line: they say aloud the color of the hat directly in front of them. This guarantees the correctness of the 'guess' the next person will have to take, and leaves the person in the back of the line with a 50/50 chance of also being correct by luck. Continuing this pattern with the third person called on giving the color of the hat in front of them you can give a total of 5 participants a free pass at correctly identifying their hat.

Odds give you an average of 7-8 people alive at the end of the day total assuming a totally random hat spread.

Rajam's answer seems legit though

EDIT for hilariousness:

[COLLAPSE="Alternatively... if you feel like bending the rules a little by omission and just generally being illogical about it...."]If you feel like being a total prick to the aliens... have person #10 sacrifice themselves for the cause and rattle off the colors of the hats in front of him in order before obliteration :p

Otherwise... you begin blatantly cheating by the fact they never said you couldn't give your hat to the person in front of you... First person puts his hat on the next persons head, says the color of it -> doesn't have a hat anymore -> obliteration -> Persons #9 says the color -> saved -> pass it on to win[/COLLAPSE]

Axel

J|Zεη
Hey Zen, what has two thumbs and doesn't give a crap?
Infernape because pokimunz dontz poopz

Now tell me what got two thumbs and knows how to spit rhymes?
Two thumbs up, you goin' point 'em at this guy
Al Edison couldn't be this fly, so ask how I feel and you know I reply like

I feel so, awesome
How you feel, awesome
I guess that's, awesome
Shorty you fine and ya body is, awesome
Wanna roll? Awesome
Well let's go. Awesome

loloookay @dh

Axel

J|Zεη
Swiss is put into a room. Two of his friends, Ryker and X1-12, are put into this room with him. This room has only one exit, a steel bolted door. In the room there is a table with a gun and a note that reads: "This gun contains 1 bullet. None of you may leave until one of you is shot and killed. Dun. dun. dun...."

"y did it say dun dun dun lolwut? anyway this should be easy." Swiss said as he grabbed the gun from the table. "dayvig...at long last..."

In the end all three friends make it out alive and unharmed. How is this so?

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
Someone gave CPR to the person who got shot saving him obviously.

And the answer to mine is Bob Kelso.

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
We are always accepting applications for more hats

And my answer is: "Because it's a piece of paper with no powers whatsoever, the door was unlocked"

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Yeah go ahead man.
Ok, this goes along with the assumption that all of you can make plans the night before.

What you do is have everyone agree that if he or she is the first one to say the color, that person counts the number of cyan and red hats. That person then says the color of the hat that has the odd total.

That guy has a 50/50 chance of living, but everyone else is guaranteed. All you do when your turn comes up is count the number of the color that's supposed to be odd, and if the total is odd, your hat is the opposite color. If it's even, then your hat is the hat that brings the total to an odd amount, so you say that color.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Wow nice. Have you heard the riddle or something similar before? If not, how did you come to the answer?
It took a bit of thinking, haha. I figured
that the only way you could signal something would be the naming of the color itself. From there, it took me a bit to figure out what exactly you could signal, and I realized that the number of hats of each color out there was the only numerical value that is available to everyone equally. After that, it was simple to figure out the odd/even system.

Axel

J|Zεη
It took a bit of thinking, haha. I figured
that the only way you could signal something would be the naming of the color itself. From there, it took me a bit to figure out what exactly you could signal, and I realized that the number of hats of each color out there was the only numerical value that is available to everyone equally. After that, it was simple to figure out the odd/even system.
Simple? hah great stuff.

17 points

Zen, what is your avatar from?
Hit-girl from kick-***.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0YyZqp70Gg

The comic is awesome.

Top Bottom