• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
It's the most notable avatar you had iIrc, but my memory is also **** so I'm probably forgetting another major one.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
No, you got it right. I love Derpy a lot, even if I didn't watch mlp.

But really though, I was just thinking about something moe.
Like, konata or someone.

She's goddamn cute with that blue hair.

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
The president used to be regarded as a man of stature, a man of power, a man of dignity. Now, thanks to the television, his job has been transformed into striving to maintain a decent visual relationship with his country in order to maintain power. Television has dumbed down the idea of the president and made the title focused around menial needs, such as good looks, and proper social etiquette. Without the TV, presidents wouldn’t feel forced to annihilate their stature as our leader in order to keep up the façade as our friend or as the well-kept man. We used to hire the person best fit to run our country; now Americans look to hire the one they can connect to the most.

Before the television, people would reach out in order to be well educated regarding the people looking to become president. Now, with the luxury that is the television, we can turn on our TV, look at who’s running and what’s being said about another person and base our votes solely on that. The president’s job has dwindled down to “projecting images of himself” [Source C] in order to win his audience, the American people, over. It’s become deplorable how much advertising and slander presidential candidates will resort to in order to make themselves shine above the rest. Not only that, but now hosts of debates have the ability to do what they can to appeal to THEIR audiences and get as high of ratings as they can. They can wane the argumentative, complex side of debating and let simplicity of the event reign almighty, in order to make the “whole thing look pretty good” [Source F] to the most inane viewers. Samuel L Jackson was even cited saying himself that he voted for Barack Obama simply because he was black. Did he necessarily mean that explicitly? No, but he DID make sharp reference to the fact that there was a huge demographic backing Barack Obama because he was black, revealing what was meant to be tacit code. It’s a travesty that Americans have dismantled their mental capacity and made the presidential elections about image, but as long as things like television are around, that will sadly stay the norm.

Likewise, the television has given us, the common people, a way to visually connect with our presidential candidates, so of course it’d be ideal for them to manipulate and take advantage of that opportunity with the television. The standard used to be that presidents were a higher up figure, meant to defend our nation; now the standard has been set in such a way that the president “unburdens himself” [Source B] to such a degree that he’s relatable to the most absent-minded, which has a large portion of nonvoters that can be turned voters. In fact, according to the chart in Source D, the proportion between ratings of the presidential debates and the years of such debates are merely proof that Americans are less so focusing on the core ideals of candidates, and more so concerned with whether or not the candidate is relatable to themselves, or if he seems like an interesting character to put into office. President Obama’s primary focus when he was running to become the democratic representative was the youth of America, children 18 through 25 who usually don’t think to look into who may run our country. Obama ventured to multiple college campuses in order to appeal to the masses by doing things like playing basketball with them, or just socializing. Yes, it’s a very intelligent thing for Obama to do. But it’s sad coming to the realization that this is what how our nation has disintegrated.

Television is a plague to the ideals of Americans and their views on issues, focusing on petty things like image and reliability rather than political standpoints and how candidates decide to attack issues. Our nation has become weak with our decision making, focusing on materialism, and if we keep up this dastardly trend our nation can be lead to turmoil.

Just decided to copy paste my homework here cuz it seemed like a cool topic.

Oh and here's the question/sources if you really care to look into it: http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/apc/public/repository/ap05_englang_synthesi_46827.pdf

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
I kinda skimmed, but I agree with the main point behind it lol.

Not really the type to discuss these things though xD.

Top Bottom