• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Actually, it totally is.

It's also what the EU should/would be doing if it weren't such a pathetic failure.

:059:
I am with Gheb.

You want militant, nuclear superpowers to grow in lateral sense. America was oil-based and is quickly becoming less oil-based over time. Places in the EU have become even less oil-based. This alters what is considered "normal" and "profitable" for these countries, while others are still farther behind on the timeline.

Fixing Russia's economy allows them to proceed on their timeline. Allowing them to economically starve forces them to act rashly and quickly; it is in our best interests for this not to occur.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Initial concept art:

potential sprite form:

First row for default
Second row for potential colorization to indicate weapon usage

what are thoughts

Maven89

Smash Master
But what about after that? Why would we want an economically strong Russia when they're directly opposed to American dominance? I don't see why we should be aiding them at all unless there's a direct benefit to America, and I don't see what Russia offers us that we can't get elsewhere. An economically weak Russia isn't going to attack NATO, we're continually creeping towards their borders, it's looking like Russian dominance is becoming impossible, that seems to be a good thing to me.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
But what about after that? Why would we want an economically strong Russia when they're directly opposed to American dominance? I don't see why we should be aiding them at all unless there's a direct benefit to America, and I don't see what Russia offers us that we can't get elsewhere. An economically weak Russia isn't going to attack NATO, we're continually creeping towards their borders, it's looking like Russian dominance is becoming impossible, that seems to be a good thing to me.
But what about after that? Why would we want an economically strong Germany when they're directly opposed to American dominance? I don't see why we should be aiding them at all unless there's a direct benefit to America, and I don't see what Germany offers us that we can't get elsewhere. An economically weak Germany isn't going to attack NATO, we're continually creeping towards their borders, it's looking like Germany dominance is becoming impossible, that seems to be a good thing to me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Versailles

Today you get to learn one of the most important lessons from history -- crippling an opponent, but not genocidally eliminating them, does not end well.

You want happy, healthy, but limited enemies. This gives them time to become friends without needing to be aggressive.

Maven89

Smash Master
Ok those are all great points

Hope I didn't come out as a warmonger, I'd like to all live in peace, I'm just worried about being naive when it comes to foreign countries we have a real adverse relation with

Last edited:

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
what are thoughts
I think you may profit from a standardized skin tone across color palettes. The two blues in the default palette look too close for my eyes. The CONCEPT is fine. The sprite itself looks okay. I would probably try a couple other drafts just to see if you like something better.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
For those of you guys who play Super Mario Maker:

I present to you guys, a Collab between a close friend of mine and myself! He did the main world while I did the sub world. I came up with the idea of the transitioning, as I really like it and we tried to make it fit as best as possible. So with that, I hope you all enjoy!

BEHOLD

---

Level Title: We are going to Boo's House!

ID: 571F-0000-01F7-A9E1
Bookmark: We are going to Boo's House!

Description of Gameplay Elements:

We'll start in the ground main level, where we will find a few red coins, to fight Baby Bowser. Eventually, we get to a house with boo's clinging to it. IT'S BOO'S HOUSE. We let ourselves in. Why you ask? Because we are party poopers. Once we have a good time we leave being satisfied of contributing to the world.

Maven89

Smash Master
He really lost a lot of ground with his Trump attacks. I'm interested in this meeting in Washington a bunch of conservatives are doing in two days to plot the path of an independent bid, the big rumor going on is that they're trying to get Condoleeza Rice to run, which would make it very interesting.

@Gheb Overswarm Overswarm how would you guys rate Obama's foreign policy? I was all in favor of sitting out on Syria, but when Russia got involved and started making gains, especially with them starting to pull out and therefore not inherit a quagmire, I can't help but think "America should be the one doing that", and I felt a hit to my national pride that Russia was dealing with problems while we sat out.

On the other hand, I'd have been in favor of this happening before it did, I'm all in favor of the rest of the world helping out more and not just relying on America to attempt to solve the problems (we don't have a great track record), but I can't help but feel we took a loss to our national standing. It's surprising to me, and i've love to hear both a foreign and overswarms opinion on it.

Last edited:

Overswarm

is laughing at you
don't know enough to comment thoroughly, 8 years of foreign policy is pretty large

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
So basically Obama's foreign policies were terrible when Hillary was state secretary and awesome when Kerry was state secretary. Hillary really ****ed up a lot of **** during the so-called "arabian spring", especially in Lybia. It always confuses me when people cite her experience as state secretary as a reason on why she's a good presidential candidate 'cuz all she actually did was making things worse. From the point of view of a european who places most emphasis on foreign policies I actually find her to be the scariest presidential candidate right now though Cruz is probably the worst overall.

Kerry did a number of things I hold in his favor, especially the non-intervention in Syria and the nuclear deal with Iran. A lot of that seems to be the result of good diplomacy between him and Lawrow [whom I also have a lot of respect for, much more than Putin], which in my opinion is crucial for the long-term stability of geopolitics. Not intervening in Syria and leaving things to the russians was the right decision imo. There was absolutely nothing to gain for the US and let's not forget the disastrous history of US interventions in the middle east - staying active on a diplomatic level and righfully being able to claim responsibility for a ceasfire is pretty much the best Obama could've gotten out of this whole mess.

There's honestly nothing wrong with accepting that Syria is within Russia's sphere of influence and not the USA's. Russia doesn't pose a threat to the so-called "west", at least not under Putin.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
I'm interested in this meeting in Washington a bunch of conservatives are doing in two days to plot the path of an independent bid, the big rumor going on is that they're trying to get Condoleeza Rice to run, which would make it very interesting.
They'd fit well in smashboards Mafia... It's the equivalent of waiting until LYLO to realize your got an SK in the game and NOW they wanna talk about how to deal with it.

It's too late for the republican GOP trump has garnered too much momentum.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
It's too late for the republican GOP trump has garnered too much momentum.
Rubio and Cruz have a lot of common ground. It's gonna be hard now that Trump has Florida, but Cruz can still win if more Rubio followers go Cruz rather than Trump.

Cheerilee

Smash Ace
KevinM KevinM

When you're anti-immigration, anti-welfare, allocate austerity funds (e.g. the welfare funds) to increasing military budget (e.g. "defense"), a focus on tax exemption for the top 5% of wealthiest Americans and justify it using trickle-down economics, an anti-gay marriage stance when society is becoming increasingly more liberal on social issues, pro-Christianity when most college-aged believers are non-religious or turning away from organized religion. Then yes, I would say it had been too late for the GOP a long time ago to win a presidential election simply based around everything the GOP represents in modern politics.

Can anyone readily match that generalized checklist for Democrats in terms of being that exclusive?

Last edited:

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
KevinM KevinM

When you're anti-immigration, anti-welfare, allocate austerity funds (e.g. the welfare funds) to increasing military budget (e.g. "defense"), a focus on tax exemption for the top 5% of wealthiest Americans and justify it using trickle-down economics, an anti-gay marriage stance when society is becoming increasingly more liberal on social issues, pro-Christianity when most college-aged believers are non-religious or turning away from organized religion. Then yes, I would say it had been too late for the GOP a long time ago to win a presidential election simply based around everything the GOP represents in modern politics.

Can anyone readily match that generalized checklist for Democrats in terms of being that exclusive?
Oh sure if you put it like that he sounds terrible

Cheerilee

Smash Ace
KevinM KevinM He fits the bill for any Republican nominee. The Republican doctrine is built around the modern times actually being GOOD to your average Jack or Jill. Where people appreciated big business and Herbert Hoover economics e.g. trickle down effect. Their schematic is completely wrong for the modern American. The Republican GOP has refused to adapt their political stance towards the current generation and even the moderates look disgusting as they try to walk a middle ground between currying favor from the Bible Belt States and the mainstream American fringe voters. Almost every Republican candidate running has to be doing so for reasons other than to become president. There's no way any GOP candidate has played the game for THIS long and honestly believe they are a favorite party in today's society for an election centered around the popular vote as a basis for representative election.

Last edited:

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
what are thoughts
Your sprites are good looking, but I don't think your character design translates well to a small scale. I would suggest that you pick one feature to emphasise to make the character stand out. You also need to think about how your character looks in silhouette. Compare:

-2c

Cheerilee

Smash Ace
Also to add, Trump is winning because he's playing the loser's war. He also says some outlandish things, but the Republicans have always been an outlandish party. Perhaps the thing that irritated people like me the most was that the Republican party continually pretended to not be cognizant of how flawed they were to the modern American demographic. Trump thrives in it and flings it in our faces, I love it. America loves it. We finally got the conformation we needed. Politics is intrinsically absurd, ineffectual, and has been pro-industry over pro-people when industry and people have been at conflicting odds. This is excluding departments like the Federal Department of Labor and Equal Employment and more a statement against Congress, Senate, and how laws end up getting enacted.

Last edited:

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Your sprites are good looking, but I don't think your character design translates well to a small scale. I would suggest that you pick one feature to emphasise to make the character stand out. You also need to think about how your character looks in silhouette. Compare:

-2c
He could definitely stand out better via silhouette, the size thing isn't an issue though. Your shovel knight is closer to direct size, the images above was a blown up version and a pixel perfect version.

^that's closer to what shovel knight looks like in pixel perfect mode.

The main thing that's gonna be going for this guy is gonna be his color so I'm not too concerned about the silhouette. Goin' the megaman route (megaman is not particularly iconic, he just became that way over time).

Overswarm

is laughing at you
id take trump over hillary and thats 100% serious
I'm kind of 50/50, but mostly because I know the things Hillary will do but don't know what she won't do and do not know what she will do that she normally doesn't want to do but feels obligated to do so

I also have no idea if she'll become President and just be like "max level *******" and do a bunch of **** she could never do before because she was beholden to someone, since at that point there's no reason she'd ever need to be

but I'd rather have a strong democratic house and senate, so she better do a good job

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I think Cruz is by far the worst candidate. Trump probably isn't worse than Hillary either but that doesn't really mean a whole lot. I wouldn't vote either of them.

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
it becomes a matter of picking between the poison thatll pain you less. hillary literally lost every bit of credibility to me when she had that interview in one of the "deep south" states and feigned a southern accent. like what the literal ****. and ***** ass nOwThIs ****in eats her up

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
I've found cruz's "vote for me if you hate trump" approach funny because in any election without trump, he'd be the trump equivalent as a widely despised outsider.

I think I know one person that would vote for cruz over trump, and that guy thinks that trump is just pretending to be a republican candidate.

Last edited:

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
It goes beyond that, rubio's joining in as well. I'd be amazed if any GOP candidate wins the real election. I think the actual race is between Sanders and Clinton.

:186:

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
It goes beyond that, rubio's joining in as well. I'd be amazed if any GOP candidate wins the real election. I think the actual race is between Sanders and Clinton.

:186:
Entirely disagreed. Against Clinton he has a damn good shot at the white house.

Anti-establishment politics is at an all time high and a lot of this has to do with the recession and people blaming wall street's sweetheart relationship with Washington. Bernie's rise is an expression of this as is Trump's, a lot of people think his rhetoric is entirely bigotry but that's incorrect, a lot of his rhetoric is anti-Washington establishment both because the party and their supporters stood against him and because he recognizes an opportunity.

As such toning down the racism to rail against establishment politics will earn him a lot of votes in the general and certainly convince a lot Bernie supporters to at least stay home.

As much as I find Cruz more detestable, he has no path to electoral victory and even if he managed it he has no way to push his policies through. Trump's been far more clever at building a base that, with an electoral mandate with allow him to actually push his politics through.

Maven89

Smash Master
I consider it a little different. Trump is harnessing a historically dark side of American populism, and that's unforgivable. If Trump thinks he can control it, that he can later go "the Muslim ban and Mexico paying for the wall and trade war with China are just a negotiating tool" then I think he's naive. He didn't start this surge, it started waking up for Palin in the McCain campaign and came to life in the Tea Party. These people really want exactly what Trump is saying, and will not change their minds or become less angry because Trump was faking. It will probably just make them angrier, when Trump has already stirred them up and gave validation to their beliefs. There's no reason to think it will just go away if it gets Trump elected. I really believe his campaign is cancer for the Republic and I would vote for Ted Cruz or Hillary Clinton in jail over him.

#HBC | Nabe

Beneath it all, he had H-cups all along
Can't breathe, but the view is equal to the taste
I know we're busy talking about politics and foreign affairs and other real things but Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma had a trailer released yesterday and I'm so hype right now and someone else needs to hype with me (especially #HBC | Nabe #HBC | Nabe ).

link to the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8z9yogpeUA
Not watching it but I like that you exclusively tagged me, feels good.

I bought the watch edition last year, and now I'm ignoring all the interim news while waiting for other treasures like Dark Souls III.

overswarm you are just so good at life it's uncanny
i wish i had a question for you to calmly manhandle

how do i leverage my skill set (computer programming including low-level min/maxing with assembly, video and audio editing, visual art including digital painting and pixel art, artisanal pickling and vinegar-brewing, dramatic fanfiction reading, bagels) to get a job in the adult entertainment industry

giraffelasergun

Smash Lord
Not watching it but I like that you exclusively tagged me, feels good.

I bought the watch edition last year, and now I'm ignoring all the interim news while waiting for other treasures like Dark Souls III
Fair enough, be expecting me to tag you in a post a week after the game comes out.

and I'm glad. One of my daily goals is to make sure I make someone feel good.

Last edited:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Bernie has exactly a 0% chance to make it. I think what he does is very important and hope his ideas will continue to grow in popularity and challenge the current establishment but the latter happens to be exactly what will keep him from making it. Clinton is willing to just bend down forwards when her masters in the Wall Street, the Media, the Military industry et al command her to do so. Everybody knows Sanders wouldn't do that so the mainstream media will just pretend that he just doesn't exist at all.

Also he's a jew. I think in 2016 it's more likely that the USA switch over to become a christian theocracy than elect a jew as their president.

Top Bottom