• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Is that a youtube video? If so, can you link it?
It's a movie from 1939, and I couldn't find the full movie for free except on this slightly sketchy website:
http://www.veoh.com/watch/v171308286yrDJEAc

Norton's incredibly bad internet scanner said it was OK, so the site is obviously virus-free. It's two hours and ten minutes, is slow-moving at some points, and has a few black-and-white movie cliches, but I thought it's a great movie overall.

EDIT: If you don't want to watch the full movie, just read the plot online and watch this section:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX8aFpnWxPA

EDIT 2: And this portion after it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6UbYHCkoZs

Last edited:

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Overswarm Overswarm

How to leave an abusive household/get from underneath said abusers? Need your sage wisdom.

Hard mode: No car. Very poor location that would require car to get to work. Unemployed for 2 months. Job hunt not going well.

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
lol in Political Mafia, Trump would be the traitor (since he has stated in the past that he was democrat, but now he's running for Republican presidency).

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Overswarm Overswarm

How to leave an abusive household/get from underneath said abusers? Need your sage wisdom.

Hard mode: No car. Very poor location that would require car to get to work. Unemployed for 2 months. Job hunt not going well.
Need more information.

Age? Income? Type of abuse(verbal, physical, etc.)

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
I hear mopeds can be a relatively cheap alternative, depending on the type of road you would commute on (good on asphault and cement, manageable on dirt, manageable to horrible on gravel depending on your tire width,) the distance away work would be, and speed limits on your route to work. If you're buying a moped used, though, make sure you test it out and check the moped's range. I'm not sure about what the benefits of electric vs gas are, so you might want to look into that some more if you consider the moped as a viable option.

I'm in high school and have never been employed outside of a family business, so I can't help that much with jobhunting.

Also, pardon the pity party I'm throwing for myself, but my grandmother just got hospitalized for intense chest pain. Good news is she didn't have a heart attack, bad news is doctors don't know what the problem is.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
If you have any sort of incoming income and you desire a car, do not get a moped. It'll just set you back. Save money.

#HBC | ѕoup

Need more information.

Age? Income? Type of abuse(verbal, physical, etc.)
21, no income right now besides tax money coming into the mail (roughly 200). Verbal, emotional and finacial.

Last edited:

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
I just up and left, stayed with a friend at the dorm of the school I was at, started working at Panera while I looked for tech jobs and after a year or two of living with friends just got my own place with my girlfriend

Will the way man

Overswarm

is laughing at you
21, no income right now besides tax money coming into the mail (roughly 200). Verbal, emotional and finacial.
Stay.

There is nothing that will set you back more than having no money and a list of mandatory expenditures.

Let me guess -- you don't pay for rent, food, clothing? If you're forced to pay for rent, food, clothing, etc., then your parents aren't providing you anything you can't already provide for yourself. Find friends and a place to live ASAP.

But chances are you aren't paying anything or, if you are, are not paying much. You are a homeless guy who is being given a place to live.

Having verbally abusive parents/friends sucks and can be a huge mental drain. Going to work 9-5 at a ****ty job you hate is also a huge mental drain, but people do it everywhere because they know it is better than the alternative: poverty.

Treat life like an RPG.

If you have trouble in an RPG, what do you do? Do you "try harder"? Do you just gamble and roll the dice? Hell no. You grind.

What happens if you grind before you have trouble? Go ahead, pick up any RPG ever and sit there and level up for a few hours. You're suddenly level 15 when they expect you to be level 5. It was boring doing the grind, it sucked, but now you're powerful and are breezing through the "challenges". You're at that stage.

That is life. Grinding and delaying gratification to increase the odds of a good outcome. When I graduated from college in 2009, I had a whopping 2 job prospects -- I wanted to be a teacher. English and education. 2009 was not the best year for this. I lived at home for a year. Many days were spent just wasting time playing video games, reading books, etc. It was fun, but not productive. I waited until I could find a "good job" because I knew I had the skills, there just weren't the openings. I found a decent job and I drove an hour to work every day, there and back, and saved as much money as I could. I then found roomates -- two of them, and was able to get an apartment we shared that cost only $300/month + utilities for me due to the rent sharing arrangement. I scrimped and saved, then I got a house and had the roomates move in to help pay the mortgage and save even more money. I have twins on the way in September and I STILL have two roomates in my house!

I gave myself every advantage possible and now I've got tens of thousands saved up, not from making a ton of money but from making sacrifices. I have a huge safety net because I neglected my "wants" in favor of putting myself in a good position.

In your position you have no car and no money. Leaving is the stupidest thing you could ever do unless you can sit down and do the math and find out that "hey, I'd save money".

That's what I did when I got my apartment. I did the math. "Hey, I'm paying $X a month in gas on average over the past Y months, but an apartment with two roomates would cost less than X".

Same with a house.

It's math. Advantages. Sacrifices. It's a game. It's binary. Winning, losing. Set a goal, reach a goal, set another. Emotional state has a price, it can be worth it or not worth it.

Would you live with your parents for 5 more years if someone gave you one million dollars? Yeah, of course you would. I'd live with a guy who tried to sucker punch me in the gut every day for a million dollars. Now you know there's a price, you're just haggling on how much it is worth staying with your parents.

The touchy-feely stuff of "I want privacy", "I want to get away from mean people", "I want to be my own man", etc., are all distractions. You can't hold them, touch them, because they aren't real. They are perception.

You can change your perception if you need to, but more importantly you can change your position and make your perception irrelevant.

I mean, you're 21. You might think that's old, but your brain isn't done forming itself until you are 25. You literally lack the networking in your noggin' that helps you with long-term planning.

So I'll do it for you.

Here's what you do:

1. Do the math. Do you save money by leaving, or does it cost you money?

If you can leave and save money, go for it. Whatevs. Chances are you don't.

2. Compare your income to expenditures. Are you able to save roughly 50% of your income? If not, you aren't making enough or are spending too much.

Find new revenue streams or decrease spending. And don't say you can't decrease spending. I eat one meal a day to save $5-$10 a day, resulting in savings of $1300 a year. I make that sacrifice because $1300 a year ($5 a day, 5 days a week at work) is a whopping $39,000 after 30 years of working. It's a new car on retirement. That **** adds up.

3. Evaluate your ability to find a job.

Have you contacted recruiting companies? They get paid to place you somewhere. Get a job, any job, and move foward. Don't take burger-flippin' jobs unless you absolutely have to -- you want jobs that expand your skillset. Just know that it can sometimes be easier to get two minimum wage jobs than one job that pays twice as much. Two jobs for a short time period = car. Car = freedom.

4. Evaluate your skillset

You are 21 and unemployed, so I'm guessing your skillset is fairly limited. You need to increase your skillset somehow. If you can't find a job and don't have a car, it may be that you need to volunteer. Ask parents for help if possible. Even if they are verbally abusive, whatever. You could hate your parents and they can still be useful.

5. Set a goal

You need a car, right? I'm assuming public transportation is out of the question. Figure out exactly how much you expect to need. You'll get a used car, it'll have $X in repairs per year, $Y in gas per month, eventually need larger expenditures (tires replaced), etc. You'll have to make sure you have all that income available.

You might not even need a car, I dunno. Assuming you can't bike places or use public transportation.

You want to know how to leave your parents with no income? You can't. Not safely. You gotta find a job and be freakin' good at it.

There are tons of **** jobs out there you can get if need be. Look in classifieds of newspapers, they often have jobs for people who aren't super qualified for others -- this is great for people just looking to enter the workforce. Find recruiters, find side-jobs. Find work! Get money.

money is freedom, mobility

If all your problems can be solved by having more money, then trade your time for money. I mean if you are unemployed and sitting at home then chances are you aren't able to use all your time that productively. Get two jobs and make your life suck for a year. Average of $14/hour is $28,000. That's a car. One year = one car.

"But how will I get to a job if I don't have a car?! This is chicken and egg stuff!"

****in... walk. Bicycle. Carpool. Bus. Parents.

Hell, do Amazon mechanical turk. You'll do a bunch of tedious **** and make an average of $4/hour for the first month or two until you get flowing and then maybe you can start doing audio transcription for closer to $10/hour all from home.

Point is, find something and don't ask yourself if it is what you "want" to do or if it is even remotely interesting. Find money. Find income. When you have money, you can get a car. When you get a car, you can get jobs that are farther away after you have a decent safety net.

That "safety net" thing is the most important, and it is why you can't just get a car on a loan and then get an apartment expecting your income to cover it.

You get your apartment and a car and a job all at the same time and you're sittin' pretty, suddenly you get sick. Miss work. Get fired. Now what?

Hit a pothole, require $1200 in repairs on a $1500 ****ty car you bought. What now?

Some jackass breaks into your car and steals your phone you left inside. You have a broken window and phone. Can you afford this?

Safety net! Imagine how safe you would be if you had about a year of expenditures saved up.

You pay $450 a month in rent/utilities and have maybe another $150 a month on average in expenditures (food, gas, etc.), total of $600 a month in mandatory expenditures. Add another $100 on top and make it $700, because there's always oddball expenses.

$700 * 12 = $8400

If the above was your expenditures, you'd need around $8400 to have a full year of safety. This means that if you hit a pothole and need $1200 in repairs, you have options. You can repair, get a new car, whatever, and you aren't set back anything but time. No loss of mobility. You just save a bit more aggressively until you are back to that $8400.

Oh no, lose your job(s)?

Get a new one, you've got a year.

Oh ****, you found a job but it pays half of what you got before, what do you do?

Well you've got $8400 in the bank and are earning half of what you did before, so you can now stretch your new income and your savings out for two years. That's two years to find additional income or decrease spending.

Compare this to "I hit a pothole and need $1200 in repairs and have $200 in my bank account". Congratulations! You can't fix your car, lose your job, lose your apartment, and are back in with your parents. That's after scrimping and saving to get a car for a whole year, undone by a hole in the ground because you did too much too fast.

Find money. Save money, get a safety net. Then move forward.

You'll live -- people have always had it worse somewhere. As long as you aren't actually in physical danger, you'll be fine.

#HBC | ѕoup

You really put it all in perspective for me, and while my parents are ****ty I am at least being given a home to save up, one crucial element I had not been doing. I felt like I had to make a move but I've dealt with them for 12 years so I suppose another won't hurt.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
You really put it all in perspective for me, and while my parents are ****ty I am at least being given a home to save up, one crucial element I had not been doing. I felt like I had to make a move but I've dealt with them for 12 years so I suppose another won't hurt.
Another year? Try as long as possible.

There are advantages to having your own place (ladies, acquiring long-term stuff like furniture, social opportunities, emotional well-being, etc.), but money ain't one of 'em.

Let's imagine you found an apartment for $300/month. Super cheap. Let's say you pay, oh, $1,000 in utilities for an entire year. Super cheap again.

That's $3600 a year for rent + $1000 for utilities. Adding in another $400 for other apartment stuff you'd need (cleaning supplies, toilet paper, laundry, etc.) and you're saving about $5k a year as long as you don't spend it like a scrub.

$5k a year extra is huge. That is a used car in one year. It is a downpayment on a house in two or three.

Stay in your house for as long as possible. Save up money so that when you leave, you're leaving on good terms and have a safety net.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
You midwesterners and your cheap rent...

*cries into checkbook*
Hey, I pay about $900/month.

My first apartment was about $900/month too, we just split it three ways.

It's not THAT cheap given our income is so much lower.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I feel you. I'm in the same position and would rather move out on my own but still struggling.

Deciding whether to find a second job or partner with my boss to do life coaching.

Xatres

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
Xatres17
Hey, I pay about $900/month.

My first apartment was about $900/month too, we just split it three ways.

It's not THAT cheap given our income is so much lower.
A two bedroom apartment in my town costs anywhere from $1000, which is pretty rare, to $2000. So no one around here gets $300 per month rent unless they the pack in like sardines or move into someone's basement.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
A two bedroom apartment in my town costs anywhere from $1000, which is pretty rare, to $2000. So no one around here gets $300 per month rent unless they the pack in like sardines or move into someone's basement.
Sardines it is!

We did 4 in a 3 bedroom and 5 in a 3 bedroom. Can be cramped, but fun and cheap.

Xatres

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
Xatres17
Sardines it is!

We did 4 in a 3 bedroom and 5 in a 3 bedroom. Can be cramped, but fun and cheap.
Heh, I actually do okay on rent, since I just rent a room in a friends house. Not $300 cheap, but still better than what I'd be paying otherwise.

My fiance and I will be moving into a reasonably priced apartment once we get married another 20 miles farther from DC/Baltimore, which makes a significant difference.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Stay.

There is nothing that will set you back more than having no money and a list of mandatory expenditures.

Let me guess -- you don't pay for rent, food, clothing? If you're forced to pay for rent, food, clothing, etc., then your parents aren't providing you anything you can't already provide for yourself. Find friends and a place to live ASAP.

But chances are you aren't paying anything or, if you are, are not paying much. You are a homeless guy who is being given a place to live.

Having verbally abusive parents/friends sucks and can be a huge mental drain. Going to work 9-5 at a ****ty job you hate is also a huge mental drain, but people do it everywhere because they know it is better than the alternative: poverty.

Treat life like an RPG.

If you have trouble in an RPG, what do you do? Do you "try harder"? Do you just gamble and roll the dice? Hell no. You grind.

What happens if you grind before you have trouble? Go ahead, pick up any RPG ever and sit there and level up for a few hours. You're suddenly level 15 when they expect you to be level 5. It was boring doing the grind, it sucked, but now you're powerful and are breezing through the "challenges". You're at that stage.

That is life. Grinding and delaying gratification to increase the odds of a good outcome. When I graduated from college in 2009, I had a whopping 2 job prospects -- I wanted to be a teacher. English and education. 2009 was not the best year for this. I lived at home for a year. Many days were spent just wasting time playing video games, reading books, etc. It was fun, but not productive. I waited until I could find a "good job" because I knew I had the skills, there just weren't the openings. I found a decent job and I drove an hour to work every day, there and back, and saved as much money as I could. I then found roomates -- two of them, and was able to get an apartment we shared that cost only $300/month + utilities for me due to the rent sharing arrangement. I scrimped and saved, then I got a house and had the roomates move in to help pay the mortgage and save even more money. I have twins on the way in September and I STILL have two roomates in my house!

I gave myself every advantage possible and now I've got tens of thousands saved up, not from making a ton of money but from making sacrifices. I have a huge safety net because I neglected my "wants" in favor of putting myself in a good position.

In your position you have no car and no money. Leaving is the stupidest thing you could ever do unless you can sit down and do the math and find out that "hey, I'd save money".

That's what I did when I got my apartment. I did the math. "Hey, I'm paying $X a month in gas on average over the past Y months, but an apartment with two roomates would cost less than X".

Same with a house.

It's math. Advantages. Sacrifices. It's a game. It's binary. Winning, losing. Set a goal, reach a goal, set another. Emotional state has a price, it can be worth it or not worth it.

Would you live with your parents for 5 more years if someone gave you one million dollars? Yeah, of course you would. I'd live with a guy who tried to sucker punch me in the gut every day for a million dollars. Now you know there's a price, you're just haggling on how much it is worth staying with your parents.

The touchy-feely stuff of "I want privacy", "I want to get away from mean people", "I want to be my own man", etc., are all distractions. You can't hold them, touch them, because they aren't real. They are perception.

You can change your perception if you need to, but more importantly you can change your position and make your perception irrelevant.

I mean, you're 21. You might think that's old, but your brain isn't done forming itself until you are 25. You literally lack the networking in your noggin' that helps you with long-term planning.

So I'll do it for you.

Here's what you do:

1. Do the math. Do you save money by leaving, or does it cost you money?

If you can leave and save money, go for it. Whatevs. Chances are you don't.

2. Compare your income to expenditures. Are you able to save roughly 50% of your income? If not, you aren't making enough or are spending too much.

Find new revenue streams or decrease spending. And don't say you can't decrease spending. I eat one meal a day to save $5-$10 a day, resulting in savings of $1300 a year. I make that sacrifice because $1300 a year ($5 a day, 5 days a week at work) is a whopping $39,000 after 30 years of working. It's a new car on retirement. That **** adds up.

3. Evaluate your ability to find a job.

Have you contacted recruiting companies? They get paid to place you somewhere. Get a job, any job, and move foward. Don't take burger-flippin' jobs unless you absolutely have to -- you want jobs that expand your skillset. Just know that it can sometimes be easier to get two minimum wage jobs than one job that pays twice as much. Two jobs for a short time period = car. Car = freedom.

4. Evaluate your skillset

You are 21 and unemployed, so I'm guessing your skillset is fairly limited. You need to increase your skillset somehow. If you can't find a job and don't have a car, it may be that you need to volunteer. Ask parents for help if possible. Even if they are verbally abusive, whatever. You could hate your parents and they can still be useful.

5. Set a goal

You need a car, right? I'm assuming public transportation is out of the question. Figure out exactly how much you expect to need. You'll get a used car, it'll have $X in repairs per year, $Y in gas per month, eventually need larger expenditures (tires replaced), etc. You'll have to make sure you have all that income available.

You might not even need a car, I dunno. Assuming you can't bike places or use public transportation.

You want to know how to leave your parents with no income? You can't. Not safely. You gotta find a job and be freakin' good at it.

There are tons of **** jobs out there you can get if need be. Look in classifieds of newspapers, they often have jobs for people who aren't super qualified for others -- this is great for people just looking to enter the workforce. Find recruiters, find side-jobs. Find work! Get money.

money is freedom, mobility

If all your problems can be solved by having more money, then trade your time for money. I mean if you are unemployed and sitting at home then chances are you aren't able to use all your time that productively. Get two jobs and make your life suck for a year. Average of $14/hour is $28,000. That's a car. One year = one car.

"But how will I get to a job if I don't have a car?! This is chicken and egg stuff!"

****in... walk. Bicycle. Carpool. Bus. Parents.

Hell, do Amazon mechanical turk. You'll do a bunch of tedious **** and make an average of $4/hour for the first month or two until you get flowing and then maybe you can start doing audio transcription for closer to $10/hour all from home.

Point is, find something and don't ask yourself if it is what you "want" to do or if it is even remotely interesting. Find money. Find income. When you have money, you can get a car. When you get a car, you can get jobs that are farther away after you have a decent safety net.

That "safety net" thing is the most important, and it is why you can't just get a car on a loan and then get an apartment expecting your income to cover it.

You get your apartment and a car and a job all at the same time and you're sittin' pretty, suddenly you get sick. Miss work. Get fired. Now what?

Hit a pothole, require $1200 in repairs on a $1500 ****ty car you bought. What now?

Some ******* breaks into your car and steals your phone you left inside. You have a broken window and phone. Can you afford this?

Safety net! Imagine how safe you would be if you had about a year of expenditures saved up.

You pay $450 a month in rent/utilities and have maybe another $150 a month on average in expenditures (food, gas, etc.), total of $600 a month in mandatory expenditures. Add another $100 on top and make it $700, because there's always oddball expenses.

$700 * 12 = $8400

If the above was your expenditures, you'd need around $8400 to have a full year of safety. This means that if you hit a pothole and need $1200 in repairs, you have options. You can repair, get a new car, whatever, and you aren't set back anything but time. No loss of mobility. You just save a bit more aggressively until you are back to that $8400.

Oh no, lose your job(s)?

Get a new one, you've got a year.

Oh ****, you found a job but it pays half of what you got before, what do you do?

Well you've got $8400 in the bank and are earning half of what you did before, so you can now stretch your new income and your savings out for two years. That's two years to find additional income or decrease spending.

Compare this to "I hit a pothole and need $1200 in repairs and have $200 in my bank account". Congratulations! You can't fix your car, lose your job, lose your apartment, and are back in with your parents. That's after scrimping and saving to get a car for a whole year, undone by a hole in the ground because you did too much too fast.

Find money. Save money, get a safety net. Then move forward.

You'll live -- people have always had it worse somewhere. As long as you aren't actually in physical danger, you'll be fine.
Did I ever tell you, you are amazing before now.

I hope I did before.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Also I love that OS is the wall of text about the safety of staying

And I wrote two sentences about how I just up and left and it worked for me

OS will u 4evr by the yin to my yang :^]?

#HBC | ѕoup

Just got an eviction notice from my parents. What now? Family not seeming like a option. No friends around.

Overswarm Overswarm

Last edited:

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Just got an eviction notice from my parents. What now? Family not seeming like a option. No friends around.

Overswarm Overswarm
Link above is good start. What state / area do you live in?

Also why an eviction notice? If it's just your parents saying "yer 18 geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet out" then it possible to extend your stay with them through logic and reason. If you did something crazy, not so much. If they can't afford to have you in the household then paying them rent might be a good alternative if possible.

The first thing you're gonna need to do is find employment of some sort though -- either way. You've got a grind ahead of you. If you aren't around friends and your area provides nothing, finding friends would be a good idea even if that means moving

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
yo os what are some solid methods to getting non-commital pooty tang for the low? im a pianist, live with my dad, im 21, and i have a hard time trusting free online sources

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
either one and done or simply non-girlfriend. women are stupid and i dont respect em.

also update on the rental: THEY DIDNT NOTICE ****! SUCK MY **** ENTERPRISE!
Red light district and pray you don't get a STD?

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Not sure what kind of advice you're asking for tbqh. You're 21 and live in ****ing Miami, getting a non-commital **** sounds like the easiest thing in the world.

:059:

Top Bottom