• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

Cheerilee

Smash Ace
Deadpool coming out in February and Suicide Squad out in August.

Not as hyped for Batman v. Superman coming out in March, however I am excited for it being a precursor for the Justice League.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Batman vs Superman slowly and paintstakingly convinced me it would be a real movie. But then they added Wonder Woman. And now apparently Aquaman is in it. And Doomsday. And... so on.

It has clearly eroded from "batman vs superman" and into "let's throw a bunch of **** in here to setup our solo franchises we're not confident will do well without pre-hype"

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
I will enjoy Suicide Squad, but I'm not all that impressed by what we're seeing. Which is too bad, because they made a truly inspired choice for writer/director in David Ayer, and the idea of Batman briefly appearing as an antagonist is kind of brilliant. But so many things about it are... bleh.

At least Amanda Waller is actually middle aged. Getting so annoyed with all the attractive 25 year olds they keep casting her as for no good reason ugh it doesn't make sennnnnnsssssse

Cheerilee

Smash Ace
I will enjoy Suicide Squad, but I'm not all that impressed by what we're seeing. Which is too bad, because they made a truly inspired choice for writer/director in David Ayer, and the idea of Batman briefly appearing as an antagonist is kind of brilliant. But so many things about it are... bleh. At least Amanda Waller is actually middle aged. Getting so annoyed with all the attractive 25 year olds they keep casting her as for no good reason ugh it doesn't make sennnnnnsssssse
People don't realize how hard it's going to be to pull off the movie like it's presented in the trailer. The trailer frequently made use of cuts, transitions, and action scenes in order to make the movie seem light hearted. However, imagine the trailer without Bohemian Rhapsody being played in the background. Or the trailer scenes as actual 2-3 minute sequences being played out. The promotional material is so well done that I think people aren't realizing that it's going to be very hard to pull off the body of the film like it's presented in the trailer.

Last edited:

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
So you're saying we may be getting more David Ayer than Lowest Common Denominator than the marketing would have us believe? Because, a truly a David Ayer Suicide Squad film is pretty much the only Suicide Squad film to make. I merely worry about us, well, not getting it.

Unrelated but Ayer would be my pick to make a Deathstroke film as well. Him or (incoming controversial suggestion prepare to fight me) Sylvester Stallone

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
(for the unaware, Ayer is the writer of Training Day in addition to the writer and director of End of Watch, one of the most nuanced and cop films I've ever seen. His ability to marry real grit with excitement, when it's on point, is very difficult to match)

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I don't want the movie to be light hearted. I'm open to whatever they make it out to be. Give me a twist. I am fine with it being more than what the trailer really is. That reminds me:

Cheerilee

Smash Ace
Evil Eye Evil Eye

I don't know David Ayer. However, when I finish my first block of material this week I'll definitely try to see if I can watch Training Day. It's just that the entire concept of Suicide Squad has everyone intrigued with the central idea of the movie centering around incarcerated villains being the main characters of a film running counter to a long running trend of lawful goods e.g. Avengers. The series that became so vanilla that it can't break from its own conventions without the audience noticing it as an awkward development in the plot e.g. Age of Ultron.

I have more faith in the execution of Deadpool considering the fact that they already ruined the character once and this movie is almost repentance for their execution of the character in X-Men Origins. Unlike Suicide Squad that has a meatier cast and a weightier backstory the question is whether it will get stuck while trying to take off. When you have a larger cast you risk being too absorbed in the attention grabber e.g. villains coming across as too villain-y instead of more nihilistic, amoral, and wanton with decadence.

I think Deadpool will be a senseless murder romp of action cut scenes with little remorse and fourth action wall breaking therefore giving the directors more liberties because the material begs itself to be liberal and unbound by conventional standards. I'm happy that Deadpool is going to debut the start of the anti-hero franchise which embodies the reason why the series itself resonates so strongly mocking generic comic book conventions. I really am excited about these anti-hero films and want to see more of them over another Avengers film.

Last edited:

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Deadpool is coming out at the perfect time. People are slowly waking up to how cookie cuttery superhero movies tend to be now that a successful formula has been established, and Deadpool's brilliance has always been in mocking and satirizing the cookie cutters from comic books. There's just no better time to launch an R-rated movie that subverts all that banal no-risk filmmaking.

Maybe that's my point about Suicide Squad. A truly Ayer film of Suicide Squad could be stunningly brilliant, but it doesn't look like much more than a glossier The Expendables to me right now.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Batman vs Superman slowly and paintstakingly convinced me it would be a real movie. But then they added Wonder Woman. And now apparently Aquaman is in it. And Doomsday. And... so on.

It has clearly eroded from "batman vs superman" and into "let's throw a bunch of **** in here to setup our solo franchises we're not confident will do well without pre-hype"
I think they're actually trying to use it to set up justice league, not solo franchises. They saw how well avengers did and they want in.

Maven89

Smash Master
I had zero real interest in Suicide Squad until I saw what Cherilee said, that's an interesting point. I was pumped for a second for Batman v Superman, till I realized that's not actually the point of the movie. Suicide Squad would be a different take on superhero movies, as would Deadpool, which was something else I was worried about.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
I think they're actually trying to use it to set up justice league, not solo franchises. They saw how well avengers did and they want in.
...well, then you're just wrong?

I mean, they absolutely are setting up Justice League, and it's absolutely all related to seeing how well Avengers did, but they are also setting up their solo franchises. Green Lantern was a bombastic turd, and they're not taking that risk again when even that relatively palatable and recognizable IP failed. So, what a surprise. They launch a new Superman franchise, and even that didn't do as well as they wanted it to even if it was still a money maker. So, enter Batman vs Superman. And then enter Wonder Woman and all these other characters crowding the **** out of this movie and making it clearly Justice League Zero.

Aquaman, Wonder Woman and Flash movies are all coming out in the next few years. DC is basically doing a reverse Marvel, by having draw characters like Batman and Superman prop less known or (in pop culture, not so much comic fandom) laughable characters like Aquaman or Wonder Woman. These movies are expensive to make, you can only make so many Green Lanterns.

Like, come on. Justice League doesn't need setup, though you could hardly do worse than a movie called ****ing Batman vs Superman. In the end though, that's a movie that sells itself. What they want is to sell everything else.

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
It's a shame that our school can't afford new textbooks... Our Civics textbooks don't reference anything past the 2004 Republican National Convention and our Trig textbooks are 4 years older than I am...

I think the oldest textbooks that I've used in high school are the Chem textbooks that went out of print in the late 80's.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
...well, then you're just wrong?

I mean, they absolutely are setting up Justice League, and it's absolutely all related to seeing how well Avengers did, but they are also setting up their solo franchises. Green Lantern was a bombastic turd, and they're not taking that risk again when even that relatively palatable and recognizable IP failed. So, what a surprise. They launch a new Superman franchise, and even that didn't do as well as they wanted it to even if it was still a money maker. So, enter Batman vs Superman. And then enter Wonder Woman and all these other characters crowding the **** out of this movie and making it clearly Justice League Zero.

Aquaman, Wonder Woman and Flash movies are all coming out in the next few years. DC is basically doing a reverse Marvel, by having draw characters like Batman and Superman prop less known or (in pop culture, not so much comic fandom) laughable characters like Aquaman or Wonder Woman. These movies are expensive to make, you can only make so many Green Lanterns.

Like, come on. Justice League doesn't need setup, though you could hardly do worse than a movie called ****ing Batman vs Superman. In the end though, that's a movie that sells itself. What they want is to sell everything else.
You nailed my biggest issue with Batman vs Superman.

It's why I partly hated the Amazing Spiderman 2. Tons of set-up that leads nowhere since no more third movie. Too many god damn characters shoved in to set-up for a sinister 6.

Batman vs Superman...why is wonderwoman in this? Because set-up. Why is Doomsday here when Lex + Bizarro is already in it? Because set-up.

Just make a good movie with the character before trying to out muscle Marvel in movies.

edit: Man of Steel was a fine movie I suppose, I personally just hated some of the aspects of the movie but I liked it more than every other superman movie I have seen.

Last edited:

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
wow how did I never connect ASM2 and BVS

I have a feeling that's gonna end up being a very astute comparison. Hell, even the elements of BvS that WERE winning me over at first... like. ASM2 had its strong points. In fact it had some elements that were brilliant. BvS will have its moments. The shot of Superman standing with a look of consternation while a Dia de Los Muertes parade reaches out to him like a messianic figure is possibly one of the best, most thought provoking Superman shots ever put to film. Fittingly, the Gwen Stacey ending and the visualization of Electro's powers and loser personality were on point as all hell.

It's definitely not gonna be a total bag of ****. It's gonna have a few major highlights. But... yeah. It's gonna be a mess. It's just a damn virtual guarantee.

Last edited:

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Wait, Bizarro is in BvS? Are you sure? I never heard that. They've lost their god damn cookies if they're seriously doing bizarro and doomsday in the same ****ing movie

EDIT: I really enjoy Man of Steel. I think people that say it doesn't feel like superman kinda don't know what the hell they're talkin about. But it has a lot of bigtime flaws. Still, I'd have probably slobbered with appreciative love for the movie back in 2013 if I'd known how the DCCU was (apparently) going to end up. Like a fool I was bothering to assume that they were going to keep at least trying to live up to the pedigree set by Nolan's Batflicks.

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Wait, Bizarro is in BvS? Are you sure? I never heard that. They've lost their god damn cookies if they're seriously doing bizarro and doomsday in the same ****ing movie

EDIT: I really enjoy Man of Steel. I think people that say it doesn't feel like superman kinda don't know what the hell they're talkin about. But it has a lot of bigtime flaws. Still, I'd have probably slobbered with appreciative love for the movie back in 2013 if I'd known how the DCCU was (apparently) going to end up. Like a fool I was bothering to assume that they were going to keep at least trying to live up to the pedigree set by Nolan's Batflicks.
You know when superman pulls off batmans mask and smiles evily.

You know when you see a lot of superman behind lex luthor.

Why they got Zod's body.

Yeah I'm 95% sure that is bizzaro.

The Man From Delamar

Smash Journeyman
I dunno much about superheroes outside of watchin the cartoons Bruce timm made in the 90s and the recent video games/movies but Luthor always seemed to love his long cons and chess manipulation. If it turned out that he'd somehow masterminded the whole conflict from behind the scenes itd be fitting and interesting

But I mean bizarro is literally a ******** clone, and it seems obvious that Zod's body is doomsday with a new origin, a mix of a kryptonian corpse and LexCorp technology. I say this sadly, because what red ryu suggested would likely be a better movie

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I just want you all to know. All cremenals will be held above the law for committing a creme. You heard this right guys. An actual business sent that to my job with those exact words. I could not help but laugh.

ITS TOO BAD CREME IS LEGAL

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
So we got 2 inches of snow last Friday and everything was cancelled (nobody went to work, nobody went to school, everyone just stayed home). We also had school off yesterday and a 3-hour delay today, but commuting to school was a disaster. On the way to school, a lane on the highway was closed because there was too much snow there, there was a 3-car accident (slowing down traffic even more), and they didn't clear one of the right turn lanes onto the road to the school, so the highway got even more clogged as people trying to get to work had to get around people trying to turn into the only turn lane (not everyone fit, so the traffic behind us stopped until everyone got into the lane). Then I get to school and it turns out they didn't start clearing snow in the lots until that morning, so half of the lot was closed. I was told to leave the lot since there was no more parking space (people from the snowy side of the lot started to park wherever they wanted, so my reserved spot was taken), so I decided to drive back home to have my mom drop me off at school.

On my way home, I went in the direction opposite of the highway because the left turn lane out of the lot was blocked off. As I drove along, I noticed that the other side of the street was completely stopped and that everyone had really peeved expressions on their faces. Apparently the security officer got detracted by the proceedings and kept on bringing in traffic from the right turn lane while telling people to turn around and continue on Laura Duncan, so the left turn lane was completely ignored and built up to a mile long (not exaggerating, here is the approxamate length of the line). People got so fed up with waiting that the people who were turning left at the intersection of Laura Duncan and the Peakway parked smack dab the middle of the intersection and blocked the people going straight; numerous people almost had fender benders trying to navigate around the left-bound vehicles. I got home and explained the situation to my mom, then she drove me in and I got to first period about 15 minutes late. More people trickled in due to traffic problems as class continued and although the rest of the day was slightly less eventful, the half hour before school and all of first period were pure chaos.

TL;DR Snow in the South causes mass hysteria.

Top Bottom