• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

BarDulL

Town Vampire
i mean i think kary was being ignorant and douchey but

are you implying that you actually ****ing believe in gaia hypothesis? i thought you were just discussing it as a hypothetical and something that can be.
I'm not sure how you derived that I'm eccentric for entertaining the possibility of gaia theory being legitimate (most critical thinkers would at least do this much). Your ignorance is crystal-shattering at the moment. :p
I consider it possible, just like I consider the existence of gods to be possible.

The point I was making is that Kary initially approached me under the assumption that it was something I held near and dear to my heart, which would make his actions pretty ****ed up if that were true. Luckily I don't take as much offense to it because Kary is being a dumbie and it's only a theory (I dunno how many times I've said this).

This is BESIDES the point. If I actually did believe in it completely though, there isn't a fundamental problem with having that belief. It's not hurting ANYONE, Gorf. Phrasing your question with "you actually ****ing believe in gaia hypothesis" is pretty lame and negative.

Sometimes I wonder why I go on this forum.

The Man From Delamar

Smash Journeyman
Quickly, things are deescalating! Pour more hostility on the hostility on the spirituality, then we'll finally have world peace!

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
I consider it possible, just like I consider the existence of gods to be possible.

The point I was making is that Kary initially approached me under the assumption that it was something I held near and dear to my heart, which would make his actions pretty ****ed up if that were true. Luckily I don't take as much offense to it because Kary is being a dumbie and it's only a theory (I dunno how many times I've said this).

This is BESIDES the point. If I actually did believe in it completely though, there isn't a fundamental problem with having that belief. It's not hurting ANYONE, Gorf. Phrasing your question with "you actually ****ing believe in gaia hypothesis" is pretty lame and negative.

Sometimes I wonder why I go on this forum.
no. it does hurt people when others believe something like ****ing gaia hypothesis. cuz believing gaia hypothesis to be true lends to implications that the tangible complications that we face today arent that big a deal cuz "lol well we'll adapt." thats bad. same principle for why its bad that people believe in scientology (just not to that degree of directly negative). darwin evolution is a theory that isnt proven law obviously, but is something credible and worth logically leaning toward. if you did believe gaia hypothesis to be true thatd be a sad representation for the species which i represent, and not one i can just simply shrug off as "different people different taste."

edit

like, no, i dont agree with marshy when he says christ is coming back and we should all enlist in the army to fight satan when revelations becomes a reality. but the fact is there is no sort of harm in marshy believing that, and further than that, theres no way to determine whether or not hes right or wrong, so its on me to determine whether or not i wanna follow. i think just up n letting abiotic crap take a **** on the earth is bad, and think that letting someone say "nah its okay, gaia 'theory' (cuz its a ****ing insult to call it a theory) says its all good. we'll just adapt." IS BAD.

doubly edit to clarify

does the concept intrigue me? sure, i think itd be interesting if thats how things work out and wish/hope for a way to observe whether it plays out like that. but the implications behind treating it like its a thing are next level stupid lol

Last edited:

BarDulL

Town Vampire
no. it does hurt people when others believe something like ****ing gaia hypothesis. cuz believing gaia hypothesis to be true lends to implications that the tangible complications that we face today arent that big a deal cuz "lol well we'll adapt." thats bad. same principle for why its bad that people believe in scientology (just not to that degree of directly negative). darwin evolution is a theory that isnt proven law obviously, but is something credible and worth logically leaning toward. if you did believe gaia hypothesis to be true thatd be a sad representation for the species which i represent, and not one i can just simply shrug off as "different people different taste."

edit

like, no, i dont agree with marshy when he says christ is coming back and we should all enlist in the army to fight satan when revelations becomes a reality. but the fact is there is no sort of harm in marshy believing that, and further than that, theres no way to determine whether or not hes right or wrong, so its on me to determine whether or not i wanna follow. i think just up n letting abiotic crap take a **** on the earth is bad, and think that letting someone say "nah its okay, gaia 'theory' (cuz its a ****ing insult to call it a theory) says its all good. we'll just adapt." IS BAD.

doubly edit to clarify

does the concept intrigue me? sure, i think itd be interesting if thats how things work out and wish/hope for a way to observe whether it plays out like that. but the implications behind treating it like its a thing are next level stupid lol
That isn't what the Gaia hypothesis is, you scrub lord weeb.

Let's just drop it, or I'll falcon punch you in the nuts.

Edit (post-infraction): this post was said in jest. :facepalm:

Last edited:

Maven89

Smash Master
Problem is with people saying they do the right thing just for the sake of it, is that when they explain it they make it clear they just do it for themselves, which opens up the question of "who decides what is the right thing?". People mention the Golden Rule, but the golden rule changes based on each individual. There's people in the Middle East who would want to be killed if they left Islam, does that make it morally OK for them to kill those who do? They're following the Golden Rule.

In short, from my own experience, Atheists follow a moral path that they have zero justification for existing or following, while rarely actually being moral relativists in the sense that they believe morality is completely decided by an individual. While I've met athiests (and have been one) who tried to argue about cultural relativism when it comes to morality, I've never met one who would OK gangraping a child if they adults doing it thought it was OK. There's always a line that is drawn that they have no justification for existing.

#HBC | Gorf

wiki said:
The Gaia hypothesis, also known as Gaia theory or Gaia principle, proposes that organisms interact with their inorganic surroundings on Earth to form a self-regulating, complex systemthat helps to maintain the conditions for life on the planet. Topics of interest include how the biosphere and the evolution of life forms affect the stability of global temperature, ocean salinity, oxygen in the atmosphere and other environmental variables that affect the habitability of Earth.
unless wikipedia failed me, yes it is. sure seems like people who believd this would believe that taking steps to preserve the earth from the inorganic is dumb cuz "lol we'll adapt." but i must be wrong.

Maven89

Smash Master
Sounds like it's a mixture of "life finds a way" and Mother Earth concepts. Doesn't mean they view humans as being all that important though, just part of a cog, so while life might adapt, humans won't. Problem is that this implies it's immoral to change the environment

BarDulL

Town Vampire
There is no certainty that humans, or other animals, will live, and is the flaw with the assumption made in Gorf's post/s.

It's not immoral to change the environment if it leads to the sustaining of life on the planet in the long run, however long that run is. But that is actually a huge part of the debate, because there's no real way of knowing for sure whether the trade off for having plastic in the ocean for the sake of using plastic materials in 1st world countries contributes to sustaining in the long run, for instance (hence criticism of the theory). Then there's global warming, etc.

Last edited:

Maven89

Smash Master
Well there's also the fact that the Earth has survived meteorites in the past, if the Earth made humans to protect life on this planet then the Earth is pretty stupid, we're currently in a mass extinction that is caused by us.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
OK, I need to get something off of my chest. NASCAR has been, is, and always will be my favorites sport. I wanted to be a NASCAR driver when I was a kid, and have pictures of Rusty Wallace, Jeff Gordon and Ryan Newman on my wall, and I have a nut from the bottom of Jimmie Johnson's car. But that's not what I need to get off my chest, as I've always been open about my love of racing.

The thing that bothers me is every time I mention NASCAR to someone and ask what drivers they know of (since most people I know don't really follow NASCAR), Danica Patrick is brought up pretty much every time. She is a girl that races and that's great, but she doesn't deserve all of the attention that she receives. She's a poor sport, doesn't know how to drive well, always blames someone else when she screws up, and gets everyone's adoration because of her gender. People who support her say that she's getting so much attention for supporting gender equality, but if everyone were equal, she wouldn't be more of a household name than someone like Harvick, Truex, or Logano (all FAR superior drivers).

She's had a total of one top 5 finish in her entire career for stock car racing, and it wasn't even a podium. If you look at this season's results, she hasn't led for a single lap and her best finish is 16th (where she started at 11th). She is one of the highest ranked professional drivers in average crashes per year, she always blames someone else even when she wrecks (even if it's her fault), and she intentionally tries to retaliate against them even if it was an accident. That's not the type of person you want on the track with you, especially at 200+ MPH. If you need any proof of anything in this post, I can give you video evidence.

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
Well I would imagine that people who are less invested in the sport than you are going to care less about the accomplishments of the people in that field, and more about other factors.

you've gotta question why a lot of people look up to her.
I would imagine they look up to her because she is a woman.

#HBC | Gorf

yea i dont follow nascar much but i know shes notoriously not all that great, and that she just happens to be a good lookin' lady. but its definitely the fact that shes a chick in a male dominated "sport."

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
I've just barely heard of her, I don't really like NASCAR much at all. But Spak has successfully convinced me that she's kind of not a great person, and not a very good driver either

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I like Nascar because it looks cool and sounds cool.... VROOOOOM. VROOOOM. That's it. I liked it more as a kid.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
idk I'm the guy who watches girls stream just because I enjoy listening to/looking at girls more than guys. I don't think anyone is pretending she's any better than these guys either, it's just natural. Such are the ways of the world. You have your guy advantages, girls have their girl advantages (i dont actually know your gender but u kno).

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
I don't think Streamfame is really comparable to being given accolades in a sport you're kind of just okay at best at.

Like I get what you're goin for, but watching a stream if you're into that is all personal preference stuff unless them being really good at the video game is for some reason a high priority over their personality/voice/etc. Personality, voice, appearance, you name it, none of these things have anything to do with a person making a living in sports. You're either good at it or you're not.

then again nascar is pretty heavily commercialized so I"m not all that surprised. Patrick is marketable. She probably accomplishes more for her sponsors just by being gorgeous and drawing people's attention than anything on the race track short of placing first frequently would

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
You say this..:
Personality, voice, appearance, you name it, none of these things have anything to do with a person making a living in sports. You're either good at it or you're not.
and then immediately this?:
then again nascar is pretty heavily commercialized so I"m not all that surprised. Patrick is marketable. She probably accomplishes more for her sponsors just by being gorgeous and drawing people's attention than anything on the race track short of placing first frequently would
Like, the latter is exactly the point. When a sport is a sausage fest, a girl will get attention just for being a girl. You know, by being gorgeous etc... exactly like you said. You don't have to be good. Just like with streaming?
so idk, it seems pretty comparable to me and reading your post it also seems pretty comparable to you. Am I missing the nuance? .-.

Last edited:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I mainly picked the "Heroes" cover shot because it's his most iconic image. As far as albums go Hunky Dory will always be number one with Low and "Heroes" somewhat close behind.

Blackstar makes a lot of sense when you realize he was dying of cancer while making it.

Rip
Word. I listened to it on the day of its release and was like "holy ****, this sounds like a requiem". Two days later ... he returned to the stars. With hindsight it seems quite clear that he saw his death coming when he made the album. Songs like "I can't give everything away" gain another morbid layer of meaning through his death and I wouldn't put it beyond Bowie to have it kind of planned to work this way.

:059:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
This is quite brilliant.

The "making love with his ego" line from Ziggy Stardust's title track fits Kanye perfectly as well!

:059:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Problem is with people saying they do the right thing just for the sake of it, is that when they explain it they make it clear they just do it for themselves, which opens up the question of "who decides what is the right thing?". People mention the Golden Rule, but the golden rule changes based on each individual. There's people in the Middle East who would want to be killed if they left Islam, does that make it morally OK for them to kill those who do? They're following the Golden Rule.

In short, from my own experience, Atheists follow a moral path that they have zero justification for existing or following, while rarely actually being moral relativists in the sense that they believe morality is completely decided by an individual. While I've met athiests (and have been one) who tried to argue about cultural relativism when it comes to morality, I've never met one who would OK gangraping a child if they adults doing it thought it was OK. There's always a line that is drawn that they have no justification for existing.
I can see that with what I said, in a way when I said that it does imply I do it to make others happy since that makes me happy as well. In a way, you could say I am in a way being selfish with it since there is something I gain from it.

I tend not to think too much about it though. I mostly stick to the idea of what I should do and think about it constructively when I can.

The "right thing" does open the door of if it is a cultural thing or ones up bringing or something else. Instead of a golden rule of sorts. The issue I have is when cultural relativism turns into ethical subjectivism where it's used as a cop out to say, "that's just an opinion" in terms of ethics or any rules for what the right thing to do is.

~

Ps sad day about Bowie :(

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
OK, I need to get something off of my chest. NASCAR has been, is, and always will be my favorites sport. I wanted to be a NASCAR driver when I was a kid, and have pictures of Rusty Wallace, Jeff Gordon and Ryan Newman on my wall, and I have a nut from the bottom of Jimmie Johnson's car. But that's not what I need to get off my chest, as I've always been open about my love of racing.

The thing that bothers me is every time I mention NASCAR to someone and ask what drivers they know of (since most people I know don't really follow NASCAR), Danica Patrick is brought up pretty much every time. She is a girl that races and that's great, but she doesn't deserve all of the attention that she receives. She's a poor sport, doesn't know how to drive well, always blames someone else when she screws up, and gets everyone's adoration because of her gender. People who support her say that she's getting so much attention for supporting gender equality, but if everyone were equal, she wouldn't be more of a household name than someone like Harvick, Truex, or Logano (all FAR superior drivers).

She's had a total of one top 5 finish in her entire career for stock car racing, and it wasn't even a podium. If you look at this season's results, she hasn't led for a single lap and her best finish is 16th (where she started at 11th). She is one of the highest ranked professional drivers in average crashes per year, she always blames someone else even when she wrecks (even if it's her fault), and she intentionally tries to retaliate against them even if it was an accident. That's not the type of person you want on the track with you, especially at 200+ MPH. If you need any proof of anything in this post, I can give you video evidence.
There's also people (like me) who only know of Danica Patrick because she was in Go Daddy commercials for, like, ever. I only knew her as "the girl from the Go Daddy Commercials" for YEARS before I even found out she was a NASCAR driver. I think it took them actually featuring her Go Daddy emblazoned stock car in one of the commercials for me to discover this.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
I got my hair cut today. I told the guy to trim my hair; I left with more hair on the floor than on my heal :(

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
*Head. But yeah, he lopped off about 3/4 to 1 inch of hair. RIP my bangs.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Just did all kinds of Pamplona Point Prologuing.

Everybody not playing the game has literally no idea what they're missing :o

Top Bottom