• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
I feel like this is a wasted vote because if that one is not added as DLC it will be definitely be added in the next game anyway.
It's not a wasted vote if I want them in this game instead of the next one that may not even happen. >__>

BarDulL

Town Vampire
I voted Cloud Strife from Final Fantasy 7, because he is the ultimate warrior and has a giant sword and has super saiyan hair and omgerd so g00d. My second pick was Malzahar from League of Legends.

I actually voted for Geno. Super Mario RPG op.

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
I'd vote for Neku if I thought that guy had any chance of getting into the game.

Alas, he probably won't. I wanna vote for Tetra or WW Ganondorf instead.

:186:

Maven89

Smash Master
I went to an Elder Scrolls lore subreddit and asked them which race they would consider the most evil

They called me a racist

Maven89

Smash Master
Wait seriously? Sometimes i can't tell with you

My argument is pretty simple. Is it racist to call Orcs in LOTR evil? No, because that's how they're presented. Is it racist to say Dunmer are demon worshiping slave owners? No, because that's how they're presented. Is it racist to say worshiping demons and keeping slaves is evil? No, obviously not. So the Dunmer, as they're presented in the game, are pretty evil.

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
i'm kinda surprised because i thought that ES kinda inherited that fantasy genre where some races and peoples were just evil, and that was kinda the point- some people wanted to RPG as a callous murderer dude.

that being said it wouldn't surprise me to see someone getting their jollies by being politically correct about a fantasy setting on the internet.

that being said i don't know what you were expecting in asking that question in the first place lol.

Also, I heard Groose was a popular choice for Smash4

Kappa

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232

My argument is pretty simple. Is it racist to call Orcs in LOTR evil? No, because that's how they're presented. Is it racist to say Dunmer are demon worshiping slave owners? No, because that's how they're presented. Is it racist to say worshiping demons and keeping slaves is evil? No, obviously not. So the Dunmer, as they're presented in the game, are pretty evil.
You make good arguments for why Dunmer are Evil. But seriously? The Altmer. Go play through Oblivion and Skyrim again, and then make me a list of Altmer characters that you meet, who don't turn out to be bad guys. Between both games, you can probably count that list on one hand. Every High Elf you meet is a villain, really.

Maven89

Smash Master
Oh, yeah, my choice was the Altmer. I just used the Dunmer as an example. Personally hoping the next game is a elf murderfest since Skyrim never really allowed you to do that. I mean they even give you an axe that does more damage to elves, but where are the elves you can slaughter?

Last edited:

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend

Except that's not true of all dunmer or even all dunmer political structures and furthermore you could look at many other races and give similar critiques.

The presentation of orcs is as a monolythic whole, their nature is purely evil because they were a race designed for that express purpose by Morgoth, on the other hand (and this is probably partially because your character can hail from any race) all members of all races in TES are presented as individuals with their own agency, so generalizing their inherent natures from the actions of a few or their government is wrong. All governments in the elder scrolls are or have been involved in, you could argue that dark elf culture has substantial issues but placing them as an evil race is wrong.

You probably got that criticism because looking to generalize inherent evil from the actions of one's government, from issues with one's culture, or from the actions of a few when applied to humans is in fact quite racist. People were presumably calling you out on it because of how close the line of thought is.

Also, I'll note that a common criticism in LOTR is it's overt racism.

You make good arguments for why Dunmer are Evil. But seriously? The Altmer. Go play through Oblivion and Skyrim again, and then make me a list of Altmer characters that you meet, who don't turn out to be bad guys. Between both games, you can probably count that list on one hand. Every High Elf you meet is a villain, really.
A bit of confirmation bias there, the Aldmari dominion is clearly evil but off the top of my head I think of multiple figures involved in the college of winterhold such as the mage you initially meet when trying to gain entrance to the college and the mage you meet in the Azura's star quest.

The reason why one would get that impression is that the Aldmari dominion has a lot of presence in skyrim (due to the Nord's commitment on the Talos issue) and otherwise there are relatively few high elves present in the game. The remaining high elves vary between good and bad in about the same proportion.

Last edited:

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
lol adum

you know, for as much as skyrim was a game about exploring corridors and hitting things with sticks, the underlying story about the politics and history of skyrim was really cool, all that white-gold concordant &etc

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
lol adum

you know, for as much as skyrim was a game about exploring corridors and hitting things with sticks, the underlying story about the politics and history of skyrim was really cool, all that white-gold concordant &etc
PRetty much, I really love the underlying setting and picking out a race as "evil" definitely is a poor illustration. It entirely misses the point of much of the characterization in the games.

Last edited:

Maven89

Smash Master
Nah, when a fantasy world has eight different races, all with their own beliefs and cultures, and some of those cultures are revolved around worshiping demons, death, slavery, genocide, and destroying the ****ing world, I think it's more then safe to label some of those as evil, even if it makes someone uncomfortable or there are outliers.

Now yeah, they do all have problems, but when the question is "who is the most evil", well that's different. Because I think you can easily say one of those races are more inclined to evil then others. Racism is wrong in our world because it's not accurate. In TES forming a personality based solely on a race is basically 100% accurate. I don't remember meeting a single high elf that didn't have a superiority complex over other races or a Dunmer who was against slavery.

Though, I'll admit I never played Morrowind so maybe there's that

I mean the Khajity are almost entirely thieves. That's canonical to the game itself, and it's regularly told to you Would you say it's racist to repeat that information that the game world gives you?

Now again I was just thinking it'd be a fun discussion, people arguing which race was the most evil, but the idea that it's racist is preposterous. The game does present the races as being largely unified in their beliefs and culture, and you can easily judge those things. I mean on a lot of ways they're all evil, they all have problems and I really do love the TES world and that there is no clear "evil" race, but which of those races is the most evil I actually find to be an interesting and light moral discussion.

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan

no not seriously, anyone taking an offense to a video game universe's race like that is a skid mark on the human race

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Or maybe you're being told that to characterize the person who says it as a racist. Sentiments of racial animosity are a major part of the elder scrolls universe and pretty much every cultural group in the TES universe has been revealed to have signifigant race issues.

The thing is you're generalizing based on incomplete information, if your only encounter with high elves was the aldmari dominion then of course you're going to think every high elf has a superiority complex, but plenty of high elves outside of the aldmari don't treat you that way (the aforementioned two for example) and while I can't remember any dumner outright opposing slavery in skyrim, I also can't remember any endorsing it.

Though, in Skyrim slavery had been illegal in the Morrowind province for a very long time because a dumner king that you support eventually outlaws it (Hlaalu Helseth) but prior to that there was significant debate in the great houses over the issue with Hlaalu heavily opposing it and Dres and Telvanni endorsing it, but even then there was infighting between individual members.

Another example of this is stated outright that nords in general are distrustful of magic, however there are many nord mages in Skyrim.

The only practical way that you can get this is if it's held up this way in TES online, which is a standalone universe that is directly stated to be non-cannonical to the other games and the other games to it. Since I've made my distaste for it claiming to be "the real elder scrolls universe" known I've never played it and don't care to though it wouldn't surprise me if part of it's lore changed included turning every character into carbon cutouts of their racial stereotypes, but that's a failing on TES online's part and not a general commentary on the series, it's always been more nuanced. Even then, an essential nature argument is weird.

Last edited:
Top Bottom