• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Lol, nerd rage. ESO is a great game, you should try it out instead of complaining that they added fictional events to a fictional world's fictional history. Honestly ESO has a better Main Quest then either Skyrim or Oblivion, and it even ripped it off from Oblivion.

Also, https://twitter.com/TESOnline/status/372017971423498240, so there goes your "non-canon" fantasy. Dunmer and Argonians formed an alliance with the Nords. That's almost definitely be mentioned in future TES games.
Cause I have emotional attatchment to earlier games in the series (specifically morrowind) and dislike it's treatment of the lore? Are we not allowed to have opinions and preferences based on those opinions.

Been trying to search for the actual statements, but one of the leads at the time involved in lore creation said that ESO is the real lore and the other games are akin to mythology. Having trouble tracking the source down, but it's literally what made me stop following ESO when I read it years ago.

Taken together it means that ESO is it's own cannon universe but unaffected by the other games, well beyond in the future of it's universe they will exist as stories. But those stories have an internal cannon.

Maven89

Smash Master
Sorry I actually edited my post a little before you responded, dunno why I was so annoyed before

Not sure about that statement, but since the game takes place thousands of years before I can only assume he was referring to the time period the game took place in, that ESO has it right and later books you find in Skyrim are wrong, which I don't think is really a big thing since the history books you find contradict each other and show biases on purpose, it's already supposed to be ambiguous if they're right.

I also really like the game lore, which I guess might have not come off with my recent posts, but that's one of the reasons I'm loving ESO. It's literally the biggest lore dump the games have ever had. Whole story lines involving the Hist and how the Argonian's get their souls, their afterlife and what happens to them, as well as just seeing their Aztec inspired architecture and ruins. I still don't think it's worth a subscription fee but without one the game is very much worth the $60, especially if you like giant PVP battles

edit: dude your quote was pulled from a troll twitter account https://twitter.com/loreapeschick

Last edited:

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
You make good arguments for why Dunmer are Evil. But seriously? The Altmer. Go play through Oblivion and Skyrim again, and then make me a list of Altmer characters that you meet, who don't turn out to be bad guys. Between both games, you can probably count that list on one hand. Every High Elf you meet is a villain, really.
The Thalmor are the real antagonists of ES

:186:

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
:phone:

I always have a problem picking a side on that civil war. The first time I played skyrim, I ended up in solitude for...reasons, and ended up joining the imperials because I was there and they were bothering me. In this current play through, I dunno which to pick. The imperials mean well but they're under the control of the thalmor so that's no good. Meanwhile I wander into windhelm for the first time and remembered why I don't really go there: it's ****. Nords are racists assholes and windhelm's a run down ****hole.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Sorry I actually edited my post a little before you responded, dunno why I was so annoyed before

Not sure about that statement, but since the game takes place thousands of years before I can only assume he was referring to the time period the game took place in, that ESO has it right and later books you find in Skyrim are wrong, which I don't think is really a big thing since the history books you find contradict each other and show biases on purpose, it's already supposed to be ambiguous if they're right.

I also really like the game lore, which I guess might have not come off with my recent posts, but that's one of the reasons I'm loving ESO. It's literally the biggest lore dump the games have ever had. Whole story lines involving the Hist and how the Argonian's get their souls, their afterlife and what happens to them, as well as just seeing their Aztec inspired architecture and ruins. I still don't think it's worth a subscription fee but without one the game is very much worth the $60, especially if you like giant PVP battles

edit: dude your quote was pulled from a troll twitter account https://twitter.com/loreapeschick
I would be rather amused if it was but I got it from a gaming news site and this twitter is clearly marked as parody, the status is doubtless a reference.

Though, you explanation does make a reasonable amount of sense, but regardless if you're playing it and it gives the impression that the races are essentially homogeneous outgrowths of a core characterization then it sounds like it doesn't paint a very interesting world.

Maven89

Smash Master
I was basing that more off Skryim, actually. Either way I'd love for you to find that quote because honestly I don't think it exists. Searching for it the only thing I found was that twitter and an image macro someone made of it, then dozens of forum threads were people complained about it, so honestly I more then believe that fake twitter account or the image macro was the source and people believed it because it fit what they wanted to believe

Last edited:

Maven89

Smash Master
:phone:

I always have a problem picking a side on that civil war. The first time I played skyrim, I ended up in solitude for...reasons, and ended up joining the imperials because I was there and they were bothering me. In this current play through, I dunno which to pick. The imperials mean well but they're under the control of the thalmor so that's no good. Meanwhile I wander into windhelm for the first time and remembered why I don't really go there: it's ****. Nords are racists *******s and windhelm's a run down ****hole.

Imperials. An independent Skyrim weakens the opposition to the Thalmor. You can find a book in their embassy where they mention how pleased by are by Ulfric's rebellion.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I was basing that more off Skryim, actually. Either way I'd love for you to find that quote because honestly I don't think it exists. Searching for it the only thing I found was that twitter and an image macro someone made of it, then dozens of forum threads were people complained about it, so honestly I more then believe that fake twitter account or the image macro was the source and people believed it because it fit what they wanted to believe
Where did you find support for slavery in skyrim? The only interaction which bears any relevance to that is J'zargo's admission to the mage's college in winterhold because the Khajiit are a traditional slave race and the archmage is a dunmer. None of the dunmer in Skyrim remotely agree with slavery.

As far as the altmer, the thalmor explicitly believe in racial superiority but none of the altmer that aren't aligned with them that I can remember have this racial attitude. Carecalmo even falls in love with a redguard, and given that most of the altmer outside of the aldmeri dominion explicitly oppose it's politics which include it's racism.

As far as the quote, another friend confirms my memory of it, question was "what made you lose interest in TSO?" and he said, "do't you remember what the loremaster said about the previous games being non-cannon, it was on a ton of gaming sites". So I presume my memory is accurate in this case.

Maven89

Smash Master

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
Imperials. An independent Skyrim weakens the opposition to the Thalmor. You can find a book in their embassy where they mention how pleased by are by Ulfric's rebellion.
Yeh I'm probably gonna side with them. I'm not even playing a Nord anyway so **** 'em.

#bretonmasterrace #wizardsupremacy

RosalinaSGS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2062-9707-3637
What's exactly is occam's razor? IIRC from Wikipedia, it's basically a method ignoring all potential WIFOM, right?

Thingyman

Smash Cadet
Game 1 of the second season of the Mafia Championship has started: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/59/puzzles-other-games/2015-mafia-championship-game-1-a-1523482/

If you'd like to spectate the game, feel free to add me on Skype and I'll invite you to the spectator chat: thingyman

The chat attracted more than a 100 people last time from all the various communities and was a ton of fun. Most importantly, it is a great opportunity for networking and creating connections with other communities as evidenced by the fact that it led to a bunch of crossover games the first time around. You should pop in and say hello :)

LINE-UP
Bubbles (NinSheetMusic)
CPHoya (Super Mafia All Stars)
fontisian (Dark Lord Potter)
Guild (Talking Time)
Harb (Play Diplomacy)
itisally (The Grey Labyrinth)
NeilOnnsu (Art of Problem Solving)
Paperblade (Serenes Forest)
TheDarkestLight (SC2 Mafia)
Timewave (Atheist Foundation of Australia)
VikeStep (Feed the Beast)
Vytron (xkcd)
Zack (CivFanatics)

Fandangox

Smash Lord
hell yea kendall campus dawg B| you should swing by on one of the days they have smash 4 in the cafeteria so i can swing by and mop the floor with you
That;d be great (I'd be the one doin' the moping tho), I am about 30 minutes from there on car (I dont have a car) and about an hour and ten minutes with public transportation. Unfortunately I'd only be able to show up on Sundays since I am busy every other day, and I doubt there'd be anyone there on Sunday lol

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
hell YEA youd be moping (get it?), cuz id be kickin your ass from here to aventura (oNlY mIaMi ReSiDeNtS uNdErStAnD)

also, not only does the guy who brings his wii u not come to school on sundays, but the cafeteria is closed then lmao. but apparently arcade odyssey hosts weekly smash tourneys on fridays, which is right around the corner from mdc. if youre down we should set up a day to both go and chill and smash and love life and toast walrus and whatnot :cool:

Fandangox

Smash Lord
hell YEA youd be moping (get it?), cuz id be kickin your *** from here to aventura (oNlY mIaMi ReSiDeNtS uNdErStAnD)

also, not only does the guy who brings his wii u not come to school on sundays, but the cafeteria is closed then lmao. but apparently arcade odyssey hosts weekly smash tourneys on fridays, which is right around the corner from mdc. if youre down we should set up a day to both go and chill and smash and love life and toast walrus and whatnot :cool:
Currently I am working everyday except Sundays from 8am to around 9pm so I wouldn't be able to make it there either lol, although we can see in Skype if we can plan something up. Knowing about the weekly Smash tourneys is a good though, definitely would want to at least go there once whenever I get a new schedule.

Top Bottom