• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

Maven89

Smash Master
So I started playing Sunless Sea. It's the first rogue-type game I've played, never could get over losing everything. It really adds so much to the game when you know dying actually maters, something that would normally be annoying like running out of fuel now becomes incredibly tense and fun since you have no option but to try and make it, and a single misstep means losing everything.

Also the game itself is fun. People are saying it's a trading game, which I'll just point out is absolutely not true, there's almost no trade routes you can run and the money you make from them are pitiful. It's more of an RPG where you explore a lovecraftian subterranean ocean and finish quests on the islands. It has great atmosphere and is really fun, I'd recommend it.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
So I started playing Sunless Sea. It's the first rogue-type game I've played, never could get over losing everything. It really adds so much to the game when you know dying actually maters, something that would normally be annoying like running out of fuel now becomes incredibly tense and fun since you have no option but to try and make it, and a single misstep means losing everything.

Also the game itself is fun. People are saying it's a trading game, which I'll just point out is absolutely not true, there's almost no trade routes you can run and the money you make from them are pitiful. It's more of an RPG where you explore a lovecraftian subterranean ocean and finish quests on the islands. It has great atmosphere and is really fun, I'd recommend it.
Darkest Dungeon made me feel the exact same way as you described in the first paragraph. Sunless Sea looks really fun. Definitely adding that to my "buy when it goes on sale" list.

Last edited:

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
Seems really cool and I'm a huge fan of that type of game... but I can't be bothered to drop $19 on it. Maybe one day if it ends up super cheap!

In a sorta related genre... Etrian Mystery Dungeon! Is anybody else all about this? A top 3 favorite franchise of mine mixed with Mystery Dungeon?

Last edited:

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer

#HBC | Nabe

Beneath it all, he had H-cups all along
Can't breathe, but the view is equal to the taste
Seems really cool and I'm a huge fan of that type of game... but I can't be bothered to drop $19 on it. Maybe one day if it ends up super cheap!

In a sorta related genre... Etrian Mystery Dungeon! Is anybody else all about this? A top 3 favorite franchise of mine mixed with Mystery Dungeon?
Persona 4: Dancing All Night has my heart at the moment, but I'd definitely like to pick it up. Maybe when I've actually beaten Millennium Girl and Persona Q, so I don't feel terrible about putting another EO on my shelf.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
I hope this rebalance makes Umaro stunningly beautiful because otherwise I find this offensive.

I'd like Millenium Girl much more if the Medic wasn't forced on you in story mode. Hate his character and I hate using main-class dedicated healers. At least based Raquna makes up for it by being my favorite class and favorite character. I can't believe they added a character all the way from the mysterious lands of Canada into the game.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
So I'm playing an entirely rebalanced Final Fantasy 6 mod. The cast is set and the adventure now begins, starring:

Sophie as Terra
@Raziek as Locke
@KevinM as Edgar
@Ignatius as Sabin
@Juushichi as Shadow
@Armor as Cyan
@Shadow Moth as Gau
@ #HBC | ZoZo #HBC | ZoZo as Celes
@Overswarm as Setzer
@ #HBC | Laundry #HBC | Laundry as Strago
Lucy Freshmuffins as Relm
@ Gova Gova as Mog
@ DtJ S2n DtJ S2n as Umaro
@Player 3 as Gogo

I am looking forward to this run given what I know of the rebalance and the design goals behind it.
What? I didn't make the cut? I'm hurt

Kiddin, what's changed?

BarDulL

Town Vampire
So I'm playing an entirely rebalanced Final Fantasy 6 mod. The cast is set and the adventure now begins, starring:

Sophie as Terra
@Raziek as Locke
@KevinM as Edgar
@Ignatius as Sabin
@Juushichi as Shadow
@Armor as Cyan
@Shadow Moth as Gau
@Overswarm as Setzer
@ Gova Gova as Mog
@Player 3 as Gogo

I am looking forward to this run given what I know of the rebalance and the design goals behind it.
concerned that you didn't change kefka's name file to 'overswarm'

Last edited:

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
What? I didn't make the cut? I'm hurt

Kiddin, what's changed?
Primarily the ****ty forumlas involving physical attacks are reworked. Stamina has been made to be a thing you want instead of a stat that just made Regen and it's opposing effect (Seizure) tick for more (this means certain attacks like Aurabolt or Swdtech #5 use it instead of Magic). Rebalanced skills to make more sense (ex. Suplex does physical damage) and be more/less useful. Physical Evade now does something rather than everything depending on Magic evade. Made Espers level your stats 25 times on a separate level than your own level so that you aren't incentivized to keep your levels as low as possible. Bound each character so they may only equip certain Espers. Rebalnced equipment (Genji Glove and Gauntlet are gone, but Knives and Ninja Swords can be dual wielded while Lances and Katanas take two hands. Offering is Setzer only. Brushes now heal on attack and rods use MP to crit, etc). Rebalanced enemy mobs.

Also fixed many known bugs (no more Vanish->Death).

On a funny note, the byte that made Suplex not work on aerial opponents was retooled to make fractional damage work on only some enemies so that it didn't share the same byte as Death (making them useless because why not just kill things). This means Suplex now works on everything (not like it stopped him from suplexing the train before). In short, this means that, yes, I will be pile driving Kefka.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Primarily the ****ty forumlas involving physical attacks are reworked. Stamina has been made to be a thing you want instead of a stat that just made Regen and it's opposing effect (Seizure) tick for more (this means certain attacks like Aurabolt or Swdtech #5 use it instead of Magic). Rebalanced skills to make more sense (ex. Suplex does physical damage) and be more/less useful. Physical Evade now does something rather than everything depending on Magic evade. Made Espers level your stats 25 times on a separate level than your own level so that you aren't incentivized to keep your levels as low as possible. Bound each character so they may only equip certain Espers. Rebalnced equipment (Genji Glove and Gauntlet are gone, but Knives and Ninja Swords can be dual wielded while Lances and Katanas take two hands. Offering is Setzer only. Brushes now heal on attack and rods use MP to crit, etc). Rebalanced enemy mobs.

Also fixed many known bugs (no more Vanish->Death).

On a funny note, the byte that made Suplex not work on aerial opponents was retooled to make fractional damage work on only some enemies so that it didn't share the same byte as Death (making them useless because why not just kill things). This means Suplex now works on everything (not like it stopped him from suplexing the train before). In short, this means that, yes, I will be pile driving Kefka.
Holy **** yes.

This based on the original or gba version? If the latter didn't they fix the evade and vanish/doom glitches in that version?

The other thing, did Sabin get a mage esper setup or did his blitzes get switched to based on strength? I'm cool with either solution but if neither, that's a crazy nerf on a middle of the road character (even if the suplex thing is nice) cause his later blitzes are int based making him a stronger magic then physical character.

Other stuff looks pretty awesome.

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
Well, to be fair, I don't think I would want to be friends with someone who tries to brute force their way into my accounts.

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719

Sophie as Terra
@Raziek as Locke
@KevinM as Edgar
@Ignatius as Sabin
@Juushichi as Shadow
@Armor as Cyan
@Shadow Moth as Gau
@Overswarm as Setzer
@ Gova Gova as Mog
@Player 3 as Gogo

>blue mage
>crochety old man

pls dood

:186:

Rajam

Smash Champion
@BSL
@ Dooms Dooms
@ #HBC | Nabe #HBC | Nabe
@ Xivii Xivii
@ ~ Gheb ~ ~ Gheb ~
@ Handorin Handorin

I'd like to schedule a Saboteur session some time this week; I'm thinking this thursday at 21:00 GMT (+0:00). If only 1 or 2 people can, I'll change it (open to suggestions). I guess it'll be impossible to gather all 7 of us, due to time constraints, lack of motivation, etc. so I'm thinking in leaving some spots open to general players around the site. let me know your thoughts :O

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Holy **** yes.

This based on the original or gba version? If the latter didn't they fix the evade and vanish/doom glitches in that version?

The other thing, did Sabin get a mage esper setup or did his blitzes get switched to based on strength? I'm cool with either solution but if neither, that's a crazy nerf on a middle of the road character (even if the suplex thing is nice) cause his later blitzes are int based making him a stronger magic then physical character.

Other stuff looks pretty awesome.
SNES

There are physical blitzes (all of which are affected by row now) and then there are blitzes based on Stamina like Aurabolt, whatever his healing one is, and a new one which heals MP. Those are more moved toward working well with his debilitating magic access.

Yeah, he was a mage in the original.

http://www.insanedifficulty.com/board/index.php?/forum/133-final-fantasy-vi-brave-new-world/

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
SNES

There are physical blitzes (all of which are affected by row now) and then there are blitzes based on Stamina like Aurabolt, whatever his healing one is, and a new one which heals MP. Those are more moved toward working well with his debilitating magic access.

Yeah, he was a mage in the original.

http://www.insanedifficulty.com/board/index.php?/forum/133-final-fantasy-vi-brave-new-world/
Good, cause it was so idiotic that this bear of a character is a mage. It's cool if some of them do magic damage, but as long as they're based on stats that aren't idiotic for a burly martial artist it's all cool.

Speaking of Final Fantasy, I FINALLY took the time to get to farm out pink tails in FF4 and jeez it was frustrating.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
I'll fight this boss before I call it a night, he says. 3 man party? No problem he says. I'll take the little girl, the old man, and the lowest level he says. It'll be fine he says.

I'm ********.

I just had to solo a boss with a mage's physical attack while the other two members of the party tried to keep everyone alive. Took me two hours. You know what happened after that? Immediately launched into another boss fight. Luckily my mages offenses weren't TOTALLY MISALIGNED FOR THE JOB!!! Yeesh, that was painful.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I'd like to schedule a Saboteur session some time this week; I'm thinking this thursday at 21:00 GMT (+0:00). If only 1 or 2 people can, I'll change it (open to suggestions). I guess it'll be impossible to gather all 7 of us, due to time constraints, lack of motivation, etc. so I'm thinking in leaving some spots open to general players around the site. let me know your thoughts :O
Perfect date & time for me!

:059:

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
@BSL
@ Dooms Dooms
@ #HBC | Nabe #HBC | Nabe
@ Xivii Xivii
@ ~ Gheb ~ ~ Gheb ~
@ Handorin Handorin

I would also be in class at this time. :c

Maven89

Smash Master
So I checked out FTL

Why is this game so popular? I mean it's fun, but after a few hours I have zero desire to go back. I don't see why they force you to grind so much just to get some basic ships and they make you go in a linear progression. If I wanted to grind I'd go back to playing WoW, at least there I can talk to people

Rajam

Smash Champion
how long is a game commitment? if relatively short term id be interested in taking place for a sesh
Around 40 minutes according to the site. Best case scenario, 25 ~ 30 minutes if everything goes smooth. With beginners and/or slow play, it may take over 1 hour. So, 40 min +- 15 I'd say. Expect slightly more than 40 'cause it'll be the 1st saboteur game in the site for the majority

Last edited:

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
>blue mage
>crochety old man

pls dood

:186:
>be laundry
>theres literally a character covered in laundry
>be the old man instead

alternative stew version