• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

Maven89

Smash Master
I forgot Attack on Titan. That was also very good.

So are there any "hard boiled" anime's that don't have main weeabo's characters?

Also do people consider Yagami Light a weeabo character? Because he never struck me as such, though I'm not entirely sure what weeabo means outside of "generic anime character".

There has to be some awesome Yakuza anime, dealing with them and the police detectives, right? Non-lame characters chopping each other up with katana's and shooting people while dealing with police investigations would be awesome

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
I forgot Attack on Titan. That was also very good.

So are there any "hard boiled" anime's that don't have main weeabo's characters?

Also do people consider Yagami Light a weeabo character? Because he never struck me as such, though I'm not entirely sure what weeabo means outside of "generic anime character".

There has to be some awesome Yakuza anime, dealing with them and the police detectives, right? Non-lame characters chopping each other up with katana's and shooting people while dealing with police investigations would be awesome
pretty sure weeaboo can't refer to a character since it refers to a certain type of person tho

Maven89

Smash Master
These type of people are attracted to PTSD and bolivian army endings? I get the way the characters were drawn, but the plotline seems like an odd fit
I mean maybe i'm remembering it wrong but i'm pretty sure the idea of the show was the main audience would want to be the main character and take care of those two girls, and they're naked like all the time so the sexual connotation of that relationship is pretty clear.

I briefly looked up Lupin, and unfortunately it looks like a comedy. I'll just say I find Japanese humor very weird

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
y'all should watch spice and wolf
I used to love the anime so much...
then I started reading the books.....

the anime is so shallow compared to the books ;-; that said, SnW had like the best anime soundtrack ever by far.

Last edited:

Maven89

Smash Master
I've definitely seen the Wire. The Yakuza thing was jsut a guess, I was just wondering if there was an anime that's set in the modern day but has the tone of something like Attack on Titan, if not the bleakness (though bleakness is fine)

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Psycho Pass is bad though.
what made psycho pass bad? i thought season1 esp wasnt spectacular but i didnt think it was bad
I've definitely seen the Wire. The Yakuza thing was jsut a guess, I was just wondering if there was an anime that's set in the modern day but has the tone of something like Attack on Titan, if not the bleakness (though bleakness is fine)

u're gonna have trouble finding anime set in the modern day that isnt slice of life lol

Maven89

Smash Master
Lol I feel like a pompous asshole for keep adding to my suggestion.

But an anime that's serious like Attack on Titan, without a large amount of humor, without major female characters that act like toddlers (looking at you misa), without it being 600 episodes long. Action would be a plus because that's what i'm looking for but a serious drama would work. cats ears are a negative.

do anime's like that exist?

Cheerilee

Smash Ace
Kaiji sounds really good here. Or maybe Akagi. But the narrator and the view on human life might turn some people off .

Cheerilee

Smash Ace
Basically the Yakuza force people who are in debt to them to go through the Hunger Games against each other while forcing them further into debt, death, or slavery if they do not win. The games are all simple puzzles with a psychological slant like Liar Game.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Kaiji is definitely a good recommendation. I could recommend a lot of anime based on your description, do you want romance, or purely action, detective, episodic, fantasy, sci-fi, psychological, dark, happy, large cast, small cast etc?

Maven89

Smash Master
Kaiji is definitely a good recommendation. I could recommend a lot of anime based on your description, do you want romance, or purely action, detective, episodic, fantasy, sci-fi, psychological, dark, happy, large cast, small cast etc?
Something not too long, preferably not romance, action and detective sounds good. 30ish or less episodes would be preferred

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Durarara, Samurai Champloo, Eve no Jikan, Zetsuen no Tempest, Ping Pong: The Animation, Psycho Pass, Zankyou no Terror, Kaiji.

Look 'em up, some of them are risky suggestions.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Something not too long, preferably not romance, action and detective sounds good. 30ish or less episodes would be preferred
Kaiji literally has no romance in it, aside from going out of its way to dedicate the second ED to mocking it.

Also, the newest Jojo episode was crazy good. The production team literally contextualized that arc from the other end and then threw in an ED to finish it off.

Last edited:

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
I used to love the anime so much...
then I started reading the books.....

the anime is so shallow compared to the books ;-; that said, SnW had like the best anime soundtrack ever by far.
clicked play and immediately thought this was the FF:Crystal Chronicles OST. all that oldy-timey instrumentation bizniz

i should finish watching spice and wolf eh

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
since this is the anime hour, anyone seen terror in resonance? basically it was recommended to me but i was like uhhh... im busy being lame? worth watching?

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
since this is the anime hour, anyone seen terror in resonance? basically it was recommended to me but i was like uhhh... im busy being lame? worth watching?
actually recommended it just 5 post ago actually (zankyou no terror). it was a great show though its not overwhelming in any way. gotta like the kind of story it tells

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I mean maybe i'm remembering it wrong but i'm pretty sure the idea of the show was the main audience would want to be the main character and take care of those two girls, and they're naked like all the time so the sexual connotation of that relationship is pretty clear.

I briefly looked up Lupin, and unfortunately it looks like a comedy. I'll just say I find Japanese humor very weird
I mean I guess, but it seems like a clear genre subversion.

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
If you guys are talking about Elfen Lied, then it's pretty par the course for horror/shock. **** and gore everywhere. Don't know how anyone could related to being the main character, I certainly would not want to be around things that kill at the slightest hint of anger regardless of how naked they are.

Last edited:
Top Bottom