• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

Kantrip

Kantplay
we can allow them to go up to 13 but i also dont think theres a problem with hosting non-swingy games outside the newbie queue and 7-player games are the perfect number (using something simple like gorfs mini setup)

Kantrip

Kantplay
i fail to see whats wrong with all of the essential resources for a room being stickied for easy access

one is a standard ruleset
one is the queue for normal games
one is the welcome to DGames/introduce yourself/social thread
one is an archive of all past games

those are all pretty necessary imo. maybe not the archive but thats just a QOL thing. the general discussion thread also doesnt have to be a sticky (it isnt now) but considering its what newbies come to anyways it may as well be pinned at the top and make the place look welcoming

we thuggin

marshy|Sold2
id rather hash out the ruleset in the meta discussion then place it in the op of a queue thread

i would want to see how receptive ****** are to an introduction thread b4 doing that. im askin myself 'wuld such a thread make the room better?' n an answer is eluding me without seeing it in action. i kno of rooms that hav something similar but lose relevance as no 1 actually reads it. also seems a bit redundant with the player stat **** and im pretty ambivalent about stickying the social

gotta think more about this b4 arguing how many stickies are live. there are plenty of ideas but they need to be narrowed down

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
Well if we are still discussing these things, may we should make (a) make a new thread to discuss these things or (b) make the new social/welcome thread and continue to discuss changes here.

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
id rather hash out the ruleset in the meta discussion then place it in the op of a queue thread

i would want to see how receptive *****s are to an introduction thread b4 doing that. im askin myself 'wuld such a thread make the room better?' n an answer is eluding me without seeing it in action. i kno of rooms that hav something similar but lose relevance as no 1 actually reads it. also seems a bit redundant with the player stat **** and im pretty ambivalent about stickying the social

gotta think more about this b4 arguing how many stickies are live. there are plenty of ideas but they need to be narrowed down
bump the old picture thread, use that as the introduction thread

:186:

JeXs

Smash Champion
I'm like somewhere slightly below or above 100. Idk I don't use lbs

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
@ we thuggin we thuggin

Here is a view of Kantrip's suggestion more or less:

Doesn't look bad to me, though shortening some of the titles may make it look less cluttery. In this way the Introduction & Guide thread will stand out, being it is the longest:

If you're set on keeping the number of stickies to less than or equal to 3, my 2 pesos would be to simply have a bunch of free floating threads all connected to a single stickied index. In this way the three stickied threads would be:

• The Queue
  • The Social
  • The Index
The OP of the Index Thread would be as follows:

Welcome! Here you will find a comprehensive list of all the important threads. If you ever have difficulty finding something, just look here!

Decisive Games Index

Introduction & Social Thread
New to Decisive Games? Introduce yourself and get to know fellow Dgamers!

Normal Game Queue
Sign up for a simple game of mafia. A great place for beginners to start playing.

The Game Archive
A chronological list of all the games (Mafia, Adventure, and Other) that have been hosted in the Decisive Games Forum.

Mafia Player Records
An alphabetized record of all the games any player has every played, along with their wins and losses for each game!

Metagame Discussion Thread
Mafia strategy and game theory discussion.

Dgames Picture Thread
Post a photo of yourself!

Dgames Interview Thread
Interview your favorite Dgamers! Includes an archive of past interviews!

Writing Center
Contribute to an ongoing Decisive Game Story.

This one mayhaps be even more user-friendly:
Beginner

Introduction & Social Thread
New to Decisive Games? Introduce yourself and get to know fellow Dgamers!

Normal Game Queue
Sign up for a simple game of mafia. A great place for beginners to start playing.

Records

The Game Archive
A chronological list of all the games (Mafia, Adventure, and Other) that have been hosted in the Decisive Games Forum.

Mafia Player Records
An alphabetized record of all the games any player has every played, a long with their wins and losses for each game!

Community

Metagame Discussion Thread
Mafia strategy and game theory discussion.

Dgames Picture Thread
Post a photo of yourself!

Dgames Interview Thread
Interview your favorite Dgamers! Includes an archive of past interviews!

Writing Center
Contribute to an ongoing Decisive Game Story.
Heck if you wanted to you could even unsticky the other two threads and leave the index as the sole stick. In my opinion the other two should be left up though for the sake of one-click access.

As for the OPs of the Queue and Social Thread, I'd say simply have them as follows:

First Post of Social:

Welcome to DGames: The most swaggin room on the internet!

Beginner's Guide

I am new to dgames, what is this place?

Decisive Games, also known as Dgames, is the Smash World Forums sub-forum for strategy-based forum games. The most prominent game played in Dgames is Mafia.

What is Mafia?

In a nutshell, mafia is a strategic party game of deception, motives, and deductive reasoning.

For a general overview, check out this flash tutorial!
Mafia consists of two sides: the Mafia, and the Town. The Mafia's goal is to kill the innocents, while the Town's goal is to kill the Mafia. At the beginning of the game, the Moderator will secretly send everyone their role. The Mafia will know who each other are, while (in the basic game) everyone else will only know their own role.

The game has two phases. Usually the first is Day. During Day, the Town must choose someone to Lynch; they are trying to eliminate the Mafia, but the Mafia can lead them astray by casting suspicion elsewhere. Generally, players will vote for someone they think is Mafia (the Mafia will also vote so that they seem to be doing this as well, and might even vote for each other to confuse the Town). When a player gets a majority of the votes, they are lynched. Their role is revealed by the Moderator, and it becomes Night. During Night, the Town can not communicate, but the Mafia can discuss the game outside of thread and choose someone to murder. After the Moderator has received the name of the victim, the Moderator reveals the dead player, and next Day begins.

The game alternates between Day and Night until either all the Mafia are eliminated, or the Mafia have gained numerical parity or superiority to the town.

I want to play mafia! How do I join a game!?

Awesome!

We encourage - but do not require - new players to complete a beginner game before they move onto the big leagues. Just head on there and "/in" to join the next oncoming game.

To join any other game, simply find a thread that is accepting sign-ups and "/in". Game hosts are free to decline applicants within reasonable limits. Most hosts would ask that a user has played a beginner game before joining. Each game has their own set-up and specific rules so be sure to read the OP before joining! The general ruleset for Dgames mafia can be found here.

How do I host my own mafia game?

Any user can host a mafia game (or any other strategic game) at any time. To host a game, simply make a thread including:

• The Flavor (theme) of the game.
  • The Specific Rules for the game.
  • The Amount of Players for the game.

If you'd like help creating a mafia game setup, just ask here in the social! There are plenty who are be willing to help. A complete guide to creating mafia setups is coming soon.

How do I join/host games other than mafia?

Each game has their own rules so just check the OP of individual game threads for information on joining and playing. Hosting other games works the same way as hosting a mafia game. If you have a strategic game you would like to run, feel free to post it! Types of games that have been hosted in the past include Detective, Choose Your Own Adventure games, Role Playing games, Riddle games, and more!

Feel free to ask any further questions about mafia or decisive games here in the social; and please feel free to introduce yourself!
Second post of social:
Player Profiles "Who's Who"

OP of the Queue thread:
This is the sign-up thread for beginner games, though you don't have to be a beginner to join. Maybe you just like things simple? Either way: New or old, we have basic setups for you all year round.

To join a game, post "/in" or "/in game". You will be added to the next game and the game host will inform you when it is time to begin.

If you're new to mafia or decisive games, be sure to check out this thread and introduce yourself!

Currently Accepting Sign-ups

Laundry's UPicky
7.​

Game Queue
Host: Chaco
Host: Open

Want to host a beginner's game? Post "/in to host" to be added to the queue.

The standard rule set thing could be the second post of the queue, a separate thread and added to the index, or as a collapsed section of the beginner's guide. The first option seems the best placement to me.

Last edited:

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
I REALLY like the look of the image Zen crafted for what it is worth. That orange is nice too. Daaaaaaaaaamn.

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
[collapse= More boring stuff on dgames 2.0]
  • I don't think you need to sticky the social thread. It's pretty lively as a rule and if it did ever die it would deserve to.
  • If we restarted the social thread say, every year, its first post would be a great place for a who's who in dgames.
  • I think the main benefit of a who's who page would just be explaining player's different names and whether they actually play.
  • Personally I don't want any mafia rules in the social thread. I'd rather the beginners guide etc stick in the mini queue.
  • We can probably kill the 'shake things up' thread at some point.
[/collapse]

Last edited:

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
lovin how this post was liked all by *****s outside the states (didnt hando spend some years living in germany or something? he dont count either)

if its not american its not sensible
I just liked it because screw the imperial system, I'm an engineer

Also fun fact, metric is the official system of measurement in the US

Last edited:

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
the system we use is pretty goddamn stupid, most people don't even know how it works. Like, can you tell me how many ounces are in a gallon, without looking it up? Some people might know, but I bet some of you don't, and the fact that it's a weird number makes it harder to figure out. The metric system just adds or subtracts zeros when changing units. Little tiny babies can figure out how to convert stuff.

Kantrip

Kantplay
[collapse= More boring stuff on dgames 2.0]
  • I don't think you need to sticky the social thread. It's pretty lively as a rule and if it did ever die it would deserve to.
  • If we restarted the social thread say, every year, its first post would be a great place for a who's who in dgames.
  • I think the main benefit of a who's who page would just be explaining player's different names and whether they actually play.
  • Personally I don't want any mafia rules in the social thread. I'd rather the beginners guide etc stick in the mini queue.
[/collapse]
If the Social Thread also doubles as our Newbie Directory/Introduce Yourself thread then I think it should be stickied. Its not a matter of it dying and getting buried but rather that, if we want it to be the first place people go, it should be a stickied thread.

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
If the Social Thread also doubles as our Newbie Directory/Introduce Yourself thread then I think it should be stickied. Its not a matter of it dying and getting buried but rather that, if we want it to be the first place people go, it should be a stickied thread.
I don't see what's wrong with the current system where we have a newbie thread for signups that invites players to post in the social thread, and a social thread without any mafia-related clutter.

Fandangox

Smash Lord
I think at one point having too many different threads with each having its own very specific purpose is gonna be counter intuitive because you will be dividing the activity into all of them. Although it should be helpful just for organizational and recording purposes.

Not exactly sure we need a "who's who" section either. I mean its fun for trivia and whatnot, but I don't really see the use.

#HBC | Nabe

Beneath it all, he had H-cups all along
Can't breathe, but the view is equal to the taste
+1

we thuggin

marshy|Sold2
agreed @ the sentiments of the social bein active enough that stickying it is redundant

combed over it n i like what im seein. i think we should do this

2 stickies with the first as the queue. i LIKE the idea of 12-13 man games always having a place there but if its going to be used as a tool to introduce new ****** to playing in this environment i like it staying as 7 man better. ive noticed that when a new player hops in a mini that regulars will join the game so theres not a long wait after that new guy joins so the game can start. tho id def prefer a bigger size setup bein the norm im concerned that 12/13 would stall to the point that your average noob would get bored and stop checking (like when we had the queue and games would start a month after the fact with people saying "oh **** i forgot this was a game i joined") the board. i wanna reel em in quick and i think the minisve done a good job of that. tho if someone can convince me the other way im all ears cuz yeah 12/13 man games are the ****. im just tryna do whats noob friendly. the op will be that beginners guide **** also incorporating the lets shake things up post to it so people understand how to host. the second post can be the queue. i think thats how it is now actually

im not enthusiastic about a whos who thread on further thought. it seems too circle jerk slapping each others ***** n i dont see it adding much to the room. if some1 wants to do it for the **** of it then knock yourself out but id rather not sticky it. an INTRODUCTION thread however i think is better but still unnecessary. ive noticed that when noobs join a mini that players will banter with them in the mini thread and do a decent job of getting them acquainted to **** once the game kicks off. i know that when i play games on other sites i usually just join a game and post nowhere else. after i get acquainted with the players in the game THEN i might become interested in the social aspects of the room. basically what im tryna say is that the environment offered both in the mini queue and the mini games should be welcoming. i just saw gorf ask taco/mac to play somewhat like ics in the mini game due to new players and i think thats the kind of attitude thatll encourage ****** to dip the tip of their shoe in the water (not toe cuz they might be wearing flip flops in that scenario and i find that unacceptable)

the index thread i like a lot. an idea is to call it the dgames compendium. itd include a standard ruleset (not sure how important this is. i figured it was an unwritten rule that there was a loose guideline for rules that ****** modify but i suppose a quick point of reference is fine) in spoilers in the op with links to the archive/player records/metagame discussions. those are chosen cuz those threads tend to go inactive (the salt factorys active now but i imagine itll lull with the occasional question in time) but are still relevant to our status as a room and are useful. i guess we could link the picture/interview thread too? i like zens second idea of dividing it by social/game related/noob ****. this means both the archive n lets shake things up thread are not stickied. im still rolling around exactly how best to organize all this **** but this is what im vibin now

Kantrip

Kantplay
I can dig that actually.

One thread containing standard mafia rules, past games, etc and also a place to discuss mafia in general. (Merge salt factory with archive and throw other stuff in. Could have links to any other helpful threads including queue, interviews, etc)

One thread for the Basic Game Queue for newbie friendly games which would double as an introduce yourself/newbie guide thread. Throw a link to the wiki page for commonly used acronyms, an explanation of the game, and other newbie resources. Lay out how hosting works and the rules of DGames as a room here.

2 stickied threads. Social stays unstickied

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Repede is cool because he's a mother****ing dog who smokes a mother****ing pipe. He also has an eyepatch, and fights with a sword, like wtf? Did Yuri teach his dog to use a sword and smoke a pipe? That's pretty wild.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
On the Tales of subject, goddamn the end of Tales of Graces is bordering on insanity. I still have all my all-divides and I'm staring down the barrel of Zhonecage and Lineage and Legacies. I can't even consistently handle the random encounters in the final dungeon though. Chaos is that real ****.

Maven89

Smash Master
on the same subject (but not really), this is like the sixth time I tried to get into Dragon Age Origins. I like RPG's and like the setting, and really want to progress through the story, but goddamn is the combat just so ****ing boring. I can barely make it to the first real alliance quest, the furthest I got was the Cursed guy and his town, then to the mage tower where they suck you into that dream world and I just gave up because I was so bored.

Last edited:
Top Bottom