• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
Big fan of the first style. Wouldn't mind using that, so I can rep the #HBC without having anything in my username

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
If you guys don't mind my advertising, I got a tank top designed and put on Teespring.

Can't link it directly because there's profanity in the link. Also, there's profanity on the shirt. But you should all buy them and we can squad up at Apex2015 in uniform.

http://tinyurl.com/FNerds

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
I am very glad that exactly what I thought would happen did happen and that those people who only hosted because they could stopped doing so.

That said, it is okay to put up game sign-ups while other games are ongoing. Let DGamers moderate themselves with joining and let games people don't want to join die.

I decided to only sign up for one mafia game and I'm dead in it now, goddammit. Someone give me mafia!

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I am very glad that exactly what I thought would happen did happen and that those people who only hosted because they could stopped doing so.

That said, it is okay to put up game sign-ups while other games are ongoing. Let DGamers moderate themselves with joining and let games people don't want to join die.

I decided to only sign up for one mafia game and I'm dead in it now, goddammit. Someone give me mafia!
Join my upick.

Also advertising to all join my upick mafia.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
I don't want to play a UPick though. It's pretty much the opposite of what I want to play because you don't make the setup until after the flavors. I want to play something inspired.

Orboknown

Smash Hero
I don't want to play a UPick though. It's pretty much the opposite of what I want to play because you don't make the setup until after the flavors. I want to play something inspired.
I like upicks every once in awhile, they usually end up having some interesting roles to mess with. But i defs prefer a solid setup a la things you or os put out

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC

Join my game, fool

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
Starting to think I should scrap it given no one wants to sign up for it at this rate.
It's not as if literally no-one wants to sign up for it. I want to play Upick :)

Have you thought about slashing the playercount? I know it's only 13 atm, but still. Failing that, you could always try running it again at a later date.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
It's not as if literally no-one wants to sign up for it. I want to play Upick :)

Have you thought about slashing the playercount? I know it's only 13 atm, but still. Failing that, you could always try running it again at a later date.
I have, though my issue is that it would ruin what I could or couldn't put in.

I'm still considering it though.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Secret formula to interesting power role games

1 to 2 red herrings that cause a social stir and aid mafia in that it causes a distraction or gives them a safe opportunity to play townie and "save" the red herring player. Most good red herrings come into play on day one, although having obvious night action red herrings that occur on day 2 is good as well. Mafia members can be red herrings as well -- this is especially useful when mafia is powerful and you want to put one of them in the spotlight.

all mafia roles are spiderwebbed to each other in a minor-major-major or minor-minor-major from any vantage point. If more/less than 3, add or remove a minor. If you have a role that can kill if they know a characer name and a player that can discover a name at night, that's a "major". If you have a role that explodes and kills himself and the player he visited and a role that can save one player from self-destruction while still letting the other die, that's a "major". If you have a role that can kill and another that can bus, that's a "minor". If you have a role that can roleblock and a role that can duplicate actions onto another player, that's a "minor".

If mafia can ever kill more than three people in a game at once without a fault from town (not including poor night action choices like duplicating a mafia kill or some ish), mafia roles should typically have a major-major-major or in some cases a minor-major-major comparison so that the loss of one member severely degrades their abilities. An example would be a three man mafia team that has someone that can douse a player in gasoline once per night, another that can light all doused players but can only do so once during the game, and another that can choose to back up only one player and copy their ability at any point in the game. This gives them three methods of attack: Immediately copy the dousing ability of the other mafia member, thus allowing two to be doused per night... Save the copy ability until one of the mafia members die or the lighter uses their ability, as the death of the douser or the lighter would prevent the mafia kills from taking effect..... or copy a town player that has a useful ability and attempt to win in the day phase. This major-major-major and/or minor-major-major turns a broken mafia team (two headed arsonist that leaves no trail and suddenly kills 6 people on N3 on a whim) into a house of cards that forces mafia to constantly think "should we light early and just try to win via votes in the day phase? What if one of us dies? How should the copy go? WHAT DO WE DO?!".

all town roles are connected to at least 4 players directly in a minor-minor-major-counterpoint fashion. Example could be a town jailer that protects and roleblocks a player being a counterpoint to a mafia redirector that can also kill, a major interaction with someone whose role can be publicly proven in some way by being roleblocked or someone who needs to be protected (cop-esque roles), a minor interaction with someone who simply wants to use their role and can't when roleblocked, another minor interaction with someone who can't be affected by abilities (so cannot be protected).

If a town role has more than one counterpoint (e.g., town member that can check what actions a player uses) they need to either have additional major-minor-minor accompaniments or be self-limiting (one shot).

If a town role has more than one major (e.g., town member that can confirm alignment and thus confirm their abilities are truthful) they need to have an additional counterpoint-minor-minor or simply have two or three counterpoints (e.g., town cop that has a town roleblocker, mafia bus driver, town mass roleblocker) or, more reliably, be self-limiting (e.g., town cop that is forced to reveal his result each day but cannot be protected, can only use his cop ability when they don't vote, etc., etc.).

Major interactions result in "oh, duh, this is how we interact" engagements initially and result in a "oh ****, what now?!" process when they are broken.

Minor interactions result in a "oh, that's neat and is useful in this one situation at this time. We are clever!" engagements over the course of the game and result in slight changes in procedure but not in plans upon them breaking.

I don't follow the procedure above to the letter and break some of my rules sometimes when making games (especially FF Tactics), but if anyone wants to double check their own games its typically best to count the "major" and "counterpoint" interactions and then make sure they have the accompaniments required to not make it onesided and allow for thought.

I miss hosting mafia games. No time. www.spiffspacely.com <--- all day erry day. o_o

Overswarm

is laughing at you
All existing schemas, actions, and structures have fundamental rules that govern them. When you understand the fundamental rules, you understand their intent. You can then hypothesize optimal strategies based on these fundamental rules. Upon implementation you can study the interaction of the active agents and compare them to the original intent and your strategy's effectiveness.

If you do everything right, you have done something optimal. You can then repeat these with no, or minor unimportant, variations for all eternity. You've probably already done this in your life with routine tasks such as walking up stairs, your daily check of websites, signing your signature, etc., but it is also true of complex tasks.

If you do something wrong, you are sub optimal and this can only be the case if you misunderstood a fundamental rule, misconstrued its intent, or did not create a strategy in line with the intent or rules. If this is the case, you have found one action that does not work and replace it with one that does.

Most successful people in life follow their own formula even if they don't have it spelled out. Being able to spell it out implies some sort of understanding and helps improve upon your strategies if and when you fail in an attempt.

tl;dr

Take everything seriously. Excellence is a habit and a failed attempt at excellence in something frivolous is better than ignorant mediocrity for any reason.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
It would be inefficient. Improvement requires a personal choice and most people know enough to improve their life significantly -- it just requires a modicum of effort to do so and can be uncomfortable. Writing such a book would result in low sales due to a combination of no public knowledge of who I am (I have no clout outside of niche groups) and no actual impact due to people not actually wanting to improve.

Think of it this way:

Does the person who buys a guide book to life in any facet (workplace, socializing, relationships, happiness, etc.) exercise regularly?

Do they know they should?

So the only reason to make such a book would be to make money but I would make no money from doing so as I have no clout to convince others I am a reliable source of guidance.

If someone wants to pay me to do so though, I'd totally do that.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
To be fair, several of them are just reposting the "how to write essays" every december or april/may.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
I may get Dietz to send you the Blazblue set-up and get your opinion, @ Overswarm Overswarm , but I would like public critique, so I will probably just wait until it ends. You say a lot on mafia set-up rules that I agree with and attempting varying set-ups I'm learning more and more on how to do it better. It's entertaining and I didn't get into this side of it until recently.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352

I decided to lower the number.

If anyone has a suggestion for the number please let me know.

Top Bottom