• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
oh didn't realize bayo meant bayonetta :p

It's actually an interesting case where sexualization as empowerment might be legitimate given that she's sexualized aggressively as opposed to passively to the degree of objectifacation. heavy power fantasy elements essentially.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
oh didn't realize bayo meant bayonetta :p

It's actually an interesting case where sexualization as empowerment might be legitimate given that she's sexualized aggressively as opposed to passively to the degree of objectifacation. heavy power fantasy elements essentially.
it's a fine line to walk. I like that she at least seems to be in control of her sexuality most/all of the time, but I'm not such a fan of the way the camera seems to make a point of ogling her since she's not in control of that. There's a way to make a character sexual without exploiting that characteristic for the player's enjoyment, which I don't think is being attempted here, despite how assertive Bayonetta is. Seems like Platinum's trying to have their cake and eat it too.

#HBC | BadWolf

Crusader of Ponies
I'm fine with discussing anything. As long as it's a mature discussion without a feeling of attacking my lifestyle choices.

As long as that's met I'll be happy to discuss whatever you feel like in a good attitude without any problems.

Last edited:

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I think the intention is transfer the design principals of male protagonists to a female protagonist and take it up to 11, not sure if it fully accomplishes it, but it's an interesting case.

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
how come a thread that isnt mafia about badwolf losing his lid for the 800th time has more activity and content than most mafia games played recently?

Last edited:

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
i skimmed it much like i skim most mafia games and i saw badwolf getting upset about something and assumed the centralized idea was him either

a) being slandered without good reason and overreacting
b) people exemplifying that they're overly hostile over nothing

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
it's a fine line to walk. I like that she at least seems to be in control of her sexuality most/all of the time, but I'm not such a fan of the way the camera seems to make a point of ogling her since she's not in control of that. There's a way to make a character sexual without exploiting that characteristic for the player's enjoyment, which I don't think is being attempted here, despite how assertive Bayonetta is. Seems like Platinum's trying to have their cake and eat it too.
I think it's a better female character than the typical kinda wet blanket / woman in distress / token female. Having a woman who's a strong independent protagonist is like, great.

That being said, her character design and the way she's portrayed by the camera is arguably very sexist, in the sense that she's just there to be ogled at. I think there's a line somewhere between "being sexy because I want to and can" and "dressing and acting to appeal to men" which bayonetta probably crosses, but I don't really know where that line is.

Personally from playing the first game, I found the camera angles and stuff to be funny more than anything. Bayo's whole character is ridiculous, the game is ridiculous, she's not meant to be a realistic role model or anything. I imagine that doesn't excuse the kinda perviness of it, but since it doesn't really bother me I kinda want to ask a female friend about it.

also, Bayou

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
That's just why it got closed.

Also, the gorf trolling is too much, that exchange was >_<
dude the pony thing is real. like i think even circus can concede its ****ing weird (what will it be? social justice warrior for ponies or social justice warrior for prepubescent girls?)

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
dude the pony thing is real. like i think even circus can concede its ****ing weird (what will it be? social justice warrior for ponies or social justice warrior for prepubescent girls?)
Why are you asking Badwolf to have an "open and mature conversation" about this and then follow it up with stuff like this? Why were you even bringing it up again? You just need to stop, dude.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Damnit gorf, if you're not trolling, you're a ****ing idiot.

There's a good reason it resonates with college age people and it has absolutely nothing to do with why it resonates with little girls. I don't particularly like the show but the appeal is incredibly easy to understand.

You know who writes it? Lauren Faust. You know what else she did? Foster's home for imaginary friends, the powerpuff girls, the iron giant, in other words a lot of really pivotal cartoons for those of us growing up around the 2000s.

Now, you might get why, but to make it clear, it was written in a similar style to those shows, a style not really done in more recent cartoons, a style that was popular in the 2000s and 90s.

Yep, college age people like this show because of NOSTALGA.

Now, I get it, you don't like it, but creepy isn't remotely appropriate for describing a piece of media that at this point is explicitly written to appeal to both college age kids and little girls, even if initially it was a nostalga accident due to it being written in the same way and the shows of the 90s and 2000s. Little girls don't appreciate John Delancy playing basically Q, or "Doctor Hooves" making an appearance, many ostensibly children's media is written to appeal to multiple audiences, disney does this especially.

Regardless, why would enjoying children's media cause uneasieness or fear, some of it is well written. If you think it's creepy that's on YOU, you're judging people based on something completely irrelevant.

For the record, I disliked the show on core principal but was convinced to watch it by a friend, I found it alright, nothing truly special. If I wanted my nostalga fix, I'd probably just watch animaniacs, or freakazoid, or powerpuff girls. At the same time, I find "creepy" an idiot senseless criticism that just closed any discussion on the merits of the show. It's an intellectually vapid criticism.

I did for example, really enjoy frozen and you can make the exact same vapid meaningless criticism.

Last edited:

Maven89

Smash Master
Nah.

I mean I don't hold it against people, but it's without a doubt weird for a grown man to like a show about little magical ponies. Doesn't mean they're creepy or pedos, but it's definitely weird. You can't compare it with something like Frozen because outside of being aimed at children there's no similarities.

It's strange. I like some strange **** too, but I'm not going to argue that it's normal. It is weird. Just accept it and move on

"Let me give you some advice, *******: Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you " - Tyrion Lannister

Last edited:

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Nah.

I mean I don't hold it against people, but it's without a doubt weird for a grown man to like a show about little magical ponies. Doesn't mean they're creepy or pedos, but it's definitely weird. You can't compare it with something like Frozen because outside of being aimed at children there's no similarities.

It's strange. I like some strange **** too, but I'm not going to argue that it's normal. It is weird. Just accept it and move on
"Let me give you some advice, *******: Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you " - Tyrion Lannister
ITts unusual but arguing that it's wierd... in a set of generations obsessed with childhood nostalga, a lot of people from this generation are obsessed with this because of the nostalga it brings to them, weird? I think that's an overstatement.

Cool, it's magical ponies, I could make media aimed at any audience using pretty much any subject matter, and it IS aimed at capitalizing on the nostalgia of people in their 20s in addition to little girls.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
people are entitled to like whatever they want for whatever reason...i don't get why you guys (gorf, maven) are pointing out that it's weird if not to try and alienate his interests (which aren't actually infringing on anyone's rights, opportunities, breaking laws, etc.) aka being buttheads

he's not even soliciting MLP outside of having his avatar as a pony. lol

i'm not trying to white knight badwolf but you guys are being incredibly dense, specifically gorf

which reminds me, fun fact: i think smoking and doing drugs is ****ing ********, and i'm sure there are other people who also feel this way or at least relatively the same about drugs that haven't actually said so publicly. but despite this, we haven't said anything to gorf, who actually is an avid proponent of drugs because we all know deep down that:

1. it's not hurting anyone for gorf to express his interests in tree on this public domain
2. gorf is entitled to like whatever he wants
3. he's not breaking any laws, only publicly expressing interest in getting toasty.

i'm not giving anymore lessons in general etiquette for the day, but srsly, ppl pls, stahp

Last edited:

Maven89

Smash Master
people are entitled to like whatever they want for whatever reason...i don't get why you guys (gorf, maven) are pointing out that it's weird if not to try and alienate his interests (which aren't actually infringing on anyone's rights, opportunities, breaking laws, etc.) aka being buttheads

he's not even soliciting MLP outside of having his avatar as a pony. lol

i'm not trying to white knight badwolf but you guys are being incredibly dense, specifically gorf

which reminds me, fun fact: i think smoking and doing drugs is ****ing ********, and i'm sure there are other people who also feel this way or at least relatively the same about drugs that haven't actually said so publicly. but despite this, we haven't said anything to gorf, who actually is an avid proponent of drugs because we all know deep down that:

1. it's not hurting anyone for gorf to express his interests in tree on this public domain
2. gorf is entitled to like whatever he wants
3. he's not breaking any laws, only publicly expressing interest in getting toasty.

i'm not giving anymore lessons in general etiquette for the day, but srsly, ppl pls, stahp
i was just saying i think it's alright to rib on the guy for it, same way i assume people can rib on gorf and say he's lives in a commune and doesn't bathe or whatever. difference between actually insulting a person and ribbing them for it.

Do you want me to actually tell you guys why I watch the show?

not really

Last edited:

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
Nah.

You know nothing Jon Snow.

It absolutely can be compared to Frozen. You're only making the distinction at ponies.
It isn't weird, it's outside of societal norms. Weird implies a negative, which it isn't.

There are weird people who watch the show, but the vast majority are not.
There are weird people in all aspects of life.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
Weird has negative connotation. As I said.

Basically you're implying negative without realizing it. Which is why you felt the need to distinguish it from Frozen.

Last edited:

BarDulL

Town Vampire
zzz

i think it's fine to rib people on things as long as you're cool with them i guess, but gorf's general lack of tact and empathy is typically well known throughout this forum (dgames specifically). :p

i mean that's the definition of weird
that is not the definition of weird. to say something is weird is to imply that something is unsettling or uncanny; to derive an emotion that puts you potentially at unease.

Last edited:

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Do you want me to actually tell you guys why I watch the show?
If you think it's relevant feel free, unlikely it matters though, because you're totally justified and it certainly doesn't hit the point of being weird on it's own.

i mean that's the definition of weird
Weird is hitting the point of unnatural, unsettling, or uncanny. It's decidedly negative as opposed to merely unusual.

You can't argue it's objectively weird since it doesn't fall that far out of social norms, if you think it's weird then YOU have a problem, not badwolf.

Maven89

Smash Master
Weird is hitting the point of unnatural, unsettling, or uncanny. It's decidedly negative as opposed to merely unusual.
that is not the definition of weird. to say something is weird is to imply that something is unsettling or uncanny; to derive an emotion that puts you potentially at unease.
i feel like yall are being dense, what's actions people do that are considered unnatural, unsettling or uncanny are defined by social standards.

You can't argue it's objectively weird since it doesn't fall that far out of social norms, if you think it's weird then YOU have a problem, not badwolf.
nah it definitely does. grown men are men, and it's really weird for a grown man to like a show for little girls, about ponies. that's definitely something you'd rib a friend over

#HBC | BadWolf

Crusader of Ponies
i feel like yall are being dense, what's actions people do that are considered unnatural, unsettling or uncanny are defined by social standards.

nah it definitely does. grown men are men, and it's really weird for a grown man to like a show for little girls, about ponies. that's definitely something you'd rib a friend over
Being weird is generally considered a negative thing, and the fact that you believe that there's a reason as to why it's weird is the problem as opposed to the definition of the word.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Yes and my thesis is that it's not far enough outside of the norm to his the point of being "weird", some people consider it weird, but that's their problem. It's a sliding scale and mlp isn't far enough along the scale.

It's something you can rib somebody over by the standards of this generation, not something that makes somebody unnatural or unsettling.

Also the fact that a show like this can explicitly appeal to grown men is a good indication of why traditional gender roles are bulls***.

Maven89

Smash Master
Being weird is generally considered a negative thing, and the fact that you believe that there's a reason as to why it's weird is the problem as opposed to the definition of the word.
i mean damn, you're not going to get society to agree that men watching shows for little girls is normal. i think having someone think it's weird but not give a **** is the best bronies can realistically hope for

It's something you can rib somebody over by the standards of this generation, not something that makes somebody unnatural or unsettling.
no man, that's a pretty global standard across all age groups. you act like in the future grown men watching little girls shows will be the norm, but that's just not true. people, overall, are just not like that. men aren't being forced into not watching MLP, they're not scared of watching it. 99% of men don't watch it because they don't want to watch it

maybe yall would be happier if i used the word "strange"? "outside social norm"? either is fine with me

edit: i just want to clarify that i don't care people watch it, i just think it's weird, and i don't think it's ridiculous for me to think it's weird. i actually think that's pretty damn normal

Last edited:
Top Bottom