• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DG Archive & MVPs

Status
Not open for further replies.

#HBC | Dancer

The nicest of the damned.
Also the fact that the SK got to forgo their NK pretty much handed scum the win, and this made me slightly peeved. Only slightly, though, cause town was already doing pretty badly, so it really was just coming one way or another.

Btw, the_guide was your other scumbuddy. Haven't seen that guy since.

vanderzant

Smash Journeyman
^ It actually could of been smart because he could of claimed Vig and gone uncounter-claimed. I think that was his plan, to start shooting really late (but he went inactive on Day 2 or 3 and we killed him N3 because we thought he was obvtown and didn't want him in LYLO). Uncompulsive SK is pretty rare (and it is usually assumed they are compulsive). This is all from memory and I could be wrong :/

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
I don't think anyone has posted this and it had been awhile since the game has ended...

I dont think there was an MVP for Bear and Fish 11.

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
Why does it feel like some of the newer players are playing for dice, rather than to win according to their wincon? As town, your objective is to find scum and rid them from the town. NOT to win dice. As scum, your objective is to outnumber all other factions. NOT to win dice. I personally can care less about dice. I don't need a postbit to tell me that I'm good at mafia, and neither do you guys. J, in my opinion, is quite a good player. He has NO dice. I definitely think that I'm a good player, but I don't have dice. It's just... off for me. It feels like your only direction to doing well is for dice. And if you're only doing it for dice you're doing it for the wrong reason. It's all about fun.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Nah, I want to win. I just haven't had many opportunities, with my last two games having died to inactivity or a situation which forced a replacing out.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
Haha I play just for fun, it'd be nice to have dice but meh does it really matter?

I still play the same, I still have good times with friends playing mafia, and I enjoy the playstyle I have. If it one day actually nets me my first dice then so be it, otherwise I am fine without it. I'm not that good of a player because I mess up so much especially when it is crucial and the mods of the games see that I have some improvement to do before I can be given an MVP dice and also there are better players out there during the games that are more deserving of dice. Newer players have just been ****** is all and there is no taking away from what they have done to earn those dice.

*shrug* That's just my take on it.

Radical Fiction

Ryker|Swiss
Why does it feel like some of the newer players are playing for dice, rather than to win according to their wincon? As town, your objective is to find scum and rid them from the town. NOT to win dice. As scum, your objective is to outnumber all other factions. NOT to win dice. I personally can care less about dice. I don't need a postbit to tell me that I'm good at mafia, and neither do you guys. J, in my opinion, is quite a good player. He has NO dice. I definitely think that I'm a good player, but I don't have dice. It's just... off for me. It feels like your only direction to doing well is for dice. And if you're only doing it for dice you're doing it for the wrong reason. It's all about fun.
If that's what you want to take out of the game, that's your prerogative. I'm not going to lie and say that playing to my win con takes precedence over having a **** ton of fun.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Well I play to win, and to have fun. Dice is just an extra reward if I ever did well. I want to get more dice, but that also motivates me to improve.

Sometimes I get lazy, and sometimes I just don't have the time. I hope I can do it right sometime though.

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
Ehh, its all about the wincon. If you have a choice to achieve your wincon by taking the easy way out and not playing amazing or you can pull some gambit and make it look spectacular if it works out, take the easy way out. If you play to win dice, and it gets in the way of your wincon (trying to be the hero), then you are playing wrong.

Other than that, its just a motivating accolade to strive for.

Swiss

Smash Lord
Ehh, its all about the wincon. If you have a choice to achieve your wincon by taking the easy way out and not playing amazing or you can pull some gambit and make it look spectacular if it works out, take the easy way out. If you play to win dice, and it gets in the way of your wincon (trying to be the hero), then you are playing wrong.

Other than that, its just a motivating accolade to strive for.
Dat fapan taught this kid well.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Nah I wouldn't want to take the easy way out. I feel bad. : [ I want to be in end game because of my play, not my role.

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
If you don't take the easy way out and you end up not achieving your wincon then you will feel worse and your team mates will hate you.

I also dont know what that last part means lol.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
If you are playing for self-preservation you are extremely playing wrong.

Yes, it's fun to be alive and playing and you think you can do the best by being alive but if your lynch brings about info and other things and you are just a VT or at the current time a useless PR then taking the death is a good thing sometimes.

I'm not saying for everyone to flail themselves at the gallows if they are town but honestly from what I have seen as of late to self-preservation or to win the dice by staying alive is ridiculous.

Actually I'm making a thread elaborating on some things I've noticed when I have the time and a break from my games.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
I wouldn't bother. A lot of people play to self preservation because they REALLY don't trust you to win it on your own. No one is aiming at dice by playing the game incorrectly. No one really gives a **** about getting MvP while they're in the middle of the game. The only time they care is after the game is over if they thought they played well.

#HBC | Gorf

I didn't mean to say that it's all about fun. Of course it's about playing to your win con. But if you let the drive of dice get in your way, than you're an idiot. And yes there are definitely unnamed people that play/played the game with the goal of getting dice.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
I wouldn't bother. A lot of people play to self preservation because they REALLY don't trust you to win it on your own. No one is aiming at dice by playing the game incorrectly. No one really gives a **** about getting MvP while they're in the middle of the game. The only time they care is after the game is over if they thought they played well.
My thingy has more then just that part and it goes into alot of things. Idk it's just somethings I wanna say/try ya know?

This thing just sparked me into wanting to do it more.

#HBC | Gorf

When people play a game for fun, they tend to wanna stick around. Sticking around isn't always the best thing for your wincon. Therefore, the game's not all about playing for fun.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
Dude 'course it's for fun, but you're not the only one in existance. It's like the democratic ideal for government: every one is free, but we exchange some of our freedom to protect other freedoms. If everyone could do what they wanted, there would be disorder which is just a limitation of our rights. Mafia is similar to that. We can have as much fun as we want so long as it does not make it unfun for others. If everyone just did what they wanted, the game would be a mess and not really fun at all.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
Your wincon is the ultimate goal. If you're not playing to that, then you're not playing the game. That's like joining a basketball team and never passing the ball to your teammates because you like to be the one to shoot the ball because it's fun. If your teammate is wide open for a shot, you should pass the ball, playing to win. That's the game.

Joker dude: "But shooting the ball is fun. If you're not holding the ball and having fun, why would you play?"

That's basically what you're saying.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
Zen's #310 for lyfe.

No but seriously he's right.

Obviously if you don't enjoy mafia, you probably shouldn't be playing. Even if someone for whatever reason doesn't enjoy the game, but decides to still play, no one is in any position to tell anyone else how they spend their free time playing games on the internet.

The point is though, yes, obvious mafia is supposed to provide players and hopefully the mod with some level of entertainment. That's why we play games, to entertain ourselves. However, that DOES NOT mean that every person's personal enjoyment is the most important factor in mafia. Far from it. We all agree to play together and establish certain rules both spoken and unspoken because we agree that mafia is entertaining, but it requires certain limitations on what can be done by individuals within the game in order to endure that it is entertaining for everyone playing to at least some degree, and that the actions of others can only minimally impact the ability of others to enjoy the game.

For example, I think it's pretty obvious that we agree here that people playing to their wincon makes the game more entertaining for everyone in games as a whole. However, any self centered ******* could think that mafia is OMG SO MUCH MORE FUN AND EXCITING if he claims his role on his first post of every game and expects the doctor or whoever to keep him alive as long as possible.

Sure, maybe that's how he has fun, but too bad, he plays like a ****ing ****** and ruins the game for everyone else. Thus, personal entertainment DOES NOT trump playing in accordance with what the community generally regards as acceptable play.

Long story short, having fun IS a priority, however it is not the be all, end all determining factor of how people should play mafia. Having such a viewpoint is distinctively immature and self centered, and comes dangerously close to contending something like "If one enjoys winning, one should only engage in activities one can win, because that's how one can have the most fun, and when playing games, OMG HAVING FUN IS MORE IMPORTANT THAT ANYTHING EVER ALL THE TIME."

tl;dr If you can't balance playing to win with having fun in any game, stop playing the game until you learn how or just stop forever.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Hmmm, I think it's pretty balanced to me. Like it's fun if you win. : D

Also, I'm not one to rely on pr's. That is why I'm for smalls (3-9), for basic roles. I would rather be a vt than a powerrole honestly. But roles are ok.

I just don't like having pr's all the time because then I have an excuse to live that much longer. If I were vt I'd be lynched.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Your wincon is the ultimate goal. If you're not playing to that, then you're not playing the game. That's like joining a basketball team and never passing the ball to your teammates because you like to be the one to shoot the ball because it's fun. If your teammate is wide open for a shot, you should pass the ball, playing to win. That's the game.

Joker dude: "But shooting the ball is fun. If you're not holding the ball and having fun, why would you play?"

That's basically what you're saying.
When playing to your WinCon becomes more important than having fun, go play Horse. What I'm getting at is that your playing the game because it's fun. When you're not in it for fun anymore, find something else.

And furthermore, if I'm 7 foot tall and way more coordinated than any of the chubby little kids in my basketball club, then it's playing to my wincon to hold the ball.

Beat!

Smash Master
Yeah, until you start playing with good players.

Also, a lot of people have the most fun when they're winning. Playing to their WinCon would be the most fun for them.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Yeah, until you start playing with good players.

Also, a lot of people have the most fun when they're winning. Playing to their WinCon would be the most fun for them.
This is true.

In terms of basketball, I would practice practice practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom