• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DFW Melee Thread! 10/20 Little Rock, 10/27 San Antonio

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
Great turnout? You had 30 people show up. When you run a 100 man tournament we'll talk. We had almost 30 for a house tournament over christmas break. And darkrain decided he didn't want to drive 6 hours for a 30 man tournament, and I wasn't going to do it alone.

My complaints about turnouts are mainly directed at Houston, since Austin rarely hosts tournaments. I'm tired of seeing all the effort I put forth with no return on my investment. I revolutionized my Peach play and now you have access to the most cutting edge style of Peach practice, and all I get is really good Ice Climber and Falcon practice. I drive hours around the metroplex trying to help people get better only to have them **** out and give up and not work towards improvement, and then these same people ***** about how no one ever plays in Dallas.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Was your house tournament Melee exclusive?

Also, 6 hours? lulz, it shouldn't take any more than about 4.5 to get from Fort Worth to Austin.
If I could guarantee attendance from AZ (not just interest), would that make you think differently?

You should also know that there are plenty of people in Austin looking to improve even if you haven't had success in DFW, including myself. We got 22 entrants for an impromptu Melee tourney at our first meeting, and a number of them were relatively new smashers very interested in improving.
Basically I'll reiterate, don't incriminate Austin for what Houston or DFW has done.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure I'll be riding out and bringing some of the AZ crew with me.
So far, AXE has shotgun in my car.
I talked with Nicknyte and he informed me he'll be riding back in my car.
So what I'm looking for now are 2 other people in the Phoenix area who are wanting to go to this..
I will handle the driving, all I ask is help with gas money to and from.

We're planning to come out a day early for practice/etc and then leave Saturday Night/Sunday Morning back to Arizona.

I'm hoping for this to be finalized by NEXT Saturday, no later.

If you are interested in riding out there with me, send me a PM on here, and I'll give you my number.
......mmk?

MT_

Smash Ace
I just want to chime in concerning the Dallas house tournament, but one of the main reasons it had such a high turnout was because it was during Christmas break. One of Houston's TYS's during Christmas break also had a high turnout (I think around 25 or so) with just Houstonians.

During the school year people are busy and can't always commit to going to tournaments. And most of the newer smash community are college students that have study priorities that WILL get in the way of tournaments from time to time.

We all have a common objective - to revive Texas melee. And it's because we love the game and would love to play other people in an active scene. It's just that real life gets in the way for a lot of us; I consider myself one of the more active/traveling players and I already think I am pushing my commitments a little bit. Maybe it's just a new school mindset? I dunno.

I think a lot of the newer players don't really know what it's like to travel for melee, and thus don't realize how fun and fulfilling it is to get out there, play the game you love, compete to the best of your ability, and improve your skills for the next time you go to compete.

I feel you though DoH. This revival is stupid difficult because of the way things are right now. I don't really know what to do except focus on one tournament at a time, and the next one coming is NSIC on April 23. The only way we'll see any revival is if we [/I]go out and play melee[/I]. Maybe we'll see a new mindset wash over the newer generation. We can only do our best and hope for the best.

Jake13

Smash Lord
I was gonna come in an holla about nsic... but that'd be beating a dead horse

Doh, at the 30 person house tourney like ten ppl were from houston, proving once again that houston travels and puts up.

You're the only one that goes anywhere from dallas. Get your crew together and get **** straight.

If you can't because of johns or whatnot, accept the fact that your city sucks outside of you, robbles and big blowjobs

:phone:

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
You had 5 people, 2 of which are from Austin and one of which lives in Cali part time.

Try again Jake. Also try getting people from your city to show up at your own tournaments before asking us to come.

Also Sean when are you free?

Jake13

Smash Lord
whatever lol still 1/6th the turnout.

and we get a decent 12-15 every time. not my fault we have so many events that htown peeps feel they can pick and choose which ones they want to go to

oooooooooohhhhhhh yeah that's right. throw a tournament

Penguin_ftw

Smash Apprentice
I want someone to practice with, but I don't have a car (and won't until the summer probably) so my options are pretty limited.

idk what to do

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
you gonna come the 23rd Sethlon?
you don't wanna miss the chance to fight AXE
I'd love too, but like I said, I have no car...and no one with one seems to be interested =/
can mewtwo be used to counterpick anyone in melee?

I mean, I do main jigglypuff but... lol just wondering.
Not really, hes a pretty bad character lol. He can do some mean stuff to the space animals, but they can do just as bad if not worse to him.

TuxingtonIII

Smash Apprentice
I want someone to practice with because I'm not getting any better playing my friends, but I don't have a car (and won't until the summer probably) so my options are pretty limited.

idk what to do
I'll prac w/ you... when I get there... in summer >.<

I'm probably going to go on some kind of crazy Smash crawl and play (and lose to) every single person in DFW

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
I'd love too, but like I said, I have no car...and no one with one seems to be interested =/
Doh hasn't actually said he's not coming, if he does I'm assuming Darkrain will too, you can hitch a ride with them.
But like I said, I see no reason for them not to come, it's not like they won't be getting any competition....

MT_

Smash Ace
I'm gonna throw one last plea here to get you guys to Austin this Saturday.

We here in Austin are really trying to get things going for melee. AZ, Houston, SA, are all coming. It would REALLY suck if AZ makes it to this tournament and we are lacking turnout from within our own state (which ALL of TX needs to step up with; not trying to incriminate Dallas for this, you guys have traveled the most; but we especially need you guys here this time!).

If anything, come because we all love to play melee. That's what these tournaments are all about anyway, right? I'm not gonna say anymore here, but all of Austin (and everyone else that attends) would really love to see you guys show up so we can play, compete, and have fun.

Hope to see you guys there.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
I have an 8-11 am staff meeting....so unless you guys want to start the tourney at like 2 I don't know if I can make it

Tirno

Smash Journeyman
Delaying the tournament (or starting doubles before singles) isn't out of the question, I think, especially if you would be bringing other Dallas players.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Considering the the time it takes anyways for everyone to show up, and to get everything set-up, starting after 2 is pretty reasonable.

Sybawave

Smash Ace
Doh can drive. It's a matter of Doh attending T.T I hate it when people call you out for stupid things like that lol decided to be the **** that does it this time xD <3

Awesome. So definitely looking forward to Dallas coming and saving Texas from getting ***** by AZ ^_^

I wouldn't doubt that we'd postpone the tournament for y'all. I hope Darkrain and Wobbles are free.

TuxingtonIII

Smash Apprentice
Huzzah! The first tourney I may be able to attend (and lose with my awesome noob skillz).

I'd be willing to consider attending if there's a group going

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
For the record I am not driving to Plano to taxi people to Austin.

Also don't start teams, that's my favorite event. Unless you just want to give me a bye to finals, because yeah

:phone:

Sybawave

Smash Ace
Thanks Doh, Rage, and Wobbles for coming to this.

Doh - Fun friendlies lol I wish there were more better Peaches here in Houston so I know how to play that much up more other than drill shine run away laser Usmash =P Watching your Peach dittos against Xelic wasn't bad either lol

Wobbles - I forgot you were even there. You just stayed at that one center TV the entire time lol Those ICs are too good still lol I actually though that Axe would win with Pikachu because of his Strong Usmash Dsmash and Uair. But you pulled out the win like it was nothing. Wish we could've played =/ I just realized while I was writing this that we didn't play at all.

Rage - Good **** lol I was watching your fights that were recorded lol Didn't know you had a Samus. We need to play next time.

I think that that was everyone from Dallas.

Top Bottom