• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DFW Brawl Thread: Batou Monthly, Feb 18th - Revolution 10, Mar 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

DallasPhat

Smash Master
Planking Gnes While He Watches Invincible Youth
My car pool is second guessing on going or not. We kinda think the turnouts going to be very poor at lee harris so we will probably decide on going tomorrow in the afternoon so UTDZac infinity, and foresaken contact me or something so we can decide on whats going.

EDIT: So my car decided not to go as the turnout looks poor. So UTDZac we advice you not to go and do friendlies at my place. SO Double the Pleasure Double the Phun is on this week.

mydadsacop123

Smash Apprentice
yes echo ill take u no worries
also ruddy YOURE A PHOTOSHOP WIZARD DAYUM!!! Im taking a photoshop class but im balls right now but hopefully ill be able to do that kinda stuff eventually

KingofTheSouth33

Smash Rookie
well i would go to ruddys if A. i knew what that was... and B. knew a little ahead of time.. i live in lubbock... and wasnt aware of this.... i would love to repp ness with ya but i cant this time.

*_Echo_*

Smash Journeyman
My car pool is second guessing on going or not. We kinda think the turnouts going to be very poor at lee harris so we will probably decide on going tomorrow in the afternoon so UTDZac infinity, and foresaken contact me or something so we can decide on whats going.

EDIT: So my car decided not to go as the turnout looks poor. So UTDZac we advice you not to go and do friendlies at my place. SO Double the Pleasure Double the Phun is on this week.
hmmm i might could go dont know what my mom would say though.

Foursaken

Smash Apprentice
Actually Zac, since the turnout looks poor, I've decided not to go. My seats free for anyone else who wants to attend, however, and that's assuming your still going.

I'll be a show at Andy's place then, followed by Rudy's the next day.

But just so everyone else is aware and doesn't have to look at through the thread...

DALLAS SMASHFEST THIS FRIDAY AT DPHAT'S PLACE. CHECK THE FRONT PAGE FOR INFO, WE WILL BE THERE! DPx2: Double the pleasure Double the Phun!

Date: TODAY. Every Friday (unless stated in the dallas thread)

Time: Registration at 6...Tourny starts at 7:30pm. People may come as early as 4:30pm.

Place: 1717 East Beltline. Apt #1024
Coppell, TX 75019
Call-214>536>1403

Brawl 1v1 and 2v2 tournament. $5 for both singles and teams (each person)

Rudementry

Smash Journeyman
Theres dphats this friday? Dang man, I wish I would've known, now I can't go. I though ya'll were all driving south tonight.

I have an important question for all knowledgeable people:

How do I get the tourney brackets program thingy-majigg, is it on some website for download or what?

What made you decide to make it on your laptop? You runnin without the PC? I would have used a Blade font if not that one. Swordmaster is one of my favs, too.
Blade? man thats waay too generic. I bet like 7/10 sigs have blade font. I'm sick of seeing it. The other 3/10 have Bleeding Cowboys :p. Sure it was cool my first couple of sigs around, but that was like years ago.
Yea I had to use my laptop because it was late at night, and if I had turned my computer on my mom would've most likely woken up. Its much brighter and in a very bad position. It also makes crazy loud noises when booting up. Swordmaster? never heard of it, I'll check it out next time I'm on dafont. I think the font I used was like, Ginga, I didn't like it though. I'm probably going to change to Visitor -BRK- and just do a nice simple cool lookin one. Visitor saves me again and again.

yes echo ill take u no worries
also ruddy YOURE A PHOTOSHOP WIZARD DAYUM!!! Im taking a photoshop class but im balls right now but hopefully ill be able to do that kinda stuff eventually
Thanks. All of my friends who are into graphics thinks my stuff is trash (most of the time). I'm not even going to show it to any of my friends. Photoshop class? I've never heard of such a thing. Use pixel2life(.com) and effectica(.com) to learn stuff. Look up basic photoshop signature on google or something. Tuts and messing around provides more knowledge than a photoshop class could ever offer. Once you get so much experience, you can use almost anything and be able to put it together into something cool lookin.

Edit: with Angel might not being able to come tomarrow, please if you were hesitant about bringing a set up, please bring one now. I would hate for there to only be 2 tvs.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Hmm I guess my car won't be going either (assuming that's ok with you infi~). I didn't really feel like driving the 4hr+ drive today, and again saturday night. But DPhat's sounds fun as well.

More Boss Battles!
More Big Giant Brawl!
More Melee! (Who wants some of this?)

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
I don't expect this to change anyone's mind, but there's something I need to get off my chest.

I don't know exactly what you guys expect from turnout, but even if the minimum amount of people came, do you realize that it would still be larger than most MD/VA tournaments? If you don't know what MD/VA is, it is the region where everyone lives who ***** us. If you are expecting HOBO levels of attendance, then go to HOBO. It's in the 3rd largest city in the ****ing country, of course there are going to be tons of pot fillers. It doesn't mean the competition will be any better. It seems funny that you guys prefer a ridiculously hot and packed venue with a **** run tournament and nothing else to do to an actually enjoyable tournament with stuff to do afterwords.

Most of you weren't around in the Melee days (hell, 98% of our Brawl scene wasn't around during the Melee days) but I see **** like this happen soooo much more than it used to. Why do you guys think that TX is seen as a joke to the rest of the country? We have tournaments like mine which are trying out new formats to improve the game and use a rule set constructed by the smartest and best players in the entire world, and yet you guys would rather drive to Houston to support a horribly run tournament with quite frankly one of the dumbest rule sets in the history of Smash (and Hylian and I had to convince him to change half his stuff already)!

Look at the MW and what they do for tournaments. They rent out cool venues and they run a circuit. People show up to the venue the night before and sleep there, hang out, play goofy ****, Smash, etc. Then they wake up and play, usually with side tournaments. Here the only thing anybody travels to is a poorly run tournament that drags on until after midnight and only has doubles/singles packed into one day.

DallasPhat

Smash Master
Dallas is a huge supporter of out of town events. Hell we were very excited about your tournament but you got to realize that if we are going to drive 4+ hours we are expecting a prize pool that will be decently sized. We are just skeptical that Dallas players will be playing Dallas players early in the tournament, if we wanted that we would just play with each other at Dallas. We were originally going to bring 4+ teams with us but we doubt that there will be even 20+ teams, thats including our 4 teams. We don't plan on going to a tournament 4 hours away only to see that 30, if not less, people show up. Hell my weekly alone draws around 20-25 people and I'm expecting more every week.

Lee Harris, all I'm saying is that Dallas believes the turnout will be poor, I even asked for a rough estimate but you couldn't even give me a value, you gave me wide ranges and made it seem like even you were doubting how many people would come. If you could guarantee 40 people then Dallas would be definitely going, but we don't even think you can guarantee that.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I've driven to Dallas twice for tournaments that didn't even have 10 people >_>.

Also, he's using the swiss system...and has been advertising the hell out of it.

Texas is spoiled by Brawl tournaments lol.

N.O.T.A.-SrsC@

Smash Apprentice
I think one of the biggest problems with comparing our region to Maryland and Virginia is that if you look at our state, it's the largest state in the continental U.S. We have to drive further to one of our bigger tournaments than they have to drive to get to three of theirs simply because our state is so large. That means that the Dallas crew spends a lot more gas getting everywhere and we really just want it to be worth our while to go anywhere. Gas, nowadays, is money and money is something that not everyone has a ton of.

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
Dallas is a huge supporter of out of town events. Hell we were very excited about your tournament but you got to realize that if we are going to drive 4+ hours we are expecting a prize pool that will be decently sized. We are just skeptical that Dallas players will be playing Dallas players early in the tournament, if we wanted that we would just play with each other at Dallas. We were originally going to bring 4+ teams with us but we doubt that there will be even 20+ teams, thats including our 4 teams. We don't plan on going to a tournament 4 hours away only to see that 30, if not less, people show up. Hell my weekly alone draws around 20-25 people and I'm expecting more every week.

Lee Harris, all I'm saying is that Dallas believes the turnout will be poor, I even asked for a rough estimate but you couldn't even give me a value, you gave me wide ranges and made it seem like even you were doubting how many people would come. If you could guarantee 40 people then Dallas would be definitely going, but we don't even think you can guarantee that.
You're not coming because of the prize pool? You guys genuinely are spoiled by the turnout and payout of Houston tournaments (which Dallas never wins anyway, except for d4ba placing in the money, so the prize pool can't be that important to you).

I'm not going to guarantee anything because there's never a way to estimate these things. FAST expected 400 and got under 200. HOBO11 expected 150-170 and got 112. It's stupid to try and guess attendance. You act like driving 4 hours is a huge burden on the five people in a car. The gas would cost each person under $10. Hell, I used to drive from Denton to New Braunfels every other weekend to hang out with friends and family. It's simple: if you guys want to travel for a fun tournament outside your region, then come.

I think one of the biggest problems with comparing our region to Maryland and Virginia is that if you look at our state, it's the largest state in the continental U.S. We have to drive further to one of our bigger tournaments than they have to drive to get to three of theirs simply because our state is so large. That means that the Dallas crew spends a lot more gas getting everywhere and we really just want it to be worth our while to go anywhere. Gas, nowadays, is money and money is something that not everyone has a ton of.
1. We aren't the largest state.
2. You are definitely exaggerating. Every other tournament, one state must travel to the other. They also put up with $30-$50 entrance fees. So with the entrance fee and their cost of traveling, they pay far more than we do per tournament. Add on top of that the fact that gas is cheap right now and each person would have to pay under $10 in gas, and it seems like you are just making excuses.
3. Look at regions like the WC. ****ing Washington players go to SoCal for tournaments. TX travel isn't **** compared to that.

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
You guys also don't realize that your lack of travel is a cause of all the big tournaments being hosted in Houston. You don't ever host anything worth traveling for, and when people host something worth traveling for you don't attend because it isn't optimum attendance. You keep attending Houston tournaments, which pumps up Houston and keeps their attendance high, causing them not to travel because they don't have to. It's a big circle of doodoo. Right now, Houston is the only place that gets travel and it's because we cause it. Add on top of that their horrible rule set and how poorly the tournaments are run, and we have a noob Smash community.

DallasPhat

Smash Master
I'm guessing you were expecting 10 dallas players to come and make your numbers bigger? All I asked for was how much was going to be in the pot (like your minimum guess), and how many people would come (once again your minimum guess). I don't care if you think guessing is ********, but you should know atleast the minimum amount to expect cause when Dallas says we are bringing 10 people, we are bringing 10 ****ing people. And once again you blow off the question I asked again and avoid answering it making Dallas even more skeptical of the numbers you will draw in.

Trust me Lee Harris, if you PM'ed me yesterday saying that you think a minimum of 40 people would be showing up Dallas would be attending and wouldn't give a **** that your guess was wrong. All I'm saying is a concrete number is better then a wide range you gave me from that PM saying that it can vary from 15-70 people. I was always taught to expect the worst and hope for the best and if 15 is the worst then it isn't really worth it for Dallas to show up.

Fogo

Smash Shinigami
I've driven to Dallas twice for tournaments that didn't even have 10 people >_>.
Don't complain, nobody told you to come to those tournaments, and even if they did it was your choice to make the trip.

You guys also don't realize that your lack of travel is a cause of all the big tournaments being hosted in Houston. You don't ever host anything worth traveling for, and when people host something worth traveling for you don't attend because it isn't optimum attendance.
Dude, chill. I think i only speak for myself when i say this, but my main reason for not going is lack of money. I would have loved to test your new system for both singles and doubles, even if the turnout was 10 people including us, but all i have in my pockets are change and lint. :(

You can't blame us for hobo being the biggest tournament string in texas, that's just the way it is right now, but maybe in the near future it'll be centex.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Whatever happened to going to tournaments for fun?

Just wondering...I mean San Angelo goes to everything and they are ****ing far. I also go to most things which are usually 3+ hours away. I enjoy tournaments :). It's nice to chill with people you don't see that often.

Look at my tournament. It was only 21 people(in my house lol) but it was fun as ****.

People should have fun :(.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
It's hard to have fun when you're broke. ;)

Alas, that is how the world works...money won't buy you happiness, but it makes everything a lot easier. <_<

DallasPhat

Smash Master
Alright Lee Harris just guarantee a prize pool of 40 people and Dallas will come. And remember this Dallas will bring atleast 8 people so thats 8 of the 40 people right there so all you got to do is guarantee that 30ish people will show up and Dallas won't even hesitate about going and if the pot is short, cover the rest Lee Harris. If you can do this Dallas will definitely bring ATLEAST 8 people this is a PROMISE.

And to all Dallas players if Lee Harris can promise this, I recommend that you come cause I can borrow a minivan and bring 7 people with me so gas will be super cheap.

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
I'm guessing you were expecting 10 dallas players to come and make your numbers bigger? All I asked for was how much was going to be in the pot (like your minimum guess), and how many people would come (once again your minimum guess). I don't care if you think guessing is ********, but you should know atleast the minimum amount to expect cause when Dallas says we are bringing 10 people, we are bringing 10 ****ing people. And once again you blow off the question I asked again and avoid answering it making Dallas even more skeptical of the numbers you will draw in.

Trust me Lee Harris, if you PM'ed me yesterday saying that you think a minimum of 40 people would be showing up Dallas would be attending and wouldn't give a **** that your guess was wrong. All I'm saying is a concrete number is better then a wide range you gave me from that PM saying that it can vary from 15-70 people. I was always taught to expect the worst and hope for the best and if 15 is the worst then it isn't really worth it for Dallas to show up.
Make my numbers bigger? I genuinely don't care about numbers at all. I just thought it would be fun to have at least one car full of Dallas players here so that we could get some diversity going. In fact, using the Swiss system, the less people there are at the tournament the better. That way, you get way more diversity and a much more accurate representation of skill (it's a complex system).

But apparently you'd rather me lie like Xyro and tell you exaggerated numbers when I really have no idea? Ok, there will be around 40 people, $400 pot for doubles, $200 pot for singles.

Dude, chill. I think i only speak for myself when i say this, but my main reason for not going is lack of money. I would have loved to test your new system for both singles and doubles, even if the turnout was 10 people including us, but all i have in my pockets are change and lint. :(
I understand completely. We're all broke sometimes :p

I'm just disappointed at how the TX community has become. We really are looked at by the rest of the country as being a joke, and it seems like every chance we get to prove our worth it all falls through for one of a million reasons.

You can't blame us for hobo being the biggest tournament string in texas, that's just the way it is right now, but maybe in the near future it'll be centex.
I'm not just blaming Dallas, I'm blaming everyone in TX, including Houston. People show up in huge numbers to support very poorly run tournaments in an area with tons of noobs. You would get the same exact competition if Dallas hosted a tournament, just less noobs.

And seriously, when did everyone become so concerned with the pot? Play to have fun, it's a game with Pokemon in it.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
1. Lee Harris
2. Hylian
3. PhantomX
4. JonBe
5. DMG
6-15. Dallas (10 players)

That is 15 players right there, go find 25 more.

I am looking forward to this, I would hate to miss a tourney just because not enough people were going.

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
Alright Lee Harris just guarantee a prize pool of 40 people and Dallas will come. And remember this Dallas will bring atleast 8 people so thats 8 of the 40 people right there so all you got to do is guarantee that 30ish people will show up and Dallas won't even hesitate about going and if the pot is short, cover the rest Lee Harris. If you can do this Dallas will definitely bring ATLEAST 8 people this is a PROMISE.
Yes, there will be 40 people. Bob Sagat will also be there and possibly strippers as well. I hear that the Hayabusa Ninja clan is interested too. ;)

But if the pot is short will I cover it? No :) I'll give you some beer though!

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Wow everyone thinks of Texas as a joke? Idk if you care or not, but look at this post. Well, it's part of a post that I posted on my region's main forum..

I think our region could use a lesson in terms of pride. That's the main thing we're missing that makes us so different from other regions. Man look at Texas. I envy them. Everytime one of their players does well in a tourney everyone knows it because Hylian lets everyone know on Smashboards. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT.

Here is the thread if anyone wants proof.

http://www.arena51.com/nuke/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=30774#30774

I'm just saying, I don't think you guys are a joke at all.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Why pee in a can when you can PEE IN HER BUTTHOLE? AMIRITE DPHAT? lol

Seriously though, let's start counting the number of people going. So far I have 19 confirmed with Bear and 3 other guys included.

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
San Antonio : car of at least 5 people

Austin : at least 5 people coming. Austin UT Smash club has my tournament on their home page and they said they will all be coming.

Dallas: 8-10 people coming.

College Station: 3 people coming

Houston: who knows

Local players: probably a minimum of 15.

San Angelo: 4 people coming

That's over 40 I guess?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
San Antonio : car of at least 5 people

Austin : at least 5 people coming. Austin UT Smash club has my tournament on their home page and they said they will all be coming.

Dallas: 8-10 people coming.

College Station: 3 people coming

Houston: who knows

Local players: probably a minimum of 15.

San Angelo: 4 people coming

That's over 40 I guess?
If we take away San Angelo (are they guaranteed to come?)and maybe some of the local players estimated, then we would be under 40... Idk how strong is the smash scene there? If it's like Waco or San Angelo then ur boned... No offense to Dojo and Santi :)

I would say though that it seems like those numbers are good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom