• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Deva's Brawl Link: Tourney Vids Up

ODIN787

Smash Journeyman
**** so many ppl r playin it..i refuse 2 b left behind
don't worry algandar ,i have a feeling that the ppl that were willing to wait for the us version of brawl will be greatly rewarded ,i don't know how but i just know,patience is a virtue .

btw Deva nice melee link combo video ,i can tell you are a good link user ,i would really get the chance to play against you on brawl thats for sure.

Deva

Smash Lord
Maybe the US version won't be the noob friendly piece of Crap that brawl is, lol jk. It's definately not as good as melee competetively, but its still fun and Link's better so I'm cool with it.

Tourney this saturday. Hopefully there'll be vids up after that.

Deva

Smash Lord
Well, Wavedashing was a big part of melee. Still, there are other factors. Mainly how noob friendly the game is.

1. Everyone is much floatier, making the game much slower unless slow paced fighting games appeal to the masses.
2. Everyone lives to ridiculously high percents even without good DI. With DI, characters can live well over 200%.
3. Everyone has slower jump frames, making short hoping relatively easy, though also adding to the slowness of the game.
4.No more l canceling, a lot of aerials have very little lag when landing but it doesn't matter since you can be grabed out of your aerial no matter what.
5. Power shielding is estremely easy to pull off. This isn't all that bad since it will separate the good players from the bad based on how well you can powershield since it still does take some timing. Only problem is there are no longer safe approaches since after a powershield, you can do anything. This might be the one thing that can keep Brawl relatively competative.
Auto sweet spot makes edge guarding nearly impossible unless you're Marth. Along with how floaty everyone is, Characters rarely , if ever die from not reaching the edge.
6. Almost no combos. The game won't be considered very competetive because of how few combos there are. You can jump out of almost any combo and even then, attacks send you too far to combo into regardless, unless your Marth or Young Link. Only decent combos I've found with Link are u-tilts into more u-tilts or u-smash. full hop nair to u-smash works, and claw shot to dash attack is a decent combo starter.

The game is more fun, and more balanced, I just don't see it getting sponsored by MLG or anything like that.

Bror

Smash Rookie
Well, Wavedashing was a big part of melee. Still, there are other factors. Mainly how noob friendly the game is.

1. Everyone is much floatier, making the game much slower unless slow paced fighting games appeal to the masses.
2. Everyone lives to ridiculously high percents even without good DI. With DI, characters can live well over 200%.
3. Everyone has slower jump frames, making short hoping relatively easy, though also adding to the slowness of the game.
4.No more l canceling, a lot of aerials have very little lag when landing but it doesn't matter since you can be grabed out of your aerial no matter what.
5. Power shielding is estremely easy to pull off. This isn't all that bad since it will separate the good players from the bad based on how well you can powershield since it still does take some timing. Only problem is there are no longer safe approaches since after a powershield, you can do anything. This might be the one thing that can keep Brawl relatively competative.
Auto sweet spot makes edge guarding nearly impossible unless you're Marth. Along with how floaty everyone is, Characters rarely , if ever die from not reaching the edge.
6. Almost no combos. The game won't be considered very competetive because of how few combos there are. You can jump out of almost any combo and even then, attacks send you too far to combo into regardless, unless your Marth or Young Link. Only decent combos I've found with Link are u-tilts into more u-tilts or u-smash. full hop nair to u-smash works, and claw shot to dash attack is a decent combo starter.

The game is more fun, and more balanced, I just don't see it getting sponsored by MLG or anything like that.
It could be, but the competitive scene will no doubt suffer in Brawl, if that's correct. People just loved the fast-paceing in Melee, but the slower pace in Brawl might bring some more new combos and techniques into the scene. It will just take time before we know the true answer.

Deva

Smash Lord
True, but at least as far as I've gone into the game, it's not looking that great, and trust me, I've been trying to find every way possible to make this game competetive. We even tried high gravity mode to make the game feel more like Melee. It was a lot better, cept that everyone's recoveries got nerfed hard to the point where characters, like Link, couldn't recover anymore.

Hypa-Link

Smash Journeyman
Yea from the Vids I've seen there's STILL hella techniques and strategies to keep this game forever competettive.

And sometimes those fast paced Melee matches, luck played in it, cuz after a minute of kick/punch, jump shield, roll, it all comes down to who'll eff up first.

GTR!

Smash Journeyman
deva....man

that was the closest to, if not a, acctual competative brawl match...you acctaully put hope back into me that link can still be awesome in brawl if in the right hands. Best vids ive seen hands down no joke. thanks man

i guess that melee link awesomeness just transfered over to brawl

Ogre_Deity_Link

Smash Lord
Um, WOW.

That was just...

I mean...

WOW. ****, that was THE best Brawl Link playing I've seen on this forum yet! Poor Metaknight, completely and utterly pwned.

At least Mario put up a fight.

Tatsujinken

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the videos. I found them to be rather interesting to watch because I was asking myself the whole time, "What would I do in that situation?" The types of attacks that you chose to perform and the way you fought your opponents ended up matching my predictions, so I guess I can see these videos as a sort of preview of myself playing Brawl which is pretty cool. :)

GTR!

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the videos. I found them to be rather interesting to watch because I was asking myself the whole time, "What would I do in that situation?" The types of attacks that you chose to perform and the way you fought your opponents ended up matching my predictions, so I guess I can see these videos as a sort of preview of myself playing Brawl which is pretty cool. :)
dont get ahead of yourself lol

VersatileBJN

Smash Ace
That video has inspired me to add Link to the roster of characters I want to become good with.

I think the whole Brawl not being competitive thing is just kind of an after shock of realizing Brawl is so different from Melee.

You can't look at me wit a straight face and tell me the videos I just witnessed weren't competitive and extremely noob friendly, Deva.

GOOD ****

errtu

Smash Apprentice

so u were expecting melee part2, tough luck. i think the game is great for all those reasons u stated. it´s floatier? that sounds like some awesome aerial fights. but hey that´s just me

mmmm
u were good but i just gotta say that it may have affected that the guy using mk was just about the worse i´ve seen man. mk in his hands looks like cr@p. gimpy´s is much better

NiRV7iQ

Smash Apprentice
Deva man, good ****. I noticed you using the bow a lot and hardly any bombs( I haven't watched one of your melee vids in quite some time and i can;t recall if you are a bomb fiend or not) was wondering what your take on Link's projectile game is. It seems to me that the speed of the bow, and the speed of the boomerang allow you to put continual pressure on an enemy without taking the time for a bomb pull. Thoughts?

Lunar6

Smash Journeyman
Nice use of arrows at the end of that second vs. Meta Knight video. I'm just impressed a lightweght like Meta Knight managed to maintain about 200+ damage.

Zoro

Smash Champion
Deva I love your link

I would love to play you (without gay lag)

I like how you use the bow
Your brawl link is just as good as your melee link
In melee I say I played very similarly to you but in brawl
we have very different play styles imo

Great vids Id like to see more

VersatileBJN

Smash Ace
I have a similar question as Errtu, Deva.

How do you feel about Link's bombs? I don't see you using it at all. Just mainly the boomerang and Arrow.

magnomanX

Smash Cadet
Man it looks like Eggz met his match. Deva you DEFINITELY know how to mindgame. I can't wait to challenge you online. Eggz needs better reflexes to reflect projectiles.

Deva

Smash Lord
Deva man, good ****. I noticed you using the bow a lot and hardly any bombs( I haven't watched one of your melee vids in quite some time and i can;t recall if you are a bomb fiend or not) was wondering what your take on Link's projectile game is. It seems to me that the speed of the bow, and the speed of the boomerang allow you to put continual pressure on an enemy without taking the time for a bomb pull. Thoughts?
VersatileBJN said:
I have a similar question as Errtu, Deva.

How do you feel about Link's bombs? I don't see you using it at all. Just mainly the boomerang and Arrow.
Alright, I probably should have added this in my reasons as to why Brawl will not be as competetive as melee, but catching projectiles in this game is waaaaayyy too easy. In melee, I used bombs all the time. In matches against Fox and Falco it was pretty much the only projectile I used since after pulling it, it had no lag after throwing it and I could attack right away. Fox was too fast for the rang while Falco shot lasers before the rang came out. Now in brawl, here's what happens: YOU CAN CATCH PROJECTILES WITH ANY MOVE!!!!!!, except b moves. So if you're Link with a bomb and throw it, there's a really good chance the opponent will catch it, even if it's by accident. now that wouldn't be all that bad since you can just as easily catch it back but for Link this creates problems. Because Link is spamming with b moves, he would have more trouble catching the bomb and would have to change his playstyle for a moment just to catch it, by which time it would probably blow up anyways. If you continue spamming it would still be a problem because the opponent would have less lag after throwing the bomb compared to the rang and bow meaning they would have a better chance of landing a hit if the projectiles weapon canceled. Over all, the bomb is just a hindrance in this game. Bow is a bit different, but essentially replaces the bomb. It has a bit more ending lag, but is much faster overall since you don't have to pull an arrow to use it lol. By keeping a rang out there with a continuous barrage of arrows, it's really hard for an opponent to approach Link. One thing I should also start doing more is the aerial hook shot for an attack since that's all it's good for now. As the opponent get's through, you can aerial hook shot to a dash attack for a combo starter and from there you can get whatever the closest things to combos there are in this game. I think the no lag thing on Link's hook shot was put in to make up for the fact that he can't cancel his dash-attack into an u-smash. I guess you could consider the hook shot a projectile, or a really long sword.

magnomanX said:
Man it looks like Eggz met his match. Deva you DEFINITELY know how to mindgame. I can't wait to challenge you online. Eggz needs better reflexes to reflect projectiles.
Nah, Eggz just needs more time with the game. I've played a few more times than he had. Also, I'm pretty sure you can't reflect projectiles any more with power shielding. He should have been using the cape more but he was still trying to use him like melee Mario and using the cape in that game was near useless so he didn't think too much of it.

Thanks for the comments though, everyone. I appreciate them.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0

1. People played as Samus, Luigi, and Marth just fine in Melee.
2. True, but this makes ledge guarding more important. The better players will learn to finish the job.
3. The game is now a little less mistake prone. I think many people are in agreement that it is no fun to have to rely on ultra-precise button pressing and to mess up at any crucial moment. This is fine with me, but it is unfortunate that jumping is slowed down because of this.
4. There really isn't much to debate upon here. The removal of L-canceling simply harms moves, and the only positive that can come out of it is that they can make moves really strong, without worrying about making them overpowered and abusable.
5. If you want to edgeguard in Brawl, get off the stage. Since you can grab the ledge even when facing backwards, you can actually face your opponent when you're jumping to edgeguard.
6. There's no combos partly because the game hasn't been out for very long. Melee seemed to have a good mix of comboing up until towards it's later years. Characters like Fox and Falco dominate the game because of their ability to just link moves together randomly.

FEaR.7

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FEaR.7
Nice vids, I missed Link's bomb game though. I guess if what you say about the bombs being less effective is true then you had no choice...

Gahlo

Smash Cadet
Wonderful videos, they provide an excellent model for me to mold my play after.

To tell the truth, I'm a rather average player and I've just started getting into SB more than the mundane.

I noticed in the video's you posted all your kills came from knocking your opponent off of the screen, and none of them came from edge guard.

Is Link's edge guarding so bad it shouldn't be attempted?
What use is the meteor(or was it spike?) on his dtilt now that people suck into the ledge?
Is jumping out and chucking a bomb down at somebody useful?

Beno

Smash Rookie
So, Link`s bomb game is useless now? Guess I'm going to have to train myself to not use down-b as often.
Also, that looked like the fastest paced Brawl game so far.

Deva

Smash Lord
1. People played as Samus, Luigi, and Marth just fine in Melee.
2. True, but this makes ledge guarding more important. The better players will learn to finish the job.
3. The game is now a little less mistake prone. I think many people are in agreement that it is no fun to have to rely on ultra-precise button pressing and to mess up at any crucial moment. This is fine with me, but it is unfortunate that jumping is slowed down because of this.
4. There really isn't much to debate upon here. The removal of L-canceling simply harms moves, and the only positive that can come out of it is that they can make moves really strong, without worrying about making them overpowered and abusable.
5. If you want to edgeguard in Brawl, get off the stage. Since you can grab the ledge even when facing backwards, you can actually face your opponent when you're jumping to edgeguard.
6. There's no combos partly because the game hasn't been out for very long. Melee seemed to have a good mix of comboing up until towards it's later years. Characters like Fox and Falco dominate the game because of their ability to just link moves together randomly.
1. Yeah, but those characters were played differently than others. Luigi, unlike other characters, rarely, if ever, used his dash. He relied soley on wave dashing for movement and with wave dashing was one of the fastest characters in the game based on ground speed. Samus also relied heavily on wave dashing and used missles and ground based attacks along with ccing for most of her game play. Marth, again heavily relied on the wave dash and was still fast for being floaty because he could pull double aerials in a short hop like Luigi. These were also some of the harder characters to combo in the game. They also had good combos on other characters like Fox. Now if everyone was floaty, no one can combo anyone and the game becomes a pointless match of trading hits.

2. If you'd played the game you'd understand, but edge guarding is extremely situational. First off, there are only a few characters in the game that you can edge guard. Everyone else can get back even if you hit them while they're off the stage as long as they DI your attack up. They can always move towards the stage in the air due to everyone's floatiness and still have their up-b along with almost everyone having really good up-b recoveries. The only characters you can edge guard really are characters that aern't as floaty or have terrible recoveries like Link and Falcon or certain characters with tether recoveries. This will probably be a problem for Link when they make the tier list. Everyone else you HAVE TO KNOCK OFF FOR A KILL. It's the only way.

3. Exactly >_>....... the whole point of faster game play and precise timings were that if you put time into getting good you would be better than the guy that thought he was good but didn't really know how to play. The better player wouldn't make mistakes. Again, n00b friendly. They created this game so the advanced techs they thought should be included would be easier for everyone to pull off so that there wouldn't be much of a line between pros and n00bs. Sakurai even made a comment recently on that.
4. Most character's aerials aern't even that much stronger if at all. The aerial game play has really been dumbed down xD.
5. Edge hogging doesn't really exist. When you get up to roll, the character grabs the ledge. It only works against characters who don't have multi hits on their up-b, tether recoveries, and characters like Link who have horrible recoveries where theyre using the up-b to recover instead of getting underneath to hit the edge hogging opponent.
6. It doesnt matter. You can tell by the physics of the game. The only combos you will get will be about 2-3 hits if that. Everything else can be air dodged or jumped out of unless your opponent is retarted. For example, it looks like Marth can foreward throw to fair relatively easy in this game. Turns out you can air dodge before the fair:ohwell:.

Gahlo said:
I noticed in the video's you posted all your kills came from knocking your opponent off of the screen, and none of them came from edge guard.

Is Link's edge guarding so bad it shouldn't be attempted?
Link really can't edge guard any more. You can sometimes jump out an attack an opponent with a f-air, but characters can just air dodge when you get close. The gale boomerang can sometimes pull people off the edge when they're trying to edge guard you though.

Gahlo said:
What use is the meteor(or was it spike?) on his dtilt now that people suck into the ledge?
Is jumping out and chucking a bomb down at somebody useful?
I don't know what the creators were thinking when they gave Link his d-tilt spike. Due to the auto sweet spot it never hits. The only time it works is when the opponent is starts theyre up-b too early while they're near the sweet spot and over shoot it. Unless the player hasn't really played before, it almost never happens.

Also to Others commenting on why I Don't like Brawl as much, I still think it's competetive, just nowhere near as competetive. Don't get me wrong. If it wasn't competetive at all I wouldn't even be playing it lol.

Top Bottom