• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Destructoids Top 50 Games of the Decade.

Melancholy

Smash Ace
I think this list is excellent, I agree with everything on there pretty much.

Also Psychonauts being on the list makes me happy. I loved that game, so much.

EDIT: Wtf Majora's mask not on the list at all? It was released in 2000? IMO the greatest game of all time not just this decade.

Browny

Smash Hater
meh

I find it extremely hard to believe that THPS3 was better than 2. I mean sure it may be in a technical sense, but 2 was like, THE game of 2000 for people who werent into kiddie games lol. I didnt know a single person who didnt have/had played this game during the 64/ps era. no dragon age origins is also very stupid, as with Battlefield 2 and Warcraft 3 TFT. Get that kingdom hearts / Prince of Persia **** outa there.

The top like, 30 looks pretty much as Id expect it but still... Those PC games are just as iconic/will be as the likes of Diablo 2, half life, and are probably far better from a technical point of view.

Also no advance wars. This list is bad.

Sieg

Smash Champion
So I'm assuming you didn't read it all.

Because they both mentioned the hard time they had choosing WW or MM.

And the fact that it says that THPS2 was the godgame, and 3 only improved on it.

Melancholy

Smash Ace
So I'm assuming you didn't read it all.

Because they both mentioned the hard time they had choosing WW or MM.
Why can't they both be in there? That's just stupid, and yes I did read the part about it "being too repeditive". It just undermines the list to not actually have the Top 50 games of the decade. Judge the games individually, not on what came before/after.

Splice

Smash Hero
Why can't they both be in there? That's just stupid, and yes I did read the part about it "being too repeditive". It just undermines the list to not actually have the Top 50 games of the decade. Judge the games individually, not on what came before/after.
I think it's a good thing that they didn't include more than one game per series. In that case they would have had EVERY 3-D Zelda game, Mario 64, the two God of Wars and lots of other stuff as well, and all the other things like that, and generally it just would have been a far less interesting read. This way it shows us at least, where the best game in the series would have been, without spamming the list with the rest of the games.

I still think they should have chosen Majoras Mask over Wind Waker, however.
I lol'd at what was said about Melee. He's totally right about GaW :lick:

I liked the list, now i have to buy Shadow of the Colossus and a PS2. -_-

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
Didn't really expect Mother 3 to get such a placing. =S Really good nonetheless.

Gaw****, I regret not buying Valkyria Chronicles the 500 times I saw it.

Sieg

Smash Champion
SotC is THAT amazing.

Seriously. One of the best games I've ever played.

Browny

Smash Hater
Im now derailing this into our own top 10 of the decade, coz plenty of other websites will do their own top [game] list, I dont see how destructoid is any more reliable than another. Games that come to mind, in no specific order (Games I've played obviously, I never had a chance to play SotC or import games)

Warcraft 3 TFT
WoW
Dragon Age Origins
Advance Wars
Golden Sun 2
Halo 2
GTA: SA
Wind Waker
Mario Galaxy
Resident Evil 4

With a notable mention for Battlefield 2, Metroid prime, and maybe others Ill think of later.

Sieg

Smash Champion
It's not about YOU'RE favourite.

I just asked an opinion on this list, which I find in MY opinion to be extremely accurate. This list delves into games because of their gameplay, or their creativeness accurately.

Not how much YOU like them.

Splice

Smash Hero
It'd be good if we could bump other threads with these sorts of things, as it does relate back to Novas thread.

I was extremely satisfied seeing Melee being chosen over Brawl (and at all)
And Pikmin 2's placing, very awesome.

Sieg mail me a PS2 and Shadow of the Collosus, I'll finish the game and mail it back with a $50 note.

Browny

Smash Hater
I think this guy changes his priorities too often.

He seems to rate originality and brilliance highly, with Portal, katamari damarcy, braid and metroid prime highly and then sometimes throws in games which were only marginally better than the original but because they may have been technically better (BT, RB2, THPS3). Why not Metroid prime corruption, or THPS2? I cant see his reasoning for many of these when there are prequels/sequels of games which are often universally considered the superior game.

I mean really, no matter how much of a fanboy one is, you cant SERIOUSLY leave out Halo. Multiple world record holding game series which has affected plenty of games since it first came out with the unlimited health regeneration system and its online multiplayer for a console has been practically unmatched for years. Its competitive aspect is one of the highest regarded in all video games and it has multiple books/movies made or in production. Dont get me wrong im not a halo fanboy, I barely played 1,2 and only about 1 hour of 3 but its clear this is a game of the decade. practically no one in the western world who doesnt live under a rock does not know about Halo which is A LOT more than I can say for half the games on this list.

Ikaruga? Serioisly?

Sieg

Smash Champion
> Implying MP2 was better than 1.

Hahahahaha. Hilarious. Halo was ****. Multiple American World Record Holding game in America.

Everyone knows about Halo because it's an American game. That's all they ****ing talk about. HALO.

HEY GUYS, WANNA PLAY SOME HALO? HALO GUYS. I'm ****ing sick of hearing about god**** Halo.

Browny

Smash Hater
im not saying MP2 was better than 1 lol, I said corruption. I know MP1 is universally regarded as the better game. but really, take a step back and compare 1 to 3. without the whole originality of 1, 3 is better in every single aspect other than music imo. And i think taking out originality is fair, since this list seems to do it sometimes.

Nixernator

Smash Ace
Wait Rock Band 2? Its good but putting it on any list short of "Most sold/Popular" or "Great for parties" seems wrong.
Was I the only one who enjoyed THPS2 and 4 more than 3 Lol? If you're putting 3 ahead of 2 for polish, put 4 ahead of 3. Also been a skater myself I'm going to say how terrible the Tony Hawk games are at getting that feeling of skating and point out how awesome EA Skate is.
Yes Paper Mario the original. Thank you.
Wooo Pikmin, another good choice.
Yes SotC is amazing. Innovative, immersive, and conveys so many ideas and morals without much dialog. Love it.

Sieg

Smash Champion
I think they posted THPS2 because it kind of created that franchise and put it on the map as a good game type thing.

Browny

Smash Hater
nix, thps2 was the best.

I can agree with RB2 being there. While GH5 wins for multiplayer content imo, RB had the original band idea so it deserves some credit, and RB2 is superior to 1. Its a whole mix of reasons but I can see how its justified. You cant put RB1 since RB2 is that much better, you cant put original GH since it didnt have band support and you cant put GH5 since RB was the original band game >_< or something lol

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
Multiple world record holding game series

lololol good one, gh5 being the best multiplayer game, your killing me.

the sooner you realise your opinions suck, the sooner you can change them, OH WAIT YOU WONT BECAUSE HALO HAS ITS OWN MOVIE IN PRODUCTION MAN!

xXArrowXx

Smash Champion
HALO ?HALO HALO HALO HALO HALO ?HALO ? anyone want HALO ???

list is ok... it would be better if they weren't in order... since i think some are better than others.. but most of them and must plays.

i want to play sotc, anyone got a copy i can borrow... for ps3... actually getting exbawks for christmas 2... so yeah

yeah that makes sense like WoW it does

Sieg

Smash Champion
Yeah, well. I mean, there's always going to be games that should have got a mention. I think most of us can agree that there were more than 50 AMAZING games in the last decade lol.

For some reason I just felt that this list accurately tried to portray what were some of the best games. With the lowest amount of bias possible.

Ant1

Smash Ace
I just found that Perfect Dark came out in mid/late 2000............. How could they not have Perfect Dark?!?!

Where do u guys think PD should've placed if it were placed? I'm thinking top 5

Browny

Smash Hater
Like...?

Seriously I dont know many that arent already on the list. Sure theres been some great PC shooters but they have a massive natural advantage over consoles its unfair to compare the two :/

Top Bottom