• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Delzethin examines remaking Luigi's moveset

xHZWCUsF2RU-HD.jpg

Delzethin's Remake It! series takes a look at characters in Smash Bros. whose fighter designs wandered far too out of character, are outdated, or could otherwise benefit from a revisit. In his newest entry, he takes on Luigi's Smash moveset.

The video starts with mentioning how Smash's take on Luigi is incomplete. It offers a lot into the scared side of his personality, but nothing into how he can be brave at times, nor his humble nature. Delzethin's approach to this includes keeping the playstyle as a well-rounded character who's strength is in grabs, with a slower run, air, and fall speed.

Most of the tilts stay the same, but Delzethin approaches the rest of the move set by utilizing Luigi's hammer and electric blast from the Mario & Luigi series, a spin jump from every Mario Platformer after Super Mario World for his NAir. Luigi's specials have a major overhaul crafted. Delzethin keeps Luigi's neutral special, but changes the the Side B to be a spin tornado (from the Mario Strikers and Mario Baseball series), the Up B into a Thunder Punch from Mario & Luigi and the Down B as the Poltergust from Luigi's Mansion. For Luigi's Final Smash, Luigi pulls from Mario & Luigi: Dream Team with bringing, of course, Dreamy Luigi.

While characters in Smash don't typically get move set overhauls, it is fascinating to see this approach on retooling a character to try and make them better. There's definitely a lot of untapped potential in updating and revamping move sets.

Author's Note: Honestly, I wouldn't mind a rehaul of Luigi. Seeing movesets get reworked is exciting. Would you like to see Luigi get revamped in the next Smash game? Let us know in the comments!

Lucas "Thirdkoopa" Guimaraes

Comments

Just FYI: he’s going to do Kirby next.
Out of all the characters, I think Kirby needs an overhaul the most.

I don't get why these moveset revamps are always so obsessed with "Outdated movesets" or "Out-of-character movesets". Surely it's the Min Mins, Mega Men, and Heroes you want to be revamping? The characters who suck to play against and just sour the game. Luigi in particular is flawed, sure, but it's more the fault of the tuning than the moves themselves.

Last edited:
I don't get why these moveset revamps are always so obsessed with "Outdated movesets" or "Out-of-character movesets". Surely it's the Min Mins, Mega Men, and Heroes you want to be revamping? The characters who suck to play against and just sour the game. Luigi in particular is flawed, sure, but it's more the fault of the tuning than the moves themselves.
Just because you lose to zoners doesn't make them inherently flawed, get over yourself.

People want their favorite characters to be represented well. Mega Man wouldn't be Mega Man without the ability to shoot projectiles and have robot master weapons, Hero is always the most versatile class so being able to use so many moves makes sense, and Min Min literally comes from a game where people shoot their arms halfway across the level.

I'm starting to think the only characters you have problems with are ones you can't outplay.

There's so much potential with his many copy abilities.

Not really he uses a lot of abilitys already that being:
Fighter, Throw, Hammer, Fire, Stone, Cutter and his inhale dont get me wrong he could get some other attacks specifically Sword as its his signature ability his final smash is also fine i think the truck is too FL Specific so youre either gonna have to use HYper Nova or Ultra Sword
The Biggest change they should do is giving kirby his canon abilitys when he inhales someone aka:
Link= Sword Ness= Jojo or Psychic and son and so forth

This is just responding to criticism with "skill issue" but with extra steps
There's nothing to criticize - he always brings up those three character examples as characters with bad design but never elaborates on why. And outside of maybe Min Min, none of these characters are overtly problematic or complained about by the community - the other two are mid or low tier. If you wanna complain about characters that are more unique and actually cause genuine problems for the game, Steve is literally right there and Bayonetta was there for Smash 4, but he's not whining about them.

He has this ass backwards mentality that just because characters are different they're badly designed and unfun to play against, but it's oh so convenient he always brings up the same three examples. Smells like salt to me.

Welcome to fighting games. There will always be a character or characters you don't like no matter what game it is, that doesn't make it the characters fault or the developers who made them, and acting like those characters are the problem and not your poor mentality shows a complete lack of self awareness. I hate Manon, JP, and Cammy in SF6 but I don't think they need to be removed or are unhealthy or problematic for the game.

Hell, you can extend this to any competitive game. My buddy Zach creates stupidly powerful Commander decks in MtG, but if I can't beat them that doesn't mean those decks are poorly designed, it means I didn't play my cards right or I got unlucky with my draws.

There's nothing to criticize - he always brings up those three character examples as characters with bad design but never elaborates on why. And outside of maybe Min Min, none of these characters are overtly problematic or complained about by the community - the other two are mid or low tier. If you wanna complain about characters that are more unique and actually cause genuine problems for the game, Steve is literally right there and Bayonetta was there for Smash 4, but he's not whining about them.

He has this ass backwards mentality that just because characters are different they're badly designed and unfun to play against, but it's oh so convenient he always brings up the same three examples. Smells like salt to me.

Welcome to fighting games. There will always be a character or characters you don't like no matter what game it is, that doesn't make it the characters fault or the developers who made them, and acting like those characters are the problem and not your poor mentality shows a complete lack of self awareness. I hate Manon, JP, and Cammy in SF6 but I don't think they need to be removed or are unhealthy or problematic for the game.

Hell, you can extend this to any competitive game. My buddy Zach creates stupidly powerful Commander decks in MtG, but if I can't beat them that doesn't mean those decks are poorly designed, it means I didn't play my cards right or I got unlucky with my draws.
I never said those 3 were overpowered, just that they're annoying. Mid tier =/= well balanced, doesn't matter how much counterplay there is, or even how easy the counterplay is, if it isn't fun. I bring up these specific 3 because they're the most striking and borderline-comical examples of the inherently negative trend towards source accuracy, with Min Min outright lacking multiple moves; Mega Man being 99% projectiles; and Hero being an RNG fest, things that anyone who doesn't care about source accuracy could understand the flaws of. Bad moveset design exists, and having a character with almost nothing but projectiles or the ability to create a half-stage-long inpenetrable horizontal hitbox in a game that's already based around trying to send your foe away from you is an example of it.

Last edited:
I never said those 3 were overpowered, just that they're annoying. Mid tier =/= well balanced, doesn't matter how much counterplay there is, or even how easy the counterplay is, if it isn't fun. I bring up these specific 3 because they're the most striking and borderline-comical examples of the inherently negative trend towards source accuracy, with Min Min outright lacking multiple moves; Mega Man being 99% projectiles; and Hero being an RNG fest, things that anyone who doesn't care about source accuracy could understand the flaws of. Bad moveset design exists, and having a character with almost nothing but projectiles or the ability to create a half-stage-long inpenetrable horizontal hitbox in a game that's already based around trying to send your foe away from you is an example of it.
All you're doing is complaining about things that you can't outplay. Learn the matchup, or play a character that counters the ones you don't like, or heaven forbid learn to parry and shield, it really isn't that hard. No competitive player complains about these characters like you do, because they've actually bothered to practice and can outplay any cheese that gets thrown at them.

And this vitriolic disdain for source accuracy and preference for how everything was back in the good old days where everyone's moves were generic punches and kicks is outdated and foolish, just go play Melee if you feel that way. Don't have to worry about the dreaded projectiles and long horizontal hitboxes there.

Manon gets to keep her resource between rounds in SF which I think is bad game design but I don't ***** whenever she comes up in an online battle, nor do I think her playstyle is invalid. All the grapplers in SF are obnoxious to me, but I'm training and learning to outplay their cheese. Smash is no different with any playstyle, it's okay to just admit you're bad at countering them, no one is gonna judge you for it, but blaming the character and the devs for their character designing and calling it hurr durr bad is covering up for your own insecurity in your ability to play the game here. Maybe Smash isn't the game for you. There are plenty of alternatives. Besides, I thought you liked Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl better, why not just play that than a game you've openly said you don't like?

Last edited:
Top Bottom