• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dededee: In Need of A Queen

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Introduction

Hello! It´s my pleasure to introduce to you the Dedede team battles thread! This thread is dedicated for the discussion about Dedede and his partners in 2 vs 2 battles. It was born because there´s been some demand for the doubles tactics and partners thread lately.

Now that the boring introductions are over it´s time for... boring explanations! Here´s some basic knowledge about 2v2 battles. Since they are highly complicated things with many different variables (stages, enemy teams, experience vs or with some characters etc. etc.) it would be impossible just to list the best and worst teammates for Dedede. This is why this thread will work as a place for discussions about Dedede teamed up with various characters. Discussion is open, but here are some questions that can be used as a basis when thinking about teams tactics:

1. What kind of team is Dedede + ____?

This means talking about how the team combination usually works best AKA how it usually should be played. In many cases there´s more than one way of playing the team, all with their own advantages. The main three playstyles in teams are:

• Aggressive (both characters are attack oriented and tend charge in for attacks, trying to add pressure on the enemy)
    • Passive (both characters play defensive and do their best to force enemies to approach first)
    • Semi-passive/semi-aggressive (one half of the team rushes in for close quarters combat while the other is left back to support with projectiles, protect from attacks and so on).

If necessary, it´s possible to make and use more accurate descriptions, but usually these three are enough to give to basic idea of the team structure.

2. What roles two the two have in the team?

The basic thing to consider in 2v2 battles is what role every character has. Possible roles could for example be:

• Finisher: A character that specializes into finishing enemies that are already damaged or send flying. This is usually done by hitting them hard enough to send directly out of the screen or by gimping them.
    • Damage racker: The main damager in the team, this character usually tends to rush directly into fight and causes lots of damage really fast, but has some trouble sealing the deal with KOs.
    • Supporter: These characters favor the sidelines of battle and try to avoid unnecessary direct combat with enemy while supporting their partner with projectiles and other means.
    • Stock holder: Well protected character whose main job is to stay alive on the battlefield. The point of this is to keep a stock lead compared to the enemy team, thus forcing them to stay active.
    • Spacing master: The one who helps creating good situations and positions for the team. This is rarely one´s only job in a team, but some characters perform in this task extremely well.
    • Multitasker: This means a character that has wide array of options, enabling him/her to work as kind of jack-of-all-trades, always choosing the most beneficial style for the team according to the situation.

This division is not to be taken too strictly as it´s not unusual for the characters to have traits of multiple from these play styles, but they work as a nice directory.

3. What can the two do to support each other?

How well does Dedede work with the characters in question? Do they rule out each other´s weaknesses or share the same ones? Are there some specific tactics they can use together? All things like this are a important part of every doubles team and should be well discussed. This part of the discussion is probably going to be the most time-consuming of them all, but it´s also the most important one.

4. What problems does the team have?

There´s no such thing as the perfect team: there´re always some weak spots here and there. Finding and identifying those weak spots is also a part of the reason this thread was made, as knowing them makes it easier to prevent them from being exploited.

5. Is there something special that should be noted about the team?

Does the team have serious disadvantage on certain stages or get completely ruined by certain characters? Or vice versa: does the team absolutely dominate in certain situations? There are many things that can completely tore apart normally very well working team or give a huge advantage in battle. They´re usually rare, but can turn the battle upside down. If you know things like make sure to share them with others. We´re all working together here!

Ending words

We´ll be talking one character at a time, discussing how he/she works as Dedede´s teammate. The character we´re going to talk about at every current time is eventually decided by me but I´m always open for successions concerning both the thread in general and the next character to discuss. Every time we change a character I´ll post about it and sometimes list some very basic information about him/her concerning the team. This is only to save some time and effort. Everything more accurate and important will be left for the discussion. I´ll also try to create summaries about the discussed teams, but they might not get done at the same rate as we´re moving on.

This is probably going to become quite large thread and take some serious time to finish. It also needs contribution from many people to work. But now it is finally time to get to the fun part: the actual discussions!

Week 1: Wario

The format for this guide lovingly ripped from the Zelda boards and Half-Split Soul

Gates

Banned via Warnings
This thread is dedicated for the discussion about Zelda and her partners in 2 vs 2 battles.
[...]
Since they are highly complicated things with many different variables (stages, enemy teams, experience vs or with some characters etc. etc.) it would be impossible just to list the best and worst teammates for Zelda.
Word ?

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
Make sure the Zelda boards don't find out we stole took there thread !

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Nobody cares. When I started the matchup thread it was like 90% plagarized from Affinity's MK thread.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Once we actually have computability match ups, the introduction won't be used anymore.
However, its so instructive, and covers everything we need to know before going into a team mate discussion thread, that I couldn't see a way to improve on it other than to add purple.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Dat purple stuff? Ooh lawdy.

I have an idea for how you could continue to improve this thread: Start spelling "Dedede" correctly.

SpongeBathBill

Smash Ace
As long as you're un-sporking stuff...

CRASHiC said:
Hello! It´s my pleasure to introduce to you the Dededee team battles thread! This thread is dedicated for the discussion about Dededee and her partners in 2 vs 2 battles. It was born because there´s been some demand for the doubles tactics and partners thread lately.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
HAPPY FARTS! MOCKo COMBO!

That aside, I just started playing Wario today and he's definitely an amazing character. I haven't tried him in teams at all but he seems like a really great option due to his mobility. He and Dedede can also set eachother up for things. If either one gets a grab, they can throw to the other one for a kill move (Wario can fthrow to Dedede's utilt, Dedede can dthrow to Wario's fsmash or f/bthrow to Wario's uair).

Yeah, there's really not much more I know about the team. Wake me up when we get to Snake, MK, Toon Link, and Falco; they're who my doubles partner uses.

Jupz

Smash Master
I'm experienced in the MK and bowser teams - not so much wario, but I'll try to post something after basketball.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
HAPPY FARTS! MOCKo COMBO!

That aside, I just started playing Wario today and he's definitely an amazing character. I haven't tried him in teams at all but he seems like a really great option due to his mobility. He and Dedede can also set eachother up for things. If either one gets a grab, they can throw to the other one for a kill move (Wario can fthrow to Dedede's utilt, Dedede can dthrow to Wario's fsmash or f/bthrow to Wario's uair).

Yeah, there's really not much more I know about the team. Wake me up when we get to Snake, MK, Toon Link, and Falco; they're who my doubles partner uses.
Wario can fart all over the victim after King Dedede sits on him too =D, double a** action!

Mythic02

Smash Journeyman
Something very useful. When you see Wario is way out in the air and his bike is on the ground, swallow it right away. His bike gives him one of the best recoveries and when you swallow he gets a new one.

I don't play this very much, but considering the only semi useful projectile we will be mainly aggressive. Dedede should definitely stay on the ground and Wario will take the air. Dedede will also probably be spacing more.

Also, does anyone know if it is possible to MOCKo combo into a pivot grab. That would equal even more awesomeness than the normal combo.

Mythic02

Smash Journeyman
It's kind of hard to define their roles. They complimant each other nicely but they do pretty much the same thing in teams.

I suppose that king dedede is the spacer because wario has no range, but that is pretty much it. They have the same strengths and weaknesses, they are strong and slow. They just combo into each other very nicely.

Mythic02

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, that pretty much summed it up Crashic.

And they do serve the same roles in team attack. They can live long so they are both good stock holders. They are both powerful so they can be finishers. They can deal damage but aren't fast enough just to be a damage racker. Dedede just has a bit more range to be a spacer. And waddle dees aren't fast and spammy enough to be a supporter. At least not while both of your enemies are alive.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Waddle Dee toss is hardly ever useful in a team battle because of the lack of space in the stage when there's four people in it, but throw more anyways for a chance to get a Gordo...
Oh wait...it might hit Wario too.. hm...

Top Bottom