• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Deconfirmed characters that keep you salty?

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
I still don't consider Spirits a deconfirmation, but Bandana Waddle Dee. I fail to see why he's not in the roster when he has high worldwide popularity, and there really aren't any good arguments against his inclusion. There are some other characters I think should've made it, but Dee especially.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
For me it’s Rex becuase it was too in your face in the announcement for the fighters pass.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Sakurai recently officially deconfirmed Goku and Iron man (and to a larger extend every non-video game character) so if you wanted someone from outside a video game, this thread is for you.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Sakurai recently officially deconfirmed Goku and Iron man (and to a larger extend every non-video game character) so if you wanted someone from outside a video game, this thread is for you.
Bu-b-but Mog!

Sakurai before said "Ridley was too big!" look how that turned out!

Quillion

Smash Hero
-It seems like Sakurai wanted to add every single major Mario character except Waluigi and Toad while at the same time adding :ultdoc: & :ultpiranha: in favor.....
Just letting you know, highly recurring spinoff character =/= major character.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Rex. I've never even played XC2, but saying that he pretty much would have been in had the game started earlier seems pretty bad. Especially since, if he would have been in it, why not just save him for DLC? Are they that gung ho on third party DLC?

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Bu-b-but Mog!

Sakurai before said "Ridley was too big!" look how that turned out!
On that note Sakurai never once said Ridley would never be in Smash. He simply said his size was a large enough obstacle to his development, but eventually he just caved because the demand was too high.

Comparing Ridley's size issue to Goku's origin issue is comparing apples to oranges.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Dark Samus isn't "edgy". Unless by that you mean "sinister". I suspect you don't mean "at the forefront of a trend; experimental or avant-garde", either.
Current online usage of the word amounts to "trying too hard to be serious, angsty, dark; an overt and poorly-executed attempt to appeal to counter-culture teenagers; Sasuke Uchiha."

Usage in a sentence. "Man, I tried to play Final Fantasy 7, but I just couldn't get past how edgy Cloud is. He thinks he's so cool and aloof."

Quillion

Smash Hero
Surprised to see support for Rex after all this time. Impressive for being considered Xenoblade's worst protag thus far.

I personally think now that there is reason behind leaving out "recent characters". Smash needs to be a collection of proven icons, not marketing gimmicks (although Roy, Greninja, and Corrin were just that). It's a good thing Bowser Jr. and Inkling waited their turns until after they were proven. Spring Man couldn't be on there since there is no telling if ARMS was DOA at the time (which it is), and Rex is way too new.

Technourgos

Smash Cadet
Current online usage of the word amounts to "trying too hard to be serious, angsty, dark; an overt and poorly-executed attempt to appeal to counter-culture teenagers; Sasuke Uchiha."

Usage in a sentence. "Man, I tried to play Final Fantasy 7, but I just couldn't get past how edgy Cloud is. He thinks he's so cool and aloof."
Yeah, Dark Samus wasn't made with any of that in mind. Her origin of inspiration came from SA-X, an X parasite doppelgänger of Samus in Metroid Fusion. The sequel and darkhorse of the Metroid Prime trilogy was created in a similar fashion to that of The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.

Like Ganondorf, Dark Samus is only dark in the sense of beng evil, but unlike him, she's not dark in a metaphysical sense as though light is her weakness. Dark Samus isn't edgy. Her personality doesn't match Dark Pit's, and she sure as hell is no Saturday morning anime character.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
On that note Sakurai never once said Ridley would never be in Smash. He simply said his size was a large enough obstacle to his development, but eventually he just caved because the demand was too high.

Comparing Ridley's size issue to Goku's origin issue is comparing apples to oranges.
I thought though he said making Ridley playable would demean his status as a boss or at least something around those lines.

"reducing his power to playable levels will undermine his presentation "

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I thought though he said making Ridley playable would demean his status as a boss or at least something around those lines.

"reducing his power to playable levels will undermine his presentation "
Something like that, yes. But the point I was trying to make was that Ridley having design obstacles and Goku being from the wrong media are tow completely different reasons to not be in Smash.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Oh, this easy. Pretty much every Zelda Assist Trophy aside from the Moon (and yes, that includes Tingle), especially Midna. Others have said it before, but it's really about damn time that we get a unique Zelda newcomer. That aside, Isaac and Waluigi, and low-key also Shadow.

Keep in mind, I also don't consider Spirits to be disconfirmations.
Though that being said,
There's also Elma but nobody seems to agree what her spirit means for the character as far as her chances go but considering Rex has an ungodly amount of support Elma is just being overlooked as a result.
This. I agree with this.

DBPirate

Smash Apprentice
The lack of a new Zelda character since Melee is still the most disappointing thing about the roster. Isaac and Skull Kid were the only characters I was actually let down about not being in since they strung us along for so long with them.

Still, with an objective perspective, the roster is fantastic and my most-wanted, Isabelle, made it in.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
I'm legit surprised we didn't get a single Zelda rep from BOTW. Like, Zelda's entire guardian crew would have been ripe to pick from and would fit along Link's BOTW design. Pretty surprising, especially with how well that game has done and been received and none even got in as assists, which is nuts.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Spring Man/ARMs character.

I like the game. I’d like a character in smash.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
I'm legit surprised we didn't get a single Zelda rep from BOTW. Like, Zelda's entire guardian crew would have been ripe to pick from and would fit along Link's BOTW design. Pretty surprising, especially with how well that game has done and been received and none even got in as assists, which is nuts.
It's too new. Not surprising at all.

Characters with history should be a far higher priority than those who haven't proven themselves against the test of time.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace

Characters with history should be a far higher priority than those who haven't proven themselves against the test of time.
I agree but disagree. I admit not every new character should be considered for Smash. I do, however, think characters from Nintendo's established series are exempt from the rule. Inkling is a fine example of the opposite though. The series isn't even that old. Surely not enough to prove the test of time. Yet they absolutely should be, and are, in Smash. Though if it will prove itself against time 20 years from now? That's a different story.

Last edited:

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
I agree but disagree. I admit not every new character should be considered for Smash. I do, however, think characters from Nintendo's established series are exempt from the rule. Inkling is a fine example of the opposite though. The series isn't even that old. Surely not enough to prove the test of time. Yet they absolutely should be, and are, in Smash. Though if it will prove itself against time 20 years from now? That's a different story.
Two games is enough. BOTW has one.

Next Smash, though.

D

Deleted member

Bomberman and Rayman

While it would be nice to have Shovel Knight as a playable character, I'm happy that he's even in the game.

VashTehStampede

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
8506-1485-4895
100% Bomberman was the heavy hitter, him and Isaac were tough. Still salty, bomberman deserved better.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master

I dunno man. Being new didn't stop :ultlucina::ultrobin::ultcorrin::ultlucario::ultgreninja::ultincineroar: from getting in. I can see why some people would think that characters like a BOTW rep or Rex had a shot in.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
I dunno man. Being new didn't stop :ultlucina::ultrobin::ultcorrin::ultlucario::ultgreninja::ultincineroar: from getting in. I can see why some people would think that characters like a BOTW rep or Rex had a shot in.
I think the difference is that Fire Emblem doesn't HAVE recurring characters to pick from as an option, and Pokemon are assumed by proxy to be in all future games. At least, that was the case before Sword/Shield.

It's not that they don't have a shot, certainly, but at the same time I don't think it's surprising that they were passed over. Zelda is such a storied series with so many other fan-requested characters with more established history and lasting support.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I think the difference is that Fire Emblem doesn't HAVE recurring characters to pick from as an option, and Pokemon are assumed by proxy to be in all future games. At least, that was the case before Sword/Shield.
That and Fire Emblem and Pokémon are both established series. The fact that they have completely revolving door casts and are established means they can afford to have marketing gimmick characters.

Even then, I don't think any of them were good ideas.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Even then, I don't think any of them were good ideas.
Me neither :)

I honestly wish I didn't have to worry about marketing gimmick characters with every new game, especially form those 2 series. Despite how much I love three houses I really hope it doesn't get a new character since that would be predictable and redundant.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Surprised to see support for Rex after all this time. Impressive for being considered Xenoblade's worst protag thus far.

I personally think now that there is reason behind leaving out "recent characters". Smash needs to be a collection of proven icons, not marketing gimmicks (although Roy, Greninja, and Corrin were just that). It's a good thing Bowser Jr. and Inkling waited their turns until after they were proven. Spring Man couldn't be on there since there is no telling if ARMS was DOA at the time (which it is), and Rex is way too new.
I assume you are considering Elma as X's protagonist. Either way, it was probably more the way he was deconfirmed (kind of like Chrom in 4).

As for your second point: Bayonetta and Joker. I certainly agree they should be proven, but Sakurai doesn't seem to agree or has different definitions. If the presentation was any indication, he's just out to pad his record at this point.

Last edited:

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
As for your second point: Bayonetta and Joker. I certainly agree they should be proven, but Sakurai doesn't seem to agree or has different definitions. If the presentation was any indication, he's just out to pad his record at this point.
Bayonetta had two games.

Joker was part of a franchise with a rotating cast. There was no "every game" character to use, so any protagonist is as good as any other. The closest thing to a Persona mascot is Jack Frost, and that's iffy at that.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Bayonetta had two games.

Joker was part of a franchise with a rotating cast. There was no "every game" character to use, so any protagonist is as good as any other. The closest thing to a Persona mascot is Jack Frost, and that's iffy at that.
Two games an icon does not make.

And that might work if they didn't make it very clear he was repping P5.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I would have loved Ghirahim. Maybe I'm being bias, but Ghirahim really nails aesthetic and personality. He's definitely a character I'm still salty over.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I assume you are considering Elma as X's protagonist. Either way, it was probably more the way he was deconfirmed (kind of like Chrom in 4).

Bayonetta was about 6 years old when Smash 3DS originally released. That's a good threshold to be considered established with one game. And even if ARMS won't continue that would be a good threshold for first party franchises as well.

And that might work if they didn't make it very clear he was repping P5.
I think we can blame that on Atlus having this thing about milking one mainline Persona installment dry and only paying lipservice to prior ones before moving on to the next.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Bayonetta was about 6 years old when Smash 3DS originally released. That's a good threshold to be considered established with one game. And even if ARMS won't continue that would be a good threshold for first party franchises as well.

I think we can blame that on Atlus having this thing about milking one mainline Persona installment dry and only paying lipservice to prior ones before moving on to the next.
Being old doesn't make an icon. Had Nintendo not given the series a second chance, it may have stayed dead. Doesn't exactly scream one of gaming's greats.

Whatever the reason, Joker is P5, as such, I can't really call him an icon. I'd say he's closer to a fad given how P5 blew up which might be fine if he's a one off, but given how he's under the Sega umbrella, that may be unlikely.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Rex. I've never even played XC2, but saying that he pretty much would have been in had the game started earlier seems pretty bad. Especially since, if he would have been in it, why not just save him for DLC? Are they that gung ho on third party DLC?
I expect him and the Octolings as guaranteed first-party dlc. This is Smash’s biggest game so I think Nintendo will want their bigger first-party stuff to get more representation or have at least two fighters and currently, only Splattoon and Xenoblade chronicles are lacking representation. Coming to think of it, we might get another Bayonetta rep despite her series being third-party, because her series is pretty much a Nintendo exclusive.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I expect him and the Octolings as guaranteed first-party dlc. This is Smash’s biggest game so I think Nintendo will want their bigger first-party stuff to get more representation or have at least two fighters and currently, only Splattoon and Xenoblade chronicles are lacking representation. Coming to think of it, we might get another Bayonetta rep despite her series being third-party, because her series is pretty much a Nintendo exclusive.
Have you been seeing the same DLC as I have? Especially that Rex costume bit. I say we get Byleths (oh joy) and that's it for Nintendo representation. Cause, why would they cater to Nintendo fans in their DLC?

If Bayonetta gets a second fighter before Sonic, that would be a travesty. It's already one that Sonic wasn't the first to get two.

Quillion

Smash Hero
If Bayonetta gets a second fighter before Sonic, that would be a travesty. It's already one that Sonic wasn't the first to get two.
Why is it a travesty? I see no reason why Sonic needs special treatment among the guests.

And even then, what if they are saving Sonic's second character as a non-echo? Or maybe at least a semi-echo (given how everyone in Sonic can spin2win)?

Top Bottom