• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Decisive Games Introduction Thread (make sure to check the new forum rules as well!)

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
So, I've been playing Town of Salem which is a much faster paced version of mafia, most games take about 10 - 15 minutes. So after playing this, I want to see try a full fledged version or at least a mini. Though, I want to know to anyone who has played ToS is there any significant difference between the two besides how long each game is? 'Cause I'm thinking about joining one of these, here.
The primary differences between ToS and forum mafia are the following:

1) No alias: I know this is obvious, but you're playing under the same name and account you'll be playing all of your games in, so any of the hard core trolling stuff will stay with your name.

2) Vanilla Townies: In forum mafia (And most non-ToS forms of mafia), there are standard town roles called "Vanilla Townies" which don't have a special power. The majority of most roles in this game are Vanilla Townies. In ToS, this would be VERY unrealistic, because night actions make the game. However, that's not as much of the case in forum mafia, which brings me to my third point.

3) Day time is WAY longer in forum mafia than it is for ToS. Same with nights. The reasoning behind this is because forum mafia has way more discussion in general. This is why vanilla townies are a thing. The most important part of forum mafia is talking through your thoughts. You learn a lot from discussion that you would never learn through the 2 minute Day-time discussions ToS has. Night time discussion is also a must for the mafia team. The logic isn't as straight forward as it is in ToS because of this. You have to see how people react to the questions you ask, see how people respond to your thoughts, analyze discussions between a group of individuals on top of many other things.

4) Because of the fact that vanilla townies are a thing, having a power role (Cop [Sheriff in ToS], Doctor, etc) makes you very important to town. Don't just out your results willy nilly, because unlike in ToS, you will be a HUGE target for mafia, and they will try to find every way to get you dead as quickly as possible. That is BAD for town. You also don't have a last will, so you really need to hide the fact that you have a power role, because the second you get killed at night, all of the information you gained through your role goes with you.

5) There is no formula for winning in this like there kind of is for ToS. There's also not nearly as much of a luck factor. All of the night actions you have will have some type of thought behind them. "Should I protect this person who lead a majority of the discussion or is that too obvious of a target? I definitely shouldn't protect the guy that hammered one of our townies, because he's going to be pressured tomorrow." Things like that generally go through a player's head when debating on how to use their night action.

6) Roles are different, and you'll see that some roles that are standard in ToS are NEVER seen in forum mafia. Cop [Sheriff in ToS] can't find SK. Jester is NEVER seen on smashboards because it is so easy to win as Jester in forum mafia. Lyncher [Executioner in ToS] isn't easy to win with imo, but it's never seen on smashboards. Variations of Doctors can't protect themselves at all. There are also more roles. Don't assume you know how a role works because it has the same name as the ToS version. Make sure you read your role PM completely, because the differences are there.

I've played a few forum mafia games, and I'm in love with ToS, so if you have any questions, feel free to PM me. Would love to see you in a mini game! (:

Last edited:

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
I'll /in for you bby

Chaco over-committing onsite and off, hoorahhh. But I got diss.
Can I /in that small game?
/in gorfs
/in yalls :D Am i doing this right?
/in mini

Time to finally see what this is like!
Ok, four it is

/in
aaaaaaand that's 7!

making a thread now, official rules and pm's won't go up n out until i have the time to sit and make them (so tomorrow or friday at latest)

here is the thread

http://smashboards.com/threads/gorf...chit-chat-and-confirm-you-are-playing.376661/

post there to confirm you playing the game :)

Last edited:

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
**** NO!!
ms has some good players. the newbies try to morph yu into an acronym spittin robot wit no effort to introduce nuances of the game. throwin *****s into the deep end here at least opens their eyes to a variety of playstyles. ms yu cant do crazy **** til yu branch past the newbies at which point yull b confused at different playstyles due to the newbie games preparation not bein in sync
the best way to learn to play is to read games that had good play in them. unfortunately it wuldnt go over well to be like "go read these hundreds of pages noob" so i opt for our current system. an all newbie game cant b done wit the low # of *****s incoming

that said mafiascum has some absolutely amazing players, their weak/average players are lower quality then ours though

Last edited:

Ashemu

Smash Ace
a lot of "good" ms players are more ego than actual talent, or thrive bc everybody else is so bad

laundry, define "upicky"?

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
a lot of "good" ms players are more ego than actual talent, or thrive bc everybody else is so bad

laundry, define "upicky"?
basically you pick your own flavor.

spoilers: it's not actually a upick. probably just gonna be a standard open set-up.

:186:

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Bingo Mafia was an embarrassing **** crock. @ ~ Gheb ~ ~ Gheb ~ tagged me here recently and I've been active enough, sooo...

/in mini

Hopefully, I'll learn more about concepts like reading and playstyle when applied to this game. From instruction by seasoned players or otherwise.

JeXs

Smash Champion
Welcome back. You didn't do too bad in Bingo imo. At the very least you made yourself easy to read and that's a good point in your favor. :)

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
no worries capn! i didnt think you did half bad at all, especially for a newer player. its good to know that youre joining another game though :)

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
/in mini
Here we go.
I'm trying to come up with a hybrid name of terrible people. Any suggestions? So far I have Adolf Wilkes Wayne Gacy.

Last edited:

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Any idea on when the thread will go up/pms will go out @ #HBC | Laundry #HBC | Laundry ? Not trying to rush you, just curious on the timeframe on that game starting

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Aight ****, looks like I'll step up and host the next mini mafia game. 7 slots are available: 2 mafiosi [Goon & Vanilla Cop] vs 5 townies [3 Vanilla, 1 Jailer, 1 Tracker].

:059:

Top Bottom