• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Debater Nomination Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mewter

Smash Master
OCloud looks pretty good so far. He was already a solid debater when he walked in. :bee:
Now, it's all he needs is a pink name. :laugh:

*Watches debate sitting stooped over while autofeeding popcorn to mouth.*

RDK

Smash Hero
Sorry it takes years and years of practice to be as out of touch with reality as Rick Warren is.
god i love you

And I don't know where everyone is getting this "all the senior debaters are evil liberal atheists" propaganda from. Delorted is a liberal, but he's adamantly agnostic, as well as Aesir (but don't quote me on it). Crimson and I are atheists, but economically we're as conservative as they come. I'm only liberal when it comes to social issues. The only actual liberal atheist in the DH that I can think of is maybe Alt, but you'd have to ask him yourself, so the idea that the DH is stacked the favor of one viewpoint is ridiculous.

The religious people in here just aren't vocal enough.

Aesir

Smash Master
god i love you

And I don't know where everyone is getting this "all the senior debaters are evil liberal atheists" propaganda from. Delorted is a liberal, but he's adamantly agnostic, as well as Aesir (but don't quote me on it). Crimson and I are atheists, but economically we're as conservative as they come. I'm only liberal when it comes to social issues. The only actual liberal atheist in the DH that I can think of is maybe Alt, but you'd have to ask him yourself, so the idea that the DH is stacked the favor of one viewpoint is ridiculous.

Well you're right about the liberal party I am pretty ****ing liberal. =D

But I'm not agnostic, I'm about as atheist as you get, I'm just not one of those "New" Atheists.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
god i love you

I'm pretty sure most of us are either liberal or libertarian with a few in between, which means there's not much debate for things like ID, the new Texas law about Bible required curriculum, stem cell research, and stuff like that. =/
Only arguing econ is boring.
<--- liberal pastafarian. :) Cuz we're better than atheists. ^_^

:093:

Riddle

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure most of us are either liberal or libertarian with a few in between, which means there's not much debate for things like ID, the new Texas law about Bible required curriculum, stem cell research, and stuff like that. =/
Only arguing econ is boring.
<--- liberal pastafarian. :) Cuz we're better than atheists. ^_^

Lol trufax. Pastafarians are better than atheists, and we prove it with the amazingness of our group.

Before I was converted by the Flying Spaghetti Monster though I was an atheist (lol I still am ofc) and I am liberal. However, I think what we need is not neccessarily religious debaters (unless they are good, then by all means let them in), but good devil's advocaters or more creative topics that aren't based on religion or politics. I like Miggz's idea of proposing a couple of topics and then starting the one's that have the most dissent. In fact I think I will try that here and in the DHAI thread right now.

The topics I am thinking of are:
1)Stem Cell Research
2)Legalization of Marijuana/other drugs (more general then the one I made in the proving grounds)
3)Your opinion of the war on terror
4)Should standardized tests be required
5)Adoption of Children by same Sex Couples
and
6)Is it morally accceptable to conduct expiriments on lab animals.

Give me your brief opinion on each issue and then the one with the most dissagreement I will make a thread about.

By the way, when I need to find debate topics I go to http://www.idebate.org/debatabase/topic_index.php which is a large database of debate topics.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
Hey, you will have something to debate eventually...I haven't made a thread yet! :p
You should make one about the new law in Texas that just went into effect about the curriculum including the Bible.
:) Should stir up some heat.

Riddle:
Your avatar is sexy.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Anyone up for creating a "how to post correctly" topic in the PG? Snex did a really good topic on how to quote posts, which I plan to stealuse, but I'd love some ideas how to add quotes, citations, and spin arguments. It's just a thought.

Also, TGK, go to the Center Stage topic. I mentioned you as a model for ascending to this room, and you need to bust some people in line.

Riddle

Smash Lord
Crimson I can create a "how to post" topic if you think me a good enough poster to begin with. I would have to know whaqt you want in there though.

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
Anyone up for creating a "how to post correctly" topic in the PG? Snex did a really good topic on how to quote posts, which I plan to stealuse, but I'd love some ideas how to add quotes, citations, and spin arguments. It's just a thought.

Also, TGK, go to the Center Stage topic. I mentioned you as a model for ascending to this room, and you need to bust some people in line.
Apologies for dragging my feet, but my internets is completely acting like a beach. :urg: On my way there now...

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
Crimson I can create a "how to post" topic if you think me a good enough poster to begin with. I would have to know whaqt you want in there though.
I think I should step up and do this--but not in the DH or PG, but rather a blog. I think we need to let the whole boards know the ins and outs of debating for the better. ;)

CK, what say you?

I'll do it, I'm far more polarizing I'll set those kids into shape.
No need to be so polarizing, they may consider you as snobbish and such. :chuckle:

RDK

Smash Hero
Whoever has the most seniority of the current senior debaters gets to make the "How to Post Correctly" thread.

Well, looks like that's me. I'll get cracking on it.

Good after all I'm just a liberal atheist, it's my job to be an elitist right guys?

Kudos to anyone who figures out who I'm mocking.
:laugh:

:ohwell:

:mad:

RDK

Smash Hero
I see what you did there.
You can help me; we'll collaborate on it. Which is to say you'll spend a bunch of time typing stuff up in a PM for me, which I'll probably end up deleting and just submit my own stuff anyway. :)

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
TGK, a blog sounds like a really good way to get some recognition for the room. I'd like a "how to debate" topic to be separate from a blog post, however.

Riddle

Smash Lord
Wow thanks RDK and Aesir. Your nice, lol.

You guys can do it if CK thinks you are better suited to it, but I think I am qualified as well.

RDK

Smash Hero
Wow thanks RDK and Aesir. Your nice, lol.

You guys can do it if CK thinks you are better suited to it, but I think I am qualified as well.
It can be a community effort. Just type up whatever you think needs to be included and PM it to me so we can pool all of our ideas together.

D

Deleted member

okay, no. We're not calling this guy TGK when there already is an RDK. and like an SDK or something like that.

how to post... lol get at me. I frankly think it should be written by senior debaters.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I don't really care who writes it, but I do think it should be a collaboration.

TGK stays. Dealwithit.

Riddle

Smash Lord
I vote we create a thread in the proper Debate Hall and everybody writes a specific section of the guide and they are all credited in the OP.

I call grammar/formatting.

RDK

Smash Hero
Here's how we're doing it: Del, Aesir, and I will collaborate on writing / formatting the actual post. Everyone else who wants something added or feels they want to contribute may PM one of the other senior debaters or myself to have it added, and everyone who contributes will be credited at the bottom of the post according to what content they provided.

Mewter

Smash Master
Whatever. How about a compromise? :bee:
TGKazoo. Where are you? Haha... Yeah....

So far...
TGK, RDK, SDK...
M2K...

Here's how we're doing it: Del, Aesir, and I will collaborate on writing / formatting the actual post. Everyone else who wants something added or feels they want to contribute may PM one of the other senior debaters or myself to have it added, and everyone who contributes will be credited at the bottom of the post according to what content they provided.
K. See what I did there?
My contribution: back up your posts with evidence/ something credible with substance.

Haha, or not. Seems too obvious to be a real contribution. It would be added anyways.

Riddle

Smash Lord
Can I write something about grammar, spelling, and formatting?

RDK

Smash Hero
Can I write something about grammar, spelling, and formatting?
Yep. I already cooked up a rough draft, and you can find the thread here. I forgot to include much about grammar / spelling / formatting, so if anything's missing feel free to pitch in.

Mewter

Smash Master
Yep. I already cooked up a rough draft, and you can find the thread here. I forgot to include much about grammar / spelling / formatting, so if anything's missing feel free to pitch in.
Are we allowed to post in the thread?

I'll do it anyways. :laugh:
Whosever idea it was to make a new thread after this one had, well, a good idea. This one can be like the rough draft thread, right?

RDK

Smash Hero
I specifically don't endorse the Proving Grounds member named "GOD!" from entering the Debate Hall proper, and I suggest that you all do, too.

Edit: yes, Mewter, you can post in the thread.

manhunter098

Smash Lord
I actually think GOD! argues fairly well, though he has some pretty glaring flaws in his methods for argumentation. Showing unyielding support for something that cannot be falsified among them.

I like hillbillyhick quite a bit, but he needs to post quite a bit more before I can say he would be good material for the DH. Hes the only one to really impress me recently though.

RDK

Smash Hero
I actually think GOD! argues fairly well, though he has some pretty glaring flaws in his methods for argumentation. Showing unyielding support for something that cannot be falsified among them.
How is he fairly good at arguing? He posts nothing but one-line cliches with no sources. On top of that, he just repeats my criticisms of him to me.

On the other hand, hillbillyhick seems decent, and on top of that I've seen some of his other posts around the general forums and he's pretty intelligent. Although I do agree that he hasn't shown enough activity in the PG to judge properly.

manhunter098

Smash Lord
How is he fairly good at arguing? He posts nothing but one-line cliches with no sources. On top of that, he just repeats my criticisms of him to me.
Im not just referring to your argument with him, which certainly shows he cannot argue against macroevolution effectively at all (then again denying science its place as a provisional truth is foolish as well). He wouldnt be bad if he could keep his faith from interfering with his logic, but at the very least he could be a lot of fun. :chuckle:

Dont worry though, he is far from getting my nomination, not until he actually is willing to try to debunk the actual research you brought up against him will I even consider changing my judgement, I just think he shows some promise as far as religious debaters go, more than most of them anyways.

RDK

Smash Hero
That's because your arguing about God RDK. That goes no where.
We're not necessarily arguing about god per se; he's arguing about the existence of macroevolution vs microevolution. Which is funny, because you can't have one without the other.

But yes, arguing about god would just be wasted effort, at least in this case.

Im not just referring to your argument with him, which certainly shows he cannot argue against macroevolution effectively at all (then again denying science its place as a provisional truth is foolish as well). He wouldnt be bad if he could keep his faith from interfering with his logic, but at the very least he could be a lot of fun. :chuckle:

Dont worry though, he is far from getting my nomination, not until he actually is willing to try to debunk the actual research you brought up against him will I even consider changing my judgement, I just think he shows some promise as far as religious debaters go, more than most of them anyways.
I can see what you're saying; he is a lot of fun, since we haven't had a dedicated theist debater in quite a while now. However I'd much rather have somebody who is both religious and logical; someone who is interested in answering the big questions, not just someone who is blindly religious and pushes Hovindian creationism.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
Idk, I personally like GOD! because while his thinking isn't logic based like what 90% of DH members believe themselves to be, he does argue with persistence and some reason. His thinking is just more empirically and faith based rather than logic based, so it seems quite erroneous to most of you. I, however, just find that to be a different way of thinking, and find that as a debater, he's still quite decent. I'd like to see him in here if he starts supporting his arguments with more evidence. :)

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
Idk, I personally like GOD! because while his thinking isn't logic based like what 90% of DH members believe themselves to be, he does argue with persistence and some reason. His thinking is just more empirically and faith based rather than logic based, so it seems quite erroneous to most of you. I, however, just find that to be a different way of thinking, and find that as a debater, he's still quite decent. I'd like to see him in here if he starts supporting his arguments with more evidence. :)

I will say this about GOD!: The amount of shi! that comes from his mouth in some recent debates is so appalling, that if we were to let him in, we might as well let BOB SAGET & Hooblah in with all due respect. :p

Just because you argue with persistence doesn't mean you argue and/or debate well.
Just because you think "empirically and faith" based doesn't mean you argue/debate well.
Just because you think differently than other people doesn't mean you argue/debate well.

In his case, he can't debate worth a shi!. :laugh: And with his posts, evidence and him won't be meeting up anytime soon. :chuckle:

Also seems that F1ZZ, TRDS, and Dark Peach don't want in with the easy set up and kill of Hooblah's thread. TP not MP I guess. :ohwell: It only seems that HillBilly seems to be willing to rise up to the challenge.

Also, Omni shows promise, but he needs some more time in the PG. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom