• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Debater Nomination Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Leave them be.
There is no reason you have to nominate them to be in the debate hall. And no one said that you have to confront them. When I was in the PG, I only saw Crimson King on occasion in the PG.
Given, there was no center stage in the PG at my time, but the level of DH activty in other PG threads has sky rocketed as of late.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
The general protocol is to find out where they live and TP their house. Make sure it can't be traced back to you, that way you'll avoid getting a warning or infraction.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
My apologies for being offensive. I will do my best not to let it happen again.

However, I do have a point of inquiry for you and the rest of the brass: What is the best approach for PGers who consistently ****** their level of debating? It seems that nudging them in the right direction doesn't work, it seems that pointing out their logical fallacies doesn't work, nothing seems to work!

So, what should we do when confronted with this?
Stick to the higher level of debating. If you are breaking down the argument, rebutting point by point with sources and asking for citation on their points, then they will either continue failing, and get frustrated, or they will adapt.

If they continuously bring up religion for example, use that as a basis for you next argument, and integrate their point with yours. Be the better debater.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
I think most of the people in the PG are worth a shot in the DH. But I may have a more liberal view of who we should allow posting rights to here.

Right now it's being used as a "Prove that you're worthy of being in the DH" room. Which I find to be a little presumptuous and more than a little restrictive. I think instead it should be a "Prove that you're not completely incompetent" room, at risk of hyperbole.

I don't mind if people aren't well versed in formal logic theory and debating techniques. They can learn all that as they go, especially if we make an effort to teach. We're just trying to have a debate on the Intarnetz, here. We're not trying to build a champion debate team I just care about things like: Intellectual Honesty, Civility, Clarity, Originality, Cohesion, etc...

I'll try to name some specific names later when I get a moment, I think. But for the most part, I would love to let most of the people there into the debates I've been involved with here.

Aesir

Smash Master
Omg I just had an awesome idea and this is mostly due to ALT.

Maybe we should give some temp debaters temp DH status, what this means is for a period of about a month we let PGers like GOD! who think they deserve to be in here. A shot at the actual room.

I present this idea for one huge reason, I wanna see what GOD! and his friend with the H"s (Can't recall his name right now.) are capable of in policy debates, I'm very interested in that, I also think it'll give us a better idea on who to let in.

RDK

Smash Hero
By the looks of his skills (or lack thereof) within the realm of factual debate, I have a hard time believing he'd do any better in a more subjective area such as policy debate.

I'll cosign to Alt's statement about letting people in who seem competent, but I definitely believe there are people in the current batch who have proved to be thoroughly incompetent.

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
I think most of the people in the PG are worth a shot in the DH. But I may have a more liberal view of who we should allow posting rights to here.

Right now it's being used as a "Prove that you're worthy of being in the DH" room. Which I find to be a little presumptuous and more than a little restrictive. I think instead it should be a "Prove that you're not completely incompetent" room, at risk of hyperbole.

I don't mind if people aren't well versed in formal logic theory and debating techniques. They can learn all that as they go, especially if we make an effort to teach. We're just trying to have a debate on the Intarnetz, here. We're not trying to build a champion debate team I just care about things like: Intellectual Honesty, Civility, Clarity, Originality, Cohesion, etc...

I'll try to name some specific names later when I get a moment, I think. But for the most part, I would love to let most of the people there into the debates I've been involved with here.
Omg I just had an awesome idea and this is mostly due to ALT.

Maybe we should give some temp debaters temp DH status, what this means is for a period of about a month we let PGers like GOD! who think they deserve to be in here. A shot at the actual room.

I present this idea for one huge reason, I wanna see what GOD! and his friend with the H"s (Can't recall his name right now.) are capable of in policy debates, I'm very interested in that, I also think it'll give us a better idea on who to let in.
I will have to respectfully disagree.

As someone who had to work his way into the debate hall for six weeks, I find it a little insulting that we are letting in people for what? Just because they aren't incompetent? Please.

Each one of the PGers should take the current route, which is the route I took: Prove that you are worthy of being in the DH. When you start to see your name on the DMT, you're doing good. If not, you may need to improve.

Of course, I will try more to help the PGers (both new and old) along the way.

Aesir

Smash Master

As someone who had to work his way into the debate hall for six weeks, I find it a little insulting that we are letting in people for what? Just because they aren't incompetent? Please.

Each one of the PGers should take the current route, which is the route I took: Prove that you are worthy of being in the DH. When you start to see your name on the DMT, you're doing good. If not, you may need to improve.

Cool story bro.

I suggest you re-read what I said, but because I don't want to come off like a complete jerk I'll elaborate.

They wouldn't be allowed in and allowed to stay in, it would be a temporary status to see how these people who think they're deserving of entering the DH would handle themselves with all of us present. After a certain period of time, say at the end of a month (which is usually the time we decide who gets in and who stays in the PG) we would rule on whether or not any of the temp DHers would be a loud to stay.

I will say GOD! is the only person to have tested my patience enough to the point of wanting to insult. The only other debater who's done that is Kur.

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
Oh...so would PGers be allowed immediately into the DH once applying for membership?

And, who would keep tabs on how long each person has been here?

RDK

Smash Hero
Cool story bro.

I suggest you re-read what I said, but because I don't want to come off like a complete jerk I'll elaborate.

They wouldn't be allowed in and allowed to stay in, it would be a temporary status to see how these people who think they're deserving of entering the DH would handle themselves with all of us present. After a certain period of time, say at the end of a month (which is usually the time we decide who gets in and who stays in the PG) we would rule on whether or not any of the temp DHers would be a loud to stay.

I will say GOD! is the only person to have tested my patience enough to the point of wanting to insult. The only other debater who's done that is Kur.
I liked Kur. :(

Aesir

Smash Master
Oh...so would PGers be allowed immediately into the DH once applying for membership?

And, who would keep tabs on how long each person has been here?
Now at the begining of every monthly cycle, DHers who believe they are ready may be allowed into the main room with a temp status.

It would be completely under the digression of the mods.

This would also help improve activity I think.

I liked Kur. :(
He was like the weirdest person I've ever met. He was like a person from the Christian Right, but he was an atheist it made no sense at all to me.

I didn't like him though, I generally don't like ideologues really. He was a huge Ideologue too.

An example would be an ideologue for progressive politics would be in favor of taxing everything that's bad. Which I think works in some instances but not all. Often times when it comes to taxing I ship jump a lot. I'll side with Libertarians or Progressives.

Like the thread about taxing fattening foods, CK kind of summed up my thoughts completely which is rare because we're like polar opposites fiscally. Though I think if we had a universalized system for health care we could combat obesity a lot better then we do now. By giving doctors an incentive to encourage their patience to eat and live healthier.

I just went majorly off topic lol.

D

Deleted member

All this talk about a lack of competent theists in the debate hall. Have you guys forgotten I believe in a God? I would love to rip Kazoo a new one. There's something about his posts that just irk me the wrong way. I feel like they're being sent in from a cell-phone while he's doing kickflips off vert ramps or something. "Hang ten dudes, here's my debate! WHAT UP!?"

RDK

Smash Hero
All this talk about a lack of competent theists in the debate hall. Have you guys forgotten I believe in a God? I would love to rip Kazoo a new one. There's something about his posts that just irk me the wrong way. I feel like they're being sent in from a cell-phone while he's doing kickflips off vert ramps or something. "Hang ten dudes, here's my debate! WHAT UP!?"
Haha, I swear, you're a mind reader.

Riddle

Smash Lord

I don't know why you keep bringing it up that you were in the PG for 6 weeks. The amount of time you spend in the Proving Grounds doesn't affect how good you are as a debater and it doesn't make you superior to people who spent less or more time. From the time of my first post in the PG to the time I got my pm accepting me into the DH was 19 days. Does that make me better than you? Of course not.

I completely agree with Aesir's idea though. You have not given any reasons why your method is better and the only reason for your opinion from my point of view is that you think that since you had to spend 6 weeks in the PG everyone else should too. If you have a different reason fell free to toell me.

With Aesir's idea we could give PG'ers a chance to prove themselves against actual Debaters for a couple of weeks (on a much larger scale then the Center Stage) and let in the ones that showed themselves to be worthy and put the ones who weren't good enough back in the PG with a waiting period until the next time they would try.

If you haven't noticed when people try to prove themselves they are much more active than the DH vets. I think this would greatly improve the activity levels of the Debate Hall, because it would be easier to prove that you were ready to become a debater, so we would have more debaters, and because there would be people trying to prove themselves in the DH

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
GD, what exactly have I done to you?

I dunno where you get this idea that I'm some arrogant @$$#@t, but that really needs to stop. Unless this is a joke, of course...

I don't know why you keep bringing it up that you were in the PG for 6 weeks. The amount of time you spend in the Proving Grounds doesn't affect how good you are as a debater and it doesn't make you superior to people who spent less or more time. From the time of my first post in the PG to the time I got my pm accepting me into the DH was 19 days. Does that make me better than you? Of course not.

I completely agree with Aesir's idea though. You have not given any reasons why your method is better and the only reason for your opinion from my point of view is that you think that since you had to spend 6 weeks in the PG everyone else should too. If you have a different reason fell free to toell me.

With Aesir's idea we could give PG'ers a chance to prove themselves against actual Debaters for a couple of weeks (on a much larger scale then the Center Stage) and let in the ones that showed themselves to be worthy and put the ones who weren't good enough back in the PG with a waiting period until the next time they would try.

If you haven't noticed when people try to prove themselves they are much more active than the DH vets. I think this would greatly improve the activity levels of the Debate Hall, because it would be easier to prove that you were ready to become a debater, so we would have more debaters, and because there would be people trying to prove themselves in the DH
Let's not put words in my mouth here...I simply said that we shouldn't be letting people in that early, that's all.

Think of the entire DH as football, for instance. The PG is like college football, where every sharpens and hones their skills with hopes of going to the big leagues. The DH is like the NFL, were only the best of the best can compete in debating.

While I don't deny that I may have had some reservations in being in the PG for as long as I was, I wouldn't change a thing about it. That amount of time gave me ample opportunity to work on the content of my threads & respond to posts more efficiently. I don't say that everyone should be in the PG for six weeks, but letting them into the DH isn't the best idea either IMHO.

Rather, we should do this with the CS: When a PGer feels ready, they post up their best work to the CS as usual. When one of us sees it, we critically assess each of their posts and give an up or down vote on nominating said person. If there are enough yays, then that person is nominated.

D

Deleted member

Riddle, stick to one god**** font colour, lmao.

Kazoo you didn't do anything your posts just bug me

D

Deleted member

If I knew, don't you think I would abuse my eloquence and tell you off? Just keep posting the way you do and it'll come to me. Also, keep posting the way you do about religion and I'll come running.

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
If I knew, don't you think I would abuse my eloquence and tell you off? Just keep posting the way you do and it'll come to me. Also, keep posting the way you do about religion and I'll come running.
Don't beat around the bush, homes. I'm a grown man--I can take it.

I would gladly like to know what posts I have made that you deem offensive. If there are none, then
shut the **** up and have a nice day. :)

D

Deleted member

You were just let into the debate hall and your posts are 10x more obnoxious than RDK's. You need some humility. And btw, I ain't your "homes", broslice.

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
I am really gonna need to see some links on where you deem me offensive. Cause right now there's just a whole lotta flapping your lips with no substaniation.

And if you somehow don't consider me to be humble, I would recommend you look @ my work in the PG, especially my piece on whether or not we should have the CS in the first place.

Riddle

Smash Lord
Lol sorry Delorted. My old font color was hard to read and my blue one was stolen by Omni (his was very similar). This will stay the same unless someone has one that is too similar.

Mewter

Smash Master
Lol sorry Delorted. My old font color was hard to read and my blue one was stolen by Omni (his was very similar). This will stay the same unless someone has one that is too similar.
Riddle, you have made an error...
A deep, unjustifi-
Just kidding. My DA was this color. You can keep yours.
/permissiongranted :bee:

No offense Kazoo, but Delorted's right in some ways.
Your posts can seem a bit offensive, sometimes.
And you have come up with a new thread sort of attacking the more commonly found topic of threads in the DH, now, which I pretty saw no real reason for creating.

Not to mention comments like this that can be a bit trying for the nerves.
Sorry, Kazoo, but I have to go with Delorted on this. :ohwell:

Source.

RDK

Smash Hero
The blatant trolling continues. Oh the humanity!

Just for laughs, I've compiled a simple algorithm that allows me to predict, allowing for a small margin of error, every single response GOD! can possibly cook up in reply to a post about science and intelligent design creationism. Take a gander!

Pick one of these:

a) Hitler used evolution to kill Jews
b) Some people accept evolution; some people don't; the same with intelligent design
c) No evidence in the fossil record supports evolution
d) There should be billions of transitional fossils, but nobody has found even one
e) I want to become a biology major
Together with one of these:

1) therefore evolution is wrong
2) therefore RDK shouldn't even be in the Debate Hall
3) and this is like the 6th time I've asked for specific evidence / examples
Join the two together and you have the entirety of GOD!'s contribution to the PG. :)

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
So, mentioning to CK (and every one else in the PG) that debating on the MK ban doesn't improve on our debating skills and is also a moot point makes me offensive because...

And you have come up with a new thread sort of attacking the more commonly found topic of threads in the DH, now, which I pretty saw no real reason for creating.
Unless you looked at this, in which you'll find out I was trying to help Οmnicron with his debating skills. But you didn't read that, did you?

Source.
Way to step it up with posting two links I haven't posted in!

Homes,

Mewter

Smash Master
So, mentioning to CK (and every one else in the PG) that debating on the MK ban doesn't improve on our debating skills and is also a moot point makes me offensive because...
It doesn't matter what you said, it's how you said it. You could have just nicely suggested that it be closed. You didn't have to put everything in spoilers and cause a small scene. You know what I mean?
Hey look, it rhymes!

Unless you looked at this, in which you'll find out I was trying to help Οmnicron with his debating skills. But you didn't read that, did you?
Heh. No, I didn't know that you meant you actually wanted to help him by creating an entirely new thread. It just seemed that there were already too many topics on religion, and you just wanted to make an extra one for no reason.
Sorry about that, Kazoo. My mistake. :)

Way to step it up with posting two links I haven't posted in!

Homes,

How did you not post in the first one? You had posted about three times on that page! Though, some your posts (while helpful, and some clearly and indisputably so) have a type of blatantly insult-like qualities to them. Like this post, for example:
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=8210936&postcount=143
That's the one I meant when I posted the first link. Sorry I didn't specify. Anyways, just like what I first said. It's not what you said, it's how you said it.

As for the latter, that was supposed to be a joke about how I got my sources from Smashboards. Your post (especially the picture) made me lol... hard. I can't take you seriously when looking at that picture.:chuckle:

This turned into a debate! :laugh:

Riddle

Smash Lord
Riddle, you have made an error...
A deep, unjustifi-
Just kidding. My DA was this color. You can keep yours.
/permissiongranted :bee:

Source.

<3 Mewter. Are we friends? I'm gonna friend you if we are not.

Let's everyone just be friends everyone.

Kazoo, the best way to raise people's opinions of you is listening. Their advice is usually pretty good if they are debaters. Show some some humility, don't respond with more insults attacks.

RDK, seriously constructive criticism insults and personal attacks won't get you anywhere. And if GOD! doesn't improve as a debater then just don't nominate him. Its as simple as that!!!

I love every1 here except CK (lol jk, don't ban me pl0x, you are my favorite mod) and I hope we can debate respectfully and well.
We need a social thread. (pretty please with sugar on top)

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
It doesn't matter what you said, it's how you said it. You could have just nicely suggested that it be closed. You didn't have to put everything in spoilers and cause a small scene. You know what I mean?
Hey look, it rhymes!
I did ask nicely...I looked back on my first post and found out this was the case.

Heh. No, I didn't know that you meant you actually wanted to help him by creating an entirely new thread. It just seemed that there were already too many topics on religion, and you just wanted to make an extra one for no reason.
Sorry about that, Kazoo. My mistake. :)
These things happen...

How did you not post in the first one? You had posted about three times on that page! Though, some your posts (while helpful, and some clearly and indisputably so) have a type of blatantly insult-like qualities to them. Like this post, for example:
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=8210936&postcount=143
That's the one I meant when I posted the first link. Sorry I didn't specify. Anyways, just like what I first said. It's not what you said, it's how you said it.
There comes a point when you read some PG posts and repeatedly headdesk yourself into a concussion with the amount of stupid that emanates from them. As such, I didn't feel I needed to mince words with Hooblah when telling him this fact: The fact that Hooblah even thinks he can somehow make it into the DH was pretty funny...

If this somehow makes me offensive, my apologies. I won't own the YEC so hard next time. :laugh:

As for the latter, that was supposed to be a joke about how I got my sources from Smashboards. Your post (especially the picture) made me lol... hard. I can't take you seriously when looking at that picture.:chuckle:

This turned into a debate! :laugh:
What a kneeslapper! :bee:

Kazoo, the best way to raise people's opinions of you is listening. Their advice is usually pretty good if they are debaters. Show some some humility, don't respond with more insults attacks.

I love every1 here except CK (lol jk, don't ban me pl0x, you are my favorite mod) and I hope we can debate respectfully and well.
Spell my name right, homes.

I listen to all criticism that those may have of me...however, I don't get this image that I am not humble. It's as if I was this arrogant even when you let me in from the DH...only that that isn't true.

If owning someone's rebuttal in a sardonic way makes me arrogant, then I guess I wouldn't be humble then. What say you?

Oh, and the social thread thing died out a few weeks ago in the DMT methinks. Check back there for more...

Riddle

Smash Lord
I did ask nicely...I looked back on my first post and found out this was the case.

These things happen...

There comes a point when you read some PG posts and repeatedly headdesk yourself into a concussion with the amount of stupid that emanates from them. As such, I didn't feel I needed to mince words with Hooblah when telling him this fact: The fact that Hooblah even thinks he can somehow make it into the DH was pretty funny...

If this somehow makes me offensive, my apologies. I won't own the YEC so hard next time. :laugh:

What a kneeslapper! :bee:

Spell my name right, homes.

I listen to all criticism that those may have of me...however, I don't get this image that I am not humble. It's as if I was this arrogant even when you let me in from the DH...only that that isn't true.

If owning someone's rebuttal in a sardonic way makes me arrogant, then I guess I wouldn't be humble then. What say you?

Oh, and the social thread thing died out a few weeks ago in the DMT methinks. Check back there for more...
Sorry I spelled your name wrong. I will go fix it after I reply.

You were not this arrogant in the PG its started now that you are in. Yes owning someone's rebuttal sardonically is arrogant in my opinion, try respect now and again. It makes you look much more mature and people will take your 'ownage' more seriously.

DMT?

Aesir

Smash Master

<3 Mewter. Are we friends? I'm gonna friend you if we are not.

Let's everyone just be friends everyone.

RDK, seriously constructive criticism insults and personal attacks won't get you anywhere. And if GOD! doesn't improve as a debater then just don't nominate him. Its as simple as that!!!

OUr social thread is like the Pool Room.

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master

This is why I sometimes lose respect for some PGers (fortunately, this has occurred very few times).

If you notice, there aren't very many times I will get an acerbic tongue on any PGer. In fact, some of them are my home slices (TRDS, toondiddy, and so forth). However, when you try to be respectful on repeated occasions (like I have with Hooblah) and it doesn't work, sometimes a more...direct approach is fitting for them.

Sorry I spelled your name wrong. I will go fix it after I reply.

You were not this arrogant in the PG its started now that you are in. Yes owning someone's rebuttal sardonically is arrogant in my opinion, try respect now and again. It makes you look much more mature and people will take your 'ownage' more seriously.

DMT?
Sorry, meant DNT. My apologies.

If replying sardonically is prohibited by the brass, then I will be the first person to stop it. Again, I don't do it very often, only for people who don't reply to rebuttals appropriately or use "Goddunit" as a reply. (Here's looking @ you, Hooblah!).

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
As someone who will go unnamed pointed out, this topic has turned into the exact opposite of what I wanted the DH to be.

I guess we will do nominations a new way. Read the PG for new blood. If you have anyone you want to suggest that goes up, tell me, and I'll create a poll or something. At the same time, I will be watching the PG for the sake of things, and choosing people as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom