• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

death

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
Good **** for coming up with such a good system. I've been looking at the file you sent me and this is REALLY legit.

Also, Cyrain, just come. Support your community brah!!!!!! <3

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Will Sypher's basement be able to hold so many people haha

O god Corneria legal for doubles
Modified DSR for best of 5 sets please ...

Also this like super rewards attendance
I guess that's like, kinda the point ... but ... :\

I kinda think that average points per tournament after you attend a certain number of tournaments would be more accurate

Under this system I'd be higher ranked than Cyrain if I attended every tournament and got 13th whereas Cyrain attends 1 tournament and gets first

Also I believe attendance should considered for placement points ... if it's how it is in the first post then a 13 man tournament would give the last player like 20some points ... and the same would result for like, a 100 person tournament ... just doesn't seem legit <.<

Maybe have every person entered count for a point and distribute points (somehow) between top 16 or something like that

I think the general idea is great and I want to thank Sypher for taking the initiative to start something like this, but I think the specifics need to be ironed out (preferably before the first tournament on April 30)

SypherPhoenix

Smash Lord
Wenbo, the reason these are announced so far in advance is so that people can clear their plans to go to these, making sure that they aren't just random 10-man tournaments. The point of this system is to create an objective list based on numbers rather than opinions. If you want to rise on the list, just place better in tournament.

By the way, it's purposefully designed so that you get rewarded for showing up for tournaments, and penalized for missing them.

I'd be doing an Elo system, but we use double elimination brackets and the smash community is incosistent and lazy.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Well it's your ranking project so I guess you can do as you like ... I just don't think having attendance rank so highly is something you want when presumably you're trying to measure skill.

Also I still think you should have some way to factor attendance ... if we had something like Pound for example count I think that should have more weight than a regional. Or if something unexpected crops up for a lot of people or something and no one shows up

How does double elim screw up ELO ratings o.O

SypherPhoenix

Smash Lord
How exactly do doubles affect the PR?
They don't. Doubles partners play for honor, don't you know?

I'd just like to know how you came up with the point distribution.
lol, well, when I originally had the idea for this PR, I had some other randomly picked numbers. 50/30/20/15 or something along those lines. I knew these numbers needed to be revised somehow, specifically when it came to the relation between the differences in points awarded and the differences between the skill of the players. If all of MDVA were to show up, would the skill difference between first and second placers really be that far apart? I realized what I had was something akin to Mario Kart 64, where first place would get 10 points, 2nd 5 points, 3rd 2 points, and 4th 1 point. 5-8 would get no points at all regardless of the fact that they might have outperformed someone.

I started looking at other racing games that gave out points for placement, and saw how often times the differences between places weren't that big, at least not compared to MK64. I did a bunch of pretend MDVA tournaments with different brackets; some slight upsets, others completely expected. After I had the results I applied different point distributions to them and looked at the correlation of placement in the tournament to placement on the point totals list. I used numbers from a bunch of different individual games, I tried averaging a few, and a lot of other junk. I messed with the numbers a bunch of settled on this series.

The Upholder

Smash Journeyman
OMG OMGOMG POWER RANKINGS I SHOULD COME

AND PLAY FOX

but I won't lololol

or will I?

Maybe I am working on character so dastardly, so devious, that even I have yet to realize what that character is.

Also I will bring a recording setup. and never post the videos.

ever.

eeeeeveeeeeeerrrrrrrr

Cyrain

Smash Ace
It's looking somewhat likely that I'll be coming to this with a surprise rapist for a teammate
And possibly two Team Richmond up and comers
And maybe Milkman if he's interested

Unfortunately my family needs my help with carpet removal and moving all the furniture around that weekend and I haven't gotten the 100% on getting off of work. I'd give it a 70% chance of working out so far. Yeeeee.

SypherPhoenix

Smash Lord
Also, care to explain that part?

Ratings should work fine for a double elim bracket, and laziness doesn't affect it either.
An Elo system would be far more time consuming if you were to handle score deprecation like I want to. Not to mention that it can take a long time to put into place with accuracy; If I were to run a tournament every month and wait until after the 10th tournament for ratings to stop being provisional, we wouldn't have a power ranking until February of next year.

Obviously an Elo system would be preferable but players just aren't available to drive two or three hours every weekend to expedite the process.

SypherPhoenix

Smash Lord
That specific tournament wouldn't work too well. It's way too close in date to this upcoming one. I was thinking the next one should be on either June 4th or June 11th depending on people's schedules.
That's an invitation for everyone to chime in.

After people respond you can go ahead and host one of yours as the next circuit event. You'd have to use circuit rules though, and you'd have to send me or upload a bracket that I can get on my computer.

Speaking of TOs, other potential hosts are Redd, The Crimson Blur, and CP. I've already talked to Chival and CTL about the circuit, and I know Redd would be able to host if he was able to secure a venue (the one he has is on the fence for hosting). I'll have to contact TCB about hosting, as he only mentioned that he might want to over the summer.

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
That specific tournament wouldn't work too well. It's way too close in date to this upcoming one. I was thinking the next one should be on either June 4th or June 11th depending on people's schedules.
That's an invitation for everyone to chime in.

After people respond you can go ahead and host one of yours as the next circuit event. You'd have to use circuit rules though, and you'd have to send me or upload a bracket that I can get on my computer.

Speaking of TOs, other potential hosts are Redd, The Crimson Blur, and CP. I've already talked to Chival and CTL about the circuit, and I know Redd would be able to host if he was able to secure a venue (the one he has is on the fence for hosting). I'll have to contact TCB about hosting, as he only mentioned that he might want to over the summer.

Yeah, I don't think my old house is going to work because they just put in new flooring and **** so I think I'm just going to look around for venues. You'd be surprised what you can find. I'll post any news in here.

SypherPhoenix

Smash Lord
Sigh. This isn't going to work if I'm the only host...

This community has basically devolved into not smashing on weekends I don't host. Chu has been holding fests at his place every now and then, and Chillin has his venue, but neither of them would be able to comfortably hold the usual crowd I attract.

Someone needs to step up or find a venue or SOMETHING, lest this community die after I go away for college.

CTL17

Smash Lord
College Park needs to find a venue.
We were planning to use Shell Shocked as part of the circuit, except arrgh.
Since the first event was pretty much the end of our semester, we didn't really have any time for an official SS anyway. That aside, we should be able to get a venue for the fall. As far as the summer goes, half of us aren't here, hence the lack of activity.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
Sypher, my basement has room for around 70-80 people and 30 setups. I have a big screen CRT TV which can be used for GFs, as well as a projector. My internet would be able to run a really good stream, and everything is clean and nice. Its about the size of Toy Wiz (the Revival of Melee venue). Probably about 3.5x the size of your basement.

Those are the pros. The cons are that my parents wouldn't want to do it without a 7 dollar venue fee. Thats a pretty big con, so I don't know if its worth it. I'd probably only get 20-30 people because of that price, which would be the same as if you (Sypher) were hosting.

Also, I'd require a lot of help, especially for the first event. I'd need someone for livestream and commentary, someone (hopefully multiple people) for videos/uploading, and someone to help me run everything. I'd also need people to bring a lot of setups, because I only have like 3 lol.

Basically, it is within my power to revitalize the state of this region. If the first event goes well, I'd invest in getting CRTs off craigslist, and we could legitimately have regional tournaments. But I don't know if our community is big enough to make the jump to the larger venue, or if people are receptive to the idea of a venue fee for regionals. Ideally, my events would run once a month, while Sypher's would stay biweekly, so we'd have 3 tournaments a month with a week off on weekends with larger OOS events (APEX, ROM, etc).

I really want everyones input on this, its sort of a big deal. So, Richmond, College Park, NoVa, West MD, everybody.

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
If you can make it 5 or even 3, it wouldn't be that bad. 7 is kinda awkward. And tbh kinda greedy lol given how much that would end up being. I love the idea but that is going to kill it unless you can get it to be at least 5.

I'd livestream and bring a setup.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
If you can make it 5 or even 3, it wouldn't be that bad. 7 is kinda awkward. And tbh kinda greedy lol given how much that would end up being. I love the idea but that is going to kill it unless you can get it to be at least 5.

I'd livestream and bring a setup.
My parents are both teachers, and spend weekends using my house for their tutoring sessions. Their going rate is between $75-90 a session. They usually have 5 or 6 tutoring sessions each day for each of them (so about 10-12 total), so you can imagine how much they make every weekend (750-1080 a day). If I hold these events, they wouldn't be able to tutor those weekends, so they want some compensation.

I really doubt I can get it lower than 7. If we magically get 50 people, they'd be getting 350 from venue fee, which is a minimum 400 dollar loss compared to tutoring.

chillindude829

Smash Master
wait a sec, as big as the RoM venue?!? $10 venue fee would be fine if everythings as u described it. why not $10 venue fee and maybe order pizza for everyone or something? thatd be legit

TCB id be very interested in helping out if u decide to host events

$7 venue fee shouldn't be anything to worry about. Your basement is really good, as in
Sypher, my basement has room for around 70-80 people and 30 setups. I have a big screen CRT TV which can be used for GFs, as well as a projector. My internet would be able to run a really good stream, and everything is clean and nice. Its about the size of Toy Wiz (the Revival of Melee venue). Probably about 3.5x the size of your basement.
really good. I really don't think $7 is anything to complain about

Also, I'd require a lot of help, especially for the first event. I'd need someone for livestream and commentary, someone (hopefully multiple people) for videos/uploading, and someone to help me run everything. I'd also need people to bring a lot of setups, because I only have like 3 lol.
I've got youtube recording covered. Plus Hot$ and Winston/Wenbo can help out too. I also have 3 TVs (2 small, 1 medium size) plus 2 Wiis and a GameCube (but only 2 game disks). Sypher, can you hack my Wii so I can play backup GameCube games?

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
TCB, where is your house located? Charlottesville is about 4hrs away from Charleston (where i'm at during summers), so that's good enough driving distance for me if the tourney gets large. Vienna is a little too far during the summer, but it's actually closer (little less than 4hrs) during the school year, so depending on where you'll be and where i'll be, I might actually be able to come to a couple of these if you host them regularly.

And honestly, the only problem I'd have with a $7 venue fee is that it's just so weird lol. $5 is so much more convenient or, like Chillin said, $10 + ordering pizza would be legit too.

The MD/VA scene could definitely thrive so I'm hoping everything works out, and I really hope I can attend a few (circuit) tournaments as well (Shell Shockeds during the school year is a definite)

SypherPhoenix

Smash Lord
Crimson, a $10 venue fee would probably be preferable for most people. Not to mention, you shouldn't make your parents think this is a waste of time. I can help with some TVs and cubes and with organization/tournament stuff. I can basically run this thing for you if you want.

So, can you host on July 16th for the circuit?

You should host a smashfest sometime so I can show up and figure the organization out with you.

Top Bottom