• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dear MD/VA melee scene: Step it the **** up!

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
As member of the official hype crew of MD/VA, I approve of this message.

However, I won't believe this **** until I see it. I'm not even sure how many of you genuinely see region success as your own. There is virtually no emphasis on new player development, and our support of the established and rising players is next to none.

If Plank leaves (hopefully not), his tournament series goes with him. No more nationals in our backyard every year. I don't think any of us fully realize how terrifying a future we are headed towards if we maintain this current route. With no tournaments to play for (unfortunately sypher's aren't enough to keep this scene running) and with every player as an island, people WILL quit.

If you are shy to cheer just bring me over. I'm ****ing shameless. I'll cheer with you.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
^ I'm half convinced at this point that none of us at UMCP will ever be good. For various reasons
This is the sort of mentality that'll keep you at a lower level forever. You can't think like that. Do you know how far I'VE come?! I used to be the WORST player in this game. You should have seen me back in 07. Dear god, I could barely L cancel consistently. And then when I switched to maining Falcon around April of 08 I CONSTANTLY messed up the simplest things, like stomp knee. Eventually I became a force to reckon with...in friendlies, and then in tournaments I would just F every damn thing up. I'd get the most complex combos, and then miss the easiest knees to finish it, I still do that today.

The point is, confidence has got to be there (not arrogance, I hate all you cocky mother ****ers out there and you deserve to die horrible deaths). You've just got to play your best and see where it takes you, and then to challenge that every time you play. You guys at CP are already leagues ahead of where I was 2 years ago, there's no goddamn excuse. You all could be **** in 6 months if you wanted to. Stop holding yourselves back, it's pathetic.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
Nah, you're too late, Seb.

No drive = no worth.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Love ya too broseph

Go back to brwal Steve <3

Chris, there was no way any of us could have predicted that lesbo ***** RA would have spotted three beer cans when she never came by before. Must be a sixth sense all lesbo *****es share. It's why they're the RAs, they don't look for **** they look for beer cans.

CTL17

Smash Lord
I told you guys to keep them hidden, not to have them in sight of lesbians. Regardless, I blame myself as much as you guys for even letting Mike bring them in. It's just this started a chain of rather unfortunate events that's hurting CP's smash scene quite a bit.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
This is the sort of mentality that'll keep you at a lower level forever. You can't think like that. Do you know how far I'VE come?! I used to be the WORST player in this game. You should have seen me back in 07. Dear god, I could barely L cancel consistently. And then when I switched to maining Falcon around April of 08 I CONSTANTLY messed up the simplest things, like stomp knee. Eventually I became a force to reckon with...in friendlies, and then in tournaments I would just F every damn thing up. I'd get the most complex combos, and then miss the easiest knees to finish it, I still do that today.

The point is, confidence has got to be there (not arrogance, I hate all you cocky mother ****ers out there and you deserve to die horrible deaths). You've just got to play your best and see where it takes you, and then to challenge that every time you play. You guys at CP are already leagues ahead of where I was 2 years ago, there's no goddamn excuse. You all could be **** in 6 months if you wanted to. Stop holding yourselves back, it's pathetic.
You think I don't know I have a ****ty attitude? That's EXACTLY why I know I won't be good ever.

And anyway, I don't have a confidence problem the way you might think. I don't go into matches thinking "this guy is better than me, I'm going to lose". I only think that about Chillin/Redd/Tope/Cyrain and I haven't played any of them in like a year (or ever, in Tope/Redd's case).

I go into matches thinking "I hope I can wavedash when I want to".

What I need to do is either switch mains for serious or learn to wavedash with X+R. I've been trying to avoid the second option for as long as possible since I always thought eventually with enough practice I'd be okay, and I really don't want to start over. But it's like 6 months later and I still have the same problem - some days I'm very consistent but others I'm very inconsistent. I've put off making that decision for now, and I'll continue as I have been for a while longer, but I think one of those two things has to happen for me to get good.

here's what I think about the rest of the guys at CP:

Joe, you like to talk optimistically on smashboards, but you john just as much as I do. It's either they camped you, or you messed up tech skill, or you never get practice in the matchup, or they have a gay high risk high reward style and they got lucky guesses, or it's Luigi, or etc. If you honestly plan on becoming a top player in the region none of that should matter to you.

Wenbo's mentality is fine. His biggest problem is that whenever he plays Falcon he wants to play Fox, and whenever he plays Fox he wants to play Falcon. He could definitely get somewhere, assuming he was able to commit to one and really start understanding the character and mastering their punishment game.

Chris obviously has potential. His problem is he doesn't like his tournament main (Jigglypuff), and it's pretty much impossible to improve in that situation. I know from experience, haha. His falcon is good, but he doesn't enjoy playing patiently which kind of makes maining falcon not viable.

Wenz doesn't like taking advice, and johns just as much as me or Joe.

Uhh, yeah, that's about it. I'm not sure why I decided to be so antagonistic today. But those are my honest and thought-out opinions; not just some random pessimism. People always talk about confidence and optimism and etc. but I think these are very real issues that need to be addressed if any of us actually plan on getting better and not just say we will someday.

tl;dr I'm bad, but I think I'm good, but I know I'm bad

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
X +R is raaaaaaaape. Except for doubleshines, but those are slowly happening. =D I did 9 yesterday.

I would switch asap, I know it'll suck for a while but in the long run I think X + R is great for Luigi.

I'm actually worried some of you might lose to Omni lol... after the whole CK ****** everyone all day thing happened haha.

Omni

BRoomer
I use X+R. Learning how to wavedash perfectly with Fox was HARD (for waveshine into up-smash against Marth).

Winston, there are two levels of training to wavedash (or any tech):

- By yourself with no pressure
- In matches with pressure

Literally, the only thing you can do is keep your Cube/Wii on and everyday when you're leisurely not doing much practice. Over, and over, and over, and over, and over. It's like learning how to whistle. Once you find the perfect rhythm and the perfect timing you can't unlearn it.

Just keep practicing. Especially by yourself. If it's taking 6 months you probably aren't putting enough time into it at one time.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
X +R is raaaaaaaape. Except for doubleshines, but those are slowly happening. =D I did 9 yesterday.

I would switch asap, I know it'll suck for a while but in the long run I think X + R is great for Luigi.

I'm actually worried some of you might lose to Omni lol... after the whole CK ****** everyone all day thing happened haha.
CK didn't **** everyone...

Our set went to game 5, and he lost to thumbs/vist. Unless you're not talking about Graphix

I'd probably lose to Omni. Who does he play? If its like fox or something then probably yeah.

And ugh... I need a working R button first -__-

I was pretty happy with my tech skill for a while, and then my L button broke. We switched the buttons so currently it's R that doesn't work. I'd use both though, if I started using X+R

@ Omni: I should have been clearer with my post:

I didn't start going to tournaments 6 months ago. What I meant was 6 months ago I decided to practice tech skill alone regularly, instead of just relying on playing friendlies for training.

Omni

BRoomer
I use to be a Fox main, but I switched to Sheik very late. I consider myself a Sheik main, tho', but my Fox is still ******** good.

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
CK didn't **** everyone...

Our set went to game 5, and he lost to thumbs/vist. Unless you're not talking about Graphix

I'd probably lose to Omni. Who does he play? If its like fox or something then probably yeah.

And ugh... I need a working R button first -__-

I was pretty happy with my tech skill for a while, and then my L button broke. We switched the buttons so currently it's R that doesn't work. I'd use both though, if I started using X+R

@ Omni: I should have been clearer with my post:

I didn't start going to tournaments 6 months ago. What I meant was 6 months ago I decided to practice tech skill alone regularly, instead of just relying on playing friendlies for training.
Right, yeah. A lot of tech skill practice in the beginning goes a LONGGGG way though.

Lobos

Smash Master

This is the guy who got 3 stocked by my link :awesome:

BigWenz

Smash Ace
winston i rarely john in actual tourny matches. and i am open to advice, why do you think i went to redd n chillens over winter break. so i could absorb all the advice i could get from them. Theirs nothing wrong with saying what ur bad at. For example, i suck *** vs peach. I have a bad habit of crouch cancelling almost everything and i get ***** for it against peach. THis isnt a john this is just a fact of life. I need to get better at it and im working on it.
But w/e if u think i john alot tahts ur opinion but either way i will get better and become a top player sooner or later.

also X+R is how i wavedash i dont know how to do it any other way. in fact i dont use Y period. and i only use L to shield so i can wavedash OOS with X+R.

CTL17

Smash Lord
Wenz will take advice from good people. We suck too much.

I am capable of playing patiently, it's just that in friendlies I want to take advantage of the time and try to get as much practice (that isn't waiting) out of the way. Reminds me of when I used to play Bawrl and some guy would practice timing others out. Granted, this guy is like the kids who like to play Hyrule to maximize their playtime, but I'd rather get a lot done in little time than get little done in a lot of time.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
lol Winston, relearn everything? Wavedashing is easy. Put your mind to it and you could get everything down in a couple of weeks. If you honestly think it will help you then I don't see why you shouldn't go for it. I always wondered how you managed to play so well with control stick in the first place.

here's what I think about the rest of the guys at CP:

Joe, you like to talk optimistically on smashboards, but you john just as much as I do. It's either they camped you, or you messed up tech skill, or you never get practice in the matchup, or they have a gay high risk high reward style and they got lucky guesses, or it's Luigi, or etc. If you honestly plan on becoming a top player in the region none of that should matter to you.

Wenbo's mentality is fine. His biggest problem is that whenever he plays Falcon he wants to play Fox, and whenever he plays Fox he wants to play Falcon. He could definitely get somewhere, assuming he was able to commit to one and really start understanding the character and mastering their punishment game.

Chris obviously has potential. His problem is he doesn't like his tournament main (Jigglypuff), and it's pretty much impossible to improve in that situation. I know from experience, haha. His falcon is good, but he doesn't enjoy playing patiently which kind of makes maining falcon not viable.

Wenz doesn't like taking advice, and johns just as much as me or Joe.
Putting aside the pessimism, this is the **** that helps people get better. Good **** Winston.

But the pessimism is natural. Do you think Dr.PP never had moments when he didn't think he could do it? When he thought he had hit a plateau and didn't know how to get out of that rut? Remember the stonecutter credo:

“When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred and first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not that blow that did it, but all that had gone before.” -Jacob Riis

You just gotta keep pounding that rock.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Whenever Joe and Wenzel go on johning sprees in friendlies I either start getting vaguely annoyed after a while or I just start perversely enjoying cheaping them out

I should like flip a coin or some ****
Whatever Tec0 has like 3 mains I can have 2 right :awesome:

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
At least I'm trying to work on my attitude instead of throwing my hands up in defeat. ;)

Chris, there was no way any of us could have predicted that lesbo ***** RA would have spotted three beer cans when she never came by before. Must be a sixth sense all lesbo *****es share. It's why they're the RAs, they don't look for **** they look for beer cans.
LOL.

Don't let the smooth taste fool you. All I need is a week to train and I'll be passing out Morton's containers for everyone to keep their salt in.
Dat Omni. :awesome:

CTL17

Smash Lord
Whenever Joe and Wenzel go on johning sprees in friendlies I either start getting vaguely annoyed after a while or I just start perversely enjoying cheaping them out

I should like flip a coin or some ****
Whatever Tec0 has like 3 mains I can have 2 right :awesome:
Hey, I do that too, somewhat. Johning sprees usually result in continuous johning sprees.

If I keep playing the way I do, I'm going to have three mains too.

Top Bottom