• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dear MD/VA melee scene: Step it the **** up!

thumbswayup

Smash Master
I cheer for my fellow md/va ers whenever I am by them as they play tourny. Sometimes I voice it and sometimes I just stand back and watch, occasionally rooting them on. It feels awkward to yell and cheer someone on when you're the only one doing it (done it plenty before, but it's hella weird). We need to get like a group of people to cheer everyone on at the same time. Plus we need a slogan, a catch phrase, a chant. Something catchier and more noticable than "stack it up"

Lobos

Smash Master
stack it up is stupid and old

no catch phase is needed.....just yell slanderous things at people

Bones0

Smash Legend
Idk about you, but I was SCREAMING "Stack it Up" for PP at Pound. Even if a catch phrase isn't need, it would certainly help in making cheering less awkward.

Also for teh lulz:

xMilkMan

Smash Cadet
I'm sorry that NOVA and Md scenes are falling apart, but the richmond smash scene is growing quite nicely. I'm about to be able to host tournaments here regularly at a nice venue. The only venue fee is a fund so that people will be compensated for bringing tvs and so that I can buy some more tvs for the venue.

I'm a new player from Richmond and noticed there aren't really any close by events. If these are going to start happening in Richmond I would definitely go and be willing to pay whatever to get a consistent smashfest up and running, since I have nobody to play with at the moment =/

BigWenz

Smash Ace
1) LMAO @ issue number 4.

2) some really interesting points in here.

but you right we do need to help each other get better. i mean chillen offered to hold smashfest during most peopels winter break to get better for p5 and only me n redd showed up.(winston and wenbo showed up once). for me it was an awesome time since
A) i suck at this game while redd n chillen do work so it helped me get alot better i feel by getting my **** rocked by them on the regular.
B) sparkin up is always fun with redd n chillen haha.

also im always down to hang. once i turn 21 in december if anyone wants to go parting in DC im down.

as for the cheering thing i mean we all cant be as ignorant/awesome as everlastying yayuz is at cheering haha but u right we can step it up. i mean i can be more loud slightly ignorant and cheer if need be(see the crew battle from this past graphix when mooseeatsbear gets around to uploading it lol) but i got the vibe from alot of MD/VA players that tehy prefer quietness during the matches hence why i never cheer during tournies for them.

but yea hopefully we will be able to get shell shock's running again. but we at CP hold smashfest usually everyfriday and so does sypher usually so you have options.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I'm a new player from Richmond and noticed there aren't really any close by events. If these are going to start happening in Richmond I would definitely go and be willing to pay whatever to get a consistent smashfest up and running, since I have nobody to play with at the moment =/
PM Tope and Cyrain
I'm sure they've got to Smash together at some point right

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
1) LMAO @ issue number 4.

2) some really interesting points in here.

but you right we do need to help each other get better. i mean chillen offered to hold smashfest during most peopels winter break to get better for p5 and only me n redd showed up.(winston and wenbo showed up once). for me it was an awesome time since
A) i suck at this game while redd n chillen do work so it helped me get alot better i feel by getting my **** rocked by them on the regular.
B) sparkin up is always fun with redd n chillen haha.

also im always down to hang. once i turn 21 in december if anyone wants to go parting in DC im down.

as for the cheering thing i mean we all cant be as ignorant/awesome as everlastying yayuz is at cheering haha but u right we can step it up. i mean i can be more loud slightly ignorant and cheer if need be(see the crew battle from this past graphix when mooseeatsbear gets around to uploading it lol) but i got the vibe from alot of MD/VA players that tehy prefer quietness during the matches hence why i never cheer during tournies for them.

but yea hopefully we will be able to get shell shock's running again. but we at CP hold smashfest usually everyfriday and so does sypher usually so you have options.
**** them LOOOOOL, do it. I will also try to be more loud and ignorant as well haha.

Pretty much agree with that whole post. Me and Chillin played probably 20 times over break and Wenz was the only regular attendee. No hype, those sessions are why I did well at P5. I'm home and want to do more of those. Is CP having a smashfest friday? Oh and sparkin' up def. necessary lol... **** son.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I don't think my parents look at this game as a social activity (i.e. I always get the feeling my dad is disappointed every time I tell him I go to these ~_~)

I'd have a hard time convincing them to let me go regularly even if you guys lived closer :\ it's like an hour+ drive for me haha

Winston still needs to learn how to drive

BigWenz

Smash Ace
I don't think my parents look at this game as a social activity (i.e. I always get the feeling my dad is disappointed every time I tell him I go to these ~_~)

I'd have a hard time convincing them to let me go regularly even if you guys lived closer :\ it's like an hour+ drive for me haha

Winston still needs to learn how to drive
dem asian parents lolol. also yes winston does need to learn how to drive.

i mean if u cant come to us all the time if u got the room id go up their to smash sometimes.

but the point is as a whole their were opportunities and many people didn take advantage of them and we need to take advantage of them.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Winston had a couple smashfests at his house with the Oldlyweds and Vist and maybe a few more of the MD regulars (Thumbs and skyheart maybe)

I'm surprised NoVA wasn't all over Chillin's smashfests though ... I certainly would've been

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Chris you're not actually a Puff main
Change your icon to show your true colors (i.e., something that isn't Puff)
~_~

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
i mean i can be more loud slightly ignorant and cheer if need be(see the crew battle from this past graphix when mooseeatsbear gets around to uploading it lol) but i got the vibe from alot of MD/VA players that tehy prefer quietness during the matches hence why i never cheer during tournies for them.
Well my thing is, I do like it when people cheer for me if I actually do something good (doesn't happen often). I'm fine with quiet too though.

What I have problems with is when people just have conversations that I can hear easily while I'm playing. Dumb problem to have, but yeah.

tldr; I like cheering but don't like random talking.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
I'll give you that cheering/trash talk is definitely better than discussing the match analytically if that's what you mean. Lol.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Winston needs to step it up. I know you're way better than how you play in tourny, you perform as badly as I too at times when nerves or whatever it is gets to you. Maybe you gotta get soem earplugs and just not think too hard about who you're playing so you can **** them.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Winston lets his emotions through too much
Gotta be an emotionless terminator or something
I don't have that problem but he outperforms me most of the time anyways ... *johns*
Also Chris is an idiot for thinking I was particularly frustrated after losing to CK in losers

Cyrain

Smash Ace
My emotions **** me too. I feel for you, Winston.

I've wanted to play Milkman, but transportation has been a major issue and with Tope and I both working 40 hour weeks and Milkman being in highschool....It's a pain in the ***. Some day soon, though.

Also this thread is true. Melee has been pulling in more and more people, but less and less great players have been travelling to tournaments. Turnout is sloooooowly going downhill. Everyone needs to really step it up and push the game forward to keep it alive.

Vist

Smash Champion
I'm definitely one of those people in winston's post that talk about unrelated stuff LOL

Like most of the time when I'm not playing a match I'm making a pun or saying 'yea, I bet you do, @sshole' to thumbs

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I'm definitely one of those people in winston's post that talk about unrelated stuff LOL

Like most of the time when I'm not playing a match I'm making a pun or saying 'yea, I bet you do, @sshole' to thumbs
I don't think he cares about puns
It was like that one time when you and your friend were like ... talking about Starcraft 2 hahahaha

He means talking about unrelated stuff that he can form opinions on while the match is happening I think

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
Don't worry about it guys. I have a whole boatload of johns (boatload of skepticism) and they're pretty much all dumb things.

Just letting Wenz know that I don't mind actual cheering.

@ Seb

Yeah, I know... idk maybe I will figure it out someday. My main thing is that when I get to the tournament and mess up every 3rd wavedash (despite being consistent during practice) I get frustrated and pick Marth.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I don't recall this.

Tournament nerves suck. Ballsy things aren't so reliable anymore for some reason.
Maybe I imagined it then haha

I don't think I get tournament nerves anymore, but I do think my execution goes down ... although I've also been out of practice recently
Hmm

Fox is really fun

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I get tournament nerves so bad that all I do is spam cc d-smash and camp.

My legs shake so much.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Winston had a couple smashfests at his house with the Oldlyweds and Vist and maybe a few more of the MD regulars (Thumbs and skyheart maybe)

I'm surprised NoVA wasn't all over Chillin's smashfests though ... I certainly would've been
LOL I'm contagious. XP

I think we need a thread to better advertise these small smashfests. A lot of people (at least me :|) are probably not being notified, and aren't going because they simply didn't know about them. Perhaps having a Smashfest thread? Or I guess we could just post them in the PR thread now. Just any way to make it easy to find when and where to Smash.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I've been calling them the Oldlyweds before I met you dawg
We should just friend each other on Facebook / AIM / Gmail and do it that way haha
Maybe an MDVA contact info list?

Top Bottom