• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dealing with Marth's Range

St. Viers

Smash Champion
Also, I think the dash attack clanks with many things. I know the f-smash, but not sure about other attacks

6th Sense

Smash Lord
my badddd

next time we're gunna play 10 lives, all items, hyrul and no advance skills :)

......i'm not worried about loosing, im just worried what will you think when i loose.

I'll put it back up i guess. And the Falcon one ;]

OO yea, and you shoulda backed me up when that guy said my marth sucked, but you didnt do anything. That's where it all started. I always backed you up if i made a thread and someone talked smack about you.
I knew you were being careless so I didn't think twice about it. I was looking more for advice on my Doc like they should've been doing. sorry though. I think whenever a match is over, whether you loose or not, I'm already thinking of the next match!:chuckle: Thats the truth.

LoL, random Entei.

6th, I wanna Smashshsh with ya. :) Derek told me you play a mean Marth >: )
Dude I know! I was in Inglewood though :[[ When will you be back over here?

Wreckless

Smash Journeyman
Jason, the vides are back up!!!

and you can be better than me, i will just challenge myself to get better and open a can of whoop A$$!! oo yeaaaa sounds peachy yea??

and Dior is mad at me now which i think is hilarious. . . He sometimes needa think when he's angry and argueing cuzz he keeps contradicting himself.........gave me a good laugh and now ppl don't respect me or Dior ahahah o well, they respect you tho :]

alcheato

Smash Ace
Pretty nice Doc, man. Try not to dash attack to so much and get in more shield grabs vs Marth. The dash attack is good for getting under Marth when he approaches with shffl'd fairs but otherwise pill rushing and approaching with nairs is more effective. Try baiting Marth's to f-smash so you can shield grab, or even triangle jump into an attack.

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
St viers is right. full jump pills can be good against marth. Space yourself so you are just out of range and full jump pill. Whilst doing this don't forget to move. As stviers said you can a wavedash out of them or just move simply with the control stick (after you press B otherwise you might cape or reverse pill). Also, don't forget you can fit a last minute aerial after the full jump pill. I find nair works best here

pillz

Smash Rookie
if u have fast enought fingers, u can try wat i do.
1: wave dash into him.
2: side step while hes doin his f smash.
3: then, take advantage of the lag.

or...u can,

4: SH to him
5: pill
6: then go to step 1 at them top and finish the combo.

it works for me. also, try doin a normal jump, pill, jump again, pill.(all while goin to him for constand interrupt) message me on how u do.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
I general drifting towards marth is a bad idea unless you are far away--> if he simply shffls f-air, you get hit, and if you double jump it that could mean a quick loss of a stock.

One of the most important parts of docs game is making sure you are safe as possible, and double pilling is unsafe already--drifting into marth's range makes it even worse.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Ya know, i had 2 long, winding posts typed out, but i deleted them cause i dont like sounding philosophical and stupid on forums.

So ill just say this.

If marth is either

a) standing set, ready to react

or

b) falling backwards, but has control.

Dont be so hasty to attack. Those are 2 of marth's favorite situations because they're distance traps. The second one is hardest to see, because it obviously looks like you would still have control.

__

Another thing to look out for is if marth starts wavedashing. When most marths start wavedashing around, they're obviously looking to f.smash or to grab (normally). If they wavedash at you, you have to be able to read/react to what they're going to do (which is hard, but this is worst case).

However, if they wavedah backwards, dont chase them. Many marth players wavedash back into a f.smash (another speed trap). This is the one that everybody, even non-marth players do, but the better ones are good a disguising what they're trying to accomplish. Sometimes they'll wavedash back and not do anything, sometimes they'll wavedash away from your attack and not do anything (which will be used later as a setup to the f.smash.

__

In general, that's what I look for what I play a marth. (And yes, this is still the short version of what i had.) :(

DaBRÜM

Smash Apprentice
And on dealing with marths range i found that playing as a character for awhile(even just in training mode or against a computer) is beneficial to playing against a human character...it does occasionally mess me up on some things but it is never something big...It has really helped me get used to fighting marth(Now i know his EXACT range...it has been really helpful to me so maybe you should try it out...

6th Sense

Smash Lord
And on dealing with marths range i found that playing as a character for awhile(even just in training mode or against a computer) is beneficial to playing against a human character...it does occasionally mess me up on some things but it is never something big...It has really helped me get used to fighting marth(Now i know his EXACT range...it has been really helpful to me so maybe you should try it out...
we have a name for that. its called a hitbox.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
I use the cape on comp players because i dont have any human competition who plays marth.

Roman.

Smash Champion
Your doc really catches my eye. IMO, I usually play a defensive game against marths, throwing pills while teasing them in the air so they come at me. Then shield or if they are dashing for a grab, side step. A lot of the time, I end up towards the edge so i'll grab em, throw off the edge and cape their up+B. A little tricky to time, but well worth it.

DaBRÜM

Smash Apprentice
Your doc really catches my eye. IMO, I usually play a defensive game against marths, throwing pills while teasing them in the air so they come at me. Then shield or if they are dashing for a grab, side step. A lot of the time, I end up towards the edge so i'll grab em, throw off the edge and cape their up+B. A little tricky to time, but well worth it.
i had never actually thought of ACTUALLY playing defensive as doc against a doc...thanks, my cousin plays marth and he is like the only person i play against nowadays and he is better then me so i always have trouble against him...i have to wait for him to change to peach to still only beat him once out of 10

Top Bottom