• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DDD Chaingrabbing - Infinite list: Demonstrational video added

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hype

Smash Lord
Off the map Dtilt? Might you mean a Dtilt at the edge of stage, or just a Dtilt during a chain?
I'm talking about when your chain grabbing someone and you've got to the edge of the stage where you can't get another grab because they will go off the stage. From there I know you can Dtilt some people right out of a Dthrow and it combos. I'm wondering if anyone knows which characters get hit by the Dtilt.

brawlerbrad91

Smash Journeyman
oh my gawd, so there's at least two different ways to do this which seems to work either way if M2K and Zel both do it this way, and it works ppf's way also, then i guess they both work.

Edit: actually i like your's the best by far, it feels the fastest, but idk, they're all pretty fast and i know your way works, so i'll just stick w/ yours

PinkPwnageFrenzy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PinkPwnageFrenzy
I'm talking about when your chain grabbing someone and you've got to the edge of the stage where you can't get another grab because they will go off the stage. From there I know you can Dtilt some people right out of a Dthrow and it combos. I'm wondering if anyone knows which characters get hit by the Dtilt.
I actually didn't know that. I'll play with it and if I can do it, I'll post a list of who can and can't.

@ Brawlerbrad, I think they're just grabbing before the people recover all the way, like my chains, but it's a lot more risky if you mess up. I was playing with it this morning, and you can get at least 1-2 more grabs with "my" way.

brawlerbrad91

Smash Journeyman
yeah, so far of all the ways i've done the CG, "yours" idk who actually started it, seems to take up the least amount of space due to not sliding very much at all. And yes, dtilt is also very good for a kill when they're at like 140 or so after your last dthrow off the map.

laird

Smash Apprentice
^ yeah the way pinkpwnage describes is definitely the most efficient way, with the most grabs in the smallest area, but i'm so used to the m2k/zel/etc way that I dont think I'm going to retrain my muscle memory, hehe.

On a sidenote, I am loving the dthrow-dtilt combo at the end of the stage. it is so much more effective than an fthrow, especially at high percentages.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
D-throw to d-tilt works against ROB. I'll ask M2K who else it works on.

Shield-grab is the best way to chaingrab, but it's important to remember that the slide grab is a VERY useful tool.

Take into consideration DDD can control the movement of his cg:

1.) Create the shortest distance possible by Shield CG'ing.
2.) Create a longer distance by regular CG'ing.

When you are near the middle of the stage, estimate which grab should be used, either shortened or expanded, so that your last grab puts them in a position where they can't automatically grab the ledge. This obviously works well against certain characters that DDD can follow up with an f-air after chasing them.

Oh, and like you said earlier about playing people who spot-dodge. If they feel like spot-dodge will save them and you purposely mess up once or twice to make them feel secure that spot-dodging is save, d-throw to dash attack is almost guaranteed. Use this wisely, preferably last stock and at a % that you know will kill.

PinkPwnageFrenzy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PinkPwnageFrenzy
Now it all falls into place, thank you for your wisdom, Inferno.

Alright, so I think I have this pretty much figured out now. You can chain for pretty much two reasons:

1) To rack up damage
2) To bring your opponent to the ledge

I've been looking at it solely as #1. But if you look at it as #2, a whole new world of earlier KO's comes into play. You can set up for Aerials, WOP's and Regicides. All of which will hopefully kill your opponent.

Thanks for the tip about the spot dodging, that never occurred to me for some reason. I'll be sure to use it next time I play him. :)

brawlerbrad91

Smash Journeyman
D-throw to d-tilt works against ROB. I'll ask M2K who else it works on.

Shield-grab is the best way to chaingrab, but it's important to remember that the slide grab is a VERY useful tool.

Take into consideration DDD can control the movement of his cg:

1.) Create the shortest distance possible by Shield CG'ing.
2.) Create a longer distance by regular CG'ing.

When you are near the middle of the stage, estimate which grab should be used, either shortened or expanded, so that your last grab puts them in a position where they can't automatically grab the ledge. This obviously works well against certain characters that DDD can follow up with an f-air after chasing them.

Oh, and like you said earlier about playing people who spot-dodge. If they feel like spot-dodge will save them and you purposely mess up once or twice to make them feel secure that spot-dodging is save, d-throw to dash attack is almost guaranteed. Use this wisely, preferably last stock and at a % that you know will kill.
Ahh, genius. I'll have to experience w/ this on humans and see what works, jeez, CG you are too good

Wölf

Smash Apprentice
This guide is great. I've begun to re-main DDD and I was wondering how to perfect my Chain grab. The step that says to shield is the only thing I was missing, so thanks for perfecting my technique :D

PinkPwnageFrenzy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PinkPwnageFrenzy
This guide is great. I've begun to re-main DDD and I was wondering how to perfect my Chain grab. The step that says to shield is the only thing I was missing, so thanks for perfecting my technique :D
You're welcome, glad I could help that. Be sure to take heed of InfernoOmni's advice about using the sliding grabs AND the shield grab.

brawlerbrad91

Smash Journeyman
Hey, when you just do a dashing grab, it can lead into some easy kills, like against wario, you can get an utilt or usmash if you dashing grab cuz they have to jump release since when you dash grab, they are suspended above their feet. This only works for dash, not shield, so that would be another reason to mix up shielded and nonshielded ones.

But if someone could please look into this for other characters, cuz i heard someone said it works for more than just wario. If someone could do some quick research, it could lead to DDD being even more amazing than he already is. I mean a CG on more than a half of the cast and then a CG into a KO move, that's just filthy.

Hype

Smash Lord
The jump break has been thoroughly explored on the marth boards. when I play marth, I use jump break into combos all the time. From what I can tell you Wario has a pretty unique trajectory when he jump breaks. I think all characters land farther away, you will likely have to do a running attack. I can also tell you that squirtle suffers so much from jump breaks. Squirtle can't do anything until he hits the ground.

Edit: Heres some info on the jump breaks

Its likely that some charcaters can get hit by Fairs after a grab release.

List Of who Jump releases

Characters that jump release from standing grab
None

Characters that jump release with running grabs only
Mario
Kirby
Pikachu
Game and Watch
Luigi
Squirtle
Yoshi
Ice Climbers
Ness
Wario
Olimar
Jigglypuff
Lucas

Characters that don't jump release
Donkey Kong
Link
Samus
Fox
Marth
Diddy Kong
Sheik
Zelda
Pit
Meta Knight
Falco
Ivysaur
Charizard
Ike
Snake
Peach
Ganondorf
Dedede
Wolf
Lucario
Sonic
Bowser
Toon Link
Rob
Captain Falcon

Liquid_Kai?

Smash Apprentice
How can I chaingrab without moving(like Pikachu's D-Throw CG to Fox)?
Its called Infinate and you can only do this to these characters:

Mario
Samus
Bowser
DK
Luigi

Takes practise to work out the timing (which i still suck at) but once you've got it its a great technique to have in DDDs arsnel of attacks.

For pikachu you would have to move inbetween the dthrows to sucsessfully CG, because he cannot be infinated.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I've never been able to true-infinite Bowser: I have to hold forward so D3 will move forward ever so slightly.

Is it possible to infinite Bowser with zero movement or is it considered infinite simply because it'd take forever to get to the end of the stage?

I've been able to true-infinite DK without issue.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Roomates telling me to sticky stuff FTL. This is what I get for rooming with a smasher :/

PinkPwnageFrenzy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PinkPwnageFrenzy
Is there any way you could copy this thread's contents to your stickied thread? Or if we could just get this stickied, it'd (hopefully) end a lot of the questions and we could focus on other little nuances of Dedede's gameplay.

Orb13

Smash Cadet
Is Marth chaingrabble? I want evidence too! Show me high level play where marth is or is not chaingrabbed, I've looked and I haven't seen marth chaingrabbed in high level play.

PinkPwnageFrenzy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PinkPwnageFrenzy
Is Marth chaingrabble? I want evidence too! Show me high level play where marth is or is not chaingrabbed, I've looked and I haven't seen marth chaingrabbed in high level play.
Yes he is. As for high level play, look for yourself, I'm sure there is some out there. I can't do it today, it's my birthday. :p

Hype

Smash Lord
One thing that you should add is that on your last Dthrow you should do the running grab (not shield grab) so you slide right to the edge of the map before your do your Fthrow or whatever you want to use. that little bit can determine whether or not they die from the fthrow.

PinkPwnageFrenzy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PinkPwnageFrenzy
@CO18: Thanks, and I'll be sure to add the info and the video.

@Gede+>9000n's: There's a sticky on the infinites already, so I will not unless the mods ask me to or something.

@Hype: I sorta covered that, but I'll certainly add the grab release stuff you shared earlier that I didn't add for some reason.

MorphedChaos

Smash Lord
I love this topic so much, helps greatly when chaingrabbing or infinite someone. And like Met says, its impossible to escape the CG if your doing it right on characters who can be CG'ed.

Royale

Smash Journeyman

i made this animated image of me chain grabbing this ganondorf in basic brawl. too bad you can't upload them as avatars here.

Royale

Smash Journeyman
i might make a falco one, seeing as i timed this gif pretty well. It gives you a nice feeling of how the chain grab mechanic works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom