• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DDD Chaingrabbing - Infinite list: Demonstrational video added

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdSam

Smash Cadet
This thread would be amazing if some more stuff was added. Overall, I think the DDD community is still confused as to what characters can actually get out of the CG and by what methods DDD can keep some characters in the CG. There really isn't anywhere to go on these boards to find a clear answer to these questions. As it stands, I'm still in the dark on these issues and have many questions (can marth really upB out of the CG? how many different ways can DDD grab during a CG?). But whenever I bring these questions up, the answers are always varied and there doesn't seem to be any agreed upon answer. It's disappointing that we've had the game for just about 3 months and not only are these answers not posted anywhere, the DDD community doesn't even have agreed upon answers for these questions...

Mr.C

Smash Master
When I have time and a friend that is willing to sit down and help, ill test out which upb's and jabs can escape from DDD's cg. :)

samdaballer

Smash Ace
This thread would be amazing if some more stuff was added. Overall, I think the DDD community is still confused as to what characters can actually get out of the CG and by what methods DDD can keep some characters in the CG. There really isn't anywhere to go on these boards to find a clear answer to these questions. As it stands, I'm still in the dark on these issues and have many questions (can marth really upB out of the CG? how many different ways can DDD grab during a CG?). But whenever I bring these questions up, the answers are always varied and there doesn't seem to be any agreed upon answer. It's disappointing that we've had the game for just about 3 months and not only are these answers not posted anywhere, the DDD community doesn't even have agreed upon answers for these questions...
cosign, there has to be a grab that is better than the rest, for almost all purposes, and at this point it seems like its the shield canceled grab

Met

Smash Ace
ok listen to what I am saying because I know whats up.

the easy way to do it is to hit R and then hit A real quickly after you hit R to get the correct grab
If you do this correctly every character that slides across the ground except luigi can be CG
all those that fall down can't be

whut?

Smash Journeyman
cosign, there has to be a grab that is better than the rest, for almost all purposes, and at this point it seems like its the shield canceled grab

one of the existing topics should really educate people on grabs.
i get tired of hearing "(whoever) can upB out of the chaingrab"

ChaoticSamus

Smash Apprentice
Snake is able to get out of the chain grab. He has some frames in between the grabs in which he can start is neutral A combo breaking him out of the chain grab.

whut?

Smash Journeyman
Snake is able to get out of the chain grab. He has some frames in between the grabs in which he can start is neutral A combo breaking him out of the chain grab.
no he cannot, we were discussing the misconception that characters can jab/grab/dodge/upB out of the CG.
if a character does not fall, or is not luigi, they can be chaingrabbed.
(with shield canceled grabs) nobody knows/cares about this i guess,
besides a small fraction of ddd mainers. ^_^

Saiya

Smash Cadet
Thanks for such an informative thread!
Now I know what characters to look out for when I'm playing my friends as The King. >_>

aznegglover

Smash Journeyman
I like to follow up DThrows at the edge with a FSmash while the opponent tries to recover

Dunno if this works on humans, but it sure does the trick on CPUs :D

meestertiny

Smash Cadet
I dunno if this is new, but you can "semi-infinite" large characters where the infinite apply, such as bowser and DK, as far as I know. just that, it's like the basic chaingrab, only you can rack up a lot of damage before reaching the edge.

just as you do the down grab, move a little bit (walk about a half a step) and then grab them again before they hit the ground. the timing's a lot easier to do than the standing infinite, and you can get them to the edge for a forward throw kill(?)

PinkPwnageFrenzy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PinkPwnageFrenzy
Chaingrabbing (How-To, Proper Technique, etc.)

Many people ask about one of the main features of Dedede's game: The Chain Grab. People are awestruck at how us Dedede players can rack up damage so quickly and gracefully, I mean, who else can rack up 40%-60% from one side of the stage to the other safely?

Now, Chain Grabbing is actually really easy, but apparently even easier to misconstrue. There are two ways to do it. You can do normal dash grabs, or you can do shield cancel grabs (SCG). I myself prefer to do shield cancel grabs, because if you mess up, you won't go tumbling, so it's a little less punishable. As for doing the chain grabs, you do it in this precise order I describe, you do NOT combine any of these steps. They are classified as steps for the purpose of this guide because each is to be done separate. So enough chatter, down to business.

The Technique
1.) This can actually vary. You can be in a shield, or a dash, or just snag an oncoming opponent. But in the end, it's going to end up with a grab.

2.) After you grab your opponent, it would be best to form the habit of hitting your opponent at least once. That would be pressing A or Z while they are in your grasp. I wouldn't advise risking more hits unless they are at a fairly high percent. Refer to the next small section for how many times to hit after a grab.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Subsection: How Often To Hit
When it's safe to hit them, and how many times.

20%-99% = 1 Hit
100%-149% = 2 Hits
150%-199% = 3 Hits
200% and higher = 4 Hits

After that, it doesn't really matter. A Forward throw from the end of Final Destination at 200% is death for most anybody, but you can never have too much extra damage.

Please note that these numbers have not been thoroughly tested, and are based solely off of qwertyman's experience. However, I'm 90% sure that, if you follow these numbers, it becomes literally impossible to escape during the hits.
Thanks to qwertyman
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
3.) After you get your hits, you perform a down throw. This is the main part of the chain that damages your opponent. If you are at the end of the stage, it's probably best to forward throw.

4.) So the down throw was successful, all is good and well, here comes the tricky part. You are to dash as soon as possible after executing the down throw. Wait, did I just call that tricky? Hah. Silly me. It's the next part that throws people off.

At this point, actually a little bit before this, you should have assessed your situation. You don't want your opponent to neatly cling on to the edge, so you may have to vary what you do. SCG if you have plenty of room, or do a normal dash grab if you're too close to the edge. For instruction on the SCG, see step 5, if not, then skip to step 6.

5.) Before you initiate anything else, you are to shield. Yes, that's right, shield. Why, you ask? It prevents you from doing a dash grab in your next move and tumbling, and instead allows you to do a normal standing grab, even though you're sliding a little. Your standing grab range is actually longer than your dashing grab range anyway.

6.) Here is where you initiate your next grab in the chain. You do NOT combine step 5 and 6, or else you perform a dash grab that your opponent can spot dodge or roll out of. It may be hard at first, but practice it and it will become natural to you.

Then you repeat as necessary.

Follow-Ups
After you have reached the end of the stage via chain grabbing...You can do one final down throw...You will notice your opponent generally falls into perfect fair position below the stage...Simply chase into fair...This can create a very effective finish for your chain grab...looks great also
Thanks to R!S3

If you end up in the same situation mentioned by R!S3, instead of falling into a Forward Air, you can immediately do a Forward Smash for an easy kill. There are many ways for the opponent to "escape" this, so you have to already know what they'll do.
The best way to do this is to make them believe that they'll be safe by jumping directly back onto the stage (not the ledge) after the final Down Throw. This obviously varies from player to player.

Also, a Down Smash can accomplish the same effect, at a slightly different angle.
Thanks to qwertyman

You can also do a normal Forward Throw if you think it'll kill them, Just let them hang and predict what they'll do out of it, RAR some bairs, etc.

Qwertyman also would like to remind everyone that these things will only really work if they don't grab the edge at the end of the chain. It will be more difficult to do on heavy character such as Bowser and DK.

Mixing It Up
-Dthrow to Dtilt works on certain characters as a combo.

-Dthrow to Ftilt is good against characters that have an easier time recovering when off stage. This only works against certain characters, and is a good mix-up when near the ledge if you prepare a quick Bair afterwards.

-Once or twice, purposely mess up your chaingrab while dashing toward them and see how they respond. If they sidestep, then you'll have a good chance of landing a dash attack and earning an early kill.

-Finally, a good follow up to sidesteppers is to dash toward them, keep dashing as they sidestep, and perform a reverse grab. Very tricky, and is definitely a plausible technique.
Thanks to InfernoOmni

On certain characters, you can actually do a dash grab, and they will automatically jump release. What that means is a free Up Smash, which can kill at higher percents.

Characters that jump release after a dash grab:

Mario
Kirby
Pikachu
Game and Watch
Luigi
Squirtle
Yoshi
Ice Climbers
Ness
Wario
Olimar
Jigglypuff
Lucas
Thanks to Hype

After Thoughts
These methods, IF DONE PERFECTLY, cannot be broken. No UpB, grenades or other silly tricks can interrupt your CG.
Thanks to CO18

laird brought to my attention that a bunch of really good Dededes don't just use the SCG. I was stumped as to why until InfernoOmni came along with an answer. You can interchange them for proper spacing when you get to the edge, so instead of neatly clinging to the edge, they go out a little bit. What that means is you can follow that up with a single aerial, WOPs and Regicides. So you have to get a feel for when you'll be at that proper spacing, and when you need to adjust until you are indeed at that point. I myself will be practicing this theory, as I hadn't thought about it before.
=====================================================

If anyone has anything to add, something I should take out, or little errors that I've made, or you think this whole idea is stupid, please let me know. I'll be using the info to create a video tutorial on how to Chain Grab so that people also have a visual aid, and I will be sure to give credit where it is due.

Thanks to qwertyman for providing the "How often to hit" section, and providing some things for the "Follow-Ups" section.
Thanks to R!S3 for providing ideas for the "Follow-Ups" section.
Thanks to InfernoOmni for providing ideas for the "Mixing It Up" section, and the "After Thoughts section.

Thanks to Hype for providing ideas for the "Mixing It Up" section.
Thanks to CO18 for providing ideas for the "After Thoughts" section.

Bakithi

Smash Apprentice
Nice guide, PPF. I'll recommend this to my friends if they ever start to use Dedede. I don't like explaining. x|
*bookmarks*

qwertyman

Smash Apprentice
Good explanation. Clean and simple.
If you want, you can add the following (not perfectly accurate) information regarding when it's safe to hit them, and how many times.

20%-99% = 1 Hit
100%-149% = 2 Hits
150%-199% = 3 Hits
200% and higher = 4 Hits

After that, it doens't really matter. A Forward throw from the end of Final Destination at 200% is death for most anybody, but you can never have too much extra damage.

Please note that these numbers have not been thoroughly tested, and are based soley off of my experience. However, I'm 90% sure that, if you follow these numbers, it becomes literally impossible to escape during the hits.

brawlerbrad91

Smash Journeyman
so when you perform your's when you're not grabbing anyone, do you still roll when you miss? Cuz if you do, then that's how i'm doing it, but if not, then i'm doing it wrong. Or are you supposed to dash and let the whole animation or most of it happen, then shield grab.

R!S3

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for saving me the trouble of writing a guide myself...

I was 3 "How do you chain grab" threads away from making a guide

This might be useful to some DDD users:

After you have reached the end of the stage via chain grabbing...You can do one final down throw...You will notice your opponent generally falls into perfect fair position below the stage...Simply chase into fair...This can create a very effective finish for your chain grab...looks great also

Great guide PPF

PinkPwnageFrenzy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PinkPwnageFrenzy
so when you perform your's when you're not grabbing anyone, do you still roll when you miss? Cuz if you do, then that's how i'm doing it, but if not, then i'm doing it wrong. Or are you supposed to dash and let the whole animation or most of it happen, then shield grab.
You should not be rolling. You press shield THEN you grab, so you don't do the dashing grab animation, you instead do the standing grab. I said so in the guide.

If you still don't understand, try it in training mode. Do all the steps, but slowly, and not on the CPU. If you are still rolling, you're doing it wrong. You want to keep practicing until you can avoid rolling, then you bring it to your opponent. See if you can get a friend to hold shield and keep tapping down while you do the chains. They won't get out if you've got it.
Holy snap. I can finally D3 Chaingrab properly! :D
Glad I've helped you.

Thanks for saving me the trouble of writing a guide myself...

I was 3 "How do you chain grab" threads away from making a guide

This might be useful to some DDD users:

Great guide PPF
Thanks for the compliments.

I'll add that in a new section called "Follow-Ups"

qwertyman

Smash Apprentice
Something to add to "Follow-Ups", if you like.

If you end up in the same situation mentioned by R!S3, instead of falling into a Forward Air, you can immediately do a Forward Smash for an easy kill. There are many ways for the opponent to "escape" this, so you have to already know what they'll do.
The best way to do this is to make them believe that they'll be safe by jumping directly back onto the stage (not the ledge) after the final Down Throw. This obviously varies from player to player.

Also, a Down Smash can accomplish the same effect, at a slightly different angle.

Just a reminder:
All of these "combos" (both mine and R!S3's) only work if the final Down Throw sends them away from the stage enough to prevent them from immediately grabbing the stage.
This means that the minimum distance from the edge of the stage varies with each character. It also means that any of these "combos" become almost impossible, if not impossible, to perform on DK or Bowser.

Liquid_Kai?

Smash Apprentice
Nice explanation, learnt chain grabbing the other day and its really easy to pick up without a guide, but its good for those special people that dont get the concept of it. Hopefully this will stop all those "how do i CG" threads poping up everywhere.

I never knew about sheilding quickly before the next grab, because i wondered why somtimes i kept rolling when i miss the dash grab. Learn something new every day eh?

Thanks for the guide

brawlerbrad91

Smash Journeyman
Actually, a combination of the dthrow to fair the first time you reach the end of the stage, will make them think they need to jump back up, making you miss the FF'd fair, so the next time you CG them to the end, dthrow and just do a fsmash, they think you're going to chase them under the stage again, so they'll jump up into a fsmash and bam they're dead, i can't tell you how many times i have done that. It really works

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
I'll add a few nookies:

- D-throw to d-tilt works on certain characters as a combo.

- D-throw to f-tilt is good against characters that have an easier time recovering when off stage. This only works against certain characters, and is a good mix-up when near the ledge if you prepare a quick b-air afterwads.

- Once or twice, purposely mess up your chaingrab while dashing toward them and see how they respond. If they sidestep, then you'll have a good chance of landing a dash attack and earning an early kill.

- Finally, a good follow up to sidesteppers is to dash toward them, keep dashing as they sidestep, and perform a reverse grab. Very tricky, and is definitely a plausible technique.

PinkPwnageFrenzy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PinkPwnageFrenzy
Something to add to "Follow-Ups", if you like.

Just a reminder:
All of these "combos" (both mine and R!S3's) only work if the final Down Throw sends them away from the stage enough to prevent them from immediately grabbing the stage.
This means that the minimum distance from the edge of the stage varies with each character. It also means that any of these "combos" become almost impossible, if not impossible, to perform on DK or Bowser.
Added this to the guide, thank you for being so helpful.
nice guide, thanks. Might add it to smashlovers.com if thats ok?
Sure, as long as you post a link back to here so that they see I was the one to make the guide.
Nice explanation, learnt chain grabbing the other day and its really easy to pick up without a guide, but its good for those special people that dont get the concept of it. Hopefully this will stop all those "how do i CG" threads poping up everywhere.

I never knew about sheilding quickly before the next grab, because i wondered why somtimes i kept rolling when i miss the dash grab. Learn something new every day eh?

Thanks for the guide
That's my goal, I was a bit sick of seeing them myself. You're welcome.
Actually, a combination of the dthrow to fair the first time you reach the end of the stage, will make them think they need to jump back up, making you miss the FF'd fair, so the next time you CG them to the end, dthrow and just do a fsmash, they think you're going to chase them under the stage again, so they'll jump up into a fsmash and bam they're dead, i can't tell you how many times i have done that. It really works
This is basically what qwertyman said, you can keep repeating that to "condition" your opponent, then go for a Fsmash for the kill. Some people won't fall for it though, especially if you do it often, so be sure to mix it up.
end of the stage - dthrow-ftilt works well, too. pushes them off the stage, setting up for WoP bair/fairs
Hmm...I suppose this would work, but you might not be able to get that ftilt out before they start falling off the stage, it'd be better to try for the fairs or the Fsmash, I think.
I'll add a few nookies:

- D-throw to d-tilt works on certain characters as a combo.

- D-throw to f-tilt is good against characters that have an easier time recovering when off stage. This only works against certain characters, and is a good mix-up when near the ledge if you prepare a quick b-air afterwads.

- Once or twice, purposely mess up your chaingrab while dashing toward them and see how they respond. If they sidestep, then you'll have a good chance of landing a dash attack and earning an early kill.

- Finally, a good follow up to sidesteppers is to dash toward them, keep dashing as they sidestep, and perform a reverse grab. Very tricky, and is definitely a plausible technique.
Thank you, I'll be sure to add those to the guide.

Also, if anyone cares, I updated the layout a bit.

brawlerbrad91

Smash Journeyman
OK, so the sheild is pretty much to cancel out the dash grab, cuz i'm doing dash, then shield during the dash, then release it while the dash is still going on, then pressing grab, and it comes out as a regular grab, so i guess i'm doing it right, the shield never shows up, but due to the fact that it's not a dashing grab since i'm not rolling after i press grab, i guess it's the right way. I think i've got it down now.

tachyon34

Smash Rookie
hmm when i do it i usually just dash then do a normal shield grab, and my shield usually flashes for a split second before i do the grab.

so far it seems to me like the dash grab is easier to chain together, but can be side-step dodged,

but when i try to chain together dash canceled grabs it seems that the opponent slides away before i can grab them (even on chain-grabbable chars like c.falcon). I seem to have trouble getting the dash cancel grab to come out on short dashes... i have to be dashing for a bit before i shield or i just get a regular dash grab.

i think the key is how long you hold shield for after dashing but im not sure

Hype

Smash Lord
would it be possible to make a list of the charcaters that can't escape the off map dtilt after a series of chain grabs? does that finish well since they are are at the edge of the map(probebly much better than fthrow)?

when you grab someone who can't be chain grabed and they roll towards you, would it be possible to stutter backwards and Fsmash? I was trying this in some matches but never got it to work, but then I forgot and never got to test it. It looks possible though.

PinkPwnageFrenzy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PinkPwnageFrenzy
hmm when i do it i usually just dash then do a normal shield grab, and my shield usually flashes for a split second before i do the grab.

so far it seems to me like the dash grab is easier to chain together, but can be side-step dodged,

but when i try to chain together dash canceled grabs it seems that the opponent slides away before i can grab them (even on chain-grabbable chars like c.falcon). I seem to have trouble getting the dash cancel grab to come out on short dashes... i have to be dashing for a bit before i shield or i just get a regular dash grab.

i think the key is how long you hold shield for after dashing but im not sure
Just keep practicing, you'll get it. I'm making a video that shows how to do it correctly soon, so maybe that will help you.

would it be possible to make a list of the charcaters that can't escape the off map dtilt after a series of chain grabs? does that finish well since they are are at the edge of the map(probebly much better than fthrow)?

when you grab someone who can't be chain grabed and they roll towards you, would it be possible to stutter backwards and Fsmash? I was trying this in some matches but never got it to work, but then I forgot and never got to test it. It looks possible though.
Off the map Dtilt? Might you mean a Dtilt at the edge of stage, or just a Dtilt during a chain?

As for your second part, yes you can do that. Personally I'd just Fsmash if I saw someone rolling towards me like that.

laird

Smash Apprentice
OK pinkpwnage I have a question. I watched your combo video, and, though you don't have many chaingrabs (thanks! combo vids with all CGs are boring), during the one at the end against wolf on delfino, I can see how you cancel the dash into a standing grab with the shield.

I have read that this allows for more chaingrabs against a smaller area, because you dont have to slide as far, and the standing grab reaches farther than the dash.

However, in videos such as these too matches by Zelgadis (a pretty solid D3 imo) against some very good players (Germ and DSF), he seems to be shield grabbing, but not enough to cancel the trip. Specifically his shield flashes for a split second, not as long as yours does, and he looks like he is sliding farther. But he is still able to CG them (his opponents are too good to not be DIing).

Heres the vids:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=abyBpgcoxDc
http://youtube.com/watch?v=QeI7P-hV1oc

M2K, the best D3 in the nation (if you go by tourney results as you should), also noticeably does a normal shield grab out of the dash, not the cancel to the standing shield grab:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=oECew6wDH98

I understand the advantages of your technique, and I am wondering if I am perceiving a difference that isnt there or what. I learned how to CG by watching videos such as M2K's and Zel's, noticing that the do the initial dash animation and then shield grab. I got the muscle memory down for that technique, and can pretty much do it effectively on every char that D3 can CG. I don't want to spend the hour or so it will take to relearn my CG muscle memory if there isn't actually that much of an advantage in waiting for the shield to cancel the dash before grabbing (which i presume is what you are doing and they are not, hence the way that D3 starts to roll into the grab in Zel and M2K's vids, but you do not).

Thanks for any help. Sorry for the wall of text.

PinkPwnageFrenzy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PinkPwnageFrenzy
No trouble at all, I'd rather a long intelligent post than a short unintelligent one. :)

Thank you for bringing this to my attention, it's quite interesting. I don't have an answer for that, it'd be best to ask them why they don't do it. I think it may be because either they don't know it, are too lazy to do it, or because they know their opponent won't try to spotdodge out. Or the last possible option I can think of is they know something that I don't.

Personally, I do it all the time. Reason being is that someone I play often will try to spotdodge out constantly, just in case I slip up in my chains. Also, if you can get more chaingrabs in a smaller area, that translates to more damage. And more damage results to an easier time KOing someone.

So, it's up to you really, I'm not forcing you to do it my way, you can do it however you please. Again, thank you for taking the time to make this post and bringing this to my attention.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
make sure u dont slide for maximum grabs. but some chars like sonic marth and pit u need this slide by doing going downwards, and dashing shield grabs should be buffered

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom