• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Day, Night, and Dusk - Lycanroc for Smash Bros. Ultimate

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
D

Deleted member

Liking Tge games watching a playtgrough vibrant, Gym Challenge makes it fun. Also new features like Dynamax, and Pokemon Camp are swell. Wild Area I hope gets expanded upon.

Sobble's final evolved form is already one of my favourite Pokemon.

Still a lot of things need to be changed in the future.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Although I think that Lycanroc's time has sadly passed, I think that we can still see a Sword & Shield Pokemon as a DLC character in future fighter passes.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Although I think that Lycanroc's time has sadly passed, I think that we can still see a Sword & Shield Pokemon as a DLC character in future fighter passes.
Definitely, and I wouldn't hate it, but I would like to see another Pokemon get added for reasons Incineroar didn't, like popularity that definitely exists instead of probably.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Definitely, and I wouldn't hate it, but I would like to see another Pokemon get added for reasons Incineroar didn't, like popularity that definitely exists instead of probably.
And I want a Pokemon other than a starter getting in, so the fans don't fall into the mindset that only starters have a chance of getting in.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
So, we got yet another plot twist last night.

While new spirits from Sword & Shield don't rule out a Gen 8 newcomer happening eventually, this seems to imply there wasn't one planned yet at whatever point these spirit events were set up--we don't know how far ahead they're drawn up, so it's hard to say. We might be looking at a situation where Gen 8 was still too far off to pull a newcomer from whenever Season 2 was greenlit...which, if Sakurai did lean more into looking for a unique fighter, might give Lycanroc one last shard of hope.

It's not a big one, but it's something.

Last edited:

Cyborg Sun

Smash Apprentice
So, we got yet another plot twist last night.

While new spirits from Sword & Shield don't rule out a Gen 8 newcomer happening eventually, this seems to imply there wasn't one planned yet at whatever point these spirit events were set up--we don't know how far ahead they're drawn up, so it's hard to say. We might be looking at a situation where Gen 8 was still too far off to pull a newcomer from whenever Season 2 was greenlit...which, if Sakurai did lean more into looking for a unique fighter, might give Lycanroc one last shard of hope.

It's not a big one, but it's something.
This is quite interesting... Of course, it was easy to assume that Gen 8 wasn't on the DLC Radar (for Season 2) in the first place due to releasing in the middle of November, but still. It also makes me raise an eyebrow at the fact that Astral Chain didn't get any Spirit Event when it released (Yet Daemon X Machina did). Hmm...

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
This is quite interesting... Of course, it was easy to assume that Gen 8 wasn't on the DLC Radar (for Season 2) in the first place due to releasing in the middle of November, but still. It also makes me raise an eyebrow at the fact that Astral Chain didn't get any Spirit Event when it released (Yet Daemon X Machina did). Hmm...
Given how Corrin got in relatively easy during Smash 4's DLC cycle, Gen 8 should've been well within the timeframe for post-pass DLC.

And honesty, I wouldn't even bother reading into missing Spirits anymore. Yes, it's weird that Three Houses and Astral Chain didn't get anything, but it's even weirder that LM3 didn't get a Spirit Event, especially since it's arguably Nintendo's second-biggest game for 2019. Then we have Daemon X Machina, the least popular of the four, getting its own Spirit event.

I think the simplest answer is that Nintendo didn't bother advertising some of these games in Smash. The whole purpose of these Spirits is to advertise new and upcoming releases, not provide content for games that won't be receiving a character. If Nintendo really wanted to promote Three Houses or Astral Chain, they wouldn't rely on a character being released 6-18 months after the game came out.

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Apologies for the silence. I've been dealing with sickness, a nasty shoulder injury, and other stuff irl that has divided my time.

Given how Corrin got in relatively easy during Smash 4's DLC cycle, Gen 8 should've been well within the timeframe for post-pass DLC.

And honesty, I wouldn't even bother reading into missing Spirits anymore. Yes, it's weird that Three Houses and Astral Chain didn't get anything, but it's even weirder that LM3 didn't get a Spirit Event, especially since it's arguably Nintendo's second-biggest game for 2019. Then we have Daemon X Machina, the least popular of the four, getting its own Spirit event.

I think the simplest answer is that Nintendo didn't bother advertising some of these games in Smash. The whole purpose of these Spirits is to advertise new and upcoming releases, not provide content for games that won't be receiving a character. If Nintendo really wanted to promote Three Houses or Astral Chain, they wouldn't rely on a character being released 6-18 months after the game came out.
It's worth mentioning that we've reason to believe Corrin was locked in some time between April and June of 2015, as the mid-June update that year (with Lucas, Roy, and Ryu) was the one that added the placeholder data that was eventually used by Corrin. Since Fire Emblem Fates released in Japan in June of that year, it means they gave the all clear on Corrin at a point where Corrin's debut game had either finished development or was very close. So it's actually a very different situation, potentially!

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Apologies for the silence. I've been dealing with sickness, a nasty shoulder injury, and other stuff irl that has divided my time.

It's worth mentioning that we've reason to believe Corrin was locked in some time between April and June of 2015, as the mid-June update that year (with Lucas, Roy, and Ryu) was the one that added the placeholder data that was eventually used by Corrin. Since Fire Emblem Fates released in Japan in June of that year, it means they gave the all clear on Corrin at a point where Corrin's debut game had either finished development or was very close. So it's actually a very different situation, potentially!
Depends on when they greenlit the additional fighters. All we know is that the sales of the current pass convinced Nintendo to up the budget, so that could potentially be as late as June 2019. Even if we assume the decision was made at the absolute earliest possible date (November 2018), that would still place it exactly one year away from SwSh, meaning that development for the games should've been in the late stages by then.

Regardless, we already know that Sakurai is fully capable of adding Pokemon up to a year before the release of their game, as seen by Greninja. The only way this would be different is if you start arguing that DLC is handled differently from the base game, and that relies far too much on assumptions and theories.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
If anything, I think people submitting to Incineroar is a bigger concern than whether or not Gen 8 is on the table.

While the post-pass DLC could actually acknowledge complaints about Waluigi, Isaac, Rex etc. not being playable in the same way 4's DLC acknowledged complaints about Mewtwo and Roy still being cut, this means it can also acknowledge the crowd that thinks a Pokemon taunting automatically is better than having proper representation for its generation.

A reverse snap like this is good regardless, but it's not gonna be a perfect one.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
The only thing in Lycanroc's favor is that there is enough content to be added that could justify a second Alolan Pokemon on the roster.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Depends on when they greenlit the additional fighters. All we know is that the sales of the current pass convinced Nintendo to up the budget, so that could potentially be as late as June 2019. Even if we assume the decision was made at the absolute earliest possible date (November 2018), that would still place it exactly one year away from SwSh, meaning that development for the games should've been in the late stages by then.

Regardless, we already know that Sakurai is fully capable of adding Pokemon up to a year before the release of their game, as seen by Greninja. The only way this would be different is if you start arguing that DLC is handled differently from the base game, and that relies far too much on assumptions and theories.
This is an argument we go back and forth on.

We’ve seen that Sakurai seems to have changed his philosophy when it comes to picking characters early. We’ve seen how with both Corrin during Smash 4 DLC and now Incineroar seems to have been chosen near the releases of their games, which means Sakurai isn’t willing to pick a character much ahead of time like he did with Roy and Greninja prior.

This could be proven by the Sword and Shield spirit event as well. If a Sword and Shield character were to have been Fighter Pass #5, they probably would’ve waited until Fighter Pass #5 was released to have them go along with the fighter. In this case, it seems that a Sword and Shield character wasn’t considered for DLC at the moment. A Sword and Shield character could show up later in the upcoming year, but we know that Sword and Shield wasn’t considered for this DLC cycle.

I’m not sure how much wiggle room it gives for Lycanroc at this point, but it’s something.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
This is an argument we go back and forth on.

We’ve seen that Sakurai seems to have changed his philosophy when it comes to picking characters early. We’ve seen how with both Corrin during Smash 4 DLC and now Incineroar seems to have been chosen near the releases of their games, which means Sakurai isn’t willing to pick a character much ahead of time like he did with Roy and Greninja prior.

This could be proven by the Sword and Shield spirit event as well. If a Sword and Shield character were to have been Fighter Pass #5, they probably would’ve waited until Fighter Pass #5 was released to have them go along with the fighter. In this case, it seems that a Sword and Shield character wasn’t considered for DLC at the moment. A Sword and Shield character could show up later in the upcoming year, but we know that Sword and Shield wasn’t considered for this DLC cycle.

I’m not sure how much wiggle room it gives for Lycanroc at this point, but it’s something.
Never argued that a Sword and Shield could be Fighter #5. I'm just saying that there's very little reason to believe the games weren't able to be considered for anything after, like Fighter #6 and so on.

And I wouldn't argue that Sakurai has changed his mind on choosing characters early just because we got two characters whose games were close to being released at the time they were decided. In Incineroar's case, who else could he have picked that came from a game later than SuMo? Unless you think SwSh could've had a character chosen almost three years before its games were released, Dusk Lycanroc, Marshadow, and Melmetal are the only options who are within a reasonable time frame later than SuMo's November 2016 release.

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Not much to talk about at the moment, eh? Everyone's either playing Sword & Shield or nervously awaiting whenever the next reveal will be.

What's on your minds, everyone? Thoughts on how DLC has been handled so far? Let's get some discussion going again.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Not much to talk about at the moment, eh? Everyone's either playing Sword & Shield or nervously awaiting whenever the next reveal will be.

What's on your minds, everyone? Thoughts on how DLC has been handled so far? Let's get some discussion going again.
Well, the chances of a Nintendo character being the last Fighter Pass character is seemingly much more likely. Lots of characters and series that people have thought were front runners ended up being disconfirmed by either Vergeben or even Nintendo themselves, and there don’t seem to be many choices left.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Well, the chances of a Nintendo character being the last Fighter Pass character is seemingly much more likely. Lots of characters and series that people have thought were front runners ended up being disconfirmed by either Vergeben or even Nintendo themselves, and there don’t seem to be many choices left.
Well, there's only Capcom and double dipping in Sega, SE, and Microsoft left that I can think of.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Does everyone agree that the 5th fighter reveal will be at The Game Awards?

MasteRMerF

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MasteRMerF
3DS FC
5000-2607-1297
I am very much hoping we get some sort of announcement. I've seen people here and there on other sites say an announcement is "guaranteed" which, unless I've missed something recently, isn't the case, although on the other hand, The Game Awards would be the perfect place for the announcement of the final Pack 1 Fighter.

Cyborg Sun

Smash Apprentice
Thoughts on how DLC has been handled so far? Let's get some discussion going again.
Once again, the radio silence at times absolutely sucks. Aside from that though, the DLC has been handled really well. The patches are pretty good and the DLC releases are very consistent (way more than Smash 4's DLC releases, that's for sure). Not to mention those Sakurai videos they've been doing since Hero are cute.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
I am very much hoping we get some sort of announcement. I've seen people here and there on other sites say an announcement is "guaranteed" which, unless I've missed something recently, isn't the case, although on the other hand, The Game Awards would be the perfect place for the announcement of the final Pack 1 Fighter.
The only things that are ''hinting'' at an announcement is the Game Awards twitter reminding us of Joker's Reveal and a comment from Sakurai at the Smash Tournament in Japan saying that he came from finishing work on a character.

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Seems the most likely outcome at this point, but we should also consider possible alternatives. Best not to put all of our eggs in one basket, so to speak.

I don't believe Vergben has said anything in months, actually. It's been Sabi and whoever his sources are that've been ruling out characters for Fighter #5.

That said...the way things are panning out does raise the chances of a first party character being a Corrin-esque pick for the end of this wave. Whoever it is, though, they better either have a jaw dropper of a trailer or show off an extremely unique and inspired moveset, or else the backlash for defying the fandom's expectations will break records...

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Seems the most likely outcome at this point, but we should also consider possible alternatives. Best not to put all of our eggs in one basket, so to speak.

I don't believe Vergben has said anything in months, actually. It's been Sabi and whoever his sources are that've been ruling out characters for Fighter #5.

That said...the way things are panning out does raise the chances of a first party character being a Corrin-esque pick for the end of this wave. Whoever it is, though, they better either have a jaw dropper of a trailer or show off an extremely unique and inspired moveset, or else the backlash for defying the fandom's expectations will break records...
Verge recently said that FP5 is not from Namco Bandai or Level 5.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
The calm before the storm, this is. Wonder how the other threads are faring?

Verge recently said that FP5 is not from Namco Bandai or Level 5.
Can you verify that? I haven't heard of it anywhere else so far. Are you sure it's not just hearsay?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Can you verify that? I haven't heard of it anywhere else so far. Are you sure it's not just hearsay?
If we're to believe everything insiders are saying. Fighter #5 is not...
  • A Bandai Namco character
  • A Capcom character
  • A Level 5 character
  • A Bethesda character
  • A Ubisoft character
  • Ryu Hayabusa
  • Scorpion
  • Geno
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Tracer
  • Gordon Freeman

Last edited:

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
  • A Capcom character
  • A Level 5 character
  • A Bethesda character
  • A Ubisoft character
  • Ryu Hayabusa
  • Scorpion
  • Geno
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Tracer
  • Gordon Freeman
And according to Sabi today, add Sora onto that list.

It really doesn't leave many 3rd party characters which makes me wonder who really is that character.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
  • A Capcom character
  • A Level 5 character
  • A Bethesda character
  • A Ubisoft character
  • Ryu Hayabusa
  • Scorpion
  • Geno
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Tracer
  • Gordon Freeman
And according to Sabi today, add Sora onto that list.

It really doesn't leave many 3rd party characters which makes me wonder who really is that character.
To be absolutely sure...are all of those companies ruled out? Has Capcom as a whole been deconfirmed for Fighter #5, or just Dante? Has all of Bethesda, or just Doomguy? We want to be certain we're understanding the actual picture here and not just a skewed version created from people in the community playing telephone and getting the message misconstrued.

RidleyKraid187

Smash Journeyman
To be absolutely sure...are all of those companies ruled out? Has Capcom as a whole been deconfirmed for Fighter #5, or just Dante? Has all of Bethesda, or just Doomguy? We want to be certain we're understanding the actual picture here and not just a skewed version created from people in the community playing telephone and getting the message misconstrued.
Well, unfortunately, Vergeben’s come and ruled out almost everyone.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/78218788?page=5#51

It’s.... really frustrating. Truth be told, I’d rather be getting no new information than all these soul-crushing deconfirmations. There’s nothing fun about suggesting a character and having their entire company being shot down before the idea can even set in...

That said, at this point.... Kratos hasn’t been deconfirmed? I guess?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Well, unfortunately, Vergeben’s come and ruled out almost everyone.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/78218788?page=5#51

It’s.... really frustrating. Truth be told, I’d rather be getting no new information than all these soul-crushing deconfirmations. There’s nothing fun about suggesting a character and having their entire company being shot down before the idea can even set in...

That said, at this point.... Kratos hasn’t been deconfirmed? I guess?
"It being a Nintendo character" could possibly mean that it still falls under the Pokemon/Itoi/HAL/Intelligent Systems/Monolith copyrights (would Waluigi/Isaac need a Camelot copyright if they somehow happened?), but at this point I expect another Joker situation.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
"It being a Nintendo character" could possibly mean that it still falls under the Pokemon/Itoi/HAL/Intelligent Systems/Monolith copyrights (would Waluigi/Isaac need a Camelot copyright if they somehow happened?), but at this point I expect another Joker situation.
Waluigi wouldn’t, but Isaac would since he’s from a Camelot franchise.

At this point, it seems some people have come out saying that Vergeben’s sudden deconfirmation spree is suspicious at least. I’m not really sure what to make of it myself.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Well, this is a weird turn of events. If Vergeben's source is accurate, then basically 99% of available options are (temporarily) out of the running. Who would even be left? An indie character who isn't a spirit yet, like Quote or the Knight?

That said, he's had faulty sources a few times in the past, so this may be another example. Back before the February Direct he said the long-rumored Star Fox: Grand Prix was going to show up, and it never did. I don't think he'd deliberately try to troll anyone, but it's possible he's mistaken or even been deceived.

That's another possiblity: the source could've been mistaken about which company a certain IP belonged to. For example, if Fighter #5 is, say, Euden from Dragalia Lost, they might've believed it was a Cygames franchise when it's actually a Nintendo-owned one they collaborated with Cygames to make.

At this point, it seems some people have come out saying that Vergeben’s sudden deconfirmation spree is suspicious at least. I’m not really sure what to make of it myself.
Has anyone notable expressed skepticism toward it, or is it just community members in general? The latter tells us nothing, but the former might.

Meanwhile, this whole situation might've just become even more complicated:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Fighter #5 might not show up at The Game Awards at all. Well, if that does come to pass and we're left waiting for a January Direct or something, that'd at least raise the chances of them ending with another under-the-radar pick.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Well, this is a weird turn of events. If Vergeben's source is accurate, then basically 99% of available options are (temporarily) out of the running. Who would even be left? An indie character who isn't a spirit yet, like Quote or the Knight?

That said, he's had faulty sources a few times in the past, so this may be another example. Back before the February Direct he said the long-rumored Star Fox: Grand Prix was going to show up, and it never did. I don't think he'd deliberately try to troll anyone, but it's possible he's mistaken or even been deceived.

That's another possiblity: the source could've been mistaken about which company a certain IP belonged to. For example, if Fighter #5 is, say, Euden from Dragalia Lost, they might've believed it was a Cygames franchise when it's actually a Nintendo-owned one they collaborated with Cygames to make.

Has anyone notable expressed skepticism toward it, or is it just community members in general? The latter tells us nothing, but the former might.

Meanwhile, this whole situation might've just become even more complicated:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Fighter #5 might not show up at The Game Awards at all. Well, if that does come to pass and we're left waiting for a January Direct or something, that'd at least raise the chances of them ending with another under-the-radar pick.
Push Dustin and Jon from GameXplain made follow up tweets regarding it.

Now I understand that Push is not really much of an insider and could be his speculation but Jon absolutely is and he expressed that the abundance of deconfirmations made no sense at this point.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Push Dustin and Jon from GameXplain made follow up tweets regarding it.

Now I understand that Push is not really much of an insider and could be his speculation but Jon absolutely is and he expressed that the abundance of deconfirmations made no sense at this point.
Where did Jon say that in particular? I just gave his Twitter a once over, and it seems like the only thing he's said on the matter is expressing frustration over people asking him to corroborate other people's rumors. Did I miss something?

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Here's the thing, all these deconfirmations could be worthless given that Vergeben mentioned a Square Enix rep would come along or after Ken & Incineroar, but there was 0 mention of Joker (he also didn't say anything about King K. Rool). There's a big chance these insiders don't know the order of these characters and that these deconfirmations could be after the 5th dlc character. It's still up in the air.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Here's the thing, all these deconfirmations could be worthless given that Vergeben mentioned a Square Enix rep would come along or after Ken & Incineroar, but there was 0 mention of Joker (he also didn't say anything about King K. Rool). There's a big chance these insiders don't know the order of these characters and that these deconfirmations could be after the 5th dlc character. It's still up in the air.
I'd say the leaking of Hero could be imperfect/outdated as well, when they were primarily focusing on Erdrick who turned out to be one of four Heroes playable, and not even the main one.

RidleyKraid187

Smash Journeyman
Where did Jon say that in particular? I just gave his Twitter a once over, and it seems like the only thing he's said on the matter is expressing frustration over people asking him to corroborate other people's rumors. Did I miss something?
It might be a mandala effect thing going on here- I remember Jon saying something too, and Sabi responding to it, and I was going bring it up earlier. However, I couldn’t find anything on Twitter so I just dismissed it. Either they deleted the supposed tweets, or more likely, we’re just misremembering things.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
It was NantenJax instead, but Jon’s in the comments.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Sorry for the double posting but...

Nintendo isn’t out of the running yet as was confirmed by Vergeben himself as an error/wasn’t in his updated list of deconfirmed characters yet.

If you’re confused about all of this, can’t blame you. But at least we’re still in the race.

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Sorry for the double posting but...

Nintendo isn’t out of the running yet as was confirmed by Vergeben himself as an error/wasn’t in his updated list of deconfirmed characters yet.

If you’re confused about all of this, can’t blame you. But at least we’re still in the race.
Yeah, he followed up yesterday morning's post late in the evening, saying he'd misinterpreted what his source had told him. He'd thought the source was deconfirming every company he asked about, but the only actual deconfirmations were of the characters he asked about by name.

Which means his source is actually only ruling out:
  • Bandai Namco
  • Level-5
  • Ubisoft
  • Falcom
  • Nippon Ichi Software
  • Gordon Freeman
  • Doomguy / Doom Slayer
  • Geno
  • Scorpion
  • Ryu Hayabusa
  • Arle Nadja
  • Sakura from Sakura Wars
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Tracer
  • Reimu Hakurei
  • Kat from Gravity Rush
As well as Dante and Sora, not mentioned here but struck down by Sabi's source.

So yeah, that's our actual situation right now. Complete with the legitimate possibility of Fighter #5 not being a TGA reveal. Or one of these insider sources could end up mistaken, who knows.

Last edited:
Top Bottom