• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Day, Night, and Dusk - Lycanroc for Smash Bros. Ultimate

Staarih

Smash Master
Yeah, that’s quite a cut but I was kinda prepared for it, and am surprisingly okay with a more limited amount of Pokémon this time around. Even though I ”lost” some favourites like Lycanroc and Zoroark, they’re not gone forever and I’m confident GF will at least try to recycle the Pokémon for upcoming games so the gaps will be filled. Having close to a thousand Pokémon doesn’t seem too sustainable.

Gen 8 is definitely delivering when it comes to new Pokémon and I always play games with new Pokémon only so I’m all good.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Big day for potential leaks apparently, this time Smash related:
Someone on /v/ posted footage of a battle where two Mii Fighters were wearing new hats, one based on Mallow and one based on the Cacodemon from Doom.

Jury's out on the legitimacy of the footage though. The modding community seems to be under the consensus that, while someone could've just moded those costumes in, it would be an extremely difficult and meticulous effort that no one has been successful at yet.

If this is true, this basically confirms Doom Marine and heavily hints that either Geno's costume is coming back or he's coming as a fighter

Cyborg Sun

Smash Apprentice
Big day for potential leaks apparently, this time Smash related:
Someone on /v/ posted footage of a battle where two Mii Fighters were wearing new hats, one based on Mallow and one based on the Cacodemon from Doom.

Jury's out on the legitimacy of the footage though. The modding community seems to be under the consensus that, while someone could've just moded those costumes in, it would be an extremely difficult and meticulous effort that no one has been successful at yet.

If this is true, this basically confirms Doom Marine and heavily hints that either Geno's costume is coming back or he's coming as a fighter
A juicy day to be sure...
I've seen the videos (ate them up like chocolate, I did) and I'm leaning towards them being real. I know mods are a thing, but...

Seems like it's unlikely, as there aren't many mods beyond simple recolors. Do note that the videos themselves have some oddities (The Miis aren't named, the timer is frozen, etc.), however that could just be because it was recorded from a dev build. Also, before anyone brings up the Pirate Hat thing... that's an assist trophy item, not a hat.

If true, why a Mallow hat instead of the Geno costume? Well, I have two theories:

1. There is the Geno costume to go with it, but the leaker wanted to spare Geno fans the pain, I guess? Or, more likely, the Mallow Hat is new and the Geno costume is old news.
2. Geno as a fighter is actually in the works...

I also have a third theory that can work in conjunction with one of the other two theories: These costumes have nothing to do with the next fighter. Unlikely, given the Bethesda costume, but still worth considering.

EDIT: I also found this.

FINAL EDIT: Seems like Sabi's getting confirmation on it. Now the wait begins...

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
If Lycanroc isn't fighter #5, I consider its chances to be dead
Understandable. Like I said, when Smash games got multiple Pokemon newcomers per game, they felt like they were trying to attract different demographics with the two new Pokemon reps, and both Incineroar and Lycanroc were being pushed as "cool" by the anime even though one still got more spotlight.

I don't think Zacian is guaranteed, and I've pointed out that it's not what I mainly want, but it would feel like a "different demographic" Pokemon by being a legendary.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
So, the thing with this potential leak is that even if it is real, what it means is not as clear-cut as it seems.

While these costumes may well imply characters from their games are in the works...we've also seen several costumes in the past from franchises that don't have a playable counterpart or even an Assist Trophy or the like. We saw it happen with Chibi-Robo, Lip, Takamaru, Ray Mk III, Saki, and the Nintendo Labo gear in the base game, Goemon and (famously) Sans so far with DLC, and Smash 4's DLC run had several third party examples: Heihachi, Lloyd, Akira and Jacky, Gilius, and two Monster Hunter armor sets. This muddies the waters a little, because it means either, or even both, costumes may not necessarily portend a newcomer.

To make things more complicated, if both costumes are in the same test build, there's a fairly substantial chance that they're both part of the same update. If that's the case, only one at most could be coming with a character. Between the two, I gotta think a Mallow hat is pretty suspicious--he isn't brought up as often when talking Super Mario RPG content, which may suggest they're pulling more from the game than just that.

While it's possible both Geno and Doomguy are happening, things are not as open-and-shut as the hype train seems to think. So, keep a close eye on the situation and keep multiple outcomes in mind.

Oh, and try not to let the train run you over. Hopefully whoever's driving the thing doesn't start steering toward the people asking these questions again.

Last edited:

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Since we've looked into Sakurai's words before, here's a new one:

1573046079609.png

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

View attachment 245430
I'll take that statement with a grain of salt because FE characters have always been either the main lord or the avatar. Lucina is the only exception, and she's and Echo.

Pokemon characters are handled similarly, especially ones that were chosen before there was any context for popularity. There's a reason why both of the Pokemon this applies to were starters.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I'll take that statement with a grain of salt because FE characters have always been either the main lord or the avatar. Lucina is the only exception, and she's and Echo.

Pokemon characters are handled similarly, especially ones that were chosen before there was any context for popularity. There's a reason why both of the Pokemon this applies to were starters.
And there's also Zelda's reps solely being the Triforce Trio, and recognizability is one of the reasons why he tried to justify Piranha Plant's inclusion.

At least Lycanroc isn't alone when it comes to notable characters not being in Smash in any form, except Mai has a better reason.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin

View attachment 245430
It's...reassuring that it's still on his mind, at least. Though in practice it hasn't come to the forefront much as of late. The entire pass has felt more about star power and pipe dream picks, first and foremost. While that's not a bad thing, it's inadvertently come at the cost of the more under-the-radar choices we got in previous games. Even the base roster ended up feeling more like a mix of answering fan requests and checking off boxes, in a way. We didn't have a Ness or Pit or Shulk or the like--the closest we've had is Piranha Plant, and that's it.

Hopefully there's still a place for characters like that. Would be disappointing if anyone who wasn't already a big deal before the fact were to get locked out the rest of the way...including Nintendo's entire own repertoire...

Last edited:

Crimson Helios

Smash Rookie
So, what do you guys think of Terry Bogard. I think he's fine, though a little to complicated thanks to those inputs and supers. And here I thought no one could get more complicated than DQ hero, at least he activates all his specials similar to all the others. Not to mention thanks to the D-Pad being the taunts some of Terry's inputs are kind of hard to do. Though now that makes me wonder how I beat his Spirit Board with no losses. Then again, I did use Celebi.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
So, what do you guys think of Terry Bogard. I think he's fine, though a little to complicated thanks to those inputs and supers. And here I thought no one could get more complicated than DQ hero, at least he activates all his specials similar to all the others. Not to mention thanks to the D-Pad being the taunts some of Terry's inputs are kind of hard to do. Though now that makes me wonder how I beat his Spirit Board with no losses. Then again, I did use Celebi.
He was one of my most wanted, so I'm fine with those inputs. I just wish "Stand up" was one of his victory poses instead of having two cap throws, and in the taunt's place was his whistle taunt.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
It's...reassuring that it's still on his mind, at least. Though in practice it hasn't come to the forefront much as of late. The entire pass has felt more about star power and pipe dream picks, first and foremost. While that's not a bad thing, it's inadvertently come at the cost of the more under-the-radar choices we got in previous games. Even the base roster ended up feeling more like a mix of answering fan requests and checking off boxes, in a way. We didn't have a Ness or Pit or Shulk or the like--the closest we've had is Piranha Plant, and that's it.

Hopefully there's still a place for characters like that. Would be disappointing if anyone who wasn't already a big deal before the fact were to get locked out the rest of the way...including Nintendo's entire own repertoire...
To be fair, Hero, Banjo & Terry kind of fulfill that: Hero is really well known in Japan given DQ is a phenomenon over there and not many people overseas know or care for the series, Banjo is huge overseas mostly for nostalgia purposes and even if there's fans in Japan it's not a necesarely very talked about series over there, and Terry is really huge in Latin America given how huge arcades were and even lasted over there and SNK was the one that left the biggest impact (while alot of North americans didn't even know what the series was and maybe along with other countries as well).

Still feel that statement holds water, just not very well demonstrated.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Coming back from the Terry video, I’m kinda mix on Terry. SNK content is bomb and all, but no Garou costume, the weird mix of command inputs and no command inputs, and a cheap super gimmick doesn’t make me that much more interested in Terry.

I’m a bit ashamed that there wasn’t a newcomer trailer during Terry’s presentation. I feel like Lycanroc would’ve fit perfectly here, but alas, here’s hoping we still might that soon. Sakurai saying that a newcomers’ main appeal is from gameplay rather than recognizability and popularity really helps our argument that first parties and characters from already represented series still have a chance.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Sakurai saying that a newcomers’ main appeal is from gameplay rather than recognizability and popularity really helps our argument that first parties and characters from already represented series still have a chance.
At the same time, it could also be used to justify continuing the Greninjaroar pattern and ignoring established fan favorites.

I also get that it's weird for Power Wave to not have an input variation, but considering the power of input Burn Knuckle I don't mind. If we got Kyo instead I would've taken that far better than I did Incineroar.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
At the same time, it could also be used to justify continuing the Greninjaroar pattern and ignoring established fan favorites.

I also get that it's weird for Power Wave to not have an input variation, but considering the power of input Burn Knuckle I don't mind. If we got Kyo instead I would've taken that far better than I did Incineroar.
Yeah, I would’ve honestly saw this Fighter Pass much more differently if we got Kyo. I know Sakurai used the Fatal Fury version of King of Fighters to justify having it along Terry, but come on, it’s clearly based on The King of Fighters, and I feel Kyo would’ve been a much better fit.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I honestly really dig Challenge Pack #4. Terry is honestly buckets of fun, he's probably my second favourite DLC character this far after Hero (who was one of my most wanted). Plus, you get an awesome stage and a boatload of music as a bonus. Any world where Blue Mary gets a physical appearance in Super Smash Bros is a good one.

Regarding the Terry vs Kyo debate, I could see why some would want Kyo, but I think Terry was ultimately the better choice. While Kyo is the face of SNK's biggest franchise, Terry is the face of SNK. Not only is he the protagonist of the game that really put SNK on the map, but he's the character people think of when SNK comes up. It's sort of like Mega Man and Ryu or Leon Kennedy: Ryu and Leon are from bigger games, but Mega Man is more iconic as a character.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Regarding the Terry vs Kyo debate, I could see why some would want Kyo, but I think Terry was ultimately the better choice. While Kyo is the face of SNK's biggest franchise, Terry is the face of SNK. Not only is he the protagonist of the game that really put SNK on the map, but he's the character people think of when SNK comes up. It's sort of like Mega Man and Ryu or Leon Kennedy: Ryu and Leon are from bigger games, but Mega Man is more iconic as a character.
Mainly what I was saying is that if Kyo got in instead of Terry, I wouldn't react as negatively as I did with Incineroar getting in over Mimikyu/Lycanroc.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
That's the thing: Most companies that have crossed over into Smash have had their most iconic character added first. The only exceptions so far have been Microsoft (since Banjo & Kazooie were more associated with Nintendo, heavily requested, and were considered for a prior entry nearly two decades ago) and Konami (who even is their "most iconic character" is arguably up for debate). Guests and retro throwback picks have followed such different guidelines than everyone else that we can't really compare them to typical first party newcomers. Apples and oranges, they are.

Meanwhile, speculation on the next newcomer has taken an even more complicated turn, as an insider is striking down a couple more possibilities...

There was a problem fetching the tweet

So if Sabi's source is to be believed, #5 is not Crash, Hayabusa, Geno, or Doomguy. The way he's worded things makes it unclear whether he believes his source knows who #5 actually is, but he's decided not to say anything regarding that unless another insider speaks out with corroborating info (must not want the Nintendo ninjas after him again, lol).

With nearly all the popular talking points seemingly ruled out until Season 2, it narrows down the field of possibilities and raises the odds of another curveball pick significantly.

Thoughts, everyone?

Last edited:

Cyborg Sun

Smash Apprentice
Hmm... interesting... Well, I do love me some more curveball picks. My hopes for a first party in the Pass dwindle (especially since there's gonna be more anyways, so whatever) but... maybe...?

Crimson Helios

Smash Rookie
So, I've been watching a playthrough of Sword and Shield (and downloaded because you know they will get removed) and there's something I just can't get my mind off of. (Clears throat)
YOU ENCOUNTER THE LEGENDARY RIGHT AT THE BEGINNING OF THE GAME?!?! AND WHEN I SAY ENCOUNTER I DON'T MEAN MEET, YOU LITERALLY FIGHT ZACIAN/ZAMAZENTA!!

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Datamining for Sword/Shield has begun:
Three interesting things have been found so far:
1. There has been a massive move cut to go along with the Dex cut. Notable casualties include Pursuit, Return, and Hidden Power. Oddly, enough Accelerock IS in the game, despite Lycanroc not being there.
https://pastebin.com/raw/3FTfUgzd
2. There's no data for Pokemon not in the Pokedex. Period. They've been scrubbed clean from the game's code.
3. However, some Pokemon NOT in the Dex are present and accessable in the game's code: Bulbasaur and its evolutions, Squirtle and its evolutions, Mewtwo, Mew, the Alola starters and their evolutions, and Meltan/Melmetal. No one is entirely sure what this means, if these Pokemon will be accessable in a later update or if they're completely unused (no one has been able to find models for these Pokemon, for instance).

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Datamining for Sword/Shield has begun:
Three interesting things have been found so far:
1. There has been a massive move cut to go along with the Dex cut. Notable casualties include Pursuit, Return, and Hidden Power. Oddly, enough Accelerock IS in the game, despite Lycanroc not being there.
https://pastebin.com/raw/3FTfUgzd
2. There's no data for Pokemon not in the Pokedex. Period. They've been scrubbed clean from the game's code.
3. However, some Pokemon NOT in the Dex are present and accessable in the game's code: Bulbasaur and its evolutions, Squirtle and its evolutions, Mewtwo, Mew, the Alola starters and their evolutions, and Meltan/Melmetal. No one is entirely sure what this means, if these Pokemon will be accessable in a later update or if they're completely unused (no one has been able to find models for these Pokemon, for instance).
And yet Heart Stamp is cut despite (S)Woobat being in.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Datamining has finally answered the "Are these new models?" question:
It's the same models from Pokedex 3D, but they have new textures (with the old ones still being in the code).

Crimson Helios

Smash Rookie
Also, ever since watching that playthrough I saw a list of all the datamined Pokemon and after looking closely I noticed something very interesting.

http://is2.4chan.org/vp/1573479998959.png

If you look closely to the left of Zacian you will see a wolf that looks remarkably similar, except without the sword. At 1st I was calling nonsense at it, until I realized that it was the exact same Pokemon I saw in this video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NBjVtmsXqS8

Could this be a pre evo, or a different form? I also noticed it with Zamazenta as well.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Also, ever since watching that playthrough I saw a list of all the datamined Pokemon and after looking closely I noticed something very interesting.

http://is2.4chan.org/vp/1573479998959.png

If you look closely to the left of Zacian you will see a wolf that looks remarkably similar, except without the sword. At 1st I was calling nonsense at it, until I realized that it was the exact same Pokemon I saw in this video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NBjVtmsXqS8

Could this be a pre evo, or a different form? I also noticed it with Zamazenta as well.
There's a second version for each.

I think most people in this thread are aware of it already though. Anyone who's been lurking in the Zacian/Zamazenta support thread has probably seen it in a post by now.

D

Deleted member

No matter what happens this week or how Pokemon Sword and Shield do. Despite not getting them I love Galar think the games will be great, as well as Dynamax, Wild Area, and Max Raid Battles will be good excited.

Stocked Should be good.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Regarding Lycanroc and Pokémon Sword and Shield:

I don’t think I commented on this yet, but Lycanroc isn’t coming to Pokémon Sword and Shield. In my opinion, that’s a big bummer, lots of the big Gen 7 Pokémon such as Mimikyu, semi-legendaries, and the starters (albeit in the files) are in the game, but it sucks that of all the Gen 7 Pokémon, Lycanroc is part of the ones that don’t make it back.

I remember in the beginning of this game’s lifecycle I’ve been wondering how Lycanroc could change in these upcoming titles, only for Lycanroc to not be there at all!

Although from what I heard, this game really seems to be the lowest point in the series history. As much as Cosmic77 and people in the #ThankYouGameFreak would want to prove otherwise, this game seems to be a big let down in terms of polish, balancing, and content. 400 Pokémon out of 900 is pretty abysmal and many fan favorites were cut in that process, so Lycanroc isn’t alone to say the least. Lots of moves that helped some Pokémon become viable are gone as well. The game apparently takes about 17-20 hours to complete. And lastly, the graphics and animations, which people were arguing about, have come out to be sub par.

The last thing I feel we should’ve done is give Game Freak and the Pokémon Company a thank you, to a supposedly sub par product in what essentially is a big milestone for the series. Not enough resources, time, and apparently competent developers were spent on this title... which is a shame... because I really do feel that if given that, Galar could’ve been a region to remember.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Although from what I heard, this game really seems to be the lowest point in the series history. As much as Cosmic77 and people in the #ThankYouGameFreak would want to prove otherwise, this game seems to be a big let down in terms of polish, balancing, and content. 400 Pokémon out of 900 is pretty abysmal and many fan favorites were cut in that process, so Lycanroc isn’t alone to say the least. Lots of moves that helped some Pokémon become viable are gone as well. The game apparently takes about 17-20 hours to complete. And lastly, the graphics and animations, which people were arguing about, have come out to be sub par.

The last thing I feel we should’ve done is give Game Freak and the Pokémon Company a thank you, to a supposedly sub par product in what essentially is a big milestone for the series. Not enough resources, time, and apparently competent developers were spent on this title... which is a shame... because I really do feel that if given that, Galar could’ve been a region to remember.
This really shows how I feel about Sword/Shield. I know I've been the obligatory pessimist regarding these games since the game first went downhill at E3, but I really wanted to like these games. However, I'm not going to lie and blindly support a product that appears to be as halfhearted as this one.

Between the bizarre Pokemon cuts (despite the fact they're reusing the models they created to future proof the franchise), the even more bizarre move cuts, the muddy and unrefined presentation, the constant graphical errors, the replacement of mega evolutions and Z-moves with the much more boring Dynamaxing, the removal of the GTS, the underwhelming soundtrack, the steps taken to make this game the most linear and easy entry yet, the lack of a post-game and the locking of a feature as basic as volume control behind an item, there's simply no way I can purchase this game. By doing so, that essentially tells Game Freak and the Pokemon Company, "yes, I am fine with this game in its current state". I don't know if this will have any long term effect, but if it means even having the possibility of sending the message that this isn't okay, then I'll take it.

Regarding #ThankYouGameFreak, I understand the heart behind it, but I think its the wrong approach in this situation. Yes, the Game Freak staff has been taking a lot of **** and harassment from rowdy fans. However, this hashtag does little more than attempt to wave away what is otherwise valid criticism by trying to paint anyone who has an issue with Sword/Shield as little more than a fanboy with a bone to pick. Yes, Game Freak has given me great memories and friends through Pokemon and I wouldn't trade that for the world, but that's exactly why seeing Pokemon in this state hurts so bad. Game Freak has shown us the amazing heights this franchise can fly to when permitted. If I had grown up playing Pokemon Sword or Shield, I honestly don't know if I'd really stick with the series as long as I did. I'd probably assume Pokemon is little more than a mediocre RPG that only a beginner could get much out of and never pay it a second thought.

Besides, I don't think this is an issue with anyone working on the games directly. Instead, it's more an issue with Game Freak expanding as a company and upper management refusing to create the workforce necessary to accomplish this task. During Sword/Shield's development, Game Freak released 3 other games: Pokemon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon, Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee, and Little Town Hero. Likewise, Game Freak's still a relatively small developer of about 150 people or so. It's no wonder Sword/Shield are in the state they're in, valuable staff members were constantly being taken away to do other things. Now, I like Ultra Sun/Moon and Let's Go (never played Little Town Hero, although the lukewarm reviews are making me super excited to), but I would easily sacrifice those games if it meant having a more polished and full Sword/Shield.

Super Mario Odyssey, Breath of the Wild, Three Houses, and Smash Ultimate: these games went through the entire history of the series with a fine-tooth comb, reiterating on what worked while making the hard choice to ditch series convention that didn't work. Combining this with fresh, new ideas, these game have become some of the best in their series and provided the Switch with a strong base. I want to see the same happen to Pokemon, I really do, but blindlessly accepting a clear step backwards isn't going to get us there.

Crimson Helios

Smash Rookie
Ok, can someone tell me how to enter Spoilers? I tried doing Spoiler, /Spoiler, and put them in brackets (the spoiler, /spoiler, not the actual spoilers) but it wouldn't work.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Ok, can someone tell me how to enter Spoilers? I tried doing Spoiler, /Spoiler, and put them in brackets (the spoiler, /spoiler, not the actual spoilers) but it wouldn't work.
There should be a three doted tab (the one that has an arrow facing down) which has a spoiler option where you can put spoilers.

To manually put a spoiler you must have the words you want to put in a spoiler in between a [ SPOILER ] and [ /SPOILER ]*

*Side note there shouldn’t be any space between the [ ] and SPOILER, I just had it that way because it would turn it into a spoiler tab.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Pokemon Sword and Shield are almost here. Hope everyone enjoys them.

Looking forward to reviews and such.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Pokemon Sword and Shield are almost here. Hope everyone enjoys them.

Looking forward to reviews and such.
I'm gonna wait for the third version or whatever they're gonna do. Hope this isn't like XY.

Crimson Helios

Smash Rookie
There should be a three doted tab (the one that has an arrow facing down) which has a spoiler option where you can put spoilers.

To manually put a spoiler you must have the words you want to put in a spoiler in between a [ SPOILER ] and [ /SPOILER ]*

*Side note there shouldn’t be any space between the [ ] and SPOILER, I just had it that way because it would turn it into a spoiler tab.
Thanks for that. Anyways, as I was saying...

Wow, the more I learn about these games the more I'm shocked. Whether it's in a good or bad way depends on the situation, but this time it's incomprehensibly bad. I'm guessing you guys already know about it, but I haven't seen anyone talk about it.
Eternamax is essentially Ultra Necrozma, only 10X worse. This shows all the Pokemon in the game, including their stats: https://pastebin.com/mBKX1Byd. For any curious people who don't want to scroll down that obscenely long list, these are Eternamax's stats:

HP: 255
ATK: 115
DEF: 250
SPEC. ATK:125
SPEC. DEF: 250
SPD: 130
BST (And I kid you not): 1125

Why yes, those defenses are absurd with the ridiculous amount of health. Why no, you aren't imagining that base stat total. This thing is not only the 1st Pokemon ever to reach 800, but also reach, and surpass, 1000! It's no wonder why GF won't let us use it, this thing is so broken not even AG will make it legal, and I know nothing about competetive. So help me, if that battle has a time limit. Oh, and apparently Eternatus can learn Cosmic Power and Recover. It better not have them.

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Meanwhile, in Smash news:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

It seems a minor patch is headed our way in the near future. This may just be fixing that one glitch involving Terry and the Ice Climbers that softlocks the game...or there might be more rebalancing coming with it. Either way, it won't be newcomer-related, but it's still worth keeping an eye on for anyone here who's into competitive play.

Wow, the more I learn about these games the more I'm shocked. Whether it's in a good or bad way depends on the situation, but this time it's incomprehensibly bad. I'm guessing you guys already know about it, but I haven't seen anyone talk about it.
Eternamax is essentially Ultra Necrozma, only 10X worse. This shows all the Pokemon in the game, including their stats: https://pastebin.com/mBKX1Byd. For any curious people who don't want to scroll down that obscenely long list, these are Eternamax's stats:

HP: 255
ATK: 115
DEF: 250
SPEC. ATK:125
SPEC. DEF: 250
SPD: 130
BST (And I kid you not): 1125

Why yes, those defenses are absurd with the ridiculous amount of health. Why no, you aren't imagining that base stat total. This thing is not only the 1st Pokemon ever to reach 800, but also reach, and surpass, 1000! It's no wonder why GF won't let us use it, this thing is so broken not even AG will make it legal, and I know nothing about competetive. So help me, if that battle has a time limit. Oh, and apparently Eternatus can learn Cosmic Power and Recover. It better not have them.
Actually...that one's not quite what it seems.

Apparently Eternamax Eternatus is not obtainable by the player--it's strictly a boss fight. You can only get the base form of Eternatus, and that one's BST is 690, which is in the usual range for major legendaries.

Plus, I'm willing to bet when you fight it ingame you have your game's legendary, and their signature moves deal double damage to dynamaxed enemies, effectively giving them 200 BP STAB moves for the battle. And its offenses are actually significantly lower than Ultra Necozma's (167/167 compared to 115/125 here), meaning this'll be less of a "pack a counter or you're screwed" roadblock of a fight and more like a traditional JRPG boss that takes a lot to bring down.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Regarding Eternamax Eternatus:
It's actually a raid boss fight between the player, Hau, Zacian, and Zamazenta. In fact, the general consensus seems to be the fight is far too easy, as Zacian and Zamazenta are already more than enough to fight Eternatus.

Also, #GameFreakLied is currently the top trending hashtag on Twitter.

Crimson Helios

Smash Rookie
I'm not really into competetive, but how do you guys think Zacian will fair in comparison to the other box art Legends (Remove Primals and Megas, because besides maybe Primal Kyogre they are too overpowered to top)?

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
So, everyone who has Sword or Shield so far, how are you enjoying it? Thoughts on how this generation is starting out so far?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
This thread has been quiet for a bit.

I'm not really into competetive, but how do you guys think Zacian will fair in comparison to the other box art Legends (Remove Primals and Megas, because besides maybe Primal Kyogre they are too overpowered to top)?
I haven't gotten Zacian yet, but I've heard it's insane. A few are even saying it's the strongest Pokemon in the game.

So, everyone who has Sword or Shield so far, how are you enjoying it? Thoughts on how this generation is starting out so far?
I'll give a better summary of my thoughts once I beat the game, but so far I strongly disagree with the community's opinion.

Top Bottom