• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Day, Night, and Dusk - Lycanroc for Smash Bros. Ultimate

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I am going to leave Smashboards soon, so I have one final message for you all.

I greatly thank you all Lycanroc supporters for making Pokemon newcomer speculation so far.

Ever since I discussed Lycanroc's chances in Smash Ultimate in-depth in the RTC thread, the discussion surrounding Pokemon newcomers grew to be a lot of fun.

I loved analyzing bits of Sakurai's Pokemon criteria and observing the progression of the S/M anime/marketing with you guys. It was an intensely fun ride from beginning to end.

I want to thank Delzethin Delzethin , RandomAce RandomAce , Garteam Garteam , and @TCT~Phantom so much for openly contributing to in-depth talk.

I am going to miss you guys. You Lycanroc supporters were the highlight of Ultimate base game speculation for me.

Godspeed, my friend. Your write-ups were always informative, in-depth, well-thought out, and weren't afraid to go outside the box in the best way. Speculation was much better with you around. I wish you luck in the next phase of your life.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Ladies and gentlemen...it's here.

Page 1 - Alts.png

Page 2 - Mechanics & Taunts.png

Page 3 - Tilts.png

Page 4 - Smashes.png

Page 5 - Aerials.png

Page 6 - Grab & Throws.png

Page 7 - Specials.png

Page 8 - Final Smash.png

Page 9 - Special Thanks.png

Page 1 - Alts.png

Page 2 - Mechanics & Taunts.png

Page 3 - Tilts.png

Page 4 - Smashes.png

Page 5 - Aerials.png

Page 6 - Grab & Throws.png

Page 7 - Specials.png

Page 8 - Final Smash.png

Page 9 - Special Thanks.png

Regardless of what happens, now we have at least one moveset out there in visual form for everyone to see.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

View attachment 227085

View attachment 227086

View attachment 227087

View attachment 227088

View attachment 227089

View attachment 227090

View attachment 227091

View attachment 227092

View attachment 227093

Regardless of what happens, now we have at least one moveset out there in visual form for everyone to see.
Not bad, and it looks like something we'd realistically get too. Having a visual for Lycanroc's entire moveset should make it a lot easier for people to see how a quad could work in Smash.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Well, it's tomorrow or never for Lycanroc. Best of luck, and if it doesn't get in I'll hope for Banjo. I think Lycanroc has to worry more about irrelevancy tbh

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Well, it's tomorrow or never for Lycanroc. Best of luck, and if it doesn't get in I'll hope for Banjo. I think Lycanroc has to worry more about irrelevancy tbh
I don't think it's over per-say, but I will admit that adding Lycanroc after E3 would be very unprecedented. Sword and Shield are approaching fast, and Lycanroc is the type of character you'd want released by now.

Wouldn't hurt to start thinking about back-up Pokemon from Gen 8 if you're someone who really wants another Pokemon rep.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Wouldn't hurt to start thinking about back-up Pokemon from Gen 8 if you're someone who really wants another Pokemon rep.
Until I see more of the gen, I'd rather have a better gen 7 rep than a gen 8 rep.

Super10ZX

Smash Journeyman

View attachment 227085

View attachment 227086

View attachment 227087

View attachment 227088

View attachment 227089

View attachment 227090

View attachment 227091

View attachment 227092

View attachment 227093

WOW.... This looks phenomenal! Huge shoutouts to Ryan, Delzethin, and the others in this thread who gave ideas. Really hope this make others interested in the idea of Lycanroc in Smash.

RandomAce

Smash Champion

View attachment 227085

View attachment 227086

View attachment 227087

View attachment 227088

View attachment 227089

View attachment 227090

View attachment 227091

View attachment 227092

View attachment 227093

That was faster than I thought.

Happy we got some visuals. I’m pretty happy with how it turned out, only a couple things I would really change. Here’s hoping it could amount to something.

GlaceonGD

Smash Cadet

View attachment 227085

View attachment 227086

View attachment 227087

View attachment 227088

View attachment 227089

View attachment 227090

View attachment 227091

View attachment 227092

View attachment 227093

Wow, this looks really good, and I'm honored to have helped with some of the ideas. Here's to hoping we can have luck on our quest to get in, while tomorrow doesn't seem like a likely time period for a reveal like this I still look forward to seeing if lycanroc can make it a bit later on. Even though I don't post often, I still 100% support lycanroc, don't worry about me ever dropping the character.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Wow, this looks really good, and I'm honored to have helped with some of the ideas. Here's to hoping we can have luck on our quest to get in, while tomorrow doesn't seem like a likely time period for a reveal like this I still look forward to seeing if lycanroc can make it a bit later on. Even though I don't post often, I still 100% support lycanroc, don't worry about me ever dropping the character.
To be a bit fair, to me Palutena didn't feel like an e3 reveal back in 2014. Pac-Man would've been a better character to end the direct imo.
I know this time around we might have bigger characters to work with, but to me Lycanroc should be revealed as soon as possible given that some people are starting to jump ship to Sword & Shield. I don't personally mind if they wait, but the closer we get to sword & shield the less likely it could happen.

Bu then again they aren't bothered at all if there's upset from people (Corrin, Bayonetta, deconfirming highly requested characters after ending with Incineroar and then show piranha plant, etc.), they'll do what they've gotta do.

GlaceonGD

Smash Cadet
To be a bit fair, to me Palutena didn't feel like an e3 reveal back in 2014. Pac-Man would've been a better character to end the direct imo.
I know this time around we might have bigger characters to work with, but to me Lycanroc should be revealed as soon as possible given that some people are starting to jump ship to Sword & Shield. I don't personally mind if they wait, but the closer we get to sword & shield the less likely it could happen.

Bu then again they aren't bothered at all if there's upset from people (Corrin, Bayonetta, deconfirming highly requested characters after ending with Incineroar and then show piranha plant, etc.), they'll do what they've gotta do.
You've got a point, though I'm still not particularly hopeful for tomorrow to be the day if we ever see it. Regardless, we'll find out what direction they went soon enough, just about 11 more hours till the show starts. Bit nervous actually, pretty worried that I'll sit through the direct just to see another character I don't really care about, so lycanroc would be a very pleasant and welcome surprise.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Well...just a few hours away now.

If anyone else is feeling nervous, then...it's okay to be. I've been having trouble settling down, myself, though for more complicated psychological reasons. It always feels like a lot rides on what happens on this day, and for us, maybe it could. This might spell a miracle for us, or a damning shift in creative direction...or little change at all, depending on which characters or how many are revealed. I've always felt unease in situations like this where results are completely beyond our control--it feels as if our reputation hangs in the balance with nothing we can do about it, even though it shouldn't.

Still...we've seen surprises before. May this one be in our favor for once, our chance to defy the odds.

Last edited:

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Wow, just wow. Easily the best e3 presentation.
I honestly thought that the beginning was a world of light update.

Also, the Banjo & Dragon Quest Character rumors were true. The Hero looks crazy with that magic bar and i loved how they remade the k rool trailer joke with duck hunt.
I never thought that i'd see the day Banjo would be back.

Weird that both have relatively far release dates.

Although, i'm slowly starting to loose faith that Lycanroc will make it in.

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Gotta say...I'm worried.

And not just about our chances.

We've been dealing with some...issues in the community. A lot of vocal opinions, a lot of people relentlessly attacking each other. Popular opinions have sprung up, and others who've questioned them have been mocked for it.

I can't help but fear it's all about to get worse. The way things have panned out has, unwittingly, played right into a lot of their hands. It'll be difficult to support any first party character or anyone short of utter shockers without risking putting a target on your back.

What I'm saying is...be careful, guys. I don't want any of you to have to endure the crap I went through growing up for trying to do my own thing, at least not without knowing what you're getting into and being prepared.

As for now...perhaps a change in focus is in order. How about we take measures to create some kind of legacy? If the sun is beginning to set on our chances, then the least we can do is give people a reason to wish we'd made it.

Last edited:

Cyborg Sun

Smash Apprentice
Let us not lose all hope just yet... I actually theorize Nintendo strategically developed these next 2 characters in particular before fighters 4 and 5 specifically for the purpose of E3 reveals.

Mark my words: There will be at least one first party in the Fighters Pass. We won't see them this summer or maybe even this fall, but we'll see them.

And if not? Well... there is still the possibility of "Season 2" in the air, right?

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Gotta say...I'm worried.

And not just about our chances.

We've been dealing with some...issues in the community. A lot of vocal opinions, a lot of people relentlessly attacking each other. Popular opinions have sprung up, and others who've questioned them have been mocked for it.

I can't help but fear it's all about to get worse. The way things have panned out has, unwittingly, played right into a lot of their hands. It'll be difficult to support any first party character or anyone short of utter shockers without risking putting a target on your back.

What I'm saying is...be careful, guys. I don't want any of you to have to endure the crap I went through growing up for trying to do my own thing, at least not without knowing what you're getting into and being prepared.

As for now...perhaps a change in focus is in order. How about we take measures to create some kind of legacy? If the sun is beginning to set on our chances, then the least we can do is give people a reason to wish we'd made it.
Okay at this point Lycanroc is about fixing your childhood or what?
Again, we've speculated in the face of a leak and no FBI officer was on your doorstep for that either. Ever since speculation started you've thought "oh man they *surely* must be coming to maul *me* personally and yet despite leaks popping up and being confirmed, the only "target on your back" didnt catch any darts

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Well... there is still the possibility of "Season 2" in the air, right?
Let me say it again: A Gen 7 Pokemon has to worry more about becoming irrelevant that someone whose heyday was on the N64.

Speaking of which, I'm glad it happened. Also, the DQ rep turned out better than I expected, it's pretty cool how you can choose between different heroes instead of Erdrick.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Tbh, i've never been so excited for a character i'm not familiarized with, but Banjo coming back is such a big deal for many people.
And regardless on whether you care/don't care for Dragon Quest, it's very much a phenomenon in Japan.
Plus i find they magic gameplay to be crazy. I believe i saw a self-destruct spell, which would be insane to have.

Last edited:

Cyborg Sun

Smash Apprentice
Let me say it again: A Gen 7 Pokemon has to worry more about becoming irrelevant that someone whose heyday was on the N64.
Hmm... maybe I should've specified I was really referring to just first parties in particular. Guess that makes it kinda off topic in a thread about Lycanroc? Oh well.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
That said, congrats to everyone involved! Every character has their fans, and I know Banjo in particular has a lot of them. It's just...not easy to congratulate someone else when it feels like you haven't been given a fair chance to compete.

Complicated feelings. Perhaps I've slipped up by dragging them into here.

Okay at this point Lycanroc is about fixing your childhood or what?
Again, we've speculated in the face of a leak and no FBI officer was on your doorstep for that either. Ever since speculation started you've thought "oh man they *surely* must be coming to maul *me* personally and yet despite leaks popping up and confirming the only "target on your back" didnt catch any darts
Nah. I'm just using my own admittedly not-the-greatest experiences as a reference point because I don't want to watch it repeat at the expense of you guys. We all have our flaws; I'm just not very good at hiding mine.

-----

For what it's worth, I don't have a bone to pick with either choice. I was neutral on both characters going into it, and I'm legitimately intrigued by the Hero's spell menu mechanic. I'm just worried about what these circumstances could mean in the big picture, both for us and anyone like us.

I think it'll come down to us getting a better understanding of why these two were chosen. I think we'll have to wait for Sakurai to talk more about them for that.

Though we could really use another non-leaked reveal right about now, if only to make things feel less fatalistic...

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Now could actually be a good turning point when it comes to discussing Lycanroc in the community. Much of pre-E3 speculation was based around Square and Microsoft's reps. With the Hero and Banjo, that's no longer going to be a major issue. People are going to start looking again for what's next, now that the expected is out of the way.

The main downside is trying to sell a first-party after 3 consecutive third parties. Although, with Banjo having a fall release, perhaps Fighter's Pack #4 and 5 will be released simultaneously? I think people might be willing to accept something they perceive to have less spectacle if there's another fighter who fits more in line with what the general community thinks is necessary for a DLC character.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
That was an interesting E3 in regards to Smash.

Nudges on Lycanroc’s chances a bit, as now they would show up much closer to Sword and Shield’s release. Regardless, I agree with Garteam as with the biggest characters that were constantly talked about out of the way, it seems we may now have more lee way.

Well not just in speculation, but, actually in the pass as well. Smash always had a history of revealing the bigger characters first, dlc included. So I feel that with Joker, Hero, and Banjo, who are arguably the biggest reveals for this pass, already out of the way, I feel that the chances of a smaller first party character being the next reveal is much more likely. And I think this is where Lycanroc can fit in, being either a solo reveal in something smaller like a General Nintendo Direct or shadowdrop, or part of a Smash Direct alongside the last newcomer.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
So uh...

Apparently, if a Pokemon is not in the Galar dex, it cannot be transferred up to Sword and Shield.

I don't get this at all. I could understand waiting to develop certain Pokemon until after launch and add them with the update that adds compatibility with Pokemon Home, but outright scrapping them as playable characters? In my opinion, the Pokemon that will be hit by this the hardest are the starters. With the exception of the Gen 1 trio, I can't see any of them being in the Galar Pokedex. Not only are starters among the most popular Pokemon of their type but basically everyone has a starter they hold some level of sentimental value towards. I can't imagine that people will be super pleased to hear that the Typhlosion or Greninja will be doomed to rot in a cloud.

Not gonna lie, this may be a deal breaker for me. As I grow older, I find more enjoyment out of completing the Pokedex and it's become one of my favourite parts of the main series. There's an odd yet nostalgic pride in being able to use Pokemon you've had for over a decade in a game as new as Ultra Sun/Moon. It's kinda like having an old MMO character kicking around, the age of it gives it a story. I know it's a large amount of work to program 800+ characters in a game, but it feels lazy cop out and not even try.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
So uh...

Apparently, if a Pokemon is not in the Galar dex, it cannot be transferred up to Sword and Shield.

I don't get this at all. I could understand waiting to develop certain Pokemon until after launch and add them with the update that adds compatibility with Pokemon Home, but outright scrapping them as playable characters? In my opinion, the Pokemon that will be hit by this the hardest are the starters. With the exception of the Gen 1 trio, I can't see any of them being in the Galar Pokedex. Not only are starters among the most popular Pokemon of their type but basically everyone has a starter they hold some level of sentimental value towards. I can't imagine that people will be super pleased to hear that the Typhlosion or Greninja will be doomed to rot in a cloud.

Not gonna lie, this may be a deal breaker for me. As I grow older, I find more enjoyment out of completing the Pokedex and it's become one of my favourite parts of the main series. There's an odd yet nostalgic pride in being able to use Pokemon you've had for over a decade in a game as new as Ultra Sun/Moon. It's kinda like having an old MMO character kicking around, the age of it gives it a story. I know it's a large amount of work to program 800+ characters in a game, but it feels lazy cop out and not even try.
It could be so there are less Pokemon to balance.

If Mimikyu and Lycanroc are in the Galar Dex while the Alola starters inevitably aren't, this will be the ultimate reason why Sakurai chose wrong.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
So uh...

I wouldn't say too much regarding the choice of not including all pokemon in the galar dex. But, we do have A LOT of pokemon already and having to balance them all would take a long time. Plus, the way they said it makes it very ambiguous and might be misconstrued translation.

It would be easy to asume that not all pokemon's code will exist in-game, and it might be that, but even then, they could have free updates to add the pokemon into the game. Because if they don't, any pokemon not in sword & shield must be added in the next pokemon game after sword & shield, because otherwise it's pointless to be able to bring any pokemon to pokemon home.

The game isn't out yet, so i'd wait to give your opinions on the games. Whether you're hyped or very worried about the quality of the games, there's still so much we don't know about Sword & Shield. Wait for more info to come out before you decide whether you'll buy the games or not.

On another note, they have a Corgi Pokemon and it's the cutest thing i've ever seen:

1560293696663.png

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I’m hoping Lycanroc is in the Galar Dex.

Would suck if they aren’t in the game at all.

Last edited:

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
I’m hoping Lycanroc is in the Galar Dex.

Would suck if they aren’t in the game at all.
Now it feels like old smash bros. where we have to await who makes it and who doesn't. Didn't think i'd have to think like that for pokemon of all things.

It could be so there are less Pokemon to balance.

If Mimikyu and Lycanroc are in the Galar Dex while the Alola starters inevitably aren't, this will be the ultimate reason why Sakurai chose wrong.
Acording to serebii.net on the galar dex, Mimikyu is in the dex.

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Okay, now that I've had a day past any bouts of fight-or-flight...our situation--and that of any Nintendo characters--isn't dire so much as unclear. We don't yet know exactly why Hero and Banjo-Kazooie were chosen, and learning more about that once Sakurai inevitably goes more into detail in his articles will give us a clearer picture. What we want here is for these to have been pipe dream picks, chosen because of how requested they've been like Ridley, Simon, and K. Rool were. It'd line up with what we saw during the base game, and...

That was an interesting E3 in regards to Smash.

Nudges on Lycanroc’s chances a bit, as now they would show up much closer to Sword and Shield’s release. Regardless, I agree with Garteam as with the biggest characters that we’re constantly talked about out of the way, it seems we may now have more lee way.

Well not just in speculation, but, actually in the pass as well. Smash always had a history of revealing the bigger characters first, dlc included. So I feel that with Joker, Hero, and Banjo, who are arguably the biggest reveals for this pass, already out of the way, I feel that the chances of a smaller first party character being the next reveal is much more likely. And I think this is where Lycanroc can fit in, being either a solo reveal in something smaller like a General Nintendo Direct or shadowdrop, or part of a Smash Direct alongside the last newcomer.
...open up the chance of something like this happening. For what it's worth, we have seen examples in past Smash games where there was a big climactic exclamation point about halfway to 2/3 of the way through the reveal cycle, then falling action from there on out with most of the remaining reveals being lower key. Ultimate's base game had this with K. Rool, Brawl had Sonic, Smash 4's DLC had Cloud, etc. That said, base Smash 4's climax is harder to pinpoint (Pac-Man? Shulk?), and Smash 4 DLC did still end on someone notable in Bayonetta...but on the other hand, she was a special case in being the Ballot choice, making her a possible exception.

Worth scrutinizing further, at least, especially since it'll be a lot more common/popular to expect the next couple reveals to escalate even further into the outright absurd. Maybe we could even join forces with some of the other Nintendo characters' threads? Surely some of them must also feel frustrated about being ignored by the greater community for "not being hype enough".

So uh...

Based on what we've learned since, it seems this wasn't part of the original plan.

Upgrading all of the models and animations (not to mention super gigantic Dynamaxed versions) has proved so time-consuming that they've simply run out of time to get them done for all 800+ 'mons unless they delay the games, and they can't delay them because other media like the anime and TCG are also in production. This makes it seem like any who don't make the cut immediately will eventually find a way into Gen 8, even if it takes a later update or next year's game(s).

Still not ideal, but a bit more understandable, at least. Then again, maybe I'm only more forgiving of it because full Dex completion has never been my kind of thing...

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Upgrading all of the models and animations (not to mention super gigantic Dynamaxed versions)
They seem to simply be the 3DS models and animations with some upscaling: Both on the textures and, when Dynamaxed, models.

This makes me hope that this gen has a third version.

Cyborg Sun

Smash Apprentice
Worth scrutinizing further, at least, especially since it'll be a lot more common/popular to expect the next couple reveals to escalate even further into the outright absurd. Maybe we could even join forces with some of the other Nintendo characters' threads? Surely some of them must also feel frustrated about being ignored by the greater community for "not being hype enough".
Hmm... Now I obviously don't run any support threads (I just joined this forum!) but... there is one thread I'm frequenting for Toad/Captain Toad. One that hasn't brought up the E3 reveals at all yet. Perhaps I'll try drumming up some discussion there? Maybe they'll like this idea.

EDIT: Also that Pokemon thing... I've found a level-headed mindset on the matter. (It's worth reading the whole thread, it's not that long)

Last edited:

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Well, moving on from the whole National dex ordeal (i'm quite upset at some people), let's start speculating some smash stuff.

When would the 4th fighter be revealed, cause given the timeframes, fighter 5 could be announced at the game awards easily or a smash dedicated direct if they have a bunch of info to tell, including a potential second fighter's pass.
It could also be unveiled right after Banjo-Kazooie drops.

Or they could do the same thing they did in 2015 and unveil the last 2 characters together in a direct IF this is the only dlc pass we're getting.

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Well, moving on from the whole National dex ordeal (i'm quite upset at some people), let's start speculating some smash stuff.

When would the 4th fighter be revealed, cause given the timeframes, fighter 5 could be announced at the game awards easily or a smash dedicated direct if they have a bunch of info to tell, including a potential second fighter's pass.
It could also be unveiled right after Banjo-Kazooie drops.

Or they could do the same thing they did in 2015 and unveil the last 2 characters together in a direct IF this is the only dlc pass we're getting.
If I had to guess, I think we'll get Fighter #4's reveal during the obligatory autumn Direct in September or October, with a release window of mid-late November. Would allow for things to quiet down for a while until then, as well as give time for v4.0 and 5.0 to happen first.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Might as well go back on SS since some new info popped up, and I never really made a response to the recent news.

So, Megas and Z-moves are not coming back. I’m kinda disappointed that Megas are gone since I feel there are a ton of new Pokémon Megas they could’ve done, and most of the Pokémon specific Z-moves are really awesome. But they are putting the emphasis on the Dynamax mechanic this time, which tbh, I really don’t like. Seems a bit lazy to me since for me it really sums up to, Pokémon get beeg and strong. And I would’ve been fine with it if it wasn’t for the fact that this is what is supposed be in place of the cut mechanics, which I feel is far less creative and interesting than what it’s supposed to replace.

And if Lycanroc does become a newcomer, it would be kinda weird now when they add in Lycanroc’s signature Splintered Stormshards when it’s not even coming back. Speaking of which, the fact that there isn’t a decision to even bring cut Pokémon in patches is also worrying me, since it seems we could very likely have to wait for a new version to make for some to come back.

I know how hard it is to handle Pokémon with the amount of Pokémon there are now, but it’s still infuriating that patches isn’t in the cards right now. I knew that with how Game Freak rarely do patches, this is what was going to happen, and it still bothers me that there’s a chance that some Pokémon flat out won’t appear at all this whole generation. The fact that we don’t who did or didn’t make the cut is what’s scary for a lot of people, and it’s why many are angry. It’s fear that their favorite Pokémon(s) may not be here and don’t know how long they’ll be gone. And I’m not going to lie saying I don’t have at least some fear over Lycanroc coming back either.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Regarding the news, i'd like to think them excluding both megas & z-moves plus a bunch of pokemon will give them time to polish and give us a better game overall (Dynamax, while not very exciting, looks to be a simpler mechanic that doesn't take too many resources and time to develop plus seems more balanced than many megas and a bunch of z-moves). It's certainly concerning towards what the future holds, but i'm confident that we'll get all pokemon back eventually, even if they're split across various games within the same generation.
So far, according to serebii, we have at least a total of 170 pokemon, most of which are old pokemon. Some are fan favorites, others not so much, but most suit the region in my eyes, plus some underused pokemon could finally shine for once.

We also don't know what future games we'll get: gen 4 remakes come to mind and i don't think we'll also just get enhanced versions this time around, it could be prequels given that they haven't done that before and they like to be unpredictable with their ''enhanced versions'': Gens 1-4 were enhanced versions, Gen 5 was sequels, Gen 6 was... nothing, Gen 7 was (lightly) alternate story games.
I'll try to stay neutral and optimistic towards the new direction Gamefreak is taking till we get more info. about the games and whether missing a bunch of pokemon will really be a bad thing for the games quality.
I'm already aware that my personal favorite pokemon isn't going to be in just because of it's big involvement with ultra beasts, BUT i do see a future for Silvally in potential Sinnoh Remakes given it's heavy inspiration from Arceus.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Might as well go back on SS since some new info popped up, and I never really made a response to the recent news.

So, Megas and Z-moves are not coming back. I’m kinda disappointed that Megas are gone since I feel there are a ton of new Pokémon Megas they could’ve done, and most of the Pokémon specific Z-moves are really awesome. But they are putting the emphasis on the Dynamax mechanic this time, which tbh, I really don’t like. Seems a bit lazy to me since for me it really sums up to, Pokémon get beeg and strong. And I would’ve been fine with it if it wasn’t for the fact that this is what is supposed be in place of the cut mechanics, which I feel is far less creative and interesting than what it’s supposed to replace.

And if Lycanroc does become a newcomer, it would be kinda weird now when they add in Lycanroc’s signature Splintered Stormshards when it’s not even coming back. Speaking of which, the fact that there isn’t a decision to even bring cut Pokémon in patches is also worrying me, since it seems we could very likely have to wait for a new version to make for some to come back.

I know how hard it is to handle Pokémon with the amount of Pokémon there are now, but it’s still infuriating that patches isn’t in the cards right now. I knew that with how Game Freak rarely do patches, this is what was going to happen, and it still bothers me that there’s a chance that some Pokémon flat out won’t appear at all this whole generation. The fact that we don’t who did or didn’t make the cut is what’s scary for a lot of people, and it’s why many are angry. It’s fear that their favorite Pokémon(s) may not be here and don’t know how long they’ll be gone. And I’m not going to lie saying I don’t have at least some fear over Lycanroc coming back either.
The thing that kinda bothers me is the fact Game Freak has been preparing for this increased workload since X/Y, given that they intentionally future proofed the models of that game for future projects. Likewise, the explanation that this is being done to add extra polish to the presentation rubs me the wrong way, as we're not really seeing that in the actual gameplay. The old Pokemon are using their retextured 3DS models and their animations are almost the exact same (which isn't bad in and of itself, if it's being used a time-saving way to return old Pokemon), while the new Pokemon really don't have a large enough jump in quality to justify this change. Some moves like Flame Charge getting new animations is a decent start, but it's not nearly enough to accept the loss of certain Pokemon. I really don't care that much how the game looks (provided it's not butt ugly), but if they're sacrificing content for presentation, they better be making a pretty picture.

I'm a little more understanding with the balance explanation. Balancing a game around 400 Pokemon would be much easier than 800. However, I'm kinda skeptical a Pokemon game could ever really reach a true state of balance. Unbalance is kinda baked into the concept, Pokemon like Raticate and Butterfree will never be able to really compete with the big boys like Dragonite and Tyranitar by design. Plus, there's so many variables that go into a Pokemon's competitive viability (stats, movepool, ability, etc.) that it can be difficult to properly weight how much power a Pokemon has relative to others. There's also no way to account for the evolution of the metagame, where certain unthought of strategies become dominant among the player base. For example, I don't think Game Freak intentionally designed Incineroar to be able to go head to head with the most powerful breed of legendaries. However, thanks to a type, ability, and movepool that thrived in a certain environment, he was seen everywhere during VGC 2017. That's not to say a small Pokemon total couldn't lead to a more balanced experience, but it doesn't guarantee it by principle.

Regarding Lycanroc, I think he fits well enough within the context of Galar to justify his return to the dex. Plus, he stands out among most other rock types, which could help him get in. I'm a little iffy on the Dusk form returning though. While it is the most popular form and the one Ash uses, being an event-only Pokemon given away once almost 2 years ago may lead to Game Freak deciding that keeping him around simply isn't worth the effort.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Regarding Lycanroc, I think he fits well enough within the context of Galar to justify his return to the dex. Plus, he stands out among most other rock types, which could help him get in. I'm a little iffy on the Dusk form returning though. While it is the most popular form and the one Ash uses, being an event-only Pokemon given away once almost 2 years ago may lead to Game Freak deciding that keeping him around simply isn't worth the effort.
How come do you think being an event only Pokémon makes Dusk less likely? I think Dusk will come back as well.

If you haven’t noticed, Sword and Shield actually has a Day and Night cycle that does include dusk and dawn (or at least there are areas with those time frames). So the mechanic to evolve rockruff into you’re desired form is already there, and I could see them simply removing the Own Tempo requirement to make Dusk more readily available.

GlaceonGD

Smash Cadet
How come do you think being an event only Pokémon makes Dusk less likely? I think Dusk will come back as well.

If you haven’t noticed, Sword and Shield actually has a Day and Night cycle that does include dusk and dawn (or at least there are areas with those time frames). So the mechanic to evolve rockruff into you’re desired form is already there, and I could see them simply removing the Own Tempo requirement to make Dusk more readily available.
This is really what I hope they do because I never got the chance to use a dusk form as I never got USUM, and I've actually never used a rock type on my team in any of the games I've played through surprisingly. I'm trying to create somewhat of a "perfect team" for the game using all my favorites and as of now dusk lycanorc and aegislash are the only two unconfirmed to be in the game, so I'm really hoping we can at least get dusk form to return.

Cyborg Sun

Smash Apprentice
Well, we aren't getting an explanation as to why Hero and Banjo were picked this week (as I expected). We'll need to wait a couple of weeks or so for that.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Well, we aren't getting an explanation as to why Hero and Banjo were picked this week (as I expected). We'll need to wait a couple of weeks or so for that.

I don't think we really need an explanation for either characters. Banjo was obviously fan demand; highly doubt he'd ever have gotten in without that support. Hero is essentially a generic protag meant to represent the DQ franchise; he got in moreso because of the popularity of DQ and it's presence on Nintendo consoles rather than people specifically requesting him.

I'm more curious as to whether or not he'll throw hints at the last two characters or more DLC packs. Next best thing would be a more detailed description of Hero and Banjo's moveset, but I feel like that's being saved for later.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
For what it's worth, there's been a recurring trend of rare or exclusive forms new to a generation becoming easier to obtain in future generations. Remember how much of a hassle it was to get certain Deoxys forms in Gen 3? Well, starting with Platinum and HG/SS, picking the form you wanted became as easy as going to the right location and interacting with the correct meteorite. If anything, we can expect the process of getting the Lycanroc form you want to go the same way! Which probably means having access to the Midday and Midnight evolutions in both versions + having some special way to obtain Own Tempo Rockruffs become available ingame once you've progressed far enough.

Well, if the line is available in Galar, but the odds are probably in our favor there. Lucario and Zoroark keep popping up in new regions, so odds are Lycanroc will follow suit.

Yeah, had a feeling we wouldn't learn anything this week. These articles have to be set up and proofread a few days in advance, and having a rough draft talking about two newcomers who hadn't been announced yet sitting in Famitsu's office would've been...risky.

Last edited:
Top Bottom