• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Day, Night, and Dusk - Lycanroc for Smash Bros. Ultimate

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Perhaps I'm blinded by my own bias, but I don't remember a time in this thread when a majority of the users in this thread were claiming that Incineroar was a terrible choice who had no support. I mean, sure, we've said a few negative things here and there, but I feel like we've been pretty tame overall, haven't we? If anything, this thread's reaction to Verge and Incineroar's official reveal was handled better than Decidueye and Mimikyu supporters. I remember plenty of the petty comments made the day Loz18 leaked Verge's message.

Incineroar is actually my favorite Alolan starter. I don't hate the guy, and I even had him pegged as the second most-likely Pokemon to get chosen. I apologize if I ever said anything that made Incineroar's victory seem like less of an accomplishment. People were quick to throw Incineroar under the bus, so in a way, this was a well deserved outcome. That being said, I also really didn't want another starter in Smash, which is why I threw my support around Lycanroc instead. I just hope Incineroar's fans try to remind themselves that it's not abnormal for a thread that supports a competing character to occasionally say something negative. This is the Lycanroc support thread after all. It should be expected that there would be some degree of bias against Incineroar. Plus, we're basically the only active thread still supporting an Alolan Pokemon, so that sort of singles us out. If the other threads were still going, I can almost guarantee you that the comments would be far less reasonable.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
And if t wasn-t expected to have stage builder, nintendo went and accidentally leaked the mode itself in a 30 second commercial.
Speaking of stage builder, i'm really hoping they actually put some thought and effort to make it more substantial than brawl's version.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Perhaps I'm blinded by my own bias, but I don't remember a time in this thread when a majority of the users in this thread were claiming that Incineroar was a terrible choice who had no support. I mean, sure, we've said a few negative things here and there, but I feel like we've been pretty tame overall, haven't we? If anything, this thread's reaction to Verge and Incineroar's official reveal was handled better than Decidueye and Mimikyu supporters. I remember plenty of the petty comments made the day Loz18 leaked Verge's message.

Incineroar is actually my favorite Alolan starter. I don't hate the guy, and I even had him pegged as the second most-likely Pokemon to get chosen. I apologize if I ever said anything that made Incineroar's victory seem like less of an accomplishment. People were quick to throw Incineroar under the bus, so in a way, this was a well deserved outcome. That being said, I also really didn't want another starter in Smash, which is why I threw my support around Lycanroc instead. I just hope Incineroar's fans try to remind themselves that it's not abnormal for a thread that supports a competing character to occasionally say something negative. This is the Lycanroc support thread after all. It should be expected that there would be some degree of bias against Incineroar. Plus, we're basically the only active thread still supporting an Alolan Pokemon, so that sort of singles us out. If the other threads were still going, I can almost guarantee you that the comments would be far less reasonable.
There was a little bit of a rivalry between the Incineroar and Lycanroc camps as is to be expected in competition, but I never really saw anything hostile or malicious come from either side. There had been a couple of times where a misunderstanding happened and one side mistook support for one character as a slight against the other, but from what I saw, everything would get sorted out civilly. To me, it seemed like outside groups (ie the "No More Pokemon" group, the "Gen 7 is over" group or even the "We need older Pokemon" group) were more aggressive to both sides than either the Incineroar or Lycanroc supporters were to each other.

If anything, I think the Lycanroc and Incineroar fans have the most in common out of the support groups as both characters have shared many similar situations and promotion from their company/series. As an Incineroar fan, I continue my support to our friends in this thread.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
I can't fault anyone for supporting a character they genuinely like. The chip on my shoulder is from the dismissiveness we were met with from so many who weren't invested, the double standards working against us from people who decided we weren't worth even acknowledging or talking about despite everything our character has accomplished. And with so much of the community's eyes laser-focused on Gen 8 already despite potentially jumping the gun on it, it's only become worse.

Having a tough room to win over is one thing. Finding out they turned the mic off and told the crowd they could leave right before you went on stage because they'd already decided you had nothing worth listening to is another.

On a more positive note, I've been working on a side thing the last few days. Wanted to try my hand at a set of Dusk alts. How does it look?

Last edited:

MasteRMerF

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MasteRMerF
3DS FC
5000-2607-1297
I can't fault anyone for supporting a character they genuinely like. The chip on my shoulder is from the dismissiveness we were met with from so many who weren't invested, the double standards working against us from people who decided we weren't worth even acknowledging or talking about despite everything our character has accomplished. And with so much of the community's eyes laser-focused on Gen 8 already despite potentially jumping the gun on it, it's only become worse.

Having a tough room to win over is one thing. Finding out they turned the mic off and told the crowd they could leave right before you went on stage because they'd already decided you had nothing worth listening to is another.

On a more positive note, I've been working on a side thing the last few days. Wanted to try my hand at a set of Dusk alts. How does it look?

Those look great! 2, 3, 5 and 6 are my favorites.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
And with so much of the community's eyes laser-focused on Gen 8 already despite potentially jumping the gun on it, it's only become worse.
Yeah. I don't think that a Gen 8 Pokemon will be in the first Fighter Pass. The game hasn't even come out yet, and they have no idea what would be popular, especially considering it will be a DLC character, meaning that people will have to pay real money for a character that might not even be popular with audiences.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Yeah. I don't think that a Gen 8 Pokemon will be in the first Fighter Pass. The game hasn't even come out yet, and they have no idea what would be popular, especially considering it will be a DLC character, meaning that people will have to pay real money for a character that might not even be popular with audiences.
Also note that Incineroar was chosen after SM came out, and if this happens again, they would only have at best three months to work on the character.

You hate it when I say Incineroar is rushed? You ain't seen nothing yet.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Also note that Incineroar was chosen after SM came out, and if this happens again, they would only have at best three months to work on the character.

This time, if they do another Greninja situation, it's different because now people will have to pay for it. I don't think that they would want people to pay for a character who might not even be popular.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

If we get a Gen 8 Pokemon, it shouldn't be any different from how Greninja or Incineroar were chosen, both of which turned out fine as characters (or at least in terms of their moveset. Whether or not you think they're good additions is a debate for sure.)

This time, if they do another Greninja situation, it's different because now people will have to pay for it. I don't think that they would want people to pay for a character who might not even be popular.
If Sakurai felt comfortable enough adding Corrin in Smash 4 when there was virtually no outcry for another FE rep and many complaints of too many FE characters, then I highly doubt the higher-ups at Nintendo would care any more than he did back then.

Keep in mind that one of the main reasons why we'd get a Gen 8 Pokemon in the first place is because of promotion. Regardless of whether or not the Pokemon sells well, it's still just a $5 character promoting a pair of $60 games.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
If we get a Gen 8 Pokemon, it shouldn't be any different from how Greninja or Incineroar were chosen, both of which turned out fine as characters (or at least in terms of their moveset. Whether or not you think they're good additions is a debate for sure.)

If Sakurai felt comfortable enough adding Corrin in Smash 4 when there was virtually no outcry for another FE rep and many complaints of too many FE characters, then I highly doubt the higher-ups at Nintendo would care any more than he did back then.

Keep in mind that one of the main reasons why we'd get a Gen 8 Pokemon in the first place is because of promotion. Regardless of whether or not the Pokemon sells well, it's still just a $5 character promoting a pair of $60 games.
The problem is that they would be taking a gamble on a character that might not even be popular, as the games aren't out yet. Corrin is a different story because his game was already out in Japan by the time that he was added. I could also see Lycanroc join the roster, but I don't know if it would.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Indeed, a new Pokemon is about promotion. And I want them to promote the fact that Pokemon is not all about starters, humanoid Pokemon, and humanoid starters.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
The problem is that they would be taking a gamble on a character that might not even be popular, as the games aren't out yet. Corrin is a different story because his game was already out in Japan by the time that he was added. I could also see Lycanroc join the roster, but I don't know if it would.
Corrin was chosen as DLC before Fates was released in Japan, so popularity wouldn't apply here either. Sakurai had no idea if Corrin would be a popular character.

I'm not saying Nintendo wouldn't aim for choosing a popular Pokémon, but I hardly consider the risk of getting it wrong to be a deal-breaker. If the Pokémon ends up being a fluke, oh well. They accomplished their main goal of promoting Sword/Shield with a character and a stage, and odds are that people will purchase the character regardless, especially since Pokémon has more name recognition than practically every other video game franchise in existence.

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Careful there. Popularity is unreliable at best as a gauge of merit, and Smash roster talk is no exception.

Besides, the bigger reason why a Gen 8 pick would be risky is because they'd have been picking out a character a full year before its game was out, with aaaaall of that time left for any possible changes to happen that the Smash devs wouldn't be able to account for so easily. And it's worth keeping in mind that unlike what seems to be the common belief now, Sakurai didn't just pick Greninja from concept art a year or more before X and Y were out. As per his own word, the Smash 4 team actually waited until Gen 6 was almost ready before making their choice, something that is simply not feasible with Sword & Shield, at least not in this wave.

Corrin was chosen as DLC before Fates was released in Japan, so popularity wouldn't apply here either Sakurai had no idea if Corrin would be a popular character.
And that's another thing. They pulled the trigger on Corrin (seemingly) a couple months before Fire Emblem Fates hit shelves in Japan. For one, this shows how popularity couldn't have been a factor for that character in particular. For two, the timeframe is worth keeping in mind: development on Corrin began when Fates was nearly finished (or might've already gone gold; hard to know for sure), yet they still needed over half a year to get the character working as intended.

It's a timeframe that doesn't get acknowledged nor accounted for as often as it should, honestly. Especially since the sole exception so far (:ultroy:) was only picked because the Melee team was looking for potential clone characters and only debuted in Melee because his game suffered a delay!

Last edited:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Careful there. Popularity is unreliable at best as a gauge of merit, and Smash roster talk is no exception.

Besides, the bigger reason why a Gen 8 pick would be risky is because they'd have been picking out a character a full year before its game was out, with aaaaall of that time left for any possible changes to happen that the Smash devs wouldn't be able to account for so easily. And it's worth keeping in mind that unlike what seems to be the common belief now, Sakurai didn't just pick Greninja from concept art a year or more before X and Y were out. As per his own word, the Smash 4 team actually waited until Gen 6 was almost ready before making their choice, something that is simply not feasible with Sword & Shield, at least not in this wave.

And that's another thing. They pulled the trigger on Corrin (seemingly) a couple months before Fire Emblem Fates hit shelves in Japan. For one, this shows how popularity couldn't have been a factor for that character in particular. For two, the timeframe is worth keeping in mind: development on Corrin began when Fates was nearly finished (or might've already gone gold; hard to know for sure), yet they still needed over half a year to get the character working as intended.

It's a timeframe that doesn't get acknowledged nor accounted for as often as it should, honestly. Especially since the sole exception so far (:ultroy:) was only picked because the Melee team was looking for potential clone characters and only debuted in Melee because his game suffered a delay!
Very good points, the timeframe is something we must keep in consideration. Gen 8 is still much too new for a fighter from it to be feasible. A second Gen 7 Pokemon seems much more likely in comparison.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Quiet weekend so far. Feels like a calm before the storm, what with more news coming at some point in the next couple weeks.

In the meantime, here's an interesting idea that came to me a while back: Dynamic taunts that would change based on your current condition. So for a Midday+Midnight concept, the two forms' taunts would be reminiscent of each other yet differ in ways that'd highlight their contrasting personalities! Or a Dusk concept would have its taunts modified when its berserk mode is active, becoming fiercer and even adding additional effects like the obligatory howl taunt summoning an aurora that beams down from the left boundary of the stage! Since, y'know, sunset.

Last edited:

GlaceonGD

Smash Cadet
Well, we just got a video about the update and Joker dropped on us the day before it comes out, strange. I'm a bit upset that we still haven't found out who character 2 is yet but I'm sure that'll be coming soon now that we have gameplay and a release date for Joker. Here's to hoping we've got a good shot for slot 2, which hopefully shouldn't take too long from now to get revealed

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Just as the new 3.0 update shows up on my feed the electricity goes out for a few minutes. Had a mini heart attack for a second.

Also, THAT JOKER GAMEPLAY though.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
So, we got a shadow drop.

I wonder how future reveals may pan out.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Well, we just got a video about the update and Joker dropped on us the day before it comes out, strange. I'm a bit upset that we still haven't found out who character 2 is yet but I'm sure that'll be coming soon now that we have gameplay and a release date for Joker. Here's to hoping we've got a good shot for slot 2, which hopefully shouldn't take too long from now to get revealed
We're most likely getting Character 2 and possibly even Character 3 at E3.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Even if it's too soon to say, i would like to think that the showing of the 5 character slots with the smash invitations are an indication that the reveal trailers will feature the character getting an invitation.
If so, it would be really funny for lycanroc to read it's invitation after struggling to open it with it's mouth.

Also very interesting that morgana was also featured on the full roster poster with joker.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Even if it's too soon to say, i would like to think that the showing of the 5 character slots with the smash invitations are an indication that the reveal trailers will feature the character getting an invitation.
If so, it would be really funny for lycanroc to read it's invitation after struggling to open it with it's mouth.
I feel like it’s a similar situation with the whole Smash Ball in Inkling’s eye. It probably won’t be used all the time. I’d still be funny though.

Tbh, I’m not sure if we’ll get another fighter reveal until E3. Seems like they may be waiting to reveal two new characters around E3. Could Lycanroc show up at E3? Ehhhhhhhh... it’s up in the air. But I think the sooner the better.

Delzethin Delzethin calling card.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
In other news, the 5chan leak is officially dead. They made a big deal about a Jack Frost cameo in Mementos, when he's flat out nowhere in sight.

Hopefully, this gets people to take higher stock in the idea of First Party DLC characters.

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Well, didn't see that coming. What? I had to!

I doubt many people were expecting no reveal whatsoever before Joker and v3.0 arrived, but here we are. We're back to being completely in the dark (mostly) about what their plans are now. It's actually looking like we may be left waiting all the way until E3 (or right before E3, like in 2015), though the option for a smaller Direct in May focused on Mario Maker is still there.

Either way, the longer we're left waiting, the greater the odds of two newcomers being revealed at once, and therefore the greater our odds indirectly.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
So... apparently Sakurai made a tweet saying that DLC fighters will bring new spirits and apparently a new spirit menu aesthetic?

Now, new spirits seems pretty obvious and there are plenty that could be used for a potential Lycanroc pack, but is the spirit menu something that was actually said? I’ve translated the tweet and it doesn’t seem that way. It seems like it was something Sakurai went more out of his way for Persona 5 and it was even listed as “bonus content”.

Well Joker has been fully shown recently, so I guess it’s best to wait for things to calm down a bit to think more clearly when it comes to speculation.

Last edited:

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Regarding the next dlc fighter i can just as easily see them throw a small teaser in a small direct either late april or in may.
But we surely will get something at e3 without question.

Also pokemon have been very quiet since the reveal of gen 8, wonder when they will show more info.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
So... apparently Sakurai made a tweet saying that DLC fighters will bring new spirits and apparently a new spirit menu aesthetic?

Now, new spirits seems pretty obvious and there are plenty that could be used for a potential Lycanroc pack, but is the spirit menu something that was actually said? I’ve translated the tweet and it doesn’t seem that way. It seems like it was something Sakurai went more out of his way for Persona 5 and it was even listed as “bonus content”.

Well Joker has been fully shown recently, so I guess it’s best to wait for things to calm down a bit to think more clearly when it comes to speculation.
To answer my own question, no it wasn’t explicitly said that every fighter would come with their own Spirit Menu Aesthetic.

All Sakurai mentioned was the extra spirits that would come along with Joker and the other DLC fighters. Seems Joker’s Spirit Menu was mostly something he went out of his way to add, and isn’t necessarily mandatory.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Now that the 4chan leak is dead, I wonder how people will move forward with their views on Erdrick.

I mean, I've always told people to stay skeptical and not act like something's guaranteed, but many people were assuming he was a safe bet. With this leak out of the way, all we have left is "Brave" and Verge's comments (which might not even be reliable now given how he missed both Joker and PP and made several inaccurate predictions in January before the Direct).

This is starting to feel like that "Isaac conspiracy" coined after the Japan earthquake and after Sakurai took a picture of Rathalos at an angle that was definitely, undeniably, 100% a reference to Golden Sun.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Now that the 4chan leak is dead, I wonder how people will move forward with their views on Erdrick.

I mean, I've always told people to stay skeptical and not act like something's guaranteed, but many people were assuming he was a safe bet. With this leak out of the way, all we have left is "Brave" and Verge's comments (which might not even be reliable now given how he missed both Joker and PP and made several inaccurate predictions in January before the Direct).

This is starting to feel like that "Isaac conspiracy" coined after the Japan earthquake and after Sakurai took a picture of Rathalos at an angle that was definitely, undeniably, 100% a reference to Golden Sun.
And even then, "Brave" is not guaranteed to be Erdrick, especially if you looked at the leaked stats.

RandomAce

Smash Champion

There’s still Tsanut, who’s apparently very reliable and Polar Panda.

Erdrick is still in the deck, but the 5chan leak doesn’t support him as much.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin

That last line is well said. There'll be a lot of reactions and hot takes flying around for the next few days, and it'll take time for the dust to settle and a clearer picture to emerge. Worth fact checking stuff you hear Sakurai apparently said until then, especially if it seems sensationalistic.

And yeah, I'm still pretty confident that we'd offer enough stage options and even spirits to measure up. Pokémon still has a lot of notable spirit absences even within Gen 7 (Decidueye, Primarina, Ultra Necrozma, every UB not named Nihilego, whichever Lycanroc forms aren't playable, etc.), to say no less of the total lack of Alola stage so far. I actually got a couple comments on my first party DLC video from people who said they were neutral on the character but would be for it in an instant if an Ultra Space stage tagged along!

Again, I think we'll need to let the dust settle before we can really scrutinize this. For one, I could've sworn it was 5chan, not 4chan, and that there were two separate rumors that said different things (one claiming to have details on Joker and Erdrick, another claiming to know all five characters that had always seemed shaky). This has shades of how a whole bunch of Sun & Moon rumors got attributed to "the Chinese leak" even though there were upwards of three notable leaks at various times and only one from a Chinese source, so we should tread carefully lest we contribute to the misinformation without even trying to.

Right now, I think my theory for our newly debunked leak is that it was piggybacking off existing rumors and added a few things of its own to seem less like a copycat. How this affects Erdrick's chances will depend on which of its claims were made up and which were pulled from elsewhere, and how credible those sources are.

Not that it directly affects our own chances right now, anyway.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
That last line is well said. There'll be a lot of reactions and hot takes flying around for the next few days, and it'll take time for the dust to settle and a clearer picture to emerge. Worth fact checking stuff you hear Sakurai apparently said until then, especially if it seems sensationalistic.

And yeah, I'm still pretty confident that we'd offer enough stage options and even spirits to measure up. Pokémon still has a lot of notable spirit absences even within Gen 7 (Decidueye, Primarina, Ultra Necrozma, every UB not named Nihilego, whichever Lycanroc forms aren't playable, etc.), to say no less of the total lack of Alola stage so far. I actually got a couple comments on my first party DLC video from people who said they were neutral on the character but would be for it in an instant if an Ultra Space stage tagged along!

Again, I think we'll need to let the dust settle before we can really scrutinize this. For one, I could've sworn it was 5chan, not 4chan, and that there were two separate rumors that said different things (one claiming to have details on Joker and Erdrick, another claiming to know all five characters that had always seemed shaky). This has shades of how a whole bunch of Sun & Moon rumors got attributed to "the Chinese leak" even though there were upwards of three notable leaks at various times and only one from a Chinese source, so we should tread carefully lest we contribute to the misinformation without even trying to.

Right now, I think my theory for our newly debunked leak is that it was piggybacking off existing rumors and added a few things of its own to seem less like a copycat. How this affects Erdrick's chances will depend on which of its claims were made up and which were pulled from elsewhere, and how credible those sources are.

Not that it directly affects our own chances right now, anyway.
It was 5chan.

There were two leaks. One that had Joker and Erdrick with all their information. The other with the same information but with three other fighters.

The second one with all 5 fighters has been debunked long ago. And now the one with just Joker and Erdrick is one thin ice.

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings

Erdrick was riding off of "Brave" and rumors from Western insiders; the only character from the 5chan leak who I'd say has been shot down is Ryu Hayabusa, and that's because the "leak" was all he had going for himself in the first place (Steve and Doom Slayer are both safe guesses).

Need I remind people, Brave is a literal translation of Yuusha which is the Japanese term for Heroes in DQ. DQ is massive in Japan. Nintendo almost always steps in to market and publish DQ games on their hardware in the West these days, with XI:S launching the back half of this year. Even ignoring the datamine info (that IMO basically clinches it), Erdrick/DQ representation would still be an easy call and safe assumption.

To compare it to the straw-grasping of Golden Sun fans feels like you're selling it extremely short-- Erdrick's got in-game data, insider rumors, and logical reasoning going for him; the "logic" behind Isaac was a very vocal minority clinging to fan polls and trying to spin an event that caused dozens of people to die as "evidence" that this character from an abandoned series was going to be in.

I'm seeing similar things a lot, and people just seem to be forgetting how much DQ has going for it and are looking for anything to shake up the status quo.
I'm personally disappointed that we just didn't get it out of the way alongside Joker because, as it stands, nothing has changed (the most interesting thing being Joker's apparent scrapped female alt). Hopefully datamining the upcoming update proves fruitful.

It was 5chan.

There were two leaks. One that had Joker and Erdrick with all their information. The other with the same information but with three other fighters.

The second one with all 5 fighters has been debunked long ago. And now the one with just Joker and Erdrick is one thin ice.
Specifically, it's the one that mentioned the Granblue Fantasy fighting game-- the suspect part of it now is that it says Joker would have Jack Frost in his moveset, which clearly isn't the case.
Still don't think this means much for Brave/Erdrick, as I said above.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
If Lycanroc does get in, here's some music tracks that I think could be added:

Vs. Ultra Beasts (Sun & Moon)
Vs. Hau (Sun & Moon)
Vs. Guzma (Sun & Moon)
Vs. Motherbeast Lusamine (Sun & Moon)
Vs. Ultra Necrozma (Ultra Sun & Moon)
Vs. Ultra Recon Squad (Ultra Sun & Moon)

We would also most likely see some Pokemon Mii Fighter costumes to go along with Lycanroc.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky

Vs. Hau (Sun & Moon)
Vs. Guzma (Sun & Moon)

We would also most likely see some Pokemon Mii Fighter costumes to go along with Lycanroc.
It would be amazing if they could also add any team rainbow rocket music.

And now i have a hypothetical question: let's say that we will get a second wave of dlc fighters. Given that the last 4 fighters are already picked, what characters would be in that second wave? TBH, other than a gen 8 pokemon i can't really think of anything else.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
It would be amazing if they could also add any team rainbow rocket music.

And now i have a hypothetical question: let's say that we will get a second wave of dlc fighters. Given that the last 4 fighters are already picked, what characters would be in that second wave? TBH, other than a gen 8 pokemon i can't really think of anything else.
I have a feeling they may try to appeal to the core fanbase more.

After a year or so passes by, most of the casual fanbase will evaporate, as with any game, leaving the more dedicated fans still playing the game. And seeing how Nintendo does listen to their fan base as seen with Ultimate, I can see this happening for a second wave. So Rex and Pyra, Geno, or even Sora who could fill both niches are more likely there in my opinion.

I could see a FE: Three Houses character too depending if Sakurai wants to include someone there, and maybe even an assist or two could be upgraded to join as well.

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin

Vs. Hau (Sun & Moon)
Vs. Guzma (Sun & Moon)

Don't forget the potential for music from the spinoffs! Anywhere from the Mystery Dungeon games to even a track or two from Pokkén, if such a thing was a viable option.

Though the Mii costumes seem to be their own separate thing that need not necessarily tie to the most recent newcomer. That said, I'd still be interested in seeing something like a Gallade-themed Swordfighter or the like, as long as they made it obvious that they're just costumes designed in the 'mons likenesses.

Fire Emblem: Three Houses comes to mind, especially since its late July release date puts it on thin ice for being viable for the current wave. Hard to say beyond that just yet, though, especially since we still don't know if spirits deconfirm or not. If they don't, the door would still be open for characters like Bandana Dee who did something recently, just not right this moment recently.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I actually think a DLC Pokemon would kill the Mii Costume theory. Whenever a game has costumes from various Nintendo franchises, Pokemon usually doesn't show up.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Anyone or anything from the Switch would be likely. I can see them starting at BotW and looking for options that were just a tad shy of making the initial roster.

Here's a few options I can think of from the top of my head:

Champions (Mipha, Revali, Daruk, Urbosa)
Spring Man (if ATs aren't permanent disconfirmations)
Octolings
Rex/Pyra
FE Three Houses rep
Gen 8 Pokemon

Top Bottom