• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Day, Night, and Dusk - Lycanroc for Smash Bros. Ultimate

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don’t know how much water this idea holds, but I think something similar happened for Sonic back in Brawl.
Actually, what happened to Sonic in Brawl was that Sega refused Sakurai's offer to put Sonic in the game, but they later changed their minds, which ironically caused the game to be delayed.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
I could be jumping the gun too soon, but today's update isn't a music track.

The last 3 music updates are from franchises with a lot of remixes (Fire Emblem, Mega Man & Castlevania), and the only other franchise we know will have a drastic boost of music is street fighter. Seems too coincidental.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
the ‘too good to be true’ thing
I agree that the Grinch leak might be pushing how far they'd go with "I hope you weren't expecting too many new challengers", but don't you think that the current 100% confirmed roster would be considered fake for this in May?
"toon link replaced young link, deal with it you melee fanboy"
"pichu coming back? are you crazy?"
"pokemon trainer? nope, transformations are gone"
"kojima's gone from konami, you're never getting snake back"
"let it go, ridley and k. rool are never gonna be playable"

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Just a day to go...

You can practically feel the tension in the air. Everyone's on edge.

If there's anything anyone wants to talk about, now's a good time. I think we could all use something to focus our minds on, especially if it's something more lighthearted.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
So Emily Rogers doesn't believe the Grinch Leak. Do you believe her?
Honestly, "insiders" have such spotty records that I almost never take what they have to say with anything beyond a grain of salt. Emily Rogers also said Splatoon 2 was just a port of the first game, that the 3D Mario game in the Switch trailer would not be called Mario Odyssey, and that Mother 3 would be coming to the west on the Switch's virtual console.

Regardless, we've reached the end:

While this will be our last chance to get on the base roster, if the Grinch leak is true and there's no Pokemon, I think we have more than a fighting chance for DLC.

GlaceonGD

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, sorry for my recent inactivity here I've been having major wifi problems which are now fixed thankfully. I am so ready for this direct it's been too long since our last info, and while I don't necessarily have super high hopes they aren't incredibly low either. If lycanroc isn't in the direct and incineroar is we're out of the running, if neither are we still have a chance for DLC, if lycanroc is then our support has payed off. And keep in mind guys, this may be the last smash direct but it's not the last nintendo direct, in theory it's possible they may leave one or two characters out to be revealed at before the game's release, even if it isn't very likely. Regardless, I still support till the end, let's see if our support pays off.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Hey guys, sorry for my recent inactivity here I've been having major wifi problems which are now fixed thankfully. I am so ready for this direct it's been too long since our last info, and while I don't necessarily have super high hopes they aren't incredibly low either. If lycanroc isn't in the direct and incineroar is we're out of the running, if neither are we still have a chance for DLC, if lycanroc is then our support has payed off. And keep in mind guys, this may be the last smash direct but it's not the last nintendo direct, in theory it's possible they may leave one or two characters out to be revealed at before the game's release, even if it isn't very likely. Regardless, I still support till the end, let's see if our support pays off.
Yup, those are three possibilities. It’s pretty unlikely now, but if Lycanroc is revealed tomorrow, Lycanroc would be the biggest underdog (literally) in Smash history.

But aside from that, any other things you guys want to talk about to keep the tension off a bit? I can post another move idea I had in mind?

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
But aside from that, any other things you guys want to talk about to keep the tension off a bit? I can post another move idea I had in mind?
Since it's unlikely we're only getting 1 character tomorrow, how do you think it will go down (if there's more than 1 unique fighter)?
1-. All characters are shown together either at the start or more likely at/near the end of the direct.
or
2-. They're spreaded out throught the direct.
And if they're shown together, how would said trailer go like?

And a bit off topic, what's you favorite pokemon? Mine's been Silvally for a while, love it's design.

Last edited:

MasteRMerF

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MasteRMerF
3DS FC
5000-2607-1297
Since it's unlikely we're only getting 1 character tomorrow, how do you think it will go down (if there's more than 1 unique fighter)?
1-. All characters are shown together either at the start or more likely at/near the end of the direct.
or

And a bit off topic, what's you favorite pokemon? Mine's been Silvally for a while, love it's design.
I can kind of see them being spread out through the direct, but I think something like Brawl's first trailer would be awesome (where we got Meta Knight, Pit, Zero Suit Samus, Wario and Snake all in the same trailer). As for my favorite pokemon, mine is Charizard. It was the first pokemon I ever saw and has been my favorite since for all these years. Pokemon is my favorite series represented in Smash, so when Pokemon Trainer was announced in Brawl I was so excited. Then in Smash 4 we got Solozard which, to me, was honestly the hypest character announcement for that game. I have a bit of an ongoing tradition for Smash games where my main is always a Pokemon, usually the newcomer (Melee: Mewtwo/Pichu, Brawl: PT/Lucario, Smash 4: Charizard(?)/Greninja. This is another reason I really hope we get a Pokemon newcomer in Ultimate.
Well, this'll be my last post here before the direct. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Being a part of this thread and discussing/supporting Lycanroc with all of you has been a genuine pleasure and whatever may happen tomorrow, I really hope we can keep this thread active and positive for as long as we can :happysheep:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
or
I see them spreading out the reveals more. I don’t really see some of the characters getting revealed together since they isn’t a lot of things they have in common with one another. Sakurai seems to do with trailers a bit differently nowadays.

I like a lot of Pokémon, but at this point I think Lycanroc won me over. I mean in my opinion:
CC2452DA-C57B-4D6D-B586-2E2880E60DA3.png

1BB96FE1-F311-47A9-A29D-944EA0569F09.png

They just look super awesome. They have simple, but great designs that work well that create a sort of lore that I got interested in.

Plus, them being Rock Type made me love them even more. A lot of rock types seem to have this motif of having to look associated with rocks, boulders, etc. So I’m happy Lycanroc was a bit different than the rest and use a lot of awesome rock type moves. It’s part of the reason why I really want them in Smash. A full earth based moveset with moves from the Pokémon games seems something I definitely want to try out.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Ultimately, i'm hoping regardless of which leaks were real and which were fake that the newcomer announcements will be hype to watch and hopefully we finally see what spirits mode is. And also hoping that we finally get our chance.

Sadly i won't be able to see it live so see you all till after 2pm.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
One last thing before i leave, it would be amazing if they ended the direct with a trailer akin to the everyone is here trailer, but maybe more cinematic with the final version of the main theme.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin

This is it, everyone. Our moment of truth.

We've come so far in these past eight months, grown from an afterthought to...well, still a fringe group, but at least we've been noticed by some. Through each set of reveals, we've held strong, surviving despite the odds, despite the naysayers, despite all of those who wouldn't even bother to give us the time of day. We've stared rumors in the face, watched perennial favorites finally get their chance while others fell short once again, and yet, we still count ourselves among those who remain.

Our objective today is merely to not be deconfirmed, nor to have anyone from our franchise confirmed who would cripple our chances by proxy. It's as I've said many times now: We can afford to play the long game in ways that no one else from our generation can. With an additional form, promotional campaigns, and the ace role in the anime all coming in the past year and a half, our odds for DLC would stand greater than they were for the base game--at least for a year's time--and great enough that we could hold our own against many other DLC candidates should it be necessary.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to watch the Direct live. I need you to be my eyes and ears until I can catch up on everything later this afternoon. Whatever happens, do all you can to keep your minds focused and your heads held high. Arceus willing, I'd come back to a miracle reveal and a new subforum of our own...but I know full well that we cannot count on fate being so kind. We must consider all outcomes, and for now, all we need to do is survive.

See you guys on the other side...and may we live to fight another day.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Best of luck, Lycanroc supporters. No matter what happens, it's been a thrill speculating with everyone.

Here's to hoping that either our Lycanroc dreams come true today or we can continue ride the speculation train through DLC.

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman
I don't think I've ever been this tense for a direct, as this is going to be the do-or-die moment for bloody everyone when it comes to the base roster.

I'm going to cross my fingers that we may avoid the Pokéball. If we want to even have the slightest chance.
...Only half an hour remains.
I said it before, but I'll say it again. For better or worse, I'll see you all on the other side.

GlaceonGD

Smash Cadet
I accidentally woke up an hour early because I'm so nervous and filled with anticipation. If incineroar is announced I will definitely be upset but I guess he did have quite a few actual supporters so I'll do my best to be happy for them. Hopefully we can survive till another day, I am 100% ready for this direct.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
On the bright side, no Lycanroc Pokeball. After seeing Pihranna Plant, I'm somehow more comfortable with supporting Lycanroc as DLC.

Plus, Spring Man and Rex are seemingly disconfirmed, and they were my two most likely characters for DLC.

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman
Well... Dang. I must admit Incineroar does look pretty decent. But I have to wonder how in the world the Grinch leak came to be.
It was a fight well fought, but it looks like it ends here.

Congratulations to Incineroar supporters.

...But now I'm afraid the leaks will continue through DLC.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
After seeing Pihranna Plant, I'm somehow more comfortable with supporting Lycanroc as DLC.
A crazy choice for sure, but I don't expect any sort of wolf DLC unless another already-repped gen gets another.

Last edited:

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman
We're down... at least for now. But since Lycanroc isn't a Pokeball as far as we know, could there still be a glimmer of hope for DLC?
But I'm still baffled that Incineroar was chosen, Lycanroc had a lot more going for him in terms of unique attributes and ideas he could've brought to the table, as Smash's first earthbender… Not to mention his prominence in the anime that exceeded Incineroar's by miles... But I'm still curious about 'roar nonetheless.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Well, that direct was more disappointing for more reasons than one. No more trophies, Spirits is just stickers meets event mode, Issac, Geno, and Shadow all getting deconfirmed were probably the hardest kicks in the teeth. It doesn't help that Incineroar does not look interesting at all, they barely even used the grappler gimmick that so many people had been going on about.

That being said, I actually think we could still be DLC. I mean, it may seem odd in a world where we have Incineroar, but all 3 protagonists from Fire Emblem Awakening were added, so who's to say a second Gen 7 'mon couldn't be a factor? Plus, we know for a fact there's no Alola stage and that stages are coming in bundles with fighters. Perhaps we could get a Lycanroc/Alola bundle?

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Ok guys, I'm leaving Smash Speculation probably, but my final tip for DLC is

Follow the Timeline

Sakurai deciding against Rex is a hint for this. Lycanroc still has a chance imo. Ballot bighitters were deconfirmed, no Lycanroc in sight and the timing seems to fit Lycanroc too with characters being decided already seemingly (thus Gen 8 being out)

MasteRMerF

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MasteRMerF
3DS FC
5000-2607-1297
So, Lycanroc survived...thank Arceus...
Well, Ken is my favorite Street Fighter character so that's neat (just wish I was good with Ryu :/) and Incineroar looks fun and expressive, which is what I wanted. I really feel like Lycanroc still has a chance with DLC. All we can do now is be patient and keep supporting our Pups. Can't wait for all the DLC text leaks now :upsidedown:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
What a ride it has been guys!

We sweat, bleed, and shed tears only for Lycanroc to not make the base roster. We still have DLC in mind so I think Roc has a solid chance

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Gentlemen, it has been an honor serving with you.

I will note that after Piranha Plant, we should not assume anything. Assists, Spirits, anything is fair game IMO. The only hing I would entertain is outright deconfirmed is Rex.

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Gentlemen...I am sorry I dragged you all into this.

I'd hoped that I'd found someone worth rallying around.

Instead, all I've done is lead you into a massive joke at our expense.

...All we are to them...just a joke...

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
I won't lie, things are looking grim. Only 5 DLC characters all the way through 2020 (with a date like that, it's almost assuredly the end of all DLC) they'll have to be all stars. Unless they surprise us by making more DLC characters (massive doubt) then the old dog is not in the best spot right now. But that doesn't mean it's the end.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

Nonsense, we may be down and out, but I wouldn't say we're a joke. Besides, this has been the most poorly received Smash Direct by far, possibly the most poorly received piece of Smash info period. I'm sure after the response to the direct, they're really going to be listening in hard for DLC to gain some good will. We live in a world where Piranha Plant is a playable character, anything can still happen. We still don't have an Alola stage, we could very well get into DLC through that.

You are a wonderful leader, don't let this get you down. Incineroar is not a death sentence.

I won't lie, things are looking grim. Only 5 DLC characters all the way through 2020 (with a date like that, it's almost assuredly the end of all DLC) they'll have to be all stars. Unless they surprise us by making more DLC characters (massive doubt) then the old dog is not in the best spot right now. But that doesn't mean it's the end.
Source on the 2020 limit? That feels like a really, really long time to do only 5 characters.

Last edited:

valkiriforce

Smash Ace

Easy there, you didn't drag us into this, we came here of our own accords. I don't see anyone making us out to be a joke. I feel bad for the fans of characters that were straight-up deconfirmed. While Lycanroc hasn't appeared anywhere in-game at least he wasn't deconfirmed entirely.

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman

Hey, no matter the result, I still believe that you had strong foundations for Lycanroc, and still, as others have said, we got here on our own. We'll have to see why Incineroar was chosen over Lycanroc, but I stand firm with saying that it really was a good guess, with a solid foundation on why you believed it'd be Lycanroc. Don't beat yourself up over this, we've seen stranger things happen.

Like that Piranha plant.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Not to give us false hope, but there's one thing that might benefit Lycanroc for DLC.

We didn't get a Su/Mo stage.

Sakurai said newcomers would be bundled with a music and a new stage, correct? Well, since Alola was skimmed over in terms of stages, I'd say we have a decent chance to get Lycanroc should we lucky enough to get a second Pokemon rep. The only thing that could beat us out is a Gen 8 Pokemon.

I don't know. Doesn't seem likely, but at least we're in a better position than popular ATs like Isaac and Skull Kid.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
I now some of us aren't happy with the final roster, but dlc can do us a favor.

Also, am i the only one that cried when i saw world of light?

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I hope Lycanroc can make it as DLC. It'd be great for Incineroar to have its canine compatriot join in and fight alongside it.

Top Bottom