• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dawn of the 3D Remake: Young Link for DLC! (ROY IS SEMI-CLONED! HOPE FOR MOVESET CHANGES RISES!)

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I also feel like since now all the other transformations are gone it would be good to have ONE character who has that as their "thing"
Transformations were explicitly removed due to 3DS limitations. We won't be seeing a character with transforming as their "thing" any time soon.

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
How come? I dont think its that bad. Especially in a game like smash wiiU. Its not like its a super balanced competitively designed game.

Not sure how masks link would even work without transformations. it wouldnt make sense in the animation and speed of attacks field.
Well, I did have an idea earlier that wasn't too extensive, but still fit Young Link's play style.

I don't like transformations simply because I don't know of any way to use 'em productively. If I want to play as Sheik in Melee, I'll spend a whole round as him without even touching Zelda. If I want to play as Charizard in Brawl, I'll switch to him every time. It seems like a waste of a special move to me. And having to shuffle through four characters just to choose who you want seems like a naaaasty idea. It also takes up room for three more potential characters.

Last edited:

ConDeeCas

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ConDeeCas
YL could just use signature moves from the mask transformations without having to transform completely into those characters. BOOM PROBLEM SOLVED YALL WELCOME.
*flies off into the sunset*

Last edited:

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
I loose no matter what in ssb4. So I guess that means I'm the worst smash player ever.
Play project m - i highly recommend it!

The Wii U should not have version exclusive characters. There would be no reason to have the 3Ds version. Not to mention the rage of people who can't get a Wii U.
I disagree... the 3ds version has way better modes - like smash run (smash tour on wiiu sucks soo hard). Also, the 3ds version would be for people that wana play on the run. The game should actually be designed more for playing on the run, and it should be a smaller game in general.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
YL could just use signature moves from the mask transformations without having to transform completely into those characters. BOOM PROBLEM SOLVED YALL WELCOME.
*flies off into the sunset*

lol decent idea.. but that would take away from the whole point of having different masks.. like hed need to transform. Plus each set of moves would be completely different for each version of link.

Well, I did have an idea earlier that wasn't too extensive, but still fit Young Link's play style.

I don't like transformations simply because I don't know of any way to use 'em productively. If I want to play as Sheik in Melee, I'll spend a whole round as him without even touching Zelda. If I want to play as Charizard in Brawl, I'll switch to him every time. It seems like a waste of a special move to me. And having to shuffle through four characters just to choose who you want seems like a naaaasty idea. It also takes up room for three more potential characters.

This is fair.. it would be nice if somehow you could transform mid combo so you can continue comboing with the transformed character.. like if you choose to transform right as you're hitting someone it happens really quickly and you can keep attacking maybe. But if you transform when standing there it takes longer?

Transformations were explicitly removed due to 3DS limitations. We won't be seeing a character with transforming as their "thing" any time soon.

Ya i know.. thats why i made the point that the wiiu version shouldnt be limited by the 3ds.. make it a stand alone game as time progresses.

Last edited:

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
Here's my idea from earlier, if you're interested.
So I've seen a lot of ideas, but with Hyrule Warrior's gameplay of Young Link, and a few elements from Majora's Mask, I have a small idea for a special moveset, with all the standard attacks being the same as they are in Melee.

I've never liked the idea of vast transformations... But there's one exception I have in mind.
I made this for inspiration:

Why are his eyes like that?

To begin with, Young Link will have a Fierce Deity system inspired by Hyrule Warriors: As he deals damage, a magic meter, appearing in a similar location as Little Mac's KO Meter, will charge up.
Side Special - the classic boomering will have a buff, with a longer range, speed, and power,
Standard Special - with the buff of the boomerang, there'll be less of a need for a bow and arrow... Which will be replaced by something inspired by Hyrule Warriors. Young Link would play his Ocarina. This would boost his magic meter, depending on how high his damage percentage is. The higher the damage, the greater the boost.
Up special - ain't nothin' different.
Down special - instead of an ordinary explosive, I'd like to see the powder keg appear, with similarities with to the Blast Box, but more volatile. Of course, I'm not much of a Young Link/Toon Link/Link main, so I'm no expert on whether or not this is a good idea.

The shield will be moved to Link's bag, slightly more vulnerability. His Ocarina will be left in his right hand.

The first taunt will be milk, obviously, the second should be Young Link equipping the mask slapped onto the side of his head. Don't care about the others.

I would also like to see some variety with the costumes and palette swaps:
Green - has the Deku Mask,
Red - has the Goron Mask,
Blue - has the Zora Mask,
White - has the Mask of Truth,
Black - has the All-Nights Mask,
Purple, blue hair - has a blue scarf and a rabbit hat,
Dark Green, darker hair - no mask, Deku Shield and classic Kokiri Sword, inspired by Ocarina of Time,
Something involving the Gilded Sword and the sad Mirror shield

I'm mostly just brainstorming here, but I think these changes are subtle enough to satisfy old Young Link fans, while keeping him different from Toon Link.

While he's in Fierce Deity form, he would handle most moves easier, throwing the giant bombs easily, having greater range, his side special would switch to the ball and chain, which would function like a buffed boomerang. (That was a bad idea.) He would be harder to launch.

His Final Smash could be Chateau Romani, turning li'l Toon Link to Fierce Deity again, using the sword beams ever so loved.

Last edited:

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Hm i see. so you're proposing something based off of hyrule warriors - no mask transformations other than oni link charged up with a special meter... Not bad, oni link is the main thing i want lol

BUT the masks would have such perfect and great moves though! I really would love to have deku, goron and zora links moves to work with.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Transformations where a pretty unpopular concept to begin with as most players preferred to play as only one or the other and not all and it took away a down special move. Even Sakurai acknowledged this if I recall correctly.

Besides since Sakurai doesn't really want to alienate any players who enjoyed Young Link's Melee playstyle. (Which is the reason Dr.Mario became his own seperate character rather than an alt) He'd be more likely to retain the basic concept of his old Melee playstyle while diversifying him a bit (Much like Roy, Falco and Ganondorf) rather than giving him any drastic overhauls.

And considering that the 3DS version sold far more than the Wii U version. There would most probably be a noticeable backlash if there where any exclusive characters for one version. Especially since Sakurai promised multiple times that both versions will have the same characters available for them.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Switching in game wasn't a good idea either, since it's the perfect opportunity for your opponent to charge up a smash attack. If anyone got their switching gimmick back, it would be The Pokémon Trainer, (Pokémon switch each time they are KOed just like in Brawl, but that's the only way you can switch, and only when you select the Pokémon Trainer. Select one of the Pokémon, and it's that Pokémon for the whole match.) and Samus/Zero Suit Samus. (They switch using their Final Smashes again, since it didn't affect their gameplay much.)

Tomo

Smash Rookie
I would not want young link to have switching abilities and if he returns they should give him his double side smash again.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Super Smash Bros. for the Nintendo 3Ds/Wii U has the biggest roster yet, but there are some characters missing from the previous game. With DLC, now is the perfect time to get them back. All they need is support!
WolfThe leader of the rival team: Star Wolf is looking more likely every day! But every supporter counts. :3 http://smashboards.com/threads/cant-let-you-cut-me-sakurai-wolf-for-dlc.324209/page-128
Ice ClimbersThese two kids had some trouble working on the 3Ds version, but with the proper adjustments, I believe that SoPo won't be the only way they can rejoin the fight. Let's support a fellow veteran in their darkest hour! http://smashboards.com/threads/brea...ion-thread-under-new-ownership.324176/page-71
Squirtle
This Pokémon was most likely worked on before, and maybe even after Charizard's reveal. Popularity was the only thing keeping him out then, and it's the only thing keeping him out now. He needs your support now more than ever!
http://smashboards.com/threads/squi...-squirtle-in-the-fighter-ballot.380462/page-2
Ivysaur
Ivysaur was cut along side Squirtle because Charizard was more popular. Ivysaur is going to need your help so he can join Squirtle and Charizard back into the fray with a shiny new Down Special!
http://smashboards.com/threads/ivys...-the-smash-ballot.386368/page-6#post-19460373
Snake
Most people think Snake can't get in because he is owned by a third party company that isn't doing well, and that de wouldn't fit the cartooney style of Super Smash Bros. for the 3Ds/Wii U. It's time to show them how wrong they are, and with enough support, anything can happen!
http://smashboards.com/threads/the-solid-snake-for-smash-dlc-thread-new-revamped-op.324205/page-174
Young Link
Young Link was cut back in Brawl, supposedly replaced by Toon Link. It's time to show everyone how different Young Link can be from Toon Link. The dawn of the third day is upon us. This is Young Link's last chance!
http://smashboards.com/threads/dawn...hope-for-moveset-changes-rises.324215/page-12
Pichu
This poor Pokémon has been the center of hate for years. Not only was he a Pikachu clone, but he hurt himself when using an electric attack. But now that Sakurai has shown us that he is willing to put work into the clone veterans, Pichu has a chance to become something better, and more unique. All he needs is the support!

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...n-under-new-ownership-vote-now.324198/page-14
Now is our time! Let's get our veterans Back!
Many of the veteran support threads are barley scraping by, so I'm posting this in most of them. (I don't think the Snake or Wolf threads would be happy if I put this there, as it's kinda going to another thread to tell everyone to support someone else.)

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Transformations where a pretty unpopular concept to begin with as most players preferred to play as only one or the other and not all and it took away a down special move. Even Sakurai acknowledged this if I recall correctly.

Besides since Sakurai doesn't really want to alienate any players who enjoyed Young Link's Melee playstyle. (Which is the reason Dr.Mario became his own seperate character rather than an alt) He'd be more likely to retain the basic concept of his old Melee playstyle while diversifying him a bit (Much like Roy, Falco and Ganondorf) rather than giving him any drastic overhauls.

And considering that the 3DS version sold far more than the Wii U version. There would most probably be a noticeable backlash if there where any exclusive characters for one version. Especially since Sakurai promised multiple times that both versions will have the same characters available for them.
this may be true, but perhaps making each transformation blend into the other would remove this issue. like i mentioned in an earlier post, i'd make it so at certain times (like lets say only while a hitbox is connecting with an opponent) you could transform really quickly if you pressed down b (or whatever), and then you could link up combos from one transformation to the other. So maybe you could use deku link to damage and set up the opponent to be meteored or something, then quickly transform into goron link, hop up and smash the heck outa them. Deku link would be a recovery/areal/kill set up expert, goron link would be the finisher/grounded expert, and zora link would be the quick/damage dealing/countering expert.

Edit: Id also make transformations in air happen slightly faster and/or give you slight less gravity or something so that if you're in the air as a goron (who would have terrible recovery), if you time it right you can transform and recover with the deku scrub or even zora.

Last edited:

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
I was thinking Young Link's transformation aspect could be used for his Final Smash. Like, a three way attack of him transforming between Deku, Goron and Zora Link and ending with a final blow as Oni Link.

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
I was thinking Young Link's transformation aspect could be used for his Final Smash. Like, a three way attack of him transforming between Deku, Goron and Zora Link and ending with a final blow as Oni Link.
Why do people say "Oni" anyway? I've only heard it as Fierce Deity.

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
I made a move set idea for Young Kink a few months back on another forum. Here's what I had in mind.

"You know who would be a fun DLC character? Young Link. Now hear me out. You may cry out that there's no point in having him while we have Toon Link. But Young Link has the potential to be very unique. The most argued idea is the mask moveset where he would use various masks to change his form. Now, characters can no longer tarns form mid match, but here's my idea. He could briefly put on the Zora mask for his neutral B and shoot the boomerangs then take it off. For side b you could briefly put on the Goron mask and use the rolling attack. Up B would involve using the Deku mask and flying upwards with the flowers. Down b would be interesting. In Hyrule Warriors, Young Link can use the Ocarina of Time yo briefly power himself up. I could see that working like deep breathing or the Monado Arts. Fierce Deity can be the final smash.

Of course, for jab, tilts, aerials, and smashes, he could use the Kokiri sword. Give him unique sword moves and not just copies of Link's. Now, these are just some idea. Young Link could also take advantage of items like deku sticks, deku nuts, the slingshot, etc.
For some visual flare to differentiate him a bit more from the other Links, go with his Hyrule Warriors design that goes with the OoT artstyle and the Keaton mask.
http://atomix.vg/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/WiiU_HyruleWarriors_MajorasMaskDLC_ChildLink_02.jpg
Normally, I would say Young Link is too far-fetched, but he recently was featured in MM3D and was made DLC in Hyrule Warriors."

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
How about this for a Moveset.

Young Link uses the secret sword techniques that he teaches TP Link.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Young Link would have to use his masks, that's what made him unique in Majora's Mask, but I feel like that can only be accomplished with transforming.
Sorry, I should have worded it better.

It might be a good idea to make Young Link's A moves consist of some of the Secret Sword Techniques from TP.

Fogs

Smash Cadet
I support Young Link!
Hoping he comes back with his (adorable) Hyrule Warriors design.
I also think he should use masks in some way, though I think his transformations should be short and sweet, only for the duration of an attack. Like, say his side b turns him into zora link and he lunges forward spinning like you could do underwater in MM. Or his forward smash briefly transforms him into goron link for a huge punch, reverting him to his usual self right after the attack's over.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
I can imagine some decent ways to de-clone Young Link a bit. Give him Link's old f-smash and dash attack from Smash 64, as well as the rapid jab Link had in Smash 64 and Melee (where Young Link also had it anyway). For whatever reason, Sakurai decided that Link shouldn't have a rapid jab anymore when he made Brawl, so letting Young Link keep his would be a small but nice difference. Also, replace his bombs with Bombchus.

As for appearance changes, model Young Link off of his Majora's Mask self. Model his Kokiri Sword, Hero's Shield, Hero's Bow, and Hookshot after their Majora's Mask designs as well.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Bombchus are a great idea too, it's the best Down-B suggestion I have seen really. :p

Do you think Young Link should have F-Airs and B-Airs based on Villager's slingshot attack.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Young Link has always used his slingshot in his games, I think those would make for good aerials. If not, I think it would work great as a Neutral Special.
I was considering making his neutral special the Slingshot actually.

Have it be chargeable like Link and Toon Link's bows, except a full charged slingshot would fire a cluster of pellets while uncharged shots only fire a single pellet.

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Bombchus are a great idea too, it's the best Down-B suggestion I have seen really. :p

Do you think Young Link should have F-Airs and B-Airs based on Villager's slingshot attack.
Bombchu's would be a brilliant idea.

Eh, I'd much prefer Helmsplitter as his Fair.

I was considering making his neutral special the Slingshot actually.

Have it be chargeable like Link and Toon Link's bows, except a full charged slingshot would fire a cluster of pellets while uncharged shots only fire a single pellet.
So like SS slingshot? Not a bad idea.

I had a similar thought though it was more along the lines of if you rapidly tap B, it's like a Flaco's Lasers, but with less end lang and if you change it, it's on strong hitting shot sort of like Villagers close range Fair/Bair

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
What if the Masks worked like Shulk's Technique - wherein, he pulls out a mask and it changes some of his stats?

I guess he could put the mask on while the buff is on without changing his form (avoiding it entirely) and you would know, then, when the buff ran out.

Obviously, FS is FD Link

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
What if the Masks worked like Shulk's Technique - wherein, he pulls out a mask and it changes some of his stats?

I guess he could put the mask on while the buff is on without changing his form (avoiding it entirely) and you would know, then, when the buff ran out.

Obviously, FS is FD Link
That's clever! The stone mask could increase durability, the blast mask could add knockback...

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"

Obviously, FS is FD Link
I've had that thought before except just with the main 3 transformation mask.

Fogs

Smash Cadet
I think the monado-like masks are a pretty neat idea!
Maybe if Young Link's projectile special moves are let go, he could be made into a more rushdown-like character?
That'd be pretty different from Link and Toon Link, right?

Last edited:

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
Unpopular opinion time! I like Young Link the way he is. I don't think he needs the masks or anything like that. He just needs some of his neutral attacks changed up.
Haha, my opinion's the exact opposite. Since both Toon Link and Link seem to have a few of their standard attacks changed, there wouldn't be much need to change Young Link's standards.

Though I'm still pretty strong on my Fierce Deity idea, I'm fond of using a Bombchu for this down-special, especially since the item's already in the game. Some of the more competitive players manage to use bombs to blast themselves for extra jumps or whatever, does anyone know if the Bombchu blows up if held for too long?

Top Bottom