• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dawn of the 3D Remake: Young Link for DLC! (ROY IS SEMI-CLONED! HOPE FOR MOVESET CHANGES RISES!)

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
>sees title
>comes in thread
>starts reading page
>gets excited
>finishes reading page
>gets disappointed
>leaves thread

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
So now that we have the third of the 5 missing Melee characters (not counting IC because they were in Brawl and are a Brawl vet now), I wouldn't be surprised if Young Link and Pichu return too. How nostalgic it would be if the hole Melee roster is there (with Ice Climbers for sure).

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Why do Young Link mains dislike Toon Link?
Because Toon Link more or less took Young Link's place. A lot of Young Link fans hold a grudge against Toon Link for this.

Tomo

Smash Rookie
Because Toon Link more or less took Young Link's place. A lot of Young Link fans hold a grudge against Toon Link for this.
This! Also i personally don't like toon links design. He has a football head. Young link has a much stronger appearance than toon link. Just compare the the intro and victory scene from young link in hyrule warriors with the victory scene from toon link in ssb4 if you have some minutes left. :)
Young Link is the real hero of time

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Why do Young Link mains dislike Toon Link?
Same reason Mewtwo fans hated Lucario (And sometime after, Greninja) the whole "replacement" schtick. I personally much prefer Toon Link over Young Link though....

I think the best option for them is to have them both in the game. Sure the world will suffer a storm full of butthurt and tears but at least both sides can make peace, main the Link they like and move on. Just like the Mewtwo fans did.....

Then again, there seems to be a current rivalry going on between the Link and Toon Link mains.............

Last edited:

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
Everybodu said:
Young Link things
Okay, that makes the most sense, especially the Mewtwo comparison. Even though I was a little put out to find no Mewtwo, I was still willing to accept Lucario... But I hyped myself when Mewtwo was revealed for Smash Bros. 4. I always thought Young Link mains found subtle differences between the Young and the Toon that they preferred, other than the obvious Fire Arrows that they stupidly removed.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Okay, that makes the most sense, especially the Mewtwo comparison. Even though I was a little put out to find no Mewtwo, I was still willing to accept Lucario... But I hyped myself when Mewtwo was revealed for Smash Bros. 4. I always thought Young Link mains found subtle differences between the Young and the Toon that they preferred, other than the obvious Fire Arrows that they stupidly removed.
They say Toon Link is Young Link, but playstyle wise, they are much different.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well they do have differences. Toon Link's attacks relies more on his sword due to his smaller legs compared to Link and Young Link. I suppose a way to differentiate Young Link from the other two Link's is to either take a page from Hyrule Warriors Young Link or use the sword more in line to how he uses the deku stick. Perhaps also let him make use of the slingshot and bomb chu's as well.

I don't expect Young Link to get any drastic changes, but perhaps his supporters could suggest some good variations for his existing moveset. Much like how Sakurai and his team handled Roy. Perhaps even look back at both Melee and Smash 4 Roy in order to get a good idea on what feasibly could be done for Young Link.

Or maybe even look back to what the Melee and Smash 64 Link's had and see if there isn't anything they could bring back. Such as the rapid jab or the old side smash.

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Hey guys, did we ever found out if the Young Link trophy was really or fake?

I don't really hate Toon Link himself. In fact, I really like the little guy. What I hate is how Sakurai has treated him and what he has done to the Links in Smash

Then again, there seems to be a current rivalry going on between the Link and Toon Link mains.............
Yes, yes there is.

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
Hey guys, did we ever found out if the Young Link trophy was really or fake?

I don't really hate Toon Link himself. In fact, I really like the little guy. What I hate is how Sakurai has treated him and what he has done to the Links in Smash

Yes, yes there is.
The one that guy uploaded is fake.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I highly doubt it, he didn't even spell "there's" correctly, and I can't find any other reliable source that says otherwise.
Hm, I guess you right.

Though one comment caught my eye.

Some said that apparently a person said that Sakurai was going to reveal most cut vets in the next direct.

I am taking this with less than a grain of slat but if this was true, oh my Hylia.

Tomo

Smash Rookie
No news. If they only could put young link in asap. Then i would not care for the rest of the roster anymore. :(

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

TheRealHeroOfWinds

Smash Ace
Both are fake.

I thought we already confirmed that, so having the "did he get data mined" thing makes you look like idiots. Imo anyways

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Most character's pose changes in the character select screen.
His actual artwork
His (very creepy) appearance on the character select screen.
I think everyone does this. Both Mewtwo and Roy have been portrayed using their official artwork. I think they would do the same for Pichu and Young Link, so that's why I think Pichu's is fake.
@ TheRealHeroOfWinds TheRealHeroOfWinds The title brought you here didn't it? If so, then it served it's purpose.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
http://supersmashbros.wikia.com/wiki/Roy_(SSBWU/3DS)
Roy has received a major update, most of his animations have been tweaked or completely changed to look more aggressive and reflect his personality, contrasting with Marth's. His overall speed and power seems to have been balanced to match the rest of the cast.

His appearance is now on a combination of his original and Fire Emblem: Awakening's DLC designs. He also has a complete different standing stance and idle pose as opposed to Marth's.

Attributes
  • Taller than in Melee, now being as tall as Marth.
  • Different jump and double jump animation.
  • Different walking animation, as well faster ground movement.
  • Overall faster and stronger, with all sweetspot and sourspot attacks dealing higher knockback.
  • Many of his attack animations are now done with him holding the sword with a reverse grip (with the blade facing down), resulting in different speed and range compared to Marth and Lucina's.
Ground Attacks
  • Neutral Attack has a different animation, where Roy slashes forward and slightly upwards, holding the sword with a reverse grip. It is also faster, with less ending lag.
  • Forward Tilt has a different animation, where Roy slashes forward in an arc while holding the sword with a reverse grip. It is slightly faster, with less ending lag and deals stronger knockback.
  • Down Tilt is slightly slower, however it now sends opponents in a more horizontal trajectory, acting as semi-spike against aerial opponents. However, this also diminishes its combo potential.
  • Up Tilt has a slightly tweaked animation, with Roy slashing upwards holding the sword with a reverse grip. It has more horizontal reach than Marth and Lucina's in the frontal hitbox. It is also deals more damage and knockback.
  • Forward Smash has a different animation, now being a sideway slash with both hands gripping on the sword, losing vertical range, however with increased horizontal range. It is also slightly faster.
  • Down Smash's first hit sends opponents in a more horizontal trajectory, however it deals less damage. The second hit deals slightly more damage.
  • Up Smash has a slightly different animation, with Roy pumping the sword by the end while emitting an explosive burst. Additionally, the first hit causes no knockback, meaning Roy must connect all hits in order to KO an opponent. On the other way, the hits now connect better and deal more damage.
  • Dash Attack has a different animation, being a short sideway slash while holding the sword with a reverse grip. It covers less range, but is faster. Also, Roy no longer ducks while delivering the attack, now standing upright.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
I'm so down for a masks young link. I'd make him the new only character that can change forms though. That would be his thing.. down b would make him cycle through his masks.

The thing is i would have thought IF this would happen it would be at the same time as the re release of majoras mask. But hopefully its something that could still happen happen. That FD link as a final smash has always nagged at me lol

I also hope that future dlcs would provide us with more alterante movesets for characters and give us new moves for toon link based off of his zelda games (WW, minish, 4 swords etc)

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I imagine Roy got the changes he did (whereas Mewtwo and Lucas only got minor changes) because these were the changes he was planning to get for Brawl when all the clones were being diversified...

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
I've never liked transformation based gameplay though...
How come? I dont think its that bad. Especially in a game like smash wiiU. Its not like its a super balanced competitively designed game.

Not sure how masks link would even work without transformations. it wouldnt make sense in the animation and speed of attacks field.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I wouldn't be surprised he planned changed moves for Young Link if he decided that he should come back. He may not have been planned for Brawl, but it doesn't mean he can't plan moveset changes for Young Link too during DLC development time.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
I also feel like since now all the other transformations are gone it would be good to have ONE character who has that as their "thing"

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Its not like its a super balanced competitively designed game.
Um... except it is.
I also feel like since now all the other transformations are gone it would be good to have ONE character who has that as their "thing"
The transformations were most likely done away with because of the 3Ds limitations. Notice that it takes longer for you to respawn if you die while using a transformation Final Smash. (Or how Giga Bowser glitched out in the tournament.)

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Um... except it is.
Nope.. play some project m then talk to me about balance.

The transformations were most likely done away with because of the 3Ds limitations. Notice that it takes longer for you to respawn if you die while using a transformation Final Smash. (Or how Giga Bowser glitched out in the tournament.)
Ya this is possibly the case.. which is rather annoying. I really think the wiiu should have a different/larger roster than the 3ds. it shouldnt be limited because of the 3ds. Its silly that sakurai is insisting to make the games the same.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Nope.. play some project m then talk to me about balance.
Considering I'm bad in ssb4, I wouldn't be able to play a game full of advanced technique heavy gameplay to save my life...Oh NOW I get it. Just because you can't do your stupid Dash Dances, and Wave Dashes doesn't mean the game isn't very balanced or competitive! Sakurai has taken a lot of time to balance these characters, while trying to keep them true to their playstyle! I say he did a great job, and that there is no "bad" character in the game. You just gotta know how to play them!

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Nah man. PM is wayyyy more balanced. im actually not a dash dancer or wavedasher. Theres just way more fluidity to project m, you can actually link up combos, and you dont constantly have to survive stage hazards. You have complete control of your own outcome, if you lose you only have yourself to blame. Whereas in smash4 anyone can win no matter what. Project m TRULY has no bad characters.. i really cant play with a lota characters in smash 4 whereas i can play with anyone in PM. Its actually more intuitive than smash 4, and i think easier for people to pick up unless theyre playing against mega pros.

Smash 4 is still a fun game (when played with high gravity and higher knockback, and all the annoying stages are turned off). And now with ryu its REALLY grabbed my attention a lot more. But its still not perfect. I hope someone hacks it and fixes it. That being said, sakurai has done a great job with a lot of the game. I just prefer faster gameplay that involves actual skill rather than random chance.

Anyway not trying to argue fellow smash brother. But if u play project m with equal level friends, you will get a lot better at it and realize its not THAT advanced. I probably suck compared to most crazy PM players, but its just a way more fun game for me.

Also, you missed responding to my 2nd thing lol.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
You have complete control of your own outcome, if you lose you only have yourself to blame. Whereas in smash4 anyone can win no matter what.
I loose no matter what in ssb4. So I guess that means I'm the worst smash player ever.
Also, you missed responding to my 2nd thing lol.
The Wii U should not have version exclusive characters. There would be no reason to have the 3Ds version. Not to mention the rage of people who can't get a Wii U.

Top Bottom