• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dawn of the 3D Remake: Young Link for DLC! (ROY IS SEMI-CLONED! HOPE FOR MOVESET CHANGES RISES!)

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Well, when you get down to it, all of the Links are pretty bland characters. That's one of the major drawbacks to being a silent protagonist. Since the character can't talk, and "character" they have has to come from how they react to the world, and how the world reacts to them.

In this respect, this is where the unique art style of Wind Waker is greatly beneficial. The more cartoon-esque look of the game allows for a lot more unique visual expressions out of the characters, allowing them to show a wider range of feelings and emotions without the need to use dialogue. Link himself benefits greatly from this; whereas older Links usually had only one or two facial expressions total, Toon Link is able to express joy, anger, fear, sadness, etc, and do so prominently thanks to the distinct art style. Being able to visually show all those emotions goes a long way into making Link feel like an actual human character, and not just a human-shaped block of code for the player to control.

What's more, Wind Waker presents a scenario in which Link is allowed to actually show some semblance of character. You see Link go into a blind rage when his sister is kidnapped. You see how torn up he is about leaving his home and his grandmother behind. What starts as a kid regretfully but adamantly leaving his home to try and rescue his sister eventually grows into a young man strong enough to leave home and go off on his own adventure. Little touches like that really do make a difference in taking a one-dimensional character and giving him something resembling depth and development.

One of the original ideas for the Legend of Zelda series was to tell the story of a boy growing over the course of his adventure. To that extent, I personally feel like Toon Link captured this best.
Oh, I see what you mean. I can actually 100% agree with you. Toon link can just show so much more emotion than most other Links Though I think that SS Link also pulls off what you just described very well, particular with how much of a role they gave Zedla in the story. Personal, I actually really like Toon Link (or WW Link at least). His just such an awesome character plus his super adorable. And honestly, I don't mind that Toon Link is in Smash Bros.Not saying I don't want Young Link back, just saying that Toon Link a cool bloke ( I think I like him a little ore than normal link in some cases) Though, I'm just really disappointed how little they have actually done with him. I mean, they could have kept him a semi clone, but if they had just added a few unique things to him (i.e Jab from PM, sliding Spin Attack) and hadn't nerfed him as much, I'd be less disappointed in Young Link being in Smash.

However, I still think that Young Link is one of the great Link's by far and for one reason only. He has a sadder story than any other Link that exists. His friend left him for no reason, he was force to become an adult to say a world and they force to return to his own time to live his child hood, knowing the future of a doomed hyrule. He had to live the same 3 days over and over again, having people he knew forget him and knowing they were doom while he would be safe. He has seen countless people die. And to top it all off, was plunge into darkness, went to war with the Gerudos and was flood, all because he tried to save. And no one remembers him. No one thanked him for his for saving them. All that was anyone remember was his title as the Hero of Time.

I not sure I explained it as well as I could, but Young Link's story is one of the saddest stories I have ever heard.

:135:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Oh, I see what you mean. I can actually 100% agree with you. Toon link can just show so much more emotion than most other Links Though I think that SS Link also pulls off what you just described very well, particular with how much of a role they gave Zedla in the story. Personal, I actually really like Toon Link (or WW Link at least). His just such an awesome character plus his super adorable. And honestly, I don't mind that Toon Link is in Smash Bros.Not saying I don't want Young Link back, just saying that Toon Link a cool bloke ( I think I like him a little ore than normal link in some cases) Though, I'm just really disappointed how little they have actually done with him. I mean, they could have kept him a semi clone, but if they had just added a few unique things to him (i.e Jab from PM, sliding Spin Attack) and hadn't nerfed him as much, I'd be less disappointed in Young Link being in Smash.

However, I still think that Young Link is one of the great Link's by far and for one reason only. He has a sadder story than any other Link that exists. His friend left him for no reason, he was force to become an adult to say a world and they force to return to his own time to live his child hood, knowing the future of a doomed hyrule. He had to live the same 3 days over and over again, having people he knew forget him and knowing they were doom while he would be safe. He has seen countless people die. And to top it all off, was plunge into darkness, went to war with the Gerudos and was flood, all because he tried to save. And no one remembers him. No one thanked him for his for saving them. All that was anyone remember was his title as the Hero of Time.

I not sure I explained it as well as I could, but Young Link's story is one of the saddest stories I have ever heard.

Well, you could definitely make an argument for the tragedy of Young Link's history. Personally, though, as tragic as his tale may be, it really doesn't do much for me because we never see how all this has affected him as a person. How has being an adult for a time changed him? Is he any wiser, or has such an ordeal scarred him for life? Is he at all bothered by constantly reliving the same days over and over with the weight of an entire world on his shoulders? Or is he completely indifferent to it all?

While there's definitely some interesting backstory to him that could make for a really fascinating character, it's just not explored in any way, so it doesn't leave much of an impact. By comparison, the characters of the Links in Wind Waker and Skyward Sword, while perhaps simpler in concept, work better in execution because we get some glimpse of how their ordeals impact them. There's genuine sorrow to be felt with these characters, which, I think, makes them more compelling characters.

I suppose I'm probably derailing this thread with critical character analyses at this point, but I thought I'd share my thoughts on the matter.

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
Well, you could definitely make an argument for the tragedy of Young Link's history. Personally, though, as tragic as his tale may be, it really doesn't do much for me because we never see how all this has affected him as a person. How has being an adult for a time changed him? Is he any wiser, or has such an ordeal scarred him for life? Is he at all bothered by constantly reliving the same days over and over with the weight of an entire world on his shoulders? Or is he completely indifferent to it all?
Well, we do see the hero's shade, theorized to be the Hero of Time, which, if it was the case, would reveal most of the answers to your question... But other than that, you're right, he really is a Gordan Freeman-esque blank slate to be filled in by the player.

Oh - and on Toon Link, I would like to point out that he's not even of royal/hero blood! He's just a kid who saves the day, which is the coolest thing about him.

Since there is a Hero bloodline, I would love to see a Zelda game that takes place from the perspective of Link whose father is also the Hero of something. They always talk about how Link is an ancestor of various Heroes, but we seldom see anyone who's actually related to Link!

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"

While there's definitely some interesting backstory to him that could make for a really fascinating character, it's just not explored in any way, so it doesn't leave much of an impact. By comparison, the characters of the Links in Wind Waker and Skyward Sword, while perhaps simpler in concept, work better in execution because we get some glimpse of how their ordeals impact them. There's genuine sorrow to be felt with these characters, which, I think, makes them more compelling characters.

I suppose I'm probably derailing this thread with critical character analyses at this point, but I thought I'd share my thoughts on the matter.
Yeah, I guess Young Link doesn't express his sorrow so much in the game. The magna does it much better. However, you do have to take into consideration the technology of the time. Oot was a pretty big game back then. I don't think they had much room to really explore how much the journey was really effecting Young Link. I still find the Young Link's story really sad, but I am really loving how they are now show what Link is feeling during his adventure. When his scared, when his anger, when he feels guilty etc. It just amazing. Particular since he doesn't say a word!

Nah, it's fine. I am very interesting in hear your opinions about Link. Though i'm curious False Sense. How come you still visit this thread? I thought you were against Young Link return? Also, why you no visit RST anymore?

Since there is a Hero bloodline, I would love to see a Zelda game that takes place from the perspective of Link whose father is also the Hero of something. They always talk about how Link is an ancestor of various Heroes, but we seldom see anyone who's actually related to Link!
But then it would break the gold rule of Link. He never talks! (not include the few moments it has)

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Yeah, I guess Young Link doesn't express his sorrow so much in the game. The magna does it much better. However, you do have to take into consideration the technology of the time. Oot was a pretty big game back then. I don't think they had much room to really explore how much the journey was really effecting Young Link. I still find the Young Link's story really sad, but I am really loving how they are now show what Link is feeling during his adventure. When his scared, when his anger, when he feels guilty etc. It just amazing. Particular since he doesn't say a word!

Nah, it's fine. I am very interesting in hear your opinions about Link. Though i'm curious False Sense. How come you still visit this thread? I thought you were against Young Link return? Also, why you no visit RST anymore?
Yeah, dramatic storytelling in video games has definitely improved over the years. Partly because technological advances have allowed it, and partly because more and more developers are actively exploring the potential video games have for such stories. Link as a character has benefitted from this over the years, evolving from a simple link for the players into the world of the game and into a more fleshed out character in each incarnation.

As for me, I go through various threads on occasion out of curiosity/boredom. Passed through here and then this discussion happened. :p

Regarding the RST, to spare you the details, I have other social areas on here I frequent much more. But I digress, this stuff isn't exactly about Young Link, now is it?

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Yeah, dramatic storytelling in video games has definitely improved over the years. Partly because technological advances have allowed it, and partly because more and more developers are actively exploring the potential video games have for such stories. Link as a character has benefitted from this over the years, evolving from a simple link for the players into the world of the game and into a more fleshed out character in each incarnation.

As for me, I go through various threads on occasion out of curiosity/boredom. Passed through here and then this discussion happened. :p

Regarding the RST, to spare you the details, I have other social areas on here I frequent much more. But I digress, this stuff isn't exactly about Young Link, now is it?
And hopefully it will get better from now one. I am really excited now to see what they are going to do to Link in Zelda U.

Oh, I see. I would say i was a coincidence, but I don't believe in coincidence. Unless I'm busy, then I always believe in coincidences

Oh, like which ones? I'm guessing Rosaluma. Anyway, would be nice if came and visited from time to tip the scales time

No, I guess it's not about Young Link now I guess XD

Though speaking of Young Link, are you still against him making a return?

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Oh, like which ones?

Though speaking of Young Link, are you still against him making a return?

I'm not really at liberty to say.

Regarding Young Link, I'm not terribly fond of the idea of him returning, as I see him as sort of extraneous at this point, and I don't really have any personal attachment to him. That being said, I'm mostly indifferent at this point.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Basically what False Sense said in regards to Toon Link for why I enjoy him the most as a character. He's one of the few Link's that have expressed more emotion and personality and having more of a goal of their own rather than simply being a chosen one and because they had to.

Toon Link set off initially because he wanted to save his sister, and then had to go through various trials in order to prove to the gods that he was a hero in his own right. The unique art style being able to convey various emotions helped a lot too in order to develop his character such as his breakdown when Aryll got kidnapped, his sorrow when leaving Outset Island, his determination to face off against the Helmarock King and his calm expression at the end of the game showing that he has grown up after all was said and done added a lot to his character which is no wonder why he's a very popular character. Especially with the Japanese fanbase.

But I guess that's a little off-topic so back to Young Link and Smash 4. I personally think that due to the smaller team Sakurai is working with and if we where to get like another wave of three/four characters, that we probably will be seeing one or two semi clones included again so I suppose in that sense Sakurai can probably revisit characters like Young Link again and see if he can tweak him a little to make him stand out a little from both Link and Toon Link.

That's what I think at least..... I have no real desire to see him back but I don't really have any issues with him either. I think it would probably be neat to see a battle between the Hero of Time and the Hero of Winds too. ^^

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I'm not really at liberty to say.

Regarding Young Link, I'm not terribly fond of the idea of him returning, as I see him as sort of extraneous at this point, and I don't really have any personal attachment to him. That being said, I'm mostly indifferent at this point.
Okay then. Fair enough.

oh. So your still a little iff about his return but don't mind if he does?

Who says he has to talk anyway?

KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!

Top Bottom