• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dark Samus Approaching: Extreme caution recommended.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
It's been a long time since I have been to anything ssb related and when I came back to look I see this. Just wonderful, can't wait for this to get done. So hyped.
Glad to see that the project piques your interest.

I have been contemplating getting a Wii U solely for Smash 4 ever since the announcement of all the DLC characters this year... but it's a difficult decision since word is Nintendo is abandoning the Wii U soon... aye. Decisions, decisions.

Or I can just get a PS4 which is guaranteed to have a pretty good lifespan.

Yeller1999

Smash Journeyman
Ok, sorry if this is gets off subject of thread but since I am getting back into smash I have been looking at mods and when your Dark Samus comes out it will definitely get into my custom build along with Ridley, Waluigi (when he is done), Deoxys (when it's done), and Triforce Ganondorf.

Yeller1999

Smash Journeyman
ok sorry to ask even though I read through a bunch of pages and got caught up but I am really tired will this be 3.6 compatible?

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman

Right now I really want to recreate this Phazon Orb as accurately as possible. I first settled on using an edited Aura Sphere that looked good, but decided to give a stab at doing this. If anyone has any ideas, spit em out. I was thinking about modding the shield graphic but I don't know if it will fully work out.

This was a very old attempt that I would like to improve:

If all attempts don't yield a good result, the aura sphere is still a good substitute.

Last edited:

Cahalan

Smash Ace

Right now I really want to recreate this Phazon Orb as accurately as possible. I first settled on using an edited Aura Sphere that looked good, but decided to give a stab at doing this. If anyone has any ideas, spit em out. I was thinking about modding the shield graphic but I don't know if it will fully work out.

If all attempts don't yield a good result, the aura sphere is still a good substitute.

Have you tried using the Volt Tackle orb from Pikachu's final smash as a base?

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
Have you tried using the Volt Tackle orb from Pikachu's final smash as a base?
Oh hell yes, that was one of the first graphics I considered. It is incredibly space consuming and was way too flashy to incorporate sensibly though. Plus, its probably one of the most complicated graphic files in Brawl, there were several files incorporated into it for the final result whereas most graphics just have one (in my experience modding).

It looks so good though. Aye.

Cahalan

Smash Ace
Oh hell yes, that was one of the first graphics I considered. It is incredibly space consuming and was way too flashy to incorporate sensibly though. Plus, its probably one of the most complicated graphic files in Brawl, there were several files incorporated into it for the final result whereas most graphics just have one (in my experience modding).

It looks so good though. Aye.
Then what about using Mewtwo's new Shadow ball in 3.6?

Volt-Ikazuchi

Smash Journeyman

Maybe you can make the effect of the second picture a bit darker like the Aura Sphere. That would look good and probably not cause too much lag.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman

Bioscan complete. Target DNA confirmed: Dark Samus. Target is energizing herself, building internal supply of Phazon energy to dangerously high levels. She is capable of absorbing energy from Phaaze to replenish her own.

Cahalan

Smash Ace
That's not really the point of me asking. Just a casual vote to see what option is more popular.
Well in that case, I favor Boost Ball because Phazon Reflection Shield sounds like a spacies' reflector just from the name, unless it does something completely different.

Last edited:

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
Well in that case, I favor Boost Ball because Phazon Reflection Shield sounds like a spacies' reflector just from the name, unless it does something completely different.
Well I haven't even begun either of these moves so no concept is set in stone. So far I have 3/4 specials completed and this is the last one.

The reflector would be just a reflector. Press Down + B the moment a projectile is about to make contact and it would reflect back at the opponent. In Corruption, Dark Samus summons the tendrils to reflect missiles back at Samus. In Echoes, she conjures something that looks like a mini-lightning storm.

The boost ball ideally I would like to act like Pikachu's Skull Bash with a charging mechanic. Better yet if it could be homing like Sonic's special, that would be perfect but I'm not so sure that's possible.

Out of the two, the reflector would be way easier to code since Pit already has the Mirror Shield coding but I could always just give the Down Smash reflector properties too.

Last edited:

Cahalan

Smash Ace
Well I haven't even begun either of these moves so no concept is set in stone. So far I have 3/4 specials completed and this is the last one.

The reflector would be just a reflector. Press Down + B the moment a projectile is about to make contact and it would reflect back at the opponent. In Corruption, Dark Samus summons the tendrils to reflect missiles back at Samus. In Echoes, she conjures something that looks like a mini-lightning storm.

The boost ball ideally I would like to act like Pikachu's Skull Bash with a charging mechanic. Better yet if it could be homing like Sonic's special, that would be perfect but I'm not so sure that's possible.

Out of the two, the reflector would be way easier to code since Pit already has the Mirror Shield coding but I could always just give the Down Smash reflector properties too.
I'd perfer reflective properties on the Down Smash, aesthetically if two moves look the same but do something different then the two moves just "blur" together. Though it's ultimately your choice. :)

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
I'd perfer reflective properties on the Down Smash, aesthetically if two moves look the same but do something different then the two moves just "blur" together. Though it's ultimately your choice. :)
I agree 100%. If only Pit had a mix of Pikachu's Side Special and Sonic's special coding it would be a no brainer to go with the boost ball!!!

Just to put things into perspective though on how tough it will be to code for a boost ball attack... getting the down smash aka SSB4 Dark Samus AT Tendril Attack to look as good as it does now took a long time. Probably months of continual improvements until I finally said, "ENOUGH". And the down smash is just a simple 1 step subaction i.e. it's just the move itself. That means coding for hitboxes, graphics and SFX for only one move which is doable. Again, thanks to Bagan for the excellent tendril model too.

But then you have specials which are compromised by several moves and many different coding variables. Things can get confusing to say the least. But the boost ball is probably worth it.

Last edited:

Volt-Ikazuchi

Smash Journeyman
Decisions, decisions...

Phazon Reflection Shield could be good and we all know how much Dark Samus loves to spam it, but Boost Ball is also one of her signature moves and I'd definitely like a quick movement option....

Kinda hard to pick one without really knowing her normals, but I vote for Boost Ball.

Kamineigh

Smash Apprentice
Boost ball. Reflection should be saved for her Down Smash.

A boost ball gives her a tool that would mix-up her approach. Will she run and shoot, or will she bonk you in the head with a high-speed morph ball? Who knows?

Sirkura

Smash Cadet
I'm glad to see this is back in progress, i still have the beta from when we helped you work on it previously. you have really spent a lot of time on it, it looks amazing. if i remember right one of the early early builds of DS over marth had the lightning reflect mapped as down B but had an upwards animation. (always thought that was wonkey). but what if you mapped it instead as an uptilt? personally i think i'd prefere the boostball. i remember seeing it in game and thinking more along the lines of "DEAR GOD MAKE IT STOP!" xD one of those OSHi- moments. also are you still planning on doing the arora for the FS?

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
I'm glad to see this is back in progress, i still have the beta from when we helped you work on it previously. you have really spent a lot of time on it, it looks amazing. if i remember right one of the early early builds of DS over marth had the lightning reflect mapped as down B but had an upwards animation. (always thought that was wonkey). but what if you mapped it instead as an uptilt? personally i think i'd prefere the boostball. i remember seeing it in game and thinking more along the lines of "DEAR GOD MAKE IT STOP!" xD one of those OSHi- moments. also are you still planning on doing the arora for the FS?
Much thanks. Yeah, that beta is so dated so everything has been revamped from then.

Haha, and yeah that's how I reacted when I first fought Dark Samus on the elevator. It was an awesome move and killed me many times. It was like a preview to Metroid Pinball.

Sirkura

Smash Cadet
Much thanks. Yeah, that beta is so dated so everything has been revamped from then.

Haha, and yeah that's how I reacted when I first fought Dark Samus on the elevator. It was an awesome move and killed me many times. It was like a preview to Metroid Pinball.
hehe ikr? xD and i thought the darkling boss was a pain with boost ball xD If you need help with anything feel free to pm me, PSA wise i'm not that great but i can still do model work and animations. actually been trying to get echo's final form to work properly, its giving a lot of transparancy issues.

Shiruzato

Smash Cadet
I'd vote Reflection Shield, as it would be easier to code while not being unfaithful to the character. I'm already used to the attack being over other DS PSAs anyways.

Kamineigh

Smash Apprentice
Is Dark Samus' n-air still her sphere attack? If so, DS could potentially have two reflectors while still keeping her boost ball attack.

The n-air reflector wouldn't boost the damage of a reflected projectile, and would be a great tool for getting projectiles out of her way quickly.
The d-smash reflector would increase the power of reflected projectiles, and would function as a way to punish someone about use a powerful projectile.

This way, Dark Samus could become a walking bullet hell, between her own projectiles and all the ones she's hurling back at her opponents.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
How it felt to be a Metroid fan in 2015 with the hope of an announcement of a legitimate Metroid game only to have the Federation Force reveal.

0:20 - 0:34

Last edited:

Kamineigh

Smash Apprentice
I don't get the hate for Federation Force. It's neat to see the Metroid universe from the perspective of the Federation. I do think they should have stayed away from chibified proportions though.

It's like Luigi's Mansion, where after years of sitting on the sidelines, they get a chance to shine.

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
I don't get the hate for Federation Force. It's neat to see the Metroid universe from the perspective of the Federation. I do think they should have stayed away from chibified proportions though.

It's like Luigi's Mansion, where after years of sitting on the sidelines, they get a chance to shine.
I like you. You get me. I've always wanted a Federation game... But it was done in the worst way: Chibi. If they play some Zelda art-style things on such a great franchise from game-to-game, I'll be sad.

So... No Chibi Dark Samus costume, right?

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
We've already had plenty games though where the Federation has been fleshed out enough, especially compared to other races/factions in the Metroid mythos (Federation's prolly the most bland out of them too if I'm to be honest). And of course, might've been better received if had been introduced at any other time than the post-Other M drought...

Since there's space pirates in the game with their Prime 2 design, it'd be cool if there was a chibi Dark Samus somewhere in the midst, but I doubt it.

And I vote Phazon reflection shield too. Wouldn't mind the boost ball though if it doesn't feel Sonic esque.

Top Bottom