• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dark Samus Approaching: Extreme caution recommended.

Xenozoa425

Smash Ace
NNID
tehross425
3DS FC
3754-7153-5146
I'm just throwing out random ideas. I don't mean to come off as rude or whatever, and it's my last intention to do so. But you do have to admit that I have a valid point; is giving Dark Samus a cloning gimmick really that feasible and worth it in the end? Dark Samus already has more than enough material that can be used to make her 100% differentiated from Samus. You already have a ton of impressive work done already... I think your best option is to polish what you have and focus on rebalancing, tweaking hitboxes, adjusting KB and KBG on moves, finishing animations, etc. Once you have something that is, for the most part, concrete and whole, then I think you could go back, deconstruct and think "Hmm, how can I incorporate new ideas and moves into what I have now?"

I've been following this topic since you first made it TC, you don't know how much I'd kill for a playable Dark Samus in a Smash game. Right now my only hope is you, because being made DLC for Sm4sh is nigh impossible.
If you want your ideas to be taken with a grain of salt Xenozoa, perhaps learn how to mod and code and make Dark Samus yourself?
Now you're just taking it the wrong way. I never said "my ideas are the best and you're stupid if you don't use them", I'm just throwing out ideas. You don't have to take anyone's advice here, honestly. But it's always nice to have more than one kind of opinion to consider when you're brainstorming ideas and trying out new concepts. Not everyone is always going to agree with you. There will always be people who disagree with some of your ideas and thoughts. I'm being brutally honest here, I still stand by the fact that I don't like the cloning concept, because it seems like it would be overcentralizng and pure hell to balance in standard gameplay. But I'm not going to say that it's a bad or dumb idea, because it really isn't... I just don't agree with it, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Last edited:

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
I'm just throwing out random ideas. I don't mean to come off as rude or whatever, and it's my last intention to do so. But you do have to admit that I have a valid point; is giving Dark Samus a cloning gimmick really that feasible and worth it in the end? Dark Samus already has more than enough material that can be used to make her 100% differentiated from Samus. You already have a ton of impressive work done already... I think your best option is to polish what you have and focus on rebalancing, tweaking hitboxes, adjusting KB and KBG on moves, finishing animations, etc. Once you have something that is, for the most part, concrete and whole, then I think you could go back, deconstruct and think "Hmm, how can I incorporate new ideas and moves into what I have now?"

I've been following this topic since you first made it TC, you don't know how much I'd kill for a playable Dark Samus in a Smash game. Right now my only hope is you, because being made DLC for Sm4sh is nigh impossible.

Now you're just taking it the wrong way. I never said "my ideas are the best and you're stupid if you don't use them", I'm just throwing out ideas. You don't have to take anyone's advice here, honestly. But it's always nice to have more than one kind of opinion to consider when you're brainstorming ideas and trying out new concepts. Not everyone is always going to agree with you. There will always be people who disagree with some of your ideas and thoughts. I'm being brutally honest here, I still stand by the fact that I don't like the cloning concept, because it seems like it would be overcentralizng and pure hell to balance in standard gameplay. But I'm not going to say that it's a bad or dumb idea, because it really isn't... I just don't agree with it, and there's nothing wrong with that.
Ahhh, I apologize. Now I understand where you're coming from. I jumped the gun when I read the "headless chicken" blurb about the cloning ideas. I'm putting a lot of thought into the PSA so I guess I take any sort of criticism pretty hard. I will admit however that I'm guilty of trying to tackle too many ideas for the PSA. It's just that Dark Samus has so much potential, it get exhausting trying to narrow down what to include in the moveset.

On the polishing of the PSA, I already know at this point I would need more experienced coders/testers to aid in this. As I've outlined before, this project has already been extremely extensive and getting sound effects, graphics, and animations to coincide with the right hitboxes on EVERYTHING is something I simply can't do myself. I can create the moves and concepts for specials, but I am going to need more people if this is ever going to be up to standards with Project M's cast. This project was my first crack at modding a moveset, and the only reason it's gotten to this level is because I stuck with it. I can totally see why people give up on modding, it can be extremely time consuming and frustrating to get things just the way you want them.

I am extremely grateful for the users that have offered assistance however: @Drogoth supplying the tentacle model and giving special coding advice, @Nanobuds for polishing the SSB4 Dark Samus model, BaganSmashBros BaganSmashBros for giving an updated tendril model, and plenty more people that I can't remember off the top of my head.

Don't get me wrong, I think the work I've completed is awesome and is true to Dark Samus to the best of my ability but to have everything feel "just right" the PSA will need a team. I feel like if she is ever going to make more progress I'll need dedicated people who can examine and polish what I've completed so far.

Last edited:

Cahalan

Smash Ace
Dark-Samus-Lives Dark-Samus-Lives My suggestion would be to have a concrete idea about the moveset for Dark Samus. Get that version released and balanced for the general public and then when the foundation of the moveset is set in stone, then it would be appropriate to go all out in adding all of the details that you want to/are able to. What sets some PSA'ers back is that they want to be ambitious from the start. While some people can manage that, not everyone can follow suit.

TL:DR, release the core moveset for Dark Samus and get that balanced; then go crazy with the details/references.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
Dark-Samus-Lives Dark-Samus-Lives My suggestion would be to have a concrete idea about the moveset for Dark Samus. Get that version released and balanced for the general public and then when the foundation of the moveset is set in stone, then it would be appropriate to go all out in adding all of the details that you want to/are able to. What sets some PSA'ers back is that they want to be ambitious from the start. While some people can manage that, not everyone can follow suit.

TL:DR, release the core moveset for Dark Samus and get that balanced; then go crazy with the details/references.
Good suggestion but what I was getting at is that I would need more people for even a "core" moveset to be released.

KingOfTheHill

Smash Cadet
Does Dark Samus have a final smash yet? If not, I think the Dark Samus clones would make for a pretty cool final smash.

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
Does Dark Samus have a final smash yet? If not, I think the Dark Samus clones would make for a pretty cool final smash.
I always thought a Metroid Prime transformation Final Smash akin to Mr. Game & Watch's would be cool... But yours is probably much more feasible.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Has anyone successfully used Nanobud's Dark Samus model over Samus? For me, she keeps crashing the game...
I used it and its awesome. You are using it for Dark Samus, right? Your Dark Samus has more bones, so, it crashes the game when it fails to find those bones. Just like with MP3 model and outdated SSB4 model.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
I used it and its awesome. You are using it for Dark Samus, right? Your Dark Samus has more bones, so, it crashes the game when it fails to find those bones. Just like with MP3 model and outdated SSB4 model.
Actually the model worked from the very beginning since Nanobuds PM'd me a model with the correct number of bones... i even double checked. And it was working for a week before suddenly crashing the game.

Then I deleted some textures to decrease the file size and got it to work for a couple more days... And now it suddenly doesn't want to load. Maybe it's too much data for Marth's file.

Weiss

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5000-5576-8555
I haven't been getting notifications as of lately, but I am extremely happy to see all this progress here. You are really advancing! Thank you, and all those who've been helping this project take flight. Its really been great to see Dark Samus getting the attention she deserves. Keep it up!

PurplishBacon

Smash Cadet
I was worried for a moment the project had died but I'm glad its still going. Definitely looking forward to it.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
:surprised: The tendrils look waaaaaaaay better! How did you end up using the clones?
Credit @BaganSmashBrod for the Model and the lighting/textures. It looks straight out of SSB4 which is amazing. So good job to Bagan.

I animated and positioned them around DS, which was a major pain in the ass but it looks very good in my humble opinion.

In other news, RIP Project M. :( Is there even a point to finishing DS now?

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
Credit @BaganSmashBrod for the Model and the lighting/textures. It looks straight out of SSB4 which is amazing. So good job to Bagan.

I animated and positioned them around DS, which was a major pain in the *** but it looks very good in my humble opinion.

In other news, RIP Project M. :( Is there even a point to finishing DS now?
Yes, because now, we rely ON YOU, my friend. We, as the community, are the new face of Project M. United we stand, and apart, WE DIE.
Probably.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
Yes, because now, we rely ON YOU, my friend. We, as the community, are the new face of Project M. United we stand, and apart, WE DIE.
Probably.
True. I guess Dark Samus would imbue some interest in Project M for a little longer.

Kamineigh

Smash Apprentice
True. I guess Dark Samus would imbue some interest in Project M for a little longer.
Well, Project M isn't releasing any more updates or balances, and 3.6 is basically the last version made by the PMDT. The community isn't dead, it's just that you could say that Project M was 'released' as it were, sort of like a regular Smash game, except that we as the community got to play test it for years in advance.

Just like how mods like Project M have continued interest in Brawl, mods like your Dark Samus or Bronze's Ganondorfs will continue to keep people interested in Project M.

Last edited:

Kamineigh

Smash Apprentice
Whenever he deems it ready for release, either as an open beta or as a fully-polished mod.

Yeller1999

Smash Journeyman
It's been a long time since I have been to anything ssb related and when I came back to look I see this. Just wonderful, can't wait for this to get done. So hyped.

Top Bottom