• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dark Samus Approaching: Extreme caution recommended.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
Beautiful, although I think the cyan veins are a bit conflicting...
That will take a bit more detail work to change, but it's doable. The red + jet black color scheme is just dope on DS. I like it more than Nanobuds' default blue+cyan combo but both are aesthetic.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
I agree 100%. This combination is A+++.

I hope work on DS is going smoothly. I'm sure you'll be able to amaze everyone with your work once it's done.
Thanks- I think it's going smoothly. Got some major coding help from KingJigglypuff and all the specials and standard move concepts are done. Now it's a matter of polishing and sound effects work, which will take some time since I'm the only one doing it. I'm working on recolors now as you can see as a break from coding.

Huge thanks to Nanobuds and BaganSmashBros. once again for providing excellent models- the refined Dark Samus and Phazon tendrils

Solaros

Smash Journeyman
No Metroid knowledge here, but that Dark Samus mod looks awesome! And forgive me if this has been answered before, but is this character "balanced"? As in, not overpowered?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Good-lookin' stuff you've got there. Never would have even thought that Peach uses normal projectiles for Toad's spores instead of just fake projectiles. And boost ball thing sounds like a better option.
Release when?
If its supposed to be not-Phazon suit, how about making it look even more like that thing? Like having black, grey and red parts of body instead of just black? I mean...would make sense considering that is what made Dark Samus...well, Dark SAMUS. Shouldn't be too difficult. But if its just black and red recolor, then im ok with that.
Speaking of recolors, what exactly will there be? Or its just default and this black one?

Last edited:

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
Good-lookin' stuff you've got there. Never would have even thought that Peach uses normal projectiles for Toad's spores instead of just fake projectiles. And boost ball thing sounds like a better option.
Release when?

If its supposed to be not-Phazon suit, how about making it look even more like that thing? Like having black, grey and red parts of body instead of just black? I mean...would make sense considering that is what made Dark Samus...well, Dark SAMUS. Shouldn't be too difficult. But if its just black and red recolor, then im ok with that.
Speaking of recolors, what exactly will there be? Or its just default and this black one?
I like what PrinceGal3n PrinceGal3n said: To make recolours based off of each Metroid Prime mode, considering Dark Samus' relation with the Metroid Prime, but I have faith in whatever Dark-Samus-Lives cooks up.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Well if we're going there, there's also transparent DS to consider, or recolor based on Metroid Prime's core essence form (which I prefer over exoskeleton anyway).

Shiruzato

Smash Cadet
If you're ever going to move on to Smash 4, I'd really prefer if you would at least release a beta of this first. There's too much here to leave behind.

drogoth232

Smash Lord
I know you said you need someone to clean up your animations, so I'm not gonna comment on it.

But the tendrils look nice.

I'd suggest making the tendrils come up and down slightly more asynchronously. What I mean is that some should come up faster than others, but they should all be at their highest at the same time. Same going down. Could help give it look more... natural? Don't want to say better because better is relative, but you know what I mean.

Again, good job.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
I know you said you need someone to clean up your animations, so I'm not gonna comment on it.

But the tendrils look nice.

I'd suggest making the tendrils come up and down slightly more asynchronously. What I mean is that some should come up faster than others, but they should all be at their highest at the same time. Same going down. Could help give it look more... natural? Don't want to say better because better is relative, but you know what I mean.

Again, good job.
Definitely agree about the tendril timing situation. All I need to do is spread out the frames they erupt by a bit but was going to do these final touches on my last run through of the PSA.

Yeah, I've done everything I could with the animations. No one has offered to help out in that department so they'll be released as is until then. But can you elaborate a bit more on what needs to be done to look better quality in your eyes? I just know that they need work but can't quite put my finger on the exact problem. Maybe the transition to idle could be smoother in both animations. Idle needs more natural fluidity for sure. But I must move onwards to other aspects if this is ever going to get done for Metroid's 30th anniversary.

Last edited:

Rpggames77

Smash Journeyman
Out of curiosity have you asked any of the bigger names for help like bagon,silent doom,etc?

drogoth232

Smash Lord
bigger names
My sides.

Yeah, I've done everything I could with the animations. No one has offered to help out in that department so they'll be released as is until then. But can you elaborate a bit more on what needs to be done to look better quality in your eyes? I just know that they need work but can't quite put my finger on the exact problem. Maybe the transition to idle could be smoother in both animations. Idle needs more natural fluidity for sure. But I must move onwards to other aspects if this is ever going to get done for Metroid's 30th anniversary.
The animation is a bit too fast for me to see, but from DS floating to standing could be much more smoother (as it currently looks like she teleports to the ground). The slam itself could probably use more frames to make it look slightly smoother or maybe you could just move some more bones around with the current number of frames. I can't really comment any more than that.

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
You might even want to make it so that Dark Samus only floats when running. I don't think that there are any Smash . that float for an idle animation, and Dark Samus has stood before.
Out of curiosity have you asked any of the bigger names for help like bagon,silent doom,etc?
I think Bagan usually rips his resources from a game, and then does the rest of his animating in Brawlbox; not an animating program. Though Ridley's moveset is really good, the only reason I don't use it is the walk/run jitters. I think Drogoth described it as "less smooth than Game & Watch".

Last edited:

Rpggames77

Smash Journeyman
I said bagan as a big name because he currently has a lot of projects, but now ill quit being an idiot

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
I said bagan as a big name because he currently has a lot of projects, but now ill quit being an idiot
Don't let us fool you, you aren't an idiot - he IS a big name! First man to make a good Ridley mod, and is able to dish out characters and update really quickly. He's just not a stellar animator.

Last edited:

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
Is that a dsmash or down B?
Down Smash with brief reflective properties at a set frame.

My sides.

The animation is a bit too fast for me to see, but from DS floating to standing could be much more smoother (as it currently looks like she teleports to the ground). The slam itself could probably use more frames to make it look slightly smoother or maybe you could just move some more bones around with the current number of frames. I can't really comment any more than that.
I shortened the animation to fit Project M better but I'll try to smooth it out later on. When you say floating to standing, do you mean the start of the animations?

Bagan provided the beautiful tendril model (I animated it, coded the placement, and made a STR0 animation). So he has contributed an invaluable asset for Dark Samus.

Last edited:

rchpweblo

Smash Rookie
Also I think I may have found a solution to your recording problem:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/181703660016?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

It's under 50 bucks and comes with RCA cables so it would not be a problem hooking it up to your TV! Also I actually haven't used this product at all so I'm not so sure about the quality, but it looks pretty good from the pictures I've seen. And this is just the first one I saw so you could always shop around some more for a better deal, but keep in mind that all of them will most likely come from China so don't expect ultra fast shipping rates, but don't expect ultra slow either, the Chinese usually get it over in a reasonable time, I import things quite frequently.

Wait! I just found a video captured with it:

https://youtu.be/wL8JMhbyIkk

I gotta say for $38 it looks quite good.

I also found a tutorial right here:

https://youtu.be/Iz6V7x7MI7U

I'm not sure if you have Sony Vegas or not, but if not I'm sure you could manage to "find" a copy, if you know what I mean :chuckle:

And of course you'll need to get the other programs in the videos description.

Oh yea, and don't get virtualdub from his description, get it from its actual website, so you have the most up to date version.
Link here:

http://www.virtualdub.org

Last edited:

Phazon Remnant

Smash Rookie
Dark Samus has been and remains my most wanted character in Smash, and the work that's been done on this project is amazing. I lack the skills needed in such an endeavor, so it's awesome to see those with the required talents accomplish what I cannot.

I truly appreciate all efforts made by Dark-Samus-Lives and everyone else involved, and I look forward to future updates!

Top Bottom