• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dark Samus Approaching: Extreme caution recommended.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Any Dark Samus fans have strong opinions on what her Forward, Up, and Back Airs should be? Neutral and Down Air are both finalized but f-u-b aerials are placeholders. Here is what they are currently.

Neutral Air-

Down Air (0-80%)- (80-999%)-

Forward Air-

Up Air-

Back Air-
I know it sounds weird, but something similar to Mii Gunner's Up Air would look amazing with Phazon shots, of course.
Considering Dark Samus AT has that multishot attack in Smash 4, Mii Gunner's Up Air would fit pretty great, imo.
(in 1:52)

For Fair maybe she points the cannon, and does a single shot, a fast attack, the shot is weak and deals extra damage if the opponent is just "in" the cannon as it shots. i don't know what to suggest for Bair other than some downwards kick.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
I know it sounds weird, but something similar to Mii Gunner's Up Air would look amazing with Phazon shots, of course.
Considering Dark Samus AT has that multishot attack in Smash 4, Mii Gunner's Up Air would fit pretty great, imo.
(in 1:52)

For Fair maybe she points the cannon, and does a single shot, a fast attack, the shot is weak and deals extra damage if the opponent is just "in" the cannon as it shots. i don't know what to suggest for Bair other than some downwards kick.
Definitely considered that move but I can't think of any graphic effects to replicate the Mii Gunner's projectiles besides what's already being used for Dark Samus' Side B (Phazon Scattershot)... and I don't want to use that on an aerial.

Right now, her Uair is DS "tossing" up a ball of light/phazon energy. It's something similar to what she does in the Corruption fight when she and her Echo clones start floating high up in the air and start shooting energy spheres at poor Samus.

I'm thinking something similar for the F-air.

B-air is Dark Samus swinging behind her with the arm cannon. Trying to make the animation look more menacing and forceful.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Definitely considered that move but I can't think of any graphic effects to replicate the Mii Gunner's projectiles besides what's already being used for Dark Samus' Side B (Phazon Scattershot)... and I don't want to use that on an aerial.

Right now, her Uair is DS "tossing" up a ball of light/phazon energy. It's something similar to what she does in the Corruption fight when she and her Echo clones start floating high up in the air and start shooting energy spheres at poor Samus.

I'm thinking something similar for the F-air.

B-air is Dark Samus swinging behind her with the arm cannon. Trying to make the animation look more menacing and forceful.
Hope you come to a conclusion about the uair, i think it really suits the more aggressive nature of Dark Samus and just looks so cool, maybe you could edit the Scattershot effect for the uair (making the particle brighter, or a bit bigger, just giving examples).
Good to know about fair, and bair sounds great too.

Taytertot

Smash Ace
not sure if this has been pointed out yet but i notice that in your original description of moveset you say that the charged nB move (beam) would do heavy shield damage and i feel that a move that travels across the entire stage (at a quick speed i imagine) that does heavy shield damage might be a bit overpowered as a concept but im not sure exactly how you imagined the move working so maybe its not as bad as i think itd be.

otherwise this is cool im glad youre making dark samus what youve got is awesome.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
not sure if this has been pointed out yet but i notice that in your original description of moveset you say that the charged nB move (beam) would do heavy shield damage and i feel that a move that travels across the entire stage (at a quick speed i imagine) that does heavy shield damage might be a bit overpowered as a concept but im not sure exactly how you imagined the move working so maybe its not as bad as i think itd be.

otherwise this is cool im glad youre making dark samus what youve got is awesome.
You're 100% right, that would be very overpowered. It's very telegraphed as of now and there will be a lot of ending lag to try to try to balance it.

In other news, where are my pleasant porting people at?

Last edited:

drogoth232

Smash Lord
You're 100% right, that would be very overpowered. It's very telegraphed as of now and there will be a lot of ending lag to try to try to balance it.

In other news, where are my pleasant porting people at?
Murdering myself with finals <:v

Weiss

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5000-5576-8555
Body is fine. Have her head more focused forward. She looks like she's looking down shy like. We need her focused at her foe, chin up and such.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
I would have her stand on her feet during her wait. Looks kinda awkward if she's just floating there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g02j8SD-0hw

Body is fine. Have her head more focused forward. She looks like she's looking down shy like. We need her focused at her foe, chin up and such.
My thoughts was have the head move like that to look more crazy/maniacal. But I'll take it into consideration, a very easy fix.

BTW progress is slow, everyone is busy with life and projects so no estimated release as of now.

Last edited:

Weiss

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5000-5576-8555
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g02j8SD-0hw

My thoughts was have the head move like that to look more crazy/maniacal. But I'll take it into consideration, a very easy fix.

BTW progress is slow, everyone is busy with life and projects so no estimated release as of now.
Oh I knew what you were after, you got it. Her sporadic movements are what makes her that way. Head bobbing could be taken down a small bit, and then a focus, and boom. Perfect.
Mind you these are small changes. You are doing good and I'm just offering a opinion. :-)

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
Oh I knew what you were after, you got it. Her sporadic movements are what makes her that way. Head bobbing could be taken down a small bit, and then a focus, and boom. Perfect.
Mind you these are small changes. You are doing good and I'm just offering a opinion. :-)
No it's great to get another set of eyes on an animation to make it better. Appreciate your input!

Xenozoa425

Smash Ace
NNID
tehross425
3DS FC
3754-7153-5146
Like I said, it looks weird if she's just standing there. If you're gonna use it, it should be the slowest walking animation. The Dark Samus AT in Smash 4 doesn't really float when she stands, but then again the AT doesn't do much else to begin with.

Mewtwo does the same thing pretty much, he floats when he moves, but for his idle and attacks he stands on his feet.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
Like I said, it looks weird if she's just standing there. If you're gonna use it, it should be the slowest walking animation. The Dark Samus AT in Smash 4 doesn't really float when she stands, but then again the AT doesn't do much else to begin with.

Mewtwo does the same thing pretty much, he floats when he moves, but for his idle and attacks he stands on his feet.
You mean floating? And the DS actually does a couple of things that I tried to replicate. She has jump, up smash, down smash, special, taunt, wait stance, and run animations.

And I've read a lot of Dark Samus movesets made up by people throughout the years and many suggested she would be floating for the wait stance. Look at this guys recommendation for example:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/...zZMFfKQ3WG9HA/edit?pli=1&overridemobile=true#

The thing is, I started this almost a year ago last summer. And every move transitions into this wait animation. I don't see myself going thru every animation again to change it up.

But she would look cool standing in this pose, 1:00 mark

I actually have an animation like this ready to go. Maybe I'll switch up a couple of animation transitions and see if it's worth it.

Last edited:

Yeller1999

Smash Journeyman
I like how work is being done on this project still can't wait for it to be done. Keep up the good work. Also if I remember correctly it was said this would go over Lucario? Why Lucario he is one of my mains.

HypnotizeOverdrive

Smash Ace
NNID
HypnoOverdrive
Also if I remember correctly it was said this would go over Lucario? Why Lucario he is one of my mains.
Then don't download DS.

I wish people would stop complaining about modders creating certain characters to replace other characters on the roster. It is up to no one but the modder, and the best way to avoid having your "feelings hurt" is to not download the character.

Yeller1999

Smash Journeyman
Then don't download DS.

I wish people would stop complaining about modders creating certain characters to replace other characters on the roster. It is up to no one but the modder, and the best way to avoid having your "feelings hurt" is to not download the character.
Yes I know this. But I was just wondering was just asking. I wasn't complaining cause I don't mind to much replacing Lucario but I would prefer not to. And one last question was this a .rel port over Lucario? Just asking I don't mean to annoy anyone or upset anyone.

Last edited:

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
Yes I know this. But I was just wondering was just asking. I wasn't complaining cause I don't mind to much replacing Lucario but I would prefer not to. And one last question was this a .rel port over Lucario? Just asking I don't mean to annoy anyone or upset anyone.
Don't worry about upsetting anyone, all you did was ask a question. If anything, I feel bad about how long this is taking to come out but I don't want to put a mediocre hack out there when there is the potential for this to be excellent.

Porting hasn't even started yet because no one has given me any advice so it's not a definite that Dark Samus is going over Lucario.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
It's over Lucario because you can use his Aura articles and change it around a little bit to get phazon articles.

Right?
That's about it. What exactly Phazon articles are... nobody knows.

Good luck man.
Yeah that animation may work. It's easier no?
Not exactly easier since many animation were made based on the original Wait I posted. But I'm just doing what I think is right from this point, would take way too much time to redo everything.

Last edited:

The_ias_HO

Smash Rookie
Hey, I absolutely love what you are doing, great work! Only one question, who does it replace? Marth, Lucario or who? Can it be ZSS since that would keep the rooster balance?

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
To my understanding it's just not high priority at the moment for DSL; he's just waiting for additional input.

WEK-Sector Pirate

Smash Apprentice
No!!!! please! I wanted this just as much as I wanted Ridley! If this is what you want, then fine,but just know that alot of people were waiting for this.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
This is a shame. I hate seeing great work come to an end. I hope you dont delete all your work. Ive heard people doing that and it blows my mind. It would be nice to have someone pick up where you left off! I hope you consider sharing what you have done so far.

Shiruzato

Smash Cadet
This is a shame. I hate seeing great work come to an end. I hope you dont delete all your work. Ive heard people doing that and it blows my mind. It would be nice to have someone pick up where you left off! I hope you consider sharing what you have done so far.

I second this. Please, PLEASE share you what you have so far! This was going to amazingly!

Top Bottom