• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dark Samus Approaching: Extreme caution recommended.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
I should have cut the Dark Samus death gif right before she vaporized to make it vague on whether she died or not.

But the project is not dead, just on an extended hiatus until someone steps up and starts helping me port her over someone else. Or if someone could post tutorials and guides so I could tackle it myself I could start the process.

Also, there has been some slow progress but nothing is going to materialize without some outside help. I would very much like to finish Dark Samus.

I'll be posting a video of her soon so people can see what's been completed so far.

Last edited:

HypnotizeOverdrive

Smash Ace
NNID
HypnoOverdrive
As always people overreact and think the worst instead of being patient and hoping for the best. I eagerly await the progress of this mod, DSL.

HypnotizeOverdrive

Smash Ace
NNID
HypnoOverdrive
Thanks for always being a voice of reason!
It's unfortunate that people tend to misunderstand some things. I'm likely one of the only ones who knew your post wasn't a "this project is dead" post; it's a matter of understand that you have not only a life, but are also waiting for some assistance to get the mod done. It's also a matter of patience.

Draco_The

Smash Lord
You can't fault people for thinking that a .gif of Dark Samus dying meant that the project was dead.

HypnotizeOverdrive

Smash Ace
NNID
HypnoOverdrive
You can't fault people for thinking that a .gif of Dark Samus dying meant that the project was dead.
Your logic is flawed. That'd mean a gif of any occurrence means that said occurrence or something related is gonna happen in reality, and obviously that's false.

I can fault everyone for jumping to conclusions simply because the conclusion everyone came to isn't so. Learn patience, the mod will be done when it is done. I can imagine DSL was just having fun putting the gif in the thread, it wasn't a confirmation of anything if they themselves said nothing to confirm anything.

Just my two cents, take it whichever way you choose.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
Your logic is flawed. That'd mean a gif of any occurrence means that said occurrence or something related is gonna happen in reality, and obviously that's false.

I can fault everyone for jumping to conclusions simply because the conclusion everyone came to isn't so. Learn patience, the mod will be done when it is done. I can imagine DSL was just having fun putting the gif in the thread, it wasn't a confirmation of anything if they themselves said nothing to confirm anything.

This definitely strikes me as wrong. I think we can extrapolate a little meaning from someone's posts given a context, even if it's not foolproof. Post that Dark Samus .gif in a Nintendo forum, they'll think you're trying to discuss the game it came from. Post it here after a longish period of inactivity, and it's going to make people think not of the fact that Dark Samus is there (since the thread is already devoted to that) but what's happening: its/her/whatever's end (of life).

Anyway, @ Dark-Samus-Lives Dark-Samus-Lives , why don't you talk with Bagan? He wanted to take this over if you weren't continuing.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
This definitely strikes me as wrong. I think we can extrapolate a little meaning from someone's posts given a context, even if it's not foolproof. Post that Dark Samus .gif in a Nintendo forum, they'll think you're trying to discuss the game it came from. Post it here after a longish period of inactivity, and it's going to make people think not of the fact that Dark Samus is there (since the thread is already devoted to that) but what's happening: its/her/whatever's end (of life).

Anyway, @ Dark-Samus-Lives Dark-Samus-Lives , why don't you talk with Bagan? He wanted to take this over if you weren't continuing.
How and why would he take over if we haven't even discussed collaborating on her? He has been very helpful by making the Corruption and Smash 4 Dark Samus models playable but we have not discussed coding for moveset at all. I'm all for collaborating- I've put way too much time into this to just give it up.

What mainly needs to be completed in order for Dark Samus to make major moves towards completion in order of priority:

1.) Port from Marth over another character (Lucario is most likely).

2.) Design and code specials once she is ported (specials are notoriously tricky to code compared to normal moves like jabs and tilts)

3.) Make recolors for the Corruption and Echoes Models.

4.) Improve how the existing models look. (I summon Project M's Nanobuds :chuckle:)

5.) Make a Final Smash (this is a long ways off.)

Official agenda.

Also, I would like to incorporate Echo "clones" in the moveset in some way like this Naruto hack but I'm not sure if this is feasible.

So as you can see, a lot is left to be done. I'm working on animations and graphical effects for the time being.

Last edited:

drogoth232

Smash Lord
1. I told you how to do it lol. Not too difficult once you actually do it
2. Shouldn't be too difficult. You can use some of the same coding too.
3. Not my area
4. See above. I could definitely optimize the smash4 model, but I hate rigging over samus. So you'd have to ask someone to do that.
5. Impossible unless you rig multiple DS models and have multiple skeletons. If you do this after you port, you'll have to redo some of the porting process.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
1. I told you how to do it lol. Not too difficult once you actually do it
2. Shouldn't be too difficult. You can use some of the same coding too.
3. Not my area
4. See above. I could definitely optimize the smash4 model, but I hate rigging over samus. So you'd have to ask someone to do that.
5. Impossible unless you rig multiple DS models and have multiple skeletons. If you do this after you port, you'll have to redo some of the porting process.
You have also been extremely helpful and yeah I do remember you PM'ing me about porting. The thing is, this is the point in the project where outside help is needed for Dark Samus to move forward. I don't have as much time as I did early on and quite frankly I just don't feel like doing it all myself.

Could you give a rough estimate of how long it would take to port from Marth to Lucario though? Also I was thinking Lucas might be a good bet since he also has a bunch of projectiles and it would save Mewtwo for a lot of people.

This brings up the discussion of what character would be ideal to port to. People gotta realize that each character has different file size limits and taking Dark Samus over Marth (Marth's moveset/pac file has a limit around 500 kb) and putting it over someone else could mean a serious downgrade in terms of graphics... Which is what I spent a huge chunk of time on!!!

So hopefully this sheds light onto why the process is taking me forever, coupled with the fact that like someone just said, I don't have as much time as I used to put into the project.

drogoth232

Smash Lord
Porting in general should take about 30 minutes which may or may not include debugging. Really easy when you've gotten the hang of it, slightly difficult when you don't know how.

If you're porting over Lucario, you'll have more space for sure. You won't have to worry about it.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
CREDIT IS GIVEN WHERE CREDIT IS DUE.
COME AROUND AGAIN AND YOU'LL GET IT TOO.

Let me take this opportunity to recognize the contributors to Dark Samus thus far:

DarkSamusLives- Project Creator, Hitboxes, Animations and Graphics

Drogoth232- Coding and porting advice, contributed tentacle model for Down Smash attack.

Carnage- Coded Side Special Ground and Air versions, fixed unspeakable game breaking glitch

BaganSmashBros- Made Corruption and Smash 4 Dark Samus models usable.

Cahalan- Created various icons and Dark Samus name to be used Selection and Battle Screens

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Dark Samus' Final Smash could be that attack in Echoes where she levitates and fires a Phazon laser at Samus thrice.

Or that attack she knocked Samus and the other hunters out with on Bryyo during Corruption, whatever it was.

Or summoning the Aurora Unit.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Guys, long developments for mods is nothing too special; I mean, Waluigi's taken the whole of Brawl's lifespan to get to where he is right now. Dark Samus by comparison is extremely young; I'd expect a long time for completion if DSL wants to make this mod as polished as he/she/they can.

But to be fair, the reason Waluigi took so long was MK64DS getting a job. This is more just needing a team to get past roadblocks. :p

Weiss

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5000-5576-8555

No offense to @ Dark-Samus-Lives Dark-Samus-Lives , but given the fact that it was a gif of Dark Samus' death, specifically after a long period of inactivity, with no context whatsoever in the post and afterward, only furthered with more inactivity, gee I dunno, kinda seems like the type of thing someone would do when ending a project. Its not like this took place over the course of a mere week either. Sorry, but I'll have to disagree with you, as this logic is flawed, and you don't seem to know human nature well.

Though this strikes me as funny, as in MP3 Space Pirates who followed Dark Samus were met with her leaving after a long period of time (as she sought after Phaaze), and all the ones who doubted her return were met with execution. This incident reminded me as such.

Good luck with your project, and glad to have you back. Inform us of your exploits and progress when you can. Thank you, forgive us for what we thought happened.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
Guys, long developments for mods is nothing too special; I mean, Waluigi's taken the whole of Brawl's lifespan to get to where he is right now. Dark Samus by comparison is extremely young; I'd expect a long time for completion if DSL wants to make this mod as polished as he/she/they can.

But to be fair, the reason Waluigi took so long was MK64DS getting a job. This is more just needing a team to get past roadblocks. :p
I'm a guy with a fulltime job too! And I was in graduate school full time before that. So the combo of being busy and being the only person actively working on Dark Samus makes things difficult.

No offense to @ Dark-Samus-Lives Dark-Samus-Lives , but given the fact that it was a gif of Dark Samus' death, specifically after a long period of inactivity, with no context whatsoever in the post and afterward, only furthered with more inactivity, gee I dunno, kinda seems like the type of thing someone would do when ending a project. Its not like this took place over the course of a mere week either. Sorry, but I'll have to disagree with you, as this logic is flawed, and you don't seem to know human nature well.

Though this strikes me as funny, as in MP3 Space Pirates who followed Dark Samus were met with her leaving after a long period of time (as she sought after Phaaze), and all the ones who doubted her return were met with execution. This incident reminded me as such.

Good luck with your project, and glad to have you back. Inform us of your exploits and progress when you can. Thank you, forgive us for what we thought happened.
"Our struggles have ended. She has shown us the error of our ways. The way is now clear. All previous vows of fealty have been forsworn: we now pledge sole allegiance to our liberator, the great one, Dark Samus. We bear a singular honor, we lucky few, for we are her first disciples. Our burden is a happy one, for we will pave the way to her glorious victory and cosmic rule. Let the light of Phazon lead us!" —Metroid Prime 3: Corruption Logbook "First Disciples" (Metroid Prime 3 : Corruption)

Last edited:

Cahalan

Smash Ace
Might as well call that Down Throw a Curb Stomp, GOOD LORD. O_O

Also I'm able to get that PM Glow effect recreated pretty well now, so if need be just post the CSP (or full render when possible for quality OCD reasons).
dark samus.png

Last edited:

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
Might as well call that Down Throw a Curb Stomp, GOOD LORD. O_O

Also I'm able to get that PM Glow effect recreated pretty well now, so if need be just post the CSP (or full render when possible for quality OCD reasons).
View attachment 68435
I just looked up what a curb stomp is.. OUCH.

And awesome, the project could definitely use your portrait creation skills.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
Just to show that I've been working on Dark Samus (albeit slowly), here is a comparison shot of the Side B Phazon Scattershot Animation from early on to the current version

Before:

After:

SSB4:

I realize it's not exactly the same pose, but I can change up the position of Dark Samus' free arm easily.

Last edited:

TheTreasonousSnowmad

Smash Journeyman
I've got an idea for the Final Smash.

Dark Samus could float to the center of the stage and assume this pose.

Then, the Metroid Prime would appear from her and create a tall fire shockwave like it does in Metroid Prime. The shockwave would of course appear below the Metroid Prime and travel from there outward along the ground on both sides. For anyone caught in this, it would work like Mario's final smash and cause damage while also pushing the opponent along with it, then knocking them back at the end. As an added bonus, the Metroid Prime could create a pool of Phazon below it, before disappearing as another ability from the game. This pool would heal Dark Samus when she returns to combat. Of course, it would only be about 10% or so, and even then an ability that has the potential of KO'ing multiple opponents as well as healing the user would be a bit overpowred, so removing it from the attack may be ideal.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
I've got an idea for the Final Smash.

Dark Samus could float to the center of the stage and assume this pose.

Then, the Metroid Prime would appear from her and create a tall fire shockwave like it does in Metroid Prime. The shockwave would of course appear below the Metroid Prime and travel from there outward along the ground on both sides. For anyone caught in this, it would work like Mario's final smash and cause damage while also pushing the opponent along with it, then knocking them back at the end. As an added bonus, the Metroid Prime could create a pool of Phazon below it, before disappearing as another ability from the game. This pool would heal Dark Samus when she returns to combat. Of course, it would only be about 10% or so, and even then an ability that has the potential of KO'ing multiple opponents as well as healing the user would be a bit overpowred, so removing it from the attack may be ideal.
While ideas like this are cool, it's not really that easy to import METROID FREAKING PRIME into Brawl and animate it fluidly on top of that. :crazy:

But if there is a way, I would very much consider it!

TheTreasonousSnowmad

Smash Journeyman
While ideas like this are cool, it's not really that easy to import METROID FREAKING PRIME into Brawl and animate it fluidly on top of that. :crazy:

But if there is a way, I would very much consider it!
Yeah, I get that. I liked your Leviathan idea too. Though that may be just as hard to do. Either way, this is looking great so far and I'll definetly be adding Dark Samus no matter what character she's omits.

Come to think of it, Metroid Prime's model is already in the game as a trophy, though that's miles away from incorporating it into the final smash.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I get that. I liked your Leviathan idea too. Though that may be just as hard to do. Either way, this is looking great so far and I'll definetly be adding Dark Samus no matter what character she's omits.

Come to think of it, Metroid Prime's model is already in the game as a trophy, though that's miles away from incorporating it into the final smash.
Oh that's true. But I have no experience with model importing but since it's in the game already it's that much more of a possibility.

As far as development goes, the final smash will be one of the last things I work on so it's still a ways off.

From the way it's looking, Dark Samus may be going over Pit... which I realize will conflict with Bagan's Ridley. But there may be a way to get them both in the game still...

Since it's going over Pit, the Final Smash could have Dark Samus summon Phazon Metroid's instead of those soldiers... just brainstorming.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Oh that's true. But I have no experience with model importing but since it's in the game already it's that much more of a possibility.

As far as development goes, the final smash will be one of the last things I work on so it's still a ways off.

From the way it's looking, Dark Samus may be going over Pit... which I realize will conflict with Bagan's Ridley. But there may be a way to get them both in the game still...

Since it's going over Pit, the Final Smash could have Dark Samus summon Phazon Metroid's instead of those soldiers... just brainstorming.
Its pre-posed, so, it might as well not be here. Importing model from Metroid Prime with bones intact would be better and its possible, but whad'ya gonna do.

Yeah, it would be better to be able to keep them both rather than having to choose only one of them. But i know someone who can fix this - PyotrLuzhin. He made few perfect ports for my Ridley, so, maybe he can do same for DS. Characters like Zelda, Charizard and Samus can't be replaced though.
Looks promising. I would suggest Down Throw to be made more...don't know. Make her torso bend down more rather than just looking down. And maybe, to make it more flashy, have a phazon tentacle/pillar/spike come out and impale opponent after the stomp. Just a suggestion.

Last edited:

ConDeeCas

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ConDeeCas
Have you guys (or gals, I dunno) spoken with the Waluigi team? Apparently they were able to give Waluigi a standalone character slot.

Cahalan

Smash Ace
Have you guys (or gals, I dunno) spoken with the Waluigi team? Apparently they were able to give Waluigi a standalone character slot.
Wait WHAT!?!?! Was this the work of a PM-Back-Roomer on the team or my good friend @PyotrLuzhin ? I hope this means that Waluigi will be in PM officially (among other notable PSA's that deserve a slot but I digress)

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
Wait WHAT!?!?! Was this the work of a PM-Back-Roomer on the team or my good friend @PyotrLuzhin ? I hope this means that Waluigi will be in PM officially (among other notable PSA's that deserve a slot but I digress)
It has been possible for quite a while (I think) due to ds22's stream on how to add clones, but it takes a lot of time and patience. Even so, I'd bet that they were actually referring to a BrawlEX slot, because no one that I've seen has actually bothered to do it ds22's way...

Cahalan

Smash Ace
Oh, now that I look at it, it was just a Brawl Ex slot showcase. I was referring to PM's clone engine, but cool none-the-less.
It has been possible for quite a while (I think) due to ds22's stream on how to add clones, but it takes a lot of time and patience. Even so, I'd bet that they were actually referring to a BrawlEX slot, because no one that I've seen has actually bothered to do it ds22's way...
Is there a link to ds22's tutorial by any chance? I'd like to pick up the mantle of being able to use the PM clone engine to an extent to add people when @PyotrLuzhin has to move on eventually.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
Oh, now that I look at it, it was just a Brawl Ex slot showcase. I was referring to PM's clone engine, but cool none-the-less.

Is there a link to ds22's tutorial by any chance? I'd like to pick up the mantle of being able to use the PM clone engine to an extent to add people when @PyotrLuzhin has to move on eventually.
I'll check for you if I can remember where I saw it. I'll edit this post when I'm done.

EDIT: I can't find it, unfortunately. :/ I meant to say that it was by Dantarion though, so if you'll find it anywhere, it'll be by him (though it's not on his channel).

Last edited:

ConDeeCas

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ConDeeCas
If you look at MK64DS's newer videos Waluigi has his own slot in PM too.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
Its pre-posed, so, it might as well not be here. Importing model from Metroid Prime with bones intact would be better and its possible, but whad'ya gonna do.

Yeah, it would be better to be able to keep them both rather than having to choose only one of them. But i know someone who can fix this - PyotrLuzhin. He made few perfect ports for my Ridley, so, maybe he can do same for DS. Characters like Zelda, Charizard and Samus can't be replaced though.

Looks promising. I would suggest Down Throw to be made more...don't know. Make her torso bend down more rather than just looking down. And maybe, to make it more flashy, have a phazon tentacle/pillar/spike come out and impale opponent after the stomp. Just a suggestion.
Thanks for the suggestion. I was just working on the animation so I'll keep the torso movement in mind.

And it's ironic you mention make it flashier... I am actually making the decision to tone down some of the graphical effects - they are getting distracting. Plus, Up throw, forward throw and back throw (and the pummels) are filled with particle effects so I want at least the focus of down throw to just be the curb stomp.

Top Bottom