• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Danganronpa Protagonists Bring Hope! Makoto, Hajime, Kaede and Friends for Smash Thread

Who is your favourite protagonist?

• Makoto

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Hajime

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Komaru

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Kaede

Votes: 15 46.9%

• Total voters

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Here's a thing I did for a hypothetical Danganronpa Spirit Event
View attachment 319779Makoto & Kyoko (Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc)
Class: ★★★
Type: Support (Shield)
Cost: ⬡
Effect: Critical-Health Healing ↑
  • Puppet Fighter: :ulttoonlink: (Color 8) and :ultfox: (Color 8)
  • Stage: Arena Ferox
  • Music Track: Sector 1
  • Match: Stock (1)
  • Conditions:
    • Defeat the main fighter to win
View attachment 319776Hajime & Chiaki (Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair)
Class: ★
Type: Primary (Shield)
Slots: ⬡⬡
Effect: N/A
  • Puppet Fighter: :ultmarth: (Color 5) and :ultpacman:(Color 4)
    • Reinforcement: :ultrichter: (Color 8)
  • Stage: Tortimer Island
  • Music Track: Galaga Medley
  • Item: Boss Galaga
  • Conditions:
    • Items will appear in large numbers after a while
    • Reinforcements appear after the enemy is defeated
View attachment 319778Kaede & Shuichi (Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony)
Class: ★★
Type: Support (Neutral)
Cost: ⬡
Effect: Trade-Off Ability ↑
  • Puppet Fighter: :ultpeach:(default)
    • Reinforcement: :ultmarth: (Color 4)
  • Stage: Paper Mario (Battlefield)
  • Music Track: Dance of Gold
  • Conditions:
    • Reinforcements appear after the enemy is defeated
View attachment 319780Monukuma (Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc)
Class: ★★★
Type: Primary (Attack)
Effect: Enhanceable at Lv. 99
  • Puppet Fighter: :ultyounglink: (Color 8)
  • Stage: Arena Ferox Ω
  • Music Track: Edge of Adversity
  • Conditions:
    • You constantly take minor damage
    • You suddenly take 100% damage after a while
    • The enemy starts the battle with Death's Scythe
View attachment 319777
Junko Enoshima (Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc)
Class: ★★★★
Type: Primary
Effect: Death's Scythe Equipped

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Something tells me that the DR2 pair would be Hajime and Nagito instead, though.
Speaking of Nagito his artwork is literally a parallel of Hajime's, a reflection of his role in the game, although I think Perk choose Chiaki to be more align with the rest of the spirit.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Here's a thing I did for a hypothetical Danganronpa Spirit Event
I really like these! Representing pairs of characters is a great way of doing it, as well as a good way of hiding a certain plot twist in plain sight.

I wouldn't be surprised if Danganronpa gets a spirit event at all at this point, with an upcoming game in the pipeline and Spike Chunsoft obviously having personal connections with Nintendo through the Mystery Dungeon series... heck, Ultimate Summer Camp is basically a Mystery Dungeon game.

Fun spirit event, I like it. Something tells me that the DR2 pair would be Hajime and Nagito instead, though.
They're pretty inconsistent with who the pair for Hajime is. Chiaki got to be on the cover of the Anniversary book with him, yet Nagito is the one with Kyoko and Shuichi on the poster that comes with Decadence... I could really see either being chosen here. I think Chiaki is slightly more common in crossover games, but that's probably because most Danganronpa collab are gacha games where women are going sell better.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Would like to see some more Shuichi and Kaede Interactions, though it's either me spit balling or just wishing to more of these two.

amageish

Smash Master
Would like to see some more Shuichi and Kaede Interactions, though it's either me spit balling or just wishing to more of these two.
There's no way we aren't getting more Shuichi/Kaede shipteasing in this game. It'll also likely continue UTDP's Shuichi/Kaito/Maki/Kaede friend group, where Maki is still hiding her real talent from everyone but Kaito.

amageish

Smash Master
So, the Danganronpa Decadence Collector's Edition went up for preorder today, at least in my country of Canada.

Weirdly, the Collector's Edition is $125 and the normal edition is $75 (MRSP for an average game here is $80; normal discount games are $65). This means you pay an extra $50 to get a poster, some fancy prints, and a CD?

Because of this, I am finding the normal edition is selling out faster then the fancy edition. Which... seems like the opposite of what one expects to happen.

amageish

Smash Master
I haven't had a chance to watch this, but BrawlFan1 made a moveset for Makoto.

Interesting set-up. Influence and Concentration being included as fighter gimmicks is really clever. I don't love using the Hacking Gun as the primary weapon - I think Smash has enough characters that can just make things appear whenever they want that it isn't necessary for Makoto to borrow his sister's weapon for the aesthetics - but I like the vibes and use of the minigames overall. I also hadn't considered the floating trial bench to be the up-special; that is a very good up-special and up-specials have always been the hardest thing for me when thinking for Danganronpa characters...

Having a full alt set would be kind of crazy, but fun! I also like Brawlfan's comment of Nagito being Hajime's "'friend,' quote-unquote" lol.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
danganronpa spirits (2).jpg
danganronpa spirits (3).jpg
danganronpa spirits (4).jpg

Using the power of mods, I've created my own Danganronpa DLC Spirit board! All the spirits seen here have custom Spirit battles to boot.

(danganronpa spoilers under the cut but if you're on this thread i assume you don't care about that)

amageish

Smash Master

Using the power of mods, I've created my own Danganronpa DLC Spirit board! All the spirits seen here have custom Spirit battles to boot.

(danganronpa spoilers under the cut but if you're on this thread i assume you don't care about that)
Wow, very impressive! I like the variety of character choices; it's a good blend of characters with plot-relevance and screentime. I also like Chisa being there; I don't love the anime, but it's nice to see it included in things.

What are the battles for these like?

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Wow, very impressive! I like the variety of character choices; it's a good blend of characters with plot-relevance and screentime. I also like Chisa being there; I don't love the anime, but it's nice to see it included in things.

What are the battles for these like?
I included Chisa purely because of bias reasons; I just like her a lot.

As for the battles:

Makoto: Fight against Toon Link, no real gimmicks (referencing how Makoto is a normal guy who just happened to get lucky with getting into Hope's Peak)

Kyoko: Fight against Purple Inkling with a Staff equipped (Getting sniped with a Staff just reminds me of Truth Bullets and we all know Kyoko wouldn't miss with those)

Celestia: Fight against Bayonetta with a fire floor and Kapp'n assist trophy spawning randomly (referencing her execution)

Monokuma: Fight against a team of black and white Banjo-Kazooies (self-explanatory)

Junko: Fight against Peach with a never-ending army of black and white Banjo-Kazooies, only have to kill Peach to win (self-explanatory)

Mukuro: Fight against Snake who has damage from all his weapons (rocket launcher, nikita, grenade, etc) increased (Ultimate Soldier, baby)

Hajime: Fight against School Uniform Joker, no real gimmicks like Makoto fight (referencing how Hajime has no talent)

Nagito: Fight against Default Male Corrin (white hair reminds me of Nagito), Nagito will get healed, take sudden damage and grow a flower on his head, and then become invincible one after the other (referencing his insane good luck/bad luck cycle)

Monomi: Fight against Kirby with a Bunny Hood as you have a level 9 white Banjo on your team (joke fight, Monomi has no stats and runs away so it's really just watching "Monokuma" chase her down then kill her)

Chisa: Fight against Blue Dress Daisy with increased attack power (chisa's ****ing ripped dude)

Mikan: Fight against Zelda who trips a lot and tries to run away from the fight (self-explanatory)

Chiaki: Fight against Purple Inkling and Bunny Hood Kirby (Chiaki and Monomi tag team)

Kaede: Fight against Zelda with a time limit (referencing the time limit from the first chapter of V3)

Shuichi: Same as Kyoko fight, just with Marth instead

Maki: Fight against Bayonetta who starts with a Killing Edge and has increased shooting and slashing power (Maki's the Ultimate Assassin, she'll kill you)

Rantaro: Fight against Green Male Corrin, with a Mii Brawler ally who spams Shot Put Throw (self-explanatory)

Kiibo: Fight against White Samus who starts with a Rocket Belt and spams projectiles (referencing Kiibo's involvement in the final execution of V3)

Monokubs: Fight against 5 Banjos whose skins match the colors of the Monokubs (self-explanatory)

Komaru: Fight against White Dress Daisy who starts with a Ray Gun and has increased shooting power (hacking gun)

Touko: Fight against Default Female Robin who runs away the entire fight (Touko's not a fighter)

Also, the Touko spirit can enhance into a spirit of Genocider Syo, who also has her own Spirit battle: It's a fight against Default Female Robin, except now she starts the fight invincible, has increased attack power on her sword attacks, and has increased move speed

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Has it been confirmed if the anime characters will be playable in Danganronpa S? If so, we might have another potential loophole to the "games only" rule.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord

This is actually pretty sick AND authentic looking! but I gotta ask... who is the fighter in this scenario lol, cuz all the candidates are spirits here

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
This is actually pretty sick AND authentic looking! but I gotta ask... who is the fighter in this scenario lol, cuz all the candidates are spirits here
The fighter is Peko. That's right, another anime sword fighter.

amageish

Smash Master
Has it been confirmed if the anime characters will be playable in Danganronpa S? If so, we might have another potential loophole to the "games only" rule.
They don't appear to be playable, no. We'll see if they appear in some capacity like they did in the original UTDP, though they were just sprite cameos then...

The fighter is Peko. That's right, another anime sword fighter.
Oh goodness. That'd be one way to end the pass on a real ULTIMATE note lol.

amageish

Smash Master

Danganronpa Decadence is confirmed for December 3rd in the west, launching a month earlier in November in Japan. Not the worst release date gap!

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
surprised this thread hasn't mentioned that Danganronpa S is going to be exclusive to Switch. It's also probably worth mentioning that Spike Chunsoft has made all the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games, so they have a decent connection to Nintendo as well

Also I found an old Sakurai interview where he detailed the selection process behind fighters and though about seeing if DR fit the bill

"We conduct a character popularity poll both domestically and internationally" Monokuma placed in the top 40 most wanted Smash characters in a poll conducted by Source Gaming about a year ago, I imagine the requests have only gone up since then, especially since a lot of characters that placed ahead of him have either been deconfirmed or just lost consistent support
  • "We also research games that are currently being developed." Danganronpa S would've been getting developed in 2020
  • "After that, it's pretty much up to us, with a touch of convenience" I imagine it'd be easy to negotiate any DR content, including music
  • "There are a lot of things to take into account when deciding characters"
  • "Does the character have something inherently unique about them?" A DR protag that implements the minigames, truth bullets, etc would be very unique
  • "Can that be used to make Smash Bros more interesting?" Kind of already answered but yes
  • "Is the character a representative character [for the source material]?" A hesitant yes, but when people think of DR, they tend to think of either Monokuma or the characters, and Makoto in particular kind of embodies the whole hope theme
  • "Do they conflict at all with other characters?" Nope, they'd be completely unique should they get in
  • "Was there anything about them that stood out when we began development?" Already answered
  • As for those that don't make the cut, he says "Characters from a series that has no future are rarely chosen. Also, fighters that switch models are a different matter" Again, Danganronpa S would've been in development during the second fighter pass' selection process, so definitely not a dormant franchise at that point. And when it comes to different models, Sakurai said we'll have to wait a little while for this last one, the different alts could be why

so yeah, odds are in our favor

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
surprised this thread hasn't mentioned that Danganronpa S is going to be exclusive to Switch. It's also probably worth mentioning that Spike Chunsoft has made all the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games, so they have a decent connection to Nintendo as well

Also I found an old Sakurai interview where he detailed the selection process behind fighters and though about seeing if DR fit the bill

"We conduct a character popularity poll both domestically and internationally" Monokuma placed in the top 40 most wanted Smash characters in a poll conducted by Source Gaming about a year ago, I imagine the requests have only gone up since then, especially since a lot of characters that placed ahead of him have either been deconfirmed or just lost consistent support
  • "We also research games that are currently being developed." Danganronpa S would've been getting developed in 2020
  • "After that, it's pretty much up to us, with a touch of convenience" I imagine it'd be easy to negotiate any DR content, including music
  • "There are a lot of things to take into account when deciding characters"
  • "Does the character have something inherently unique about them?" A DR protag that implements the minigames, truth bullets, etc would be very unique
  • "Can that be used to make Smash Bros more interesting?" Kind of already answered but yes
  • "Is the character a representative character [for the source material]?" A hesitant yes, but when people think of DR, they tend to think of either Monokuma or the characters, and Makoto in particular kind of embodies the whole hope theme
  • "Do they conflict at all with other characters?" Nope, they'd be completely unique should they get in
  • "Was there anything about them that stood out when we began development?" Already answered
  • As for those that don't make the cut, he says "Characters from a series that has no future are rarely chosen. Also, fighters that switch models are a different matter" Again, Danganronpa S would've been in development during the second fighter pass' selection process, so definitely not a dormant franchise at that point. And when it comes to different models, Sakurai said we'll have to wait a little while for this last one, the different alts could be why

so yeah, odds are in our favor
While they haven't announced anything related to S on other platforms, the fact Decadence was described as a "physical exclusive" in the Direct makes me think it is only a matter of time before they announce S on other platforms as a digital-only release...

I'm not particularly confidant in DR's odds, honestly. Yes, the release timing is good and Nintendo and Spike Chunsoft have a good working relationship, but there's just so many other IPs and companies that also could bring unique things to Smash and are from companies that Nintendo are close too. I mean, Spike Chunsoft is currently joined by Koei Tecmo, Brace Yourself Games, and MAGES as developers who have made Nintendo games but don't have their own internally-owned IPs in Smash... At this point, there's one character left and just a whole lot of competition.

amageish

Smash Master
Welp, we've got swimsuit designs for everyone! Spoilers for the franchise sprites in that image... Woo-hoo!

I do really like these swimsuit designs, though I still really feel like the women with athleticism-based talents should have some sort of visible muscle mass. It's also kind of funny that Junko wears a competition swimsuit and not, you know, Hina. The competitive swimmer.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Welp, we've got swimsuit designs for everyone! Spoilers for the franchise sprites in that image... Woo-hoo!

I do really like these swimsuit designs, though I still really feel like the women with athleticism-based talents should have some sort of visible muscle mass. It's also kind of funny that Junko wears a competition swimsuit and not, you know, Hina. The competitive swimmer.
Couple things:

1. Looks like not every UDG character will be added. People seemed particularly upset about Yuta (I think that's what their name was, I actually don't know much about UDG).
2. Keebo. That's it, that's the comment.
3. Fun fact: apparently Kyoko and Hina's swimsuits are a reference to one of the animes (I think DR3), though I can't remember exactly how.
4. I think Mikan might have her own gravitational pull with that swimsuit...

amageish

Smash Master
Couple things:

1. Looks like not every UDG character will be added. People seemed particularly upset about Yuta (I think that's what their name was, I actually don't know much about UDG).
2. Keebo. That's it, that's the comment.
3. Fun fact: apparently Kyoko and Hina's swimsuits are a reference to one of the animes (I think DR3), though I can't remember exactly how.
4. I think Mikan might have her own gravitational pull with that swimsuit...
1. Yeah, Hina's brother is currently MIA, as are... most of the other supporting characters, really. Apparently there are a few characters in the game not shown yet though, which I assume must all be from UDG or the anime, unless they're getting REALLY creative from roster selection.
2. Keebo indeed. Keebo.
3. Ahhhh, that would make sense. I believe there was a swimsuit scene in one of them, so consistency is nice...
4. Place your bets on which characters are going to flirt with and/or harass Mikan in that outfit. As, yeah, she looks fanservice-y by fanservice standards. I'm guessing Tenko's going to end up throwing down with Teruteru for her honour, given the relationship she had with Mikan in UTDP.

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
I was hoping Sonia would keep her swimsuit from DR2, just for the lols, but I guess they wanted to deliver some fan service instead.

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
I was hoping Sonia would keep her swimsuit from DR2, just for the lols, but I guess they wanted to deliver some fan service instead.

edit: why was this send twice????

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
I mean, a couple characters do still get wetsuits, but yeah... She didn't get to keep hers for, uh, somewhat obvious fanservice reasons...

amageish

Smash Master

New Decadence trailer is out, featuring some of the swimsuits in glorious HD.

Also, we... still haven't seen the actual dungeon designs in S, have we? I'm fairly certain it will just be a lighthearted spin-off because of false advertising laws, but I find that quite odd, especially with the confirmation that the 3D game hires which people (including me) thought would be for an UDG2 are actually for S. So... What will do y'all think the dungeons will look like?

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Also, we... still haven't seen the actual dungeon designs in S, have we? I'm fairly certain it will just be a lighthearted spin-off because of false advertising laws, but I find that quite odd, especially with the confirmation that the 3D game hires which people (including me) thought would be for an UDG2 are actually for S. So... What will do y'all think the dungeons will look like?
Calling it not, one of the dungeons is a reference to the Love Hotel from V3.

Complete with random horses.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord

I'm still holding out hope that there's gonna be some hint towards DR4 somewhere in this lol, so maybe it's in the dungeons or something.

amageish

Smash Master
Calling it not, one of the dungeons is a reference to the Love Hotel from V3.

Complete with random horses.
That wouldn't surprise me. They already covered all the main locations in UTDP, so I imagine they'll need to start reaching.

I'm still holding out hope that there's gonna be some hint towards DR4 somewhere in this lol, so maybe it's in the dungeons or something.
I could see a tease for something being in the Gallery as a completion bonus, if nothing else. Idk how the game itself would be canon, unless they play into V3's metanarrative by having DRS being a promotional game made by Team Danganronpa?

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
That wouldn't surprise me. They already covered all the main locations in UTDP, so I imagine they'll need to start reaching.

I could see a tease for something being in the Gallery as a completion bonus, if nothing else. Idk how the game itself would be canon, unless they play into V3's metanarrative by having DRS being a promotional game made by Team Danganronpa?
That would be hilarious if they went that route...then again, that might have fans ask several questions.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
If they do that, then I want them to do what Suda51 did in Travis Strikes Again: drop the player in a game dev testing spot, let them wander around a bit, then have Monokuma say, "Where are we? We're in development." Cue logo tease.

The fanbase will NEVER recover...

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
I know you're probably doing a joke buuuuut... Please God no haha, I loved the main DR trilogy, really I did. And I think that Hope's Peak made for a real cool setting. But can we pleeeease get a full reboot in terms of cast and setting for the next game. I need it.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I know you're probably doing a joke buuuuut... Please God no haha, I loved the main DR trilogy, really I did. And I think that Hope's Peak made for a real cool setting. But can we pleeeease get a full reboot in terms of cast and setting for the next game. I need it.
Wonder how that would work. I know plenty of "Fanganronpa"s are able to do it, but would the main devs be willing to?

amageish

Smash Master
Oh, yes, I love V3 and think its ending's ambiguity is key to it. I would not want any future canon content to take place in its timeline.

Wonder how that would work. I know plenty of "Fanganronpa"s are able to do it, but would the main devs be willing to?
I mean, the main devs have largely left for Too Kyo Games at this point. I think it'd almost make more sense for them to reset the world and do a new timeline if they wanted to continue working with the DR IP, rather then muck about in the one made by people who they would have to constantly get approval from.

Summer Camp did get the writers of V3's FTEs to return, but I don't think it'd be practical to just keep borrowing the staff from the old games for future projects. Writing some dialogue for a comedy game is quite different then for a proper murder mystery...

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
Whats up with this specific picture of Nagito having a glitch effect when it's shown off in the trailer?:

danganronpa s nagito.png

In the Direct reveal, it also has a glitchy effect (done intentionally, ofcourse), might this be a hint that there's something much deeper in Danganronpa S?

Or maybe I'm just overthinking stuff, haha.

amageish

Smash Master
Whats up with this specific picture of Nagito having a glitch effect when it's shown off in the trailer?:

In the Direct reveal, it also has a glitchy effect (done intentionally, ofcourse), might this be a hint that there's something much deeper in Danganronpa S?

Or maybe I'm just overthinking stuff, haha.
Well, it's a shot-for-shot recreation of the opening of DR2, where Nagito has that glitch effect on him to foreshadow that they're all in a simulation (honestly, I know every DR game does the "Prologue actually has a tonne of hints you're supposed to be too overwhelmed/busy to notice" thing, but I think DR2 may slightly overdo it on the simulation hints). So, I'm guessing it implies their "summer vacation" is just to the simulation world of DR2?

I guess maybe the board game mode could be in the simulation, with them using the skills they build up in it in the dungeons which take place outside of the simulation? Maybe? Idk.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I really hope S isn't a bait-and-switch. I just don't think there should be anything post-V3 and a fun comedy board game with a ton of character interactions is about all I'm interested in right now.

I do think it's interesting that there are a bunch of potentially playable characters we don't know yet. I'm guessing we're getting some anime and light novel-onlies, which would be fun. Or maybe (DR1 spoilers) Undisguised Mukuro Ikusaba? Please?

Top Bottom